Our Sponsors

23 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I had a problem with consistency and hybrids until I realized my hybrid shaft was too light. I go for 75-85 gram hybrid shafts now instead of 60 grams. Problem solved

It's not so much control with a hybrid but versatility. I like hitting low punchy ones with a low iron, fades and draws. I struggle doing the same with a hybrid.

• Like 1

I carry 3 wedges 46, 50, 54 degree, however as I am an old bugger when I first started to play we generally only had 2 wedges, a PW and SW. I therefore learnt to use my PW differently and still do today. It is a 46 degree Cleveland RTX3. A Full Swing can go 120m, 90M or  even 50M, all depends how far I open the face. When it comes to wedges, you will never have enough so you need to be able to alter them to suit the shot. 

BY carry 1 less wedge allows me to carry one more iron/hydrid, in my case a 3 - 21 degree. However I do also change what I carry in my bag depending on the course I am playing.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Wedge set up is a constant conversation among golfers.  As of today, my setup is 43-48-52-56.  The 43 & 48 are part of my iron set and I use that more like full irons rather than wedges.  At one time I also had a 60 but took it out for longer clubs at the other end of the bag.  There are several manufactures websites with fitting tools that suggest I go with a 54 & 58 deg setup. I do miss the 60 so the 54-58 may be my new setup.  Once I figure out the gaps, then I will spend time looking at grinds.  Still thinking about it.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM6 52 F & 56M wedges | Rife Mid Mallet 400 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Srixon Q Star Tour yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 14

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

9 hours ago, crazygolfnut said:

Wedge set up is a constant conversation among golfers.  As of today, my setup is 43-48-52-56.  The 43 & 48 are part of my iron set and I use that more like full irons rather than wedges.  At one time I also had a 60 but took it out for longer clubs at the other end of the bag.  There are several manufactures websites with fitting tools that suggest I go with a 54 & 58 deg setup. I do miss the 60 so the 54-58 may be my new setup.  Once I figure out the gaps, then I will spend time looking at grinds.  Still thinking about it.

That's always that fear, reaching for a club when you really need it, and it's no longer in the bag. Arguably, the gapping problem that needs addressing most is wedges. I will not be hitting that high a percentage of greens with a 3hybrid, 4hybrid or 3iron. And where I miss, the next club I reach for will be a wedge. And, even if it was a consistent miss, it would leave me short-sided on some holes and not on others. So I'm reaching for 52, 56 or 60, depending on lie and pin position. It's nice to have those options.

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/10/2020 at 1:32 PM, jaybeemaestro said:

That's always that fear, reaching for a club when you really need it, and it's no longer in the bag. Arguably, the gapping problem that needs addressing most is wedges. I will not be hitting that high a percentage of greens with a 3hybrid, 4hybrid or 3iron. And where I miss, the next club I reach for will be a wedge. And, even if it was a consistent miss, it would leave me short-sided on some holes and not on others. So I'm reaching for 52, 56 or 60, depending on lie and pin position. It's nice to have those options.

If pitching wedge goes 125

Driver 250

Then that leaves 7 or 8 or 9 clubs to fill out the 125 yards.

Say 25 yards is your first gap to a wood then that's 100 yds for 7 or 8 clubs = 12.5 or 14.3 gaps. Below shows my gaps at 12.5. 

D 250

5 Wood 225

Hybrid/Long irons: 4h-212.5, 4i-200,

5i-187.5, 6i-175, 7i-162.5,

8i-150, 9i-137.5, PW-125

50* Gap 112.5, 54* Sand 100, 60* Lob 87.5

Putter

I like having these gaps rather than 2 woods and either one less long iron or one less wedge. Gaps any bigger than 12.5 yards makes it harder to hit the small greens.

I agree with you about having the right club. That's why I don't carry my 72* wedge, chipper, or 3w most of the time.