Blake Alexander

What would you rather put in your bag 2 iron or hybrid why or why not?

Our Sponsors

I don't know many who can legitimately hit one and honestly how many club manufacturers are even making them anymore. tech has taken us so far why would you go backwards other than to say hey look I gots a 2 iron. Id say its just a waste of space in the bag. Hybrid or wood will give u better results. especially for 98-99 percent of us on here...

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Hybrid 19* W/ Graphite Design Tour AD-105 S-shaft

:srixon-small: Z585 4-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & 60* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

I’ll go with a 2 utility iron over a hybrid or traditional 2 iron. They’re nearly idiot proof; it’s point and shoot.

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

Posted (edited)

I’m rolling with a 2 utitly iron, but mainly because of wind. Where I play, 25+mph winds are typical on any given day, and hitting high floating hybrids just doesn’t work out well. (Not to mention I struggle to hit them.) But having a club that I can use for a reliable stinger both off the tee and on some par 5s is quite valuable.

Edited by GB13
  • Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think you have to try out both. No matter what your handicap, if you hit your long irons well and consistency, check out the utility irons. If you cannot, maybe a higher launching (and softer landing) hybrid is the right choice. I actually have both in my bag. My Callaway Rogue irons are 5-AW so I have a TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 iron in my bag as well as a Callaway Rogue hybrid 19 degree. I also own a Gapr Lo 2 iron but struggle with consistency. I generally only put it in the bag for extremely windy days (very good for punching out though!). 

• Like 1

Visit my blog! Cruskatergolf.com for reviews, pictures, travel tips, and more!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9*,  Project X Hrzdus Black 65

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Fairway 15* 

Callaway Rogue Hybrid 19*

TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 Iron 

Callaway Rogue Irons (5-AW) Dynamic Gold X100

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Wedges 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus / Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 Cobalt Blue

1 hour ago, Cruskater said:

I think you have to try out both. No matter what your handicap, if you hit your long irons well and consistency, check out the utility irons. If you cannot, maybe a higher launching (and softer landing) hybrid is the right choice. I actually have both in my bag. My Callaway Rogue irons are 5-AW so I have a TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 iron in my bag as well as a Callaway Rogue hybrid 19 degree. I also own a Gapr Lo 2 iron but struggle with consistency. I generally only put it in the bag for extremely windy days (very good for punching out though!). 

This.  It seems like the choice of hybrid or long iron is based upon handicap but theres plenty of mid handicappers who play long irons quite well, myself included and back in the old days, before hybrids were invented (modern ones anyways), people managed to figure out how to hit long irons, so its not impossible.

IMO, a lot of it is that people are told that theyre supposed to be playing hybrids and have a mental image that long irons are impossible to hit unless you are highly skilled, so they dont even really bother to try.

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm currently in the 2 iron category with a 2 g410 crossover. Absolutely love it, however with all that being said I will be open and willing to look at a hybrid for this upcoming season. Currently Cobra is top of the list for it's versatility.

The crossover has been a great club and when I'm on with it hard to find a better club for me off the tee, that being said it does have moments where it's well tricky.

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of May 14, 2020

SWING SPEED- 100

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

On 4/18/2020 at 1:43 AM, Blake Alexander said:

Just looking for what people personally prefer I’d rather have an iron so I could use it off tee as well as if I needed to punch out of somewhere just all around. 

First off, welcome to the forums!

Secondly... you obviously haven't seen how low I can hit a hybrid, so I'll forgive you.  The only way a 2 iron (in current lofts) is getting into my bag is if some sad sap forgets it on the tee box and I toss it in there to bring it to the club house! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

2 iron. I can't hit it or a hybrid, but at least it'd be a great club to punch out with 😆

• Haha 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

2-irons are for golfers with the club speed to get them in the air.  If you don't have the speed, hybrids are the choice, or maybe a high-lofted FW.  I have to hit hybrids, and I can hit them low or high, and they go reasonably straight.  A 2-iron goes straight also, but it doesn't go high enough to be any use other than off the tee, and I can hit hybrids just as far.

That doesn't mean that higher swing speed players would choose a 2-iron over a hybrid.  Many like hybrids, and they are very popular on tour especially with the Champions tour.  If someone doesn't hit a hybrid very well, it's likely that particular club doesn't fit their swing.  Other hybrids might be a better choice.  I was selected a few years ago to test the new Ben Hogan hybrid.  I can hit most hybrids about the same, but that one was no good for me; no altitude and always a fade.  If I had a 2-iron, I would hit it better.  So don't give up on hybrids.  They are very useful clubs, but get the one that fits your swing.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2-irons are for golfers with the club speed to get them in the air.  If you don't have the speed, hybrids are the choice, or maybe a high-lofted FW.  I have to hit hybrids, and I can hit them low or high, and they go reasonably straight.  A 2-iron goes straight also, but it doesn't go high enough to be any use other than off the tee, and I can hit hybrids just as far.
That doesn't mean that higher swing speed players would choose a 2-iron over a hybrid.  Many like hybrids, and they are very popular on tour especially with the Champions tour.  If someone doesn't hit a hybrid very well, it's likely that particular club doesn't fit their swing.  Other hybrids might be a better choice.  I was selected a few years ago to test the new Ben Hogan hybrid.  I can hit most hybrids about the same, but that one was no good for me; no altitude and always a fade.  If I had a 2-iron, I would hit it better.  So don't give up on hybrids.  They are very useful clubs, but get the one that fits your swing.

Bingo.

A gigantic a-ha moment was Tiger putting a 5 wood in play to replace the 2 iron.

Technology is our friend and there are so many people who are depriving themselves of a better game by not adapting.
  • Like 2

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

2 iron no doubt.  I hit a 2 iron off the tee and KNOW where it is going, even when I miss I know where it will go.  My hybrid I can't say the same thing.  I can hook that club as quick as I can fade it.  I carry both, a 2 iron and a 3 hybrid but I rarely hit the hybrid because of this. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

Neither for me. I had my fitting and we landed on the 5 wood being the best option.

The best way to find the answer is to try for yourself. Get fitted, or do a self-fitting by trying out the different options.

Also, know what you want the club to do. Is it for the tee box only, is it for rescue shots, long approaches, etc. That can help you narrow down your choices.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH - Aldila Synergy Blue 50 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I generally have a high launch with my natural swing so I've been fitted into mostly low launch/trajectory clubs. The hybrid works well for me from fairway or first cut but I've had more success with a long iron off the tee and in the thicker rough. Again, as many have said, there is no one size fits all approach. My hybrid (19*) carry distance is a bit further than the 4 iron (22*), but when you take into account total distance (and the roll of the 4 iron), they are not overly different. I added the 4 iron because I wanted to close the gap between my 5 iron and my hybrid. 

Visit my blog! Cruskatergolf.com for reviews, pictures, travel tips, and more!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9*,  Project X Hrzdus Black 65

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Fairway 15* 

Callaway Rogue Hybrid 19*

TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 Iron 

Callaway Rogue Irons (5-AW) Dynamic Gold X100

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Wedges 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus / Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 Cobalt Blue

I am one of those lucky golfers who can hit a 2 iron, even a 1 iron and I have several in the cupboard. When I had  to change my clubs from Wilson blades I found that the majority of clubs had changed there lofts. So my Wilson 3 Iron 21 Degrees was now my Callaway Steelhead Pro 4 iron and hence the 3 iron is close to a 2 iron at 19 degrees. I ended up also getting an 18 degree hybrid as it has a longer shaft than a 3 iron.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

I have a 20* Adams Proto G hybrid and a Mizuno 18* cut muscle FliHi I switch between. Adams is typically high with draws bias for me. The FliHi is low with fade bias. Both are similar total distance. I switch between both depending on course and playing conditions. 

• Like 1

It depends on the courses you play as well as your ability off the tee to find the fairway. How thick is the rough? If the course has medium to thick rough, I would prefer to put a hybrid in the bag. Its a club you can still hit off the tee and will save you when playing from the rough. If the course has little to no rough and is a links style course then a 2 iron would be in my bag. The hybrid is a lot more versatile in the types of lies you can use it. While the 2-iron gives you more workability and control of the ball. I put a GaparLo 2-iron in my bag because I play on a lot of courses with med to little rough and it is a little bit more versatile then a regular 2-iron. Its kind-of-a mix between the two.

M5 7.5Deg UST Proforce V2 tipped 1" strong 70g X

M5 Rocket 3 14deg UST Proforce V2  70g X

GaparLo 2 17deg KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X

4-iron Titleist T-MB Project X 6.5

5-Pw Taylormade P7TW Project X 6.5

52 Slate Blue Vokey SM7 Project X 6.5

56 Jet Black Vokey SM7 Project X 6.0

60 HiToe Mill Grind Project X 6.0

Hands down a hybrid. Works off the tee, works off the fairway, works from off the fairway in most situations better than a 2 iron, can be used for bump and runs around the green easier, works better from tight lies. The scenarios (off the top of my head) where a 2 iron (I'm assuming a contemporary-style utility 2 iron) might have an advantage is if you are an extremely high launch, high spin player, or if you are a player who can often hook a ball. Certain models of hybrids can exaggerate a hook, but just choose a model without huge draw bias.

:cobra-small:            Cobra F9 10.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

:srixon-small:                     H85 16° and 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

:mizuno-small:                    MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 51°, 8° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 55°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 59°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:yes-small:                         Tracy 33"

:bridgestone-small:      Tour BX

2 iron. I cannot hit a hybrid, no clue why, just can’t do it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Currently deciding between :Arccos:  and the :ShotScope:  V3

Good read below. Overall for me I preferred irons before I found the right hybrid for me (also I got better at golf lol). Hybrid for sure, works fantastic off the tee and can hit it from any lie really. 

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-blog/hybrid-v-utility-iron-v-long-iron-carry-142562

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125 VS :titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Given that golf is a difficult game at the best of times, I’d opt for whichever type of club gives you the best result, most often. A 2 iron is an intimidating club unless you play off single figures I’d say. Hybrids are, by design, more forgiving and have a greater utility on the course in general.