TESTERS WANTED! ×

OPERATION CALLAWAY: The Pebble Project

• SPY VIP

OPERATION CALLAWAY: The Pebble Project

Building a Quality Swing to Match the Quality Gear

There is no greater pressure than having new clubs…

I think that it is safe to say that my first round with my new custom fitted Callaway clubs was one of the worst I have ever played. I went out on a Friday afternoon with my brother and a few friends to play a short executive course near my house (Campus Commons GC). Before I get too far into this story, I want to be very clear in saying that the clubs are not the issue. On that day, I caved in to the pressure of having new clubs and feeling obligated to play well. My bag of clubs was worth as much as the clubs of the other three players combined. Regrettably, my thin, fat, right, and left shots amassed a score that was about the same as the other three combined too. Only a finishing par on the par-3 ninth kept me from launching the new bag of gear into the adjacent river.

Since that round, play has improved. I am sure it is because I have gotten more comfortable with the new clubs, both physically and mentally. I was skeptical about the RAZR X SW at first, but it has been clutch. I even had a sandy par last Wednesday. The RAZR X hybrids have been awesome, by far the most consistent hybrids I have ever played. It is nice to have a reliable 200-yard club. The driver is long, very long. Where I was once maxing at about 250, the RAZR Hawk has delivered multiple 280+ yard bombs. If I miss it a bit it still goes 270. However, I have not been anywhere as consistent with it as I had hoped. Missing the fairway adds a huge number of shots per round for me.

A strange thing has happened with my iron play since the Carlsbad fitting. As you can tell from the data in the fitting article, my normal iron shot is a fade with the miss being a slice. These days, I am missing left, sort of a pull draw. Not a huge hook. It starts a bit left and then draws left. I thought that it could be the clubs being bent 2° up that was causing the issue, but when I took my old G10 and a TM Rac OS2 6-iron to the driving range, both with standard lie, the ball flight was identical. Obviously it's operator error.

So What the Hell is Wrong With the Swing Now?

My first plan of action when the swing goes awry is to head to the range for self-medication. I will hit balls until my shoulder separates and my lower back has more trauma than Saturday night in an emergency room. I have read enough golf instruction articles, watched enough “tips” videos, and had enough lessons to know that there are hundreds of things that I could be doing to keep myself from my authentic swing.

Most of the time, I can work through a range session to the point that I feel enough progress to go out and play again. Sometimes the fix helps on the course, other times it doesn't. Other times, fixing one aspect of the game seems to screw up another one. Not once has it all synced together.

What did you shoot after playing for two years?

Somewhere during my Internet golfing (i.e. surfing), I ran across a thread about a players' progress after two years. Lots of postings from players who were shooting low eighties or high seventies after two years. That is what I am shooting, but typically when I shoot 80, I still have three holes left to play. Maybe my playing background is different, taking playing the game seriously at 38 after playing just enough prior to that to get bad habits firmly entrenched in my swing. As I look back at how my game has changed over the past three years, I do see progress, but not as much as I had hoped. I play much better than the casual weekend golfer, but when you compare my game to players who love and obsess about the game of golf as much as I do, my play is sorely lacking. Improving on the course is now paramount in my golf world.

What is holding back my game?

I am, by nature, a very goal oriented person. In all facets of my life, I see what I want to achieve and then formulate detailed plans to achieve those goals. My brain grabs hold of a challenge and thinks it into submission. Rarely is failure an option and should it occur, it typically represents a detour rather than derailment.

Perhaps this is the ultimate attraction that golf holds for me, the problem that can never be solved. The game that can never be mastered. I am drawn to its complexity and subtle nuisances. I eagerly devour the new technology both mechanical and biomechanical. Golf is a never-ending buffet for my brain. The problem is that while the brain is overflowing with all things golf, the body seemingly ignores the brain's best advice. My body just condescendingly nods as my brain tells it what to do, and then decides to come over the top, face wide open, and pivoting off the right foot, again and again.

I am starting to think that my body is a lot like a new puppy. Effective puppy training only comes from frequent, consistent training. I am thinking that my golf swing may require similar training. I have had lessons in the past, but typically there are a few weeks to months span in between the lessons. My thought is that this is too long between lessons. Maybe it would be OK if I was maintaining a swing, but I think that I really need more regular help to re-build one.

What is my goal?

This is probably the most interesting part of the whole process for me. How will my analytical brain quantify “success” in the realm of playing golf? I could easily pick a handicap number and say that is my goal. Would I love to be a 10 HCP? You bet. I think that this represents an in-progress goal though. I talked with someone last week that is a frustrated 7 HCP. Lowering the index should be a byproduct of playing better, but not the goal.

So how will I know that I have improved if I don't use the quantifiable index as the benchmark? Success may be as malleable a concept as the game of golf itself. It may be that I measure success by the disappearance of bad rounds past. Last week, I topped the ball off the tee seven times with the driver. Seven times. The big number that I ended up carding that day was irrelevant in my mind compared to the number seven.

Perhaps success can be gauged in a combination of the physical and the mental. Walking off a course knowing that the score I carded was the best that I could have shot. With this rubric, one could argue that I am successful now. That my current, albeit inconsistent, skill set is producing scores that are the best that I could have shot. The sticking point is that I know I can hit a drive 280 in the middle of the fairway. With this in mind, there is no way that multiple topped drives represents the best I could have done.

So What Is The Plan To Get Better?

I think that the first step in this process is that I need to have a plan. A detailed plan that I will dedicate my efforts to follow until the time when I am successful. Notice there is no “or quit” clause in the last statement. I will get better. I don't care what it takes.

So here is my initial plan:

1. Find a golf pro

2. Ask the pro for recommendations

3. Follow those recommendations religiously

4. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

I currently have three half-hour private lessons left with my current pro. My hope is that I will be able to continue with him. He knows my swing issues, and I do believe that I am a better player because of his help. I think that more regular lessons will allow him to reinforce his teachings more frequently and perhaps make them stick more.

Here are some other ideas that I am kicking around.

• Post scorecards in this thread (via Golfshot) EVERY ROUND with analysis. Hopefully these will get less painful to read as I progress.

• Post swing videos

• Build backyard putting green and/or hitting area (mat and net)

• Bring shag bag and wedge to work to chip on breaks

• Stretching/daily exercise to increase flexibility

• Use training tools only if approved by my instructor

• Develop focus and mental toughness when playing and practicing

• Contact possible sponsors to cover the cost of lessons. I'll wear that MasterCard logo on my collar. Chico's Bail Bonds? You bet…

So Why Is It “The Pebble Project”?

Living in northern California, I have am near many amazing courses. The crowning jewel, in my opinion, is Pebble Beach. I spent three days at Pebble last summer watching the US Open. The course is amazing, but also $500 a round. Based upon my current game, playing Pebble would be a nightmare. Take Dustin Johnson's Sunday round and multiply it by a bunch.

This is truly how I will measure success. I want to play Pebble Beach and walk off the course knowing that I scored the best I could. It will be a big number round, I am sure. However, if that big number comes from the course being difficult as opposed to me being terrible, I will drive home satisfied. How soon that round at Pebble Beach will be played remains to be seen.

So stay tuned. My next lesson is tomorrow. My next round will be tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed your project Dave!

Find myself in a similar situation (except I don't have a brand new set of sticks :D)

The curious part is the "where should I be now after playing for 2 years?"

I believe it's hard to benchmark your HCP with how long you've played against other players. Why? I once read an article that stated golf is like being a pilot... you can only count the actual time spent on the course/plane.

You hear a lot of people saying "I've been playing golf for 20 years", are those 20 years really effective play time or just once every 6 months?

On the other hand, we got 14 year old kids in our home course who play under 10 and they have only been playing for 1 year. Is it because they are young and learn much faster? Is it because they spend 5 days a week training?

I'm 27 and I just picked up the game last year (I'm starting my 2nd year now). So when I compare myself to those kids I get frustrated as well. Then I see 40 year old guys who have been playing for years and they still shoot 120. It's hard to compare.

I do have a more a concrete goal: I want to be under 20 before winter arrives (I have a side bet with my wife). She also started last year with me and she already has a lower HCP than mine. Go figure...

I'm obviously no pro and can't give you any help on your swing or 7 topped shots off the tee. I'm glad to hear your pro has contributed to your game, but for me... taking lessons actually made it worse. Maybe it's just me, but after a lesson I can barely hit the ball :D so just like you, I will go to the range and auto-medicate myself.

Good luck! We'll need it :)

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I really look forward to reading this. I'm in the exact same boat as you. I've just gotten a custom set of clubs, which I played horribly at first but they have really grown on me and I now hit them far better than my old clubs.

If you want a goal, my golf instructor always told me my goal should be to shrink my spray area and lower my backspin. As you said, lowering my handicap will be a by-product of fixing these two issues. Golfshot/GolfLogix are great ways to keep track of your stats. Also, if you don't have one, get a range finder to help you get a better sense of how far you hit on a particular course.

I started about a year and a half ago, but really only played about 5 rounds last year. This year I am starting to take it more seriously. I try to play at least once a week on a full size course as well as alternating between a pitch-n-putt and executive par 3 on weekends which I go with my 7 year old son. Add into that at least one round at the driving range each week. I've definitely seen improvements by getting out more often along with taking lessons.

As I said, I'm looking forward to this. I'll even start tracking my own scores more honestly and would be interested to see how we compare.

Good luck!

Is there a way to create a MGS group or something on Golfshot? I think you can upload results and we can all share some feedback/advice.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

MAAAAAN! before I read any further I loved Campus Commons. I miss swimming in that river with a pair of goggles and finding balls by the bag full.

Golf Pro recommendation: Kevin Estrella at iFitGolf in Folsom. He's TGM and TPI certified and his studio is a certified Callaway center. I've had many lessons over the years from many different pros in our area. HE BLOWS THEM AWAY. He will get to the root problem without using the latest fashionable golf digest tips. Too many pros seem to use golf digest as their instruction book, or they just scratch the surface without getting very deep and to the core -- lessons become bandaids. Kevin will satisfy your analytical mind. I read and watch everything too. I thought I knew all the fixes and basic theories. He really opened my eyes to chain reactions and how to fix things at the root.

I spy with my little eye something...

• SPY VIP

Lesson 1 and Round 1

Lesson 1 – May 27, 2011

OK so today was the first lesson after beginning the Pebble Project. I met with my instructor Greg Ciavarelli at the Haggin Oaks driving range at 8:30am. After warming up with some wedge shots, Greg had me hit some balls with the wicked mistress that is my driver. Historically, by driver swing represents all that is bad in a golf swing, with swinging over the top and lack of proper weight transfer being some of the usual suspects. So after a beautiful demonstration of some high slices and low hooks, Greg asked me what I was aiming at on the range. I told him that I was aiming between the blue and white flags at the middle of the range. Greg then let me know that I was actually aimed at the red flag that was further to the right.

Issue 1: Where I think I am aimed is different from where I am actually aimed.

In addition to this, my shoulders and my feet were not on the same line. My feet were aimed right of target and my shoulders were open and aimed left. Greg explained that with this alignment of my body, I was almost guaranteeing a poor swing before I even swung the club.

Issue 2: Different parts of my body are aimed in different directions.

Greg had me turn my shoulders to the right until I was in line with my feet. To me, I felt very closed to the target line. This makes sense though if my natural tendency is to open up my shoulders. The big deal about the shoulder alignment is that now I actually have a chance to take an inside to out swing. Open shoulders left me with no choice but coming over the top.

To address my aiming issue, Greg had me stand behind the ball and pick a target on the range. Once I lined up the ball with the target, I took a step to the left and walked forward to the ball. This way when I addressed the ball, my target line and my feet line were parallel. I have seen the “railroad track” tip in golf magazines before, but this seemed an easily repeatable way to find those lines and aim correctly.

Next I turned my shoulders in and started hitting balls. Before hitting each ball, I took a moment to re-aim from behind the ball and then walk up to it. Even when I switched to gap wedge for a few balls to break the rhythm of driver, I followed this pre-shot routine and I could tell that my aim was better.

So how did I hit the driver? It ranged between lame and amazing. If I slowed down and controlled my tempo, I hit huge bombs. If I got too fast, or didn't swing the club at the target, I would be back to hooking and slicing, basically coming over the top again. However, after getting set up correctly to the ball, the misses were less severe. There was a few times where I really felt the “perfect” swing. My body synced up and the resulting drive was exactly what I would love to see on the course with the ball hitting my pre-shot target. Finding that swing still feels like catching a soap bubble on a needle, but I know that I can do it with some more practice.

Until-Next-Time Instructions from Greg

1. Take the time to set up correctly before each shot, on the range or on the course.

2. Think about taking an easy, controlled swing (75%).

3. Don't focus on how far it is going, instead focus on keeping the ball on target.

Later that afternoon I went back to Haggin Oaks to play a quick nine after he got off work. It was a bit windy, but all in all a nice afternoon for some golf. Here is the scorecard:

HO_05_27.jpg

Historically I have at considered bogey golf as my personal par. I am really no longer satisfied with that goal. Bogies should only happen when I miss par. Because I have played this course so often, I expect that I can par every hole because at one time or another I have shot par on every hole, just not in the same round. Without boring you with too much detail, here is how the holes played out:

• 10 (380Y Par4): Drive a bit short and left. 150 into the green, hit 8i through. Pitch with SW to 15'. Miss putt, tap in 8” second for bogey.
  • 11 (210Y Par 3): Top 5W to 75, hit SW to 6', make putt, par
  • 12 (388Y Par 4): Drive just off right edge to 145, 9i to middle of green, two putt par
  • 13 (554Y Par 5): Hit about 210 off the tee, but in the fairway, high ball flight. Hit 3H to 145, 9i to middle of green, leave first put that was on a perfect line 5' short then lip out the second putt, bogey
  • 14 (169Y Par 3): Hit 5i fat and leave ball short with trap between ball and hole, hit SW a bit thin with ball rolling through the green into second cut, chip to 8”, putt for bogey
  • 15 (349Y Par 3): High slice off the tee to 155, hit 8i 10 yards through the green, flub chip, chip close, make putt, bogey
  • 16 (394Y Par 4): Good “fade” drive just into the right rough at the 150 marker, 8i through green right at collar, no idea how to hit this shot, tried 7i chip, but too firm, missed long putt, made 4' for bogey
  • 17 (378Y Par 4): Ugly drive into trees, great low 5i punch to middle of fairway 90 yards out, fat SW to 50 yards, SW on, 2 putt, double bogey
  • 18 (514Y Par 5): High slice to unplayable under a bush, 1 penalty for drop, hit 3h to 140, 9i pulled a bit into left greenside bunker, SW out, 2 putt, double bogey.

Overall I am a bit neutral on the round. Some good mixed with some bad. Here is what I take from the round:

• The driver lessons from the morning didn't stick all that well on the course. I know that I will have to work more to make the correct swing be my natural swing.
  • I see that there are three, maybe four, short game strokes that I could have made up with better chipping and pitching. The 20-yard pitch over the bunker and the 7i from the collar were “I'll give this a try” shots.
  • I love my Razr X hybrids. They are long and strong and down to get the friction on.
  • Taking the time to aim each shot really made a difference. I was on target with everything but driver all round.
  • I am definitely longer than expected with the new Razr X irons. Being long with an 8i at 154 is not something I really relate to. Other sets would have me hitting 7i or even 6i from 155. I lost a few shots because I was long on the approach.
  • Who really enjoys a 210-yard par 3?

So one lesson didn't fix my driver, but I really didn't expect it too. More deliberate practice is necessary. I'll keep you posted...

Volvo Intorqueo

dude, you're consistently inspiring me. I'd like to do something similar... but I'm ashamed of my second round today (played two rounds of 9, first round was decent for me, second round was TERRIBLE)

gotta run, but gonna read more of your analysis of today later.

Inspired

Lesson 1 and Round 1

Who really enjoys a 210-yard par 3?

ME ME ME ME!!!!!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

ME ME ME ME!!!!!!

+1 for me as well. Perfect for a 3W shot off the tee!

I also like whatever has to go over water.

I have been thinking about this project... You should really reconsider the name...

I like "Operation Callaway, The Bandon Project" much better.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

I have been thinking about this project... You should really reconsider the name...

I like "Operation Callaway, The Bandon Project" much better.

That is an excellent idea for the sequel. Maybe get to Pebble in the Fall and then follow with Bandon in the Spring.

That would be some quality golfin'

Volvo Intorqueo

That is an excellent idea for the sequel. Maybe get to Pebble in the Fall and then follow with Bandon in the Spring.

That would be some quality golfin'

Bandon in the winter has a much better rate.... and some really REALLY decent weather.

• SPY VIP

Round 2: Ancil Hoffman Golf Course

2011-05-31.jpg

Today was a tale of two nines. On the front nine, all ability to hit a ball with the driver left my body. The five doubles on the front nine are results of not having a legit second shot on any of those holes. That, and topping a ball or two off the tee. I would like to say that the wind was a factor as well, but the winds really didn't pick up until the back nine. I mixed in my usual flubbed chip in here and there for flavor.

I think that it is safe to say that I was having mental issues on this nine. This course always gets in my head a bit to begin with. There are a lot of trees, a lot of trees. Rarely do you have any shot at the green if you end up in there off the tee. Quite a few of my second shots, especially on the double bogey holes, were little punch shots out of trouble. Par was not at all possible. I think I focused so much on where not to drive the ball that I forgot where to actually hit it. I did hit a PW about 160 on the seventh. Too bad I was only 115 from the flag. Thus the penalty.

One of the other pressures for me this round was that I played with two guys who I have not played with before. I know both of them, and feel comfortable with them in a non-golf setting, but as soon as I hit the course, I get nervous and tight. This makes my nightmare of playing poorly come true. As I kept missing drives, this mental tightness just kept building. Decent iron and hybrid play kept me from completely losing composure and interest in golf.

Thankfully, Greg Ciavarelli, my instructor from Haggin Oaks, was one of the people I was playing with today. Greg was kind enough to let me know that I was swinging the driver in a way that he had never seen me swing at the range during lessons. I was “dancing all over the place” and not releasing the club. While this was not supposed to be a playing lesson, I did appreciate Greg's swing tips. As we moved to the tenth hole, I could feel that I was more stable in my swing, but still leaving the face open and slicing. On the eleventh, I focused on turning over my hands at impact, while staying stable during the swing. Low and behold I hit a big drive up the middle. Hit a big ball again on twelve and a big ball with a draw on thirteen. The only missed fairway after that was a pulled 3H and a flubbed wedge into the trap that led to double. Had I had any putting skill today, there would have been more pars and even a birdie or two.

Hopefully I will be able to keep the confident feeling that I had on the tee as I move forward. I know that the ugly tee shot will rear its head again, but I know that I have it in me to hit a ball into play.

On a side note, this is actually the first time I have broke 100 at this course. With all of the shots I left on the course and the greens today, I think that I will be able to break 90 on this course before too long.

Volvo Intorqueo

Don't you just love making a double on a short par 4 after you choose to lay up off of the tee??? My favorite.

• SPY VIP

First...If somebody organizes a MyGolfSpy Bandon Project, I'm going to try like hell to be "in".

Also of note is how eerily similar your scorecard looks a hell of a lot like many of mine. There's some reasonably solid golf that gets lost among the debris left behind by a few explosions. As a personal example; I played Monday, mostly hit the ball well of the tee, but constantly hit my second shot anywhere but straight. Despite carding two birdies on the back 9, I shot one of my highest rounds of the season. At least I, like you, kept it in double digits.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Don't you just love making a double on a short par 4 after you choose to lay up off of the tee??? My favorite.

I can top that with what I did today. Went birdie on #13, #14 is a 205 yard par 3 pin is back right, I wanted to go center of the green with a 6 iron. I pull the club and proceed to chunk it and then make double after hitting the 2nd shot to 8 feet past the hole (downhill putt which I tried to jam in and blew it by). Followed the double up with a birdie on the next hole.

Birdie, double, birdie, way to be even par for 3 holes with 2 birdies right?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I can top that with what I did today. Went birdie on #13, #14 is a 205 yard par 3 pin is back right, I wanted to go center of the green with a 6 iron. I pull the club and proceed to chunk it and then make double after hitting the 2nd shot to 8 feet past the hole (downhill putt which I tried to jam in and blew it by). Followed the double up with a birdie on the next hole.

Birdie, double, birdie, way to be even par for 3 holes with 2 birdies right?

That is one way to do it...

Group Bandon gets my vote....

You paying? Cause supporting 4 on a single income kind of gets in the way of big golf vacations. I'd love to, but hey, I can't with the finances like they are.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Round 3: Cherry Island Golf Course

The Ugly, the Bad, and the Ugly...

2011-06-02.jpg

Today was a bit of a rough day. As you can tell from the mess above, the swing that I thought I found at the end of the round on Tuesday ran away a bit today. The course layout was actually a bit different than what it shows on the card. We started on 10, that is now a par five. That makes my 5 on 10 a par. Not a bad start. Hole 1 is actually now hole 10 and it has a temporary tee box at about 115 yards, par 3. So that birdie is actually a par. Would love to hit PW 295 like the scorecard says...

Without getting into too much detail, the tee shot was a struggle today again as you can see by the reemergence of the left, right, and down arrows. Something was just off today as my reliable hybrids dealt me lots of high, right mess today. More OB and sand today. The 16th was a great debacle today. Left cart and bag on fairway, walking to deep-set tee box. Noticed that the other three guys I am playing with all have hybrids as the hole takes a sharp turn right over water for the approach shot. Borrowed a hybrid to hit from my buddy, shanked it to the edge of the water. Not wet, but had to take an unplayable penalty and drop. Hit 6 iron into the trap, Didn't get out on the first swing. Miss the long putt, make the follow-up. Super! :blink:

So what went well today?

Irons: I had some solid iron shots today. Once I got to where I could hit at the greens, I did a fairly good job at hitting the shots. As I prepared to ram a tee into my brain on the 8th hole, I did hit a laser 5i into the green from about 185. This is a big deal for me as the 5i and I were not really speaking prior to that. Iron contact was good, even if tree contact followed (3x on the 8th).

Wedges: Good, except on 9 (18th now) where I celebrated hitting the drive to 115y in by hitting about six inches under the ball with the PW then hitting the SW follow-up dead right. Tired and a bit pissed off at that point anyway.

Putting: Putting was much improved today. I think that there was only one really bad putt where I read the green completely wrong. Distance control was better today, although I was usually a touch on the short side. All in all not bad as I was using a new putter today, Carnahan Golf's St. John. This is a really nice putter that you can buy for around $100 (online here). These putters are worth checking out. The St. Johns that I have is the longneck blade. I also really liked the flow neck Insignia a bunch when I demoed them.

carnahanputter.jpg

Along with that pretty putter, I'll leave you with a bit of wisdom from the wife today. When I got home, long faced about my round, my wife said "You got to play two rounds of eighteen this week. That sounds like a good vacation." Quite the sage is that wife of mine.

So with that positive thought :D I will head to the driving range tomorrow

Volvo Intorqueo

You paying? Cause supporting 4 on a single income kind of gets in the way of big golf vacations. I'd love to, but hey, I can't with the finances like they are.

I might know a guy who knows a guy....

Round 3: Cherry Island Golf Course

The Ugly, the Bad, and the Ugly...

2011-06-02.jpg

Today was a bit of a rough day. As you can tell from the mess above, the swing that I thought I found at the end of the round on Tuesday ran away a bit today. The course layout was actually a bit different than what it shows on the card. We started on 10, that is now a par five. That makes my 5 on 10 a par. Not a bad start. Hole 1 is actually now hole 10 and it has a temporary tee box at about 115 yards, par 3. So that birdie is actually a par. Would love to hit PW 295 like the scorecard says...

Without getting into too much detail, the tee shot was a struggle today again as you can see by the reemergence of the left, right, and down arrows. Something was just off today as my reliable hybrids dealt me lots of high, right mess today. More OB and sand today. The 16th was a great debacle today. Left cart and bag on fairway, walking to deep-set tee box. Noticed that the other three guys I am playing with all have hybrids as the hole takes a sharp turn right over water for the approach shot. Borrowed a hybrid to hit from my buddy, shanked it to the edge of the water. Not wet, but had to take an unplayable penalty and drop. Hit 6 iron into the trap, Didn't get out on the first swing. Miss the long putt, make the follow-up. Super! :blink:

So what went well today?

Irons: I had some solid iron shots today. Once I got to where I could hit at the greens, I did a fairly good job at hitting the shots. As I prepared to ram a tee into my brain on the 8th hole, I did hit a laser 5i into the green from about 185. This is a big deal for me as the 5i and I were not really speaking prior to that. Iron contact was good, even if tree contact followed (3x on the 8th).

Wedges: Good, except on 9 (18th now) where I celebrated hitting the drive to 115y in by hitting about six inches under the ball with the PW then hitting the SW follow-up dead right. Tired and a bit pissed off at that point anyway.

Putting: Putting was much improved today. I think that there was only one really bad putt where I read the green completely wrong. Distance control was better today, although I was usually a touch on the short side. All in all not bad as I was using a new putter today, Carnahan Golf's St. John. This is a really nice putter that you can buy for around $100 (online here). These putters are worth checking out. The St. Johns that I have is the longneck blade. I also really liked the flow neck Insignia a bunch when I demoed them.

carnahanputter.jpg

Along with that pretty putter, I'll leave you with a bit of wisdom from the wife today. When I got home, long faced about my round, my wife said "You got to play two rounds of eighteen this week. That sounds like a good vacation." Quite the sage is that wife of mine.

So with that positive thought :D I will head to the driving range tomorrow

Love that putter.. at least looking at it. Chris has been in the shop a few times in the last year, and is a really swell fella who makes nice putters. (I wish I could putt).

I was referring to Golfspy Tim... LOL... sorry, should've quoted him. Oregon is a long way, specially for a country boy that's never been on a plane before.

In The Bag

If you do, then we might need to start talking dates and looking at plane tickets. Bandon is high on my list, and if I go I'd want to play them all, but I can't do the $275 per round (I think that's right/close). Let me know the deal if this gets serious.

Dave: you're a stronger man than I, baring your scorecards to the world like this. I hope your game turns around soon. Your wife is right though, at least you're playing. I still haven't played golf in my home state this year, except for 9 holes of par 3 golf (9 more par 3 holes this weekend, woohoo!).

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Dave: you're a stronger man than I, baring your scorecards to the world like this. I hope your game turns around soon. Your wife is right though, at least you're playing. I still haven't played golf in my home state this year, except for 9 holes of par 3 golf (9 more par 3 holes this weekend, woohoo!).

Thanks Matt. As that round was rolling along I had the thought of "I'll just not post this one" but that defeats the purpose of the whole thing. I wish I had taken my time on the two three-putt bogies though. Looking back at the card, those happened because I just rushed the second putt to clear the green for the group waiting behind us.

As always, I need to slow down.

Volvo Intorqueo

If you do, then we might need to start talking dates and looking at plane tickets. Bandon is high on my list, and if I go I'd want to play them all, but I can't do the $275 per round (I think that's right/close). Let me know the deal if this gets serious.

With the right call to the right guy, I might be able to get industry rate... As I am in the Industry.

Great point on just slowing down.

I play my worst golf when there's a group behind me pushing me (and worst, when that's the case, there's usually groups in front of us, so we can't speed up and can't let them play through)

I'm still inspired by your sharing your score cards, I'm about to upgrade to the full version of golf shot so I can track as carefully and start sharing my rounds. I think it'd be good to be kept accountable for every round. (that actually makes it more fun for me)

• SPY VIP

Great point on just slowing down.

I play my worst golf when there's a group behind me pushing me (and worst, when that's the case, there's usually groups in front of us, so we can't speed up and can't let them play through)

I'm still inspired by your sharing your score cards, I'm about to upgrade to the full version of golf shot so I can track as carefully and start sharing my rounds. I think it'd be good to be kept accountable for every round. (that actually makes it more fun for me)

I was thinking about posting some of my own cards, but I'm afraid it might cost me my job at MGS.

As far as Project Bandon is concerned...found this great little quote in Golfweek's 2011 Course Guide about the courses at Bandon:

"What I didn't want was to have a best course and a worst course. That is the case at Pebble, Whistling Straits and Pinehurst. The courses are priced accordingly. I wanted them all to be different , and all appealing"

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived