Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Scratch - Don White Custom Grin Set

• SPY VIP

These are a set of flat back irons for a customer. The customer custom ordered this grind based on his desired turf interaction.

dw-grind-1.jpg

dw-grind-2.jpg

dw-grind-3.jpg

#TruthDigest

Is that legal?

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I've seen grinds like this on Miura's and, IIRC, by James Patrick. Not trying to be an a-hole, but this grinds look very rough and unfinished in comparison to those. Again, IIRC, I believe the reasoning behind this is to minimize the amount of the sole/turf interaction, like Manavs said, it helps to "cut through" the turf.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Is that legal?

yes, way back 100 years ago they used to have clubs like this

I think he just increased the surface area that can cause drag.

Shambles

Thats exactly why i asked - Shambles you are the smart one here. My thoughts are that the ball from a fw is already gone when you hit it so it wouldnt make that much of a drag. From the rough you have to weigh up drag vs height of grass. if you give the club some space here then the grass can 'comb' itself through as it were cause your already getting drag from the rough. your just aligning the drag. think of it as a waverunner vs a yacht. 10 smaller waverunners together dont create as big a wake as 1 big ship and can cut through faster.

at least thats what i would say.

why on a 5 iron? or any iron longer than a wedge, that has me stumped

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

yes, way back 100 years ago they used to have clubs like this

Thats exactly why i asked - Shambles you are the smart one here. My thoughts are that the ball from a fw is already gone when you hit it so it wouldnt make that much of a drag. From the rough you have to weigh up drag vs height of grass. if you give the club some space here then the grass can 'comb' itself through as it were cause your already getting drag from the rough. your just aligning the drag. think of it as a waverunner vs a yacht. 10 smaller waverunners together dont create as big a wake as 1 big ship and can cut through faster.

at least thats what i would say.

why on a 5 iron? or any iron longer than a wedge, that has me stumped

As it's a customer ordered modification, I'm inclined to suspect the owner of having drag issues from contacting the ground before the ball, thus the attempt to reduce drag. Obviously I am making a blind guess as to purpose. I just have trouble seeing other reasons for this modification. If I am correct in my suspicions, that problem is better solved by those clubs that come with a thicker well rounded leading edge as those clubs are less likely to dig into the ground even in the ultra high cost sandy soil all weather fairways of very expensive courses.

The boat analogy does not work regardless of the reduced wave size. Bottom line is that the total surface area in contact with the water/soil/sand is greater and therefore more drag. If you wanted a fair test of this idea it might be better to reduce the total area of the bounce without reducing the bounce, but not cut into the flange. Even that, however, would probably fail as the total surface area would still be increased and therefore create more drag.

An alternative reason for the customer to order such a modification is to create a conversation piece. That would certainly work if the customer was able to contact the ball correctly. He would be in possession of a club that created a different divot and, provided it did not become a popular design, would identify his club easily in case of loss. :D

Shambles

As it's a customer ordered modification, I'm inclined to suspect the owner of having drag issues from contacting the ground before the ball, thus the attempt to reduce drag. Obviously I am making a blind guess as to purpose. I just have trouble seeing other reasons for this modification. If I am correct in my suspicions, that problem is better solved by those clubs that come with a thicker well rounded leading edge as those clubs are less likely to dig into the ground even in the ultra high cost sandy soil all weather fairways of very expensive courses.

The boat analogy does not work regardless of the reduced wave size. Bottom line is that the total surface area in contact with the water/soil/sand is greater and therefore more drag. If you wanted a fair test of this idea it might be better to reduce the total area of the bounce without reducing the bounce, but not cut into the flange. Even that, however, would probably fail as the total surface area would still be increased and therefore create more drag.

An alternative reason for the customer to order such a modification is to create a conversation piece. That would certainly work if the customer was able to contact the ball correctly. He would be in possession of a club that created a different divot and, provided it did not become a popular design, would identify his club easily in case of loss. :D

Shambles

ill stick to my boat analogy - and maybe reword it. if youve ever been to disney they have the jumping water display

http://youtu.be/F3-I4q9O2fg

the way its done is similar to taking a bundle of drinking straws and tieing them together vs one wide tube. this aligns the molecules of water. so with that said, in essence your getting 6 - 1/8" soles vs 1 - 2.5" sole (apprx),

also if we're trying to reduce drag, i think you and i should get into business adding teflon to the sole biggrin.gif

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Archived