TESTERS WANTED! ×

Finally upgraded irons after many years. Got me some Callaway Apex 19 irons with KBS stiff shafts. Love them. Paired them up with Cleveland RTX wedges, 54 and 58 degrees, and a Cleaveland Huntington Beach putter. My next purchase, when my wife gets over the sticker shock of the irons, will be woods. Stilling rocking the Ping G20 driver and 3 wood. Hit them well so not super urgent. Haven't tested my swing speed in a while but I think it's around 95 mph. I'm 52 with a 8.5 handicap, and would welcome any driver upgrade advice.

Callaway Mavrik driver, Apex 19 irons and Cleveland RTX-4 wedges.

Nice purchases. Would be interested to hear how you get on with the putter.

Anywho, the best advice is get fitted. Most places will knock the price of the fitting off the driver you buy. And don't buy distance, buy accuracy. I generally buy 2nd hand due to cost so this is more "do as I say than, do as I do" advice. 

One further piece of advice is check the gapping between the 3 wood and your longest iron when purchasing. 3 wood to 4 iron for me would be at least a 40yard gap. I have a 3 hybrid in between but toying with slotting a 3 iron in there too and forsaking a wedge. 

Try as much as you want and leave happy and confident you made the right decision. Confidence is a precious commodity on a golf course.

10 minutes ago, jaybeemaestro said:

Nice purchases. Would be interested to hear how you get on with the putter.

Anywho, the best advice is get fitted. Most places will knock the price of the fitting off the driver you buy. And don't buy distance, buy accuracy. I generally buy 2nd hand due to cost so this is more "do as I say than, do as I do" advice. 

One further piece of advice is check the gapping between the 3 wood and your longest iron when purchasing. 3 wood to 4 iron for me would be at least a 40yard gap. I have a 3 hybrid in between but toying with slotting a 3 iron in there too and forsaking a wedge. 

Try as much as you want and leave happy and confident you made the right decision. Confidence is a precious commodity on a golf course.

I used a HB putter for about a month, for me it was inconsistent with distance control no matter how clean of a stroke I put on it.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

I agree with the fitting suggestion. When dropping $450 plus you don’t want to guess it is the best fit. I tried 5 different drivers with different shaft to find what works best for me and what felt best.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ken "Cruise" Mancini

There are a several good drivers out there that don't get the love they deserve due to marketing constraints. Srixon and even Mizuno started to provide drivers that can compete with the top OEMs. Cobra has made quality drivers for a few years now. Point is that getting fitted with shaft options is a must nowadays.  

Driver :taylormade-small: Superfast Burner

3-wood :mizuno-small: ST180

5-wood :titelist-small: 910F

Hybrid :1332069271_TommyArmour: TA1 

Irons Maltby TE Forged 4 - GW

Wedge :titelist-small: SM6 58/06

Putter :taylormade-small: Monte Carlo Rossa AGSI

4 hours ago, beelzeberto said:

I used a HB putter for about a month, for me it was inconsistent with distance control no matter how clean of a stroke I put on it.

Interesting. I couldn't get along with the Cleveland Classic HB #3. The lack of feel led to an inconsistent stroke which, like you, led to distance control issues.

2 hours ago, shortgame said:

There are a several good drivers out there that don't get the love they deserve due to marketing constraints. Srixon and even Mizuno started to provide drivers that can compete with the top OEMs. Cobra has made quality drivers for a few years now. Point is that getting fitted with shaft options is a must nowadays.  

Agree with this. Go in with an open mind, don't get dazzled by the big names.Ping, Mizuno, Srixon make some great stuff but essentially try as much as you can. There will be 2 or 3 you can narrow it down to.

3 hours ago, jaybeemaestro said:

Interesting. I couldn't get along with the Cleveland Classic HB #3. The lack of feel led to an inconsistent stroke which, like you, led to distance control issues.

Yeah it's weird. I can putt fairly well with a lot of putters but that one just didn't work for me.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."