TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bushnell Phantom GPS - yes or no? If not that - what?

DGA3

For many years I have used a Bushnell Neo GPS, and it's been great. However, recently it has been cutting out on me, even though it is fully charged. Before purchasing the replacement model, which is now called the Phantom, I read a lot of reviews, and it appears that the Phantom also suffers from random shutdowns, even when fairly new. Now I'm not sure if I should take a chance on it or not!

I realize that most people only write reviews when they are upset, so - even though I read quite a few that said the Phantom shuts down - I'm sure there are thousands of Phantoms out there that are performing perfectly. Consequently, I'm leaning toward buying it.

I have also looked at the Garmin G10 and the Golf Buddy Aim V10, which are both similar in price and function.

What do you guys think? Do you have any experience with any of the three previously mentioned, handheld GPS units? Any information you could pass my way would be greatly appreciated.

I have used the phantom all last year never had a problem with the unit. however since there is no cell overage on my course except club house I could not use all features of the unit.

I have the Neo version.  My first one the GPS went out and couldn't get a distance.  I purchased as second and have been using it for a few years with no issues.   I think it is great and would buy the Phantom if this one went out on me. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ve had my phantom for a year. I’ve never had it cut out, turn off, or anything of the sort. I’m recharging it right now, after three rounds of golf in two weeks (yes we can play here, if we follow the rules). I can log on to any course in our area from the course, no need to use the phone also. When I compare distances to my laser it’s always close. 

ksted

• driver: Ping G410 plus
  • 3 wood: Ping G400
  • 5 wood: Ping G400
  • hybrid: Cobra F8
  • irons: Ping G400 4-gw
  • wedges: Ping G400 U 50, Cleveland RTX4 56, Zipcore 60
  • putter: Evnroll ER2
  • balls:  Srixon Q Star Tour/Titleist Tour Soft

Agreed, but they're no dummies. If we could just replace a battery, they wouldn't sell nearly as many devices!  

They would if they could innovate and give people a reason too. Plenty of mobile phones were sold when they used to allow battery removal (before they became full time human tracking devices) as Market was flooding with innovations. This kind of lock down and no innovation is Commie level stuff and stifles progress in the long run. Look at lack of mobile phone innovation these days as example. The more locked down the less options and progress. But I digress... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an addendum to my earlier response. This is because it has disappeared. I love the design and I think its plenty accurate. However, every time I use it I worry that it will fall off the post its mounted to or that i will forget to remove it when my round is done.

Well guess what???

Its gone. I remember taking it off the post when I got to the last green, but it is nowhere to be found. Not in my bag or my wife's bag. I called the course and reported the loss, but they didn't sound to concerned. I had hoped it would be turned in if found, but no luck so far. 

So it is a great product, but it is easily lost/forgotten. Think I'll replace with a watch version, or one that is smaller and lighter that can ride in my pocket. 

Lesson learned. 

ksted

Back in the day, it used to be noted that Bushnell GPS measurements were to fixed points at the front middle and back of the green whereas the Garmin's were variable.  This meant that if you were on the side of the green, the Bushnell's front measurement was still to that fixed point which is now on your right or left while the Garmin's adjusted.  Is this still the case?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 8:05 AM, jbsdaddy said:

I have an addendum to my earlier response. This is because it has disappeared. I love the design and I think its plenty accurate. However, every time I use it I worry that it will fall off the post its mounted to or that i will forget to remove it when my round is done.

Well guess what???

Its gone. I remember taking it off the post when I got to the last green, but it is nowhere to be found. Not in my bag or my wife's bag. I called the course and reported the loss, but they didn't sound to concerned. I had hoped it would be turned in if found, but no luck so far. 

So it is a great product, but it is easily lost/forgotten. Think I'll replace with a watch version, or one that is smaller and lighter that can ride in my pocket. 

Lesson learned. 

another addendum....

It is found!

the people at the course called and said they found it in the cart corral. Still had the exact charge it had when lost, so it wasn't used. Used it sat and sun and its great having it back. 

Maybe I'll do a better job of keeping up with it now.

ksted