Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Good Feel Irons for reasonable price (sub 800$)

tj2kgolfer

I am looking to find an upgrade in the iron department. as a college student I can't go out and break the bank on shiny new compact irons. I'd like some opinions on cost effective options with in the price range of under 800$. i was considering a set of ben hogan PTX pros. I am looking for something with a compact shape, minimal offset, and a reasonable top line. to keep it short I want to have solid feel but have a tad bit of help. Love to get some good opinons.

You can get a set of used 718 AP2's for a good price I'm sure. Definitely check those out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

If you look at AP2's, I'd also look at the 2016 Cobra Forged Tec or the black ones that followed. Soft and forgiving. Ping I200's are also in the same bracket and should be able to pick them up at a reasonable price.

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think Mizuno's JPX line is not only great looking but they are some of the highest ranked irons in MGS's Most Wanted testing. I'd been playing JPX825s for about 6 years and love them, but wanted to modernize a bit myself. So I found an 8 club used set in like-new condition of JPX919 Forged from Global Golf on eBay for less than $700. I personally think they tick all of your boxes AND they're a current club line (at least until fall when they're scheduled to come out with an update). I figure if the JPX line is good enough for Brooks Koepka, its good enough for me! (Obviously what club ANY pro plays is meaningless to what works for me. But it's the only way I'll ever have to connect my name to Brooks Keopka, so I'm going with it!!! 😀

But the bottom line is that there are a lot of great clubs out there. A good place to start is by looking at the last several year's Most Wanted lists to objectively narrow things down a bit from a performance standpoint, then look at the subjective comments to come up with a couple to try. Good luck!

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft

8 hours ago, tj2kgolfer said:

I am looking to find an upgrade in the iron department. as a college student I can't go out and break the bank on shiny new compact irons. I'd like some opinions on cost effective options with in the price range of under 800$. i was considering a set of ben hogan PTX pros. I am looking for something with a compact shape, minimal offset, and a reasonable top line. to keep it short I want to have solid feel but have a tad bit of help. Love to get some good opinons.

Used clubs are always an option.  You can find clubs that are a year or two old within that price range.   If new is your desired direction the DTC market like Hogan and Sub70 are a great option.  The only drawback to the DTC market would be resale if you decided you didn't like them but most offer a low cost demo option.   Sub70 even posts demo/slightly used sets on their social media accounts for even more discount.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, MIgregb said:

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think Mizuno's JPX line is not only great looking but they are some of the highest ranked irons in MGS's Most Wanted testing. I'd been playing JPX825s for about 6 years and love them, but wanted to modernize a bit myself. So I found an 8 club used set in like-new condition of JPX919 Forged from Global Golf on eBay for less than $700. I personally think they tick all of your boxes AND they're a current club line (at least until fall when they're scheduled to come out with an update). I figure if the JPX line is good enough for Brooks Koepka, its good enough for me! (Obviously what club ANY pro plays is meaningless to what works for me. But it's the only way I'll ever have to connect my name to Brooks Keopka, so I'm going with it!!! 😀

But the bottom line is that there are a lot of great clubs out there. A good place to start is by looking at the last several year's Most Wanted lists to objectively narrow things down a bit from a performance standpoint, then look at the subjective comments to come up with a couple to try. Good luck!

I play the 919Forged and I hit the taylormade P790's the other day, IMO they felt like butter and better than the Mizunos. Sacrilege, I know.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

9 minutes ago, beelzeberto said:

I play the 919Forged and I hit the taylormade P790's the other day, IMO they felt like butter and better than the Mizunos. Sacrilege, I know.

I know they were neck-and-neck with the JPX919 Forged in the 2019 Most Wanted testing and were even rated best for forgiveness. But I haven't hit a Taylormade iron, other than my nephew's old RocketBlade, in years so I couldn't say myself. Taylormade sells a ton of them, though, so they must be doing something right!

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft

3 hours ago, beelzeberto said:

Not at all. Everyone is different and everyone perceives things differently. If you think the Titelists feel better than the Mizzy's... cool!

21 hours ago, tj2kgolfer said:

I've taken a look at sub 70s I am definitely saving my money for those. Thanks for the input everyone!

19 hours ago, silver & black said:

Not at all. Everyone is different and everyone perceives things differently. If you think the Titelists feel better than the Mizzy's... cool!

I will definitely say what is buttery soft to one man could be perceived as terrible feel to another. Feel is in the hands of each and every golfer. The way we interpret said feel is so different.

Ping i200's or i210's either would be a great pick up.  I have played both and I currently game the i210's, which I love.  The i210's have a little more compact look to them and feel softer to me.  I have had friends hit them and ask if they are forged.  I know hard to believe a cast iron can feel like a forged iron, but they do!!.  Very forgiving and are true to standard lofts, which is another reason I like them.  Give them a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Hit'em straight and not too often!!!