TESTERS WANTED! ×

What would you rather put in your bag 2 iron or hybrid why or why not?

Just now, Blake Alexander said:

Just looking for what people personally prefer I’d rather have an iron so I could use it off tee as well as if I needed to punch out of somewhere just all around. 

I would try both honesty and see what you’re more comfortable with. Worst thing is to have a club you aren’t fully comfortable with and try hitting under pressure. I’m a huge fan of the hybrid. Love using it around the green as well!

That's easy. Even tour players are not using 2 irons unless they are in the upper echelon. The way the hybrid is constructed, it offers all kinds of help in getting the ball in the air with enough spin that it will actually do what you want. A 2 iron would be fun just to try out but hell no in day to day play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I personally as i have gotten older (42 ) have gone to hybrids. I am looking at ditching my 4 iron soon and adding another one. I feel ii can shape them and control them better then long irons. 

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver

:taylormade-small: M2 3 wood

Titleist 915 hybrid 

Titleist TMB 4-5

Titleist AP2 irons 6 - PW

:cleveland-small: 52 / 58/ 60 W

Scotty Cameron x5/ TaylorMade spider tour/Ping Answer 2 

I may be the odd one, but I think I prefer the 2i to the hybrid. That said, I currently have a hybrid and the 4i is my lowest blade. But I’ve always enjoyed hitting irons. Some of my all time favorite shots are rippin long irons off the tee! I was pretty bummed after I got my AP1s and found out they don’t make a 3i. 

Edited by Jason24
  • Driver: Titleist TSr4 8º, Graphite Design Tour AD 6x
  • 3W: Titleist TSi2 13.5º, Project X 8x
  • 2i: Taylormade P790, HZRDOUS 6.0
  • 4i-6i: Mizuno Pro 225, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 7i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 50º; 54º; 60º: Mizuno T22
  • Putter: Evnroll Ev 5.1

2-iron all day for me.  I couldnt never hit a hybrid very well.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have carry both a 2 Iron and a Hybrid, I just bough the hybrid in February. I can still him the two iron but as another side just not as consistent as in my younger days. Depends what you are looking for. If you want something off the team I would use a hybrid I can consistently get off the team and it is generally 20-30 years longer then my 2 iron. Now if you are in trouble  and need a punch shot you need a iron for that in my opinion. I would work on your 3 or 4 and take the 2 out of your bag that is my plan. 

I used to carrry a 2 iron back in the day.  I don't think I ever hit it too often.  Now that I don't play as often I carry a 3 hybrid and have recently put a 17 degree 5 wood in the bag.  The 5 wood launches a little higher than my 3 wood that is set at 14.5 and carries just a little less.  I can hit the hybrid and 5 wood both well off the tee and on the deck.  If I have to drop a club I think I'd lean towards the hybrid and keep the 5 wood in.  I feel just a fraction more confident with the 5 wood at the moment.

Driver:  Taylormade '16 9.5* M1 Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH

3 Wood: Cobra F7 14.5 Degree Aldila DVS Fairway 75X

5 Wood: Taylormade R15 17 degree Fujikura Speeder 67 S

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie and 1* strong

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Oddysey White Hot #7 Fang, Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Mallet, Callaway S2H2

I use a TM 16* 2 rescue that I can work really easy. It's gotten me out of some really tough spots. I don't feel like I could do the same with a 2 iron.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

I use a hybrid over an iron, gets in the air much faster.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

There is a case for having a hybrid in the bag. I have yet to see a player to hit 2 or 3 iron anywhere else than fairway whereas I (even with limited skills) always loved hitting hybrid from funky lies in all sorts of conditions. So if someone can get along with the hybrid, I highly recommend them to use it.

Unfortunately I have love/hate relationship with the hybrid and since I struggle more with direction than height I prefer to use my Srixon Z U65 3 iron (lofted from 20 to 19 degrees). Its still a forgiving high launching chunky monkey so it behaves quite similar to the hybrid. I reserve the hybrid for winter and damp months to get that extra carry when there is virtualy no roll out.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

I would say 2 iron for me, it's harder to hook it. My miss with a hybrid is off the planet left. I like being able to hit my clubs as far as possible, however I would take a chunked 2 iron at the flag then a 20 yard hook. If someone hits it straight I would absolutely say go hybrid to get some height coming into a green.  And if you hit it long and straight use whatever you want, just don't rub it in my face lol

I just love when my opponents pull out a long iron, i just think "Dreamer"

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

Along with the reasons you give, I'm not a big wood fan...Love Irons, so I would look to the 2 iron. Utilize my 3 iron off the tee for most par 4's under 380 or so, unless their near reachable with Driver. 

18 Replies.

12 for hybrids

6 for 2 irons

Pretty typical responses when it comes to equipment advice and the uniqueness of individual swings. Best bet is to see what works for you, I would say a fitting but the problem with fitting this type of club is you are hitting off a perfect lie. A lot of times this club will be used in unorthodox situations. 

I have carried both but neither are in the bag now. 5w replaced them, for now...

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I don't know many who can legitimately hit one and honestly how many club manufacturers are even making them anymore. tech has taken us so far why would you go backwards other than to say hey look I gots a 2 iron. Id say its just a waste of space in the bag. Hybrid or wood will give u better results. especially for 98-99 percent of us on here...

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

I’ll go with a 2 utility iron over a hybrid or traditional 2 iron. They’re nearly idiot proof; it’s point and shoot.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I’m rolling with a 2 utitly iron, but mainly because of wind. Where I play, 25+mph winds are typical on any given day, and hitting high floating hybrids just doesn’t work out well. (Not to mention I struggle to hit them.) But having a club that I can use for a reliable stinger both off the tee and on some par 5s is quite valuable.

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think you have to try out both. No matter what your handicap, if you hit your long irons well and consistency, check out the utility irons. If you cannot, maybe a higher launching (and softer landing) hybrid is the right choice. I actually have both in my bag. My Callaway Rogue irons are 5-AW so I have a TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 iron in my bag as well as a Callaway Rogue hybrid 19 degree. I also own a Gapr Lo 2 iron but struggle with consistency. I generally only put it in the bag for extremely windy days (very good for punching out though!). 

Visit my blog! Cruskatergolf.com for reviews, pictures, travel tips, and more!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9*,  Project X Hrzdus Black 65

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Fairway 15* 

Callaway Rogue Hybrid 19*

TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 Iron 

Callaway Rogue Irons (5-AW) Dynamic Gold X100

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Wedges 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus / Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 Cobalt Blue

1 hour ago, Cruskater said:

I think you have to try out both. No matter what your handicap, if you hit your long irons well and consistency, check out the utility irons. If you cannot, maybe a higher launching (and softer landing) hybrid is the right choice. I actually have both in my bag. My Callaway Rogue irons are 5-AW so I have a TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 iron in my bag as well as a Callaway Rogue hybrid 19 degree. I also own a Gapr Lo 2 iron but struggle with consistency. I generally only put it in the bag for extremely windy days (very good for punching out though!). 

This.  It seems like the choice of hybrid or long iron is based upon handicap but theres plenty of mid handicappers who play long irons quite well, myself included and back in the old days, before hybrids were invented (modern ones anyways), people managed to figure out how to hit long irons, so its not impossible.

IMO, a lot of it is that people are told that theyre supposed to be playing hybrids and have a mental image that long irons are impossible to hit unless you are highly skilled, so they dont even really bother to try.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm currently in the 2 iron category with a 2 g410 crossover. Absolutely love it, however with all that being said I will be open and willing to look at a hybrid for this upcoming season. Currently Cobra is top of the list for it's versatility.

The crossover has been a great club and when I'm on with it hard to find a better club for me off the tee, that being said it does have moments where it's well tricky.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 4/18/2020 at 1:43 AM, Blake Alexander said:

Just looking for what people personally prefer I’d rather have an iron so I could use it off tee as well as if I needed to punch out of somewhere just all around. 

First off, welcome to the forums!

Secondly... you obviously haven't seen how low I can hit a hybrid, so I'll forgive you.  The only way a 2 iron (in current lofts) is getting into my bag is if some sad sap forgets it on the tee box and I toss it in there to bring it to the club house! 🤣

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 iron. I can't hit it or a hybrid, but at least it'd be a great club to punch out with 😆

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

2-irons are for golfers with the club speed to get them in the air.  If you don't have the speed, hybrids are the choice, or maybe a high-lofted FW.  I have to hit hybrids, and I can hit them low or high, and they go reasonably straight.  A 2-iron goes straight also, but it doesn't go high enough to be any use other than off the tee, and I can hit hybrids just as far.

That doesn't mean that higher swing speed players would choose a 2-iron over a hybrid.  Many like hybrids, and they are very popular on tour especially with the Champions tour.  If someone doesn't hit a hybrid very well, it's likely that particular club doesn't fit their swing.  Other hybrids might be a better choice.  I was selected a few years ago to test the new Ben Hogan hybrid.  I can hit most hybrids about the same, but that one was no good for me; no altitude and always a fade.  If I had a 2-iron, I would hit it better.  So don't give up on hybrids.  They are very useful clubs, but get the one that fits your swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2-irons are for golfers with the club speed to get them in the air.  If you don't have the speed, hybrids are the choice, or maybe a high-lofted FW.  I have to hit hybrids, and I can hit them low or high, and they go reasonably straight.  A 2-iron goes straight also, but it doesn't go high enough to be any use other than off the tee, and I can hit hybrids just as far.
That doesn't mean that higher swing speed players would choose a 2-iron over a hybrid.  Many like hybrids, and they are very popular on tour especially with the Champions tour.  If someone doesn't hit a hybrid very well, it's likely that particular club doesn't fit their swing.  Other hybrids might be a better choice.  I was selected a few years ago to test the new Ben Hogan hybrid.  I can hit most hybrids about the same, but that one was no good for me; no altitude and always a fade.  If I had a 2-iron, I would hit it better.  So don't give up on hybrids.  They are very useful clubs, but get the one that fits your swing.

Bingo.

A gigantic a-ha moment was Tiger putting a 5 wood in play to replace the 2 iron.

Technology is our friend and there are so many people who are depriving themselves of a better game by not adapting.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/