Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TaylorMade Penta Ball Review

TaylorMade Penta Ball Review

1E23433D-B757-4016-8229-7CD274B326A5.jpeg

Introduction

Five layers, zero compromises; that is what TaylorMade promises with their first-tier tour ball, the Penta. But does anyone really need five layers? Genius marketing or a legitimate threat to the ProV1's dominance? That is the question before us today. Read on, spies, for my very first in-depth ball review.

Feel

Testing procedure: Feel was tested off a variety of clubs, starting with putters. I hit around a dozen putts with each ball using five different putters, ranging from solid copper to stainless steel. Testing then moved on to wedges, irons, and the driver.

The Penta is, hands down, the softest feeling ball that I've ever used. Off of a putter, there's a soft “tock,” no click at all. Depending on the type of putter that you use, particularly if you have a soft insert, I could see some people feeling that the Penta is almost too soft. As someone who does not like inserts, and prefers a soft feel, I thought the Penta was perfect for putting.

Feel off of the wedges and irons was similar to the putter – very soft and solid. One thing that has held true throughout the testing (I have put three balls through testing already) is that the feel off of the putter is consistent throughout the bag; there have yet to be any balls that feel good off the putter but bad off the longer clubs or vice versa.

Durability

Testing procedure: Take a brand new ball, hit it repeatedly with full 60* wedge swings, and record how many swings it takes to scuff the ball. The high water mark for tour ball durability currently stands a seven swings, the worst is one swing, with many falling into the two to four range.

The Penta performed in the above average range for a tour level ball when it comes to durability. I was able to hit five full wedge shots without putting a scuff on the Penta. I think this is an important consideration when judging a ball that costs nearly $4.

Data

Testing procedure: This is the meat of the review. I have established some baseline readings for tour-caliber balls and also for mid-level balls with the driver, 6 iron, pitching wedge, and 60* wedge with a half swing. Each ball is compared against those baselines for ball speed, launch angle, spin rates, and distance. My goal was to get five good, “equal” swings with each ball. All testing was done on a Vector launch monitor.

Driver Performance

The Penta demonstrated above average ball speed when compared (+2 MPH) to the baseline, higher launch (+3*) and lower backspin (-500 RPMs).

Personally, this translated into less distance because my testing set up is actually too low spin for my new swing, but I think most people will see distance gains from the decreased backspin.

6I Performance

The Penta produced average ball speed off of the 6 iron, slightly lower launch (-.3*) and negligibly higher spin (+180 RPMs). Total distances were right on the average for tour-caliber balls.

PW Performance

The pitching wedge testing was similar to the 6 iron, but with more dramatic differences. The Penta launched a full 1.7* lower than the average and had 600 RPMs more backspin. Where the average tour ball stopped where it landed, the Penta backed up one yard.

60* Performance – Half Swing

The half swing showed very little difference between the Penta and the test group. The Penta launched slightly higher (+.6*) and spun almost identically (-80 RPMs), and ended up doing the same thing on landing, which was to back up three yards.

On the Course

My on-course testing has been limited, but what I have seen on the course has matched up well with what I saw on the monitor. The Penta produces a boring flight with the driver, good control on iron shots, and lots of spin around the greens.

Value

Like most tour-caliber balls, the Penta sells for around $40/dozen. It performed as well as or better than the test group of tour balls, so there's no denying that it belongs at that price point. Whether or not a given player thinks that $3.50/ball makes sense for their game is up to them.

Player Profile

The Penta is targeted at players who demand performance from the tee box through the green. It delivers low spin off the driver, so it will be best in the hands of higher swing speed players who will benefit from this. It performs very well around the green in terms of spin, so players who like to be creative with their wedges will enjoy it. The feel, as I've mentioned, is very soft, in fact, the softest I've tested. Some players might find it too soft, but that's all a matter of preference.

Final Thoughts

All in all, I was very impressed with the Penta. The data shows that it performs well off the driver, and offers a slightly lower, higher spinning ball flight off the 6 iron and pitching wedge. All of this is packaged in a ball that offers softer feel than any other that I've used.

If you have any thoughts on ways in which the ball reviews can be improved, please let me know.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review. I've got a 6 pack coming from the Penta giveaway and I'm excited to try them out.

Callaway FT-5 Tour Draw 10.5*

Powerbilt AirForceOne N7 3w

PING I15 2H

TE Trilogy 4H

Acer XF 5-PW

VR Forged Black 52*

CG12 Black Pearl 56*

CG14 Black Pearl 60*

Flavor of the Week Putter

After playing a few rounds with my free pentas I'd say your review is spot on... I won't comment on driver distance since my drives are typically inconsistent, but they seem pretty average off the long irons and hybrids. Where I noticed a difference was wedge shots and putting. I typically play the Top Flight Gamer V2, and while it's the best ball in it's class, the Penta blows it away around the green. I also don't use a putter with an insert and love the sound and feel. I have NEVER had a ball spin back or stop for me, but I've had 2 shots with my 60* stop dead using the Pentas. It's a great feeling seeing the ball stop like that.

As far as durability, the Gamer V2 are more durable, but that's because of the outer layer being thinner on the Pentas.

Also, has anyone noticed the seam along the "PENTA TP"? Is that for alignment or does that help with straighter ball flight

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

This is my second season gaming the Penta, I switched from the Cally (is) mainly because I couldn't tell much difference in greenside feel and the Penta was MUCH more durable. If I manage to avoid the cartpath I can play a Penta for several rounds, with the Callaways you pretty much have to accept that you're either gonna play scuffy balls or go through at least a couple a round to keep them shiney!

Good review, pretty much spot on with my experience using the Penta as well.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 6 months later...

A few weeks ago, I came across a brand new Penta that had apparently escaped from the original purchaser on the first hit. It looked brand new. So I decided to test it against my beloved Pro V1. This review is spot on except for one little item. After I finished my test I continued to play it occassionally. On days when I am just practicing I often hit two balls after the drive. I thought I would hit the Penta until I lost it or it became unservicable. I hit this Penta probably more than 200 times. To the point that it no longer said Penta or Taylormade or had the number 3 on it anymore. It was not chewed up, the ink had just been rubbed off. It did have some battle damage, but nothing serious. The interesting thing is it still performed as good as a new ball until the very end. It is now "swimming with the fishes". But it certainly out lasted the Callaways, and even the Titleists.

While I hit down on the ball with my irons and wedges, I tend not to hit more than a 3/4 wedge shot. I much prefer the "land on the green like a hackey sack" to the back it up several feet. I like to watch it back up but I prefer distance control of a 3/4 wedge. I often play a complete round and sometimes two with the same ball. But I have never had one last as long as the Penta. And except for the last shot the darned thing avoided the water like it knew it could not swim. I could not loose it. It thought I would have it forever. Had I not put it in the lake I think it was destine to be the oldest thing in my bag. But I am not drinking the TM Koolaid yet. :D

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived