TESTERS WANTED! ×

What would you rather put in your bag 2 iron or hybrid why or why not?

2 iron no doubt.  I hit a 2 iron off the tee and KNOW where it is going, even when I miss I know where it will go.  My hybrid I can't say the same thing.  I can hook that club as quick as I can fade it.  I carry both, a 2 iron and a 3 hybrid but I rarely hit the hybrid because of this. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Neither for me. I had my fitting and we landed on the 5 wood being the best option.

The best way to find the answer is to try for yourself. Get fitted, or do a self-fitting by trying out the different options.

Also, know what you want the club to do. Is it for the tee box only, is it for rescue shots, long approaches, etc. That can help you narrow down your choices.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I generally have a high launch with my natural swing so I've been fitted into mostly low launch/trajectory clubs. The hybrid works well for me from fairway or first cut but I've had more success with a long iron off the tee and in the thicker rough. Again, as many have said, there is no one size fits all approach. My hybrid (19*) carry distance is a bit further than the 4 iron (22*), but when you take into account total distance (and the roll of the 4 iron), they are not overly different. I added the 4 iron because I wanted to close the gap between my 5 iron and my hybrid. 

Visit my blog! Cruskatergolf.com for reviews, pictures, travel tips, and more!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9*,  Project X Hrzdus Black 65

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Fairway 15* 

Callaway Rogue Hybrid 19*

TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 Iron 

Callaway Rogue Irons (5-AW) Dynamic Gold X100

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Wedges 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus / Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 Cobalt Blue

I am one of those lucky golfers who can hit a 2 iron, even a 1 iron and I have several in the cupboard. When I had  to change my clubs from Wilson blades I found that the majority of clubs had changed there lofts. So my Wilson 3 Iron 21 Degrees was now my Callaway Steelhead Pro 4 iron and hence the 3 iron is close to a 2 iron at 19 degrees. I ended up also getting an 18 degree hybrid as it has a longer shaft than a 3 iron.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

I have a 20* Adams Proto G hybrid and a Mizuno 18* cut muscle FliHi I switch between. Adams is typically high with draws bias for me. The FliHi is low with fade bias. Both are similar total distance. I switch between both depending on course and playing conditions. 

It depends on the courses you play as well as your ability off the tee to find the fairway. How thick is the rough? If the course has medium to thick rough, I would prefer to put a hybrid in the bag. Its a club you can still hit off the tee and will save you when playing from the rough. If the course has little to no rough and is a links style course then a 2 iron would be in my bag. The hybrid is a lot more versatile in the types of lies you can use it. While the 2-iron gives you more workability and control of the ball. I put a GaparLo 2-iron in my bag because I play on a lot of courses with med to little rough and it is a little bit more versatile then a regular 2-iron. Its kind-of-a mix between the two.

M5 7.5Deg UST Proforce V2 tipped 1" strong 70g X

M5 Rocket 3 14deg UST Proforce V2  70g X

GaparLo 2 17deg KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X

4-iron Titleist T-MB Project X 6.5

5-Pw Taylormade P7TW Project X 6.5

52 Slate Blue Vokey SM7 Project X 6.5

56 Jet Black Vokey SM7 Project X 6.0

60 HiToe Mill Grind Project X 6.0

Hands down a hybrid. Works off the tee, works off the fairway, works from off the fairway in most situations better than a 2 iron, can be used for bump and runs around the green easier, works better from tight lies. The scenarios (off the top of my head) where a 2 iron (I'm assuming a contemporary-style utility 2 iron) might have an advantage is if you are an extremely high launch, high spin player, or if you are a player who can often hook a ball. Certain models of hybrids can exaggerate a hook, but just choose a model without huge draw bias.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

2 iron. I cannot hit a hybrid, no clue why, just can’t do it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Good read below. Overall for me I preferred irons before I found the right hybrid for me (also I got better at golf lol). Hybrid for sure, works fantastic off the tee and can hit it from any lie really. 

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-blog/hybrid-v-utility-iron-v-long-iron-carry-142562

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Given that golf is a difficult game at the best of times, I’d opt for whichever type of club gives you the best result, most often. A 2 iron is an intimidating club unless you play off single figures I’d say. Hybrids are, by design, more forgiving and have a greater utility on the course in general.