TESTERS WANTED! ×

Building a murdered out set of Ft Worth 15s

The Sandman

Hello all

I recently came across a brand new set of FT Worth 15 heads and have been searching for a good shaft to complete the aesthetic. Opted to get Iomic white grips. I am more concerned with a perfect aesthetic...have played off the rack and second hand my whole life. This is the first set that I will put more than a few hundred into. I am currently gaming a set of Cleveland 588s with stock DG shaft. Never been fitted but with my 588s I can fly a 6 iron 180-185 with normal swing if that helps. 

Main questions...compared to DG, do Nippon, KBS and Project x play similar in terms of flight and distance at same flex? I usually moon ball everything and would love to find something that could bring flight down a little.

Has anyone who games the Ft Worth 15s found a murdered out shaft set up they would like to post a picture of, looking for ideas.

Thanks for reading, this is my first real post on any golf forum...been playing for 25 years, but never had a budget to be fancy with equipment so want to do it up right.

Hogan GS Driver/3 wood

Hogan FT Worth 15 Irons

Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Odyssey Milled Putter

OnCore Elixir and Avant Balls

Hey Sandman, welcome to the boards! Common theme is going to be that you need to get fitted if you're trying to find the shaft that will best fit your game and your style preference. Probably a tough call right now with most shops shut down for fittings. If you know what you like for weights you can at least narrow down your fitting choices to those that fit the weight  you like and style then do some research to see information like kick point to find which may help you with lower flight. Ultimately, in my completely unprofessional opinion, you may be able to get something that will work out just fine for you this way. But best bet will be to get fitted.

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

First off, how did you get your hands on a set of FW-15 heads? I asked Ben Hogan if they'd be willing to sell me heads only - no luck. Their shaft options are somewhat limited, but they claim BH options "fit 90% of golfers".

Go to your local PGA Superstore and get fitted for a good shaft. It should only cost you $40, if that much. Sometimes they'll work with you for free when they're slow. 

In your case, I'd assume a heavier shaft with higher kick-point will be better for your swing if you're hitting moon balls. A lighter shaft is usually designed to aid lift.

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

On 4/18/2020 at 6:21 PM, The Sandman said:

I am more concerned with a perfect aesthetic

I've been around the forum (fittings rule the roost) for a while but I think this is the first time I've heard someone emphasising looks - aesthetics, over playability. But who says you can't have both? I like good looking equipment myself. But, I'd get those heads setup and professionally fit to you. After that you can jack around with paint fill, ferrules*, stampings, decals, etc. to jazz them up since that's your thing. Best wishes.

*pick these during the fitting

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

On 4/22/2020 at 11:29 AM, J.B. TexasEx said:

First off, how did you get your hands on a set of FW-15 heads? I asked Ben Hogan if they'd be willing to sell me heads only - no luck. Their shaft options are somewhat limited, but they claim BH options "fit 90% of golfers".

Go to your local PGA Superstore and get fitted for a good shaft. It should only cost you $40, if that much. Sometimes they'll work with you for free when they're slow. 

In your case, I'd assume a heavier shaft with higher kick-point will be better for your swing if you're hitting moon balls. A lighter shaft is usually designed to aid lift.

EBay, my guess is someone bought them, tried them once and couldn’t hit them at all. There was a slight imperfection on the sole in two heads but almost looks like a factory defect, they don’t look they have been hit at all. They don’t offer black steel shafts, I asked multiple times if it was coming and was all radio silence.

I have a local store here I’ll probably try out for a fitting, in Michigan that may not be until August at our current state of shutdown. Appreciate the feedback.

Hogan GS Driver/3 wood

Hogan FT Worth 15 Irons

Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Odyssey Milled Putter

On 4/22/2020 at 1:10 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I've been around the forum (fittings rule the roost) for a while but I think this is the first time I've heard someone emphasising looks - aesthetics, over playability. But who says you can't have both? I like good looking equipment myself. But, I'd get those heads setup and professionally fit to you. After that you can jack around with paint fill, ferrules*, stampings, decals, etc. to jazz them up since that's your thing. Best wishes.

*pick these during the fitting

I can shoot my usual 42 for 9 with a set from a yardsale, I just really want a badass looking set. The guys on here are all equipment geniuses so just picking brains in case I have to wait months to get in for a fitting. Appreciate the response, I know it’s weird to be obsessed with aesthetics, just my type a personality...cheers 🥃

Hogan GS Driver/3 wood

Hogan FT Worth 15 Irons

Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Odyssey Milled Putter

On 4/20/2020 at 10:51 AM, gchester33 said:

Hey Sandman, welcome to the boards! Common theme is going to be that you need to get fitted if you're trying to find the shaft that will best fit your game and your style preference. Probably a tough call right now with most shops shut down for fittings. If you know what you like for weights you can at least narrow down your fitting choices to those that fit the weight  you like and style then do some research to see information like kick point to find which may help you with lower flight. Ultimately, in my completely unprofessional opinion, you may be able to get something that will work out just fine for you this way. But best bet will be to get fitted.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I will have to bite the bullet on a fitting. I have been researching shafts and there are not as many black steel options as I thought there would be. My luck the best performance shaft won’t be black and then I’ll have to decide what to do. Thanks again!

Hogan GS Driver/3 wood

Hogan FT Worth 15 Irons

Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Odyssey Milled Putter