Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

14 way, 4 way, 3 way bags Thoughts

tj2kgolfer

With divided bags being of countless variations, what do you all prefer? I have a mizuno Aerolite micro bag that i have been using for about 4 years. I would like to get a new 14 way bag because I am a meticulous person. But I figured I would ask since there is nothing else better to do with this quarantine.

In the last 4 years I've had the following bags:

• 5-way Hoofer
  • 14-way Hoofer
  • 4-way Sun Mountain 3.5LS
  • 14-way Vessel (Current bag)

I didn't like the 14-way Hoofer because it didn't have a putter well like the Vessel does. Not sure if the newer Hoofer 14's do, but I didn't enjoy putting in an oversized grip into it. I really liked the 4-way SM divider, but was disappointed after my bag broke after barely 2 years due to the stitching failing. This time around I went for the highest-quality bag I could, that was also all black. Ended up choosing the 14-way Player 2.0 over the 6 (which is like a 5+1 because I believe the top divider is meant for your putter) because I didn't think I would like the layout of my bag in a 5-way -- I'm weirdly particular like that. If it was a 4-way with a putter well I would've gone with that, I really like the way I can organize my bag with a 4-way top, and separating my putter would be even better.

Edited by yungkory

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I've had a 5 and 14 way bag and definitely prefer the 14 way because I'm a bit CDO about my clubs.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Guess I’m the opposite of these guys. Went from 14 to 4 and don’t see myself going back.

In my experience if it’s 14 way it better be full length individual dividers or the clubs tangle.

I currently have a 4 way which has 3 internal dividers. I prefer it because I have my driver, wood, hybrid, and putter up too. Then 5-PW in the middle, and My wedges in the bottom.

I have found less tangle and less club chatter with the 4 way top.

IMG_8832.jpg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Ahhhhh, the old Kabuki top. Where has it gone, and WHY?!

Is most like to have a 5-way, where the putter goes up top. My putters are 36.5”-37”, which are longer than a wedge, and with the head cover, they always block the wedges at the bottom. I wish a brand would go back to creativity and make a top that works with putters. I guess I’m a guy that would prefer a separate well for it, as was mentioned.

Here’s the old Mizuno Kabuki top.

IMG_1312.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Personally I prefer the 4 or 6 opening compared to the 14. I have owned one bag that had a 14 slot opening and I hated it. For me it is easier to find my clubs in the 4 slot versus the 14 and since I went to an 11” opening with the sun mountain 5.5 I don’t think I will get another bag for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Ahhhhh, the old Kabuki top. Where has it gone, and WHY?!
Is most like to have a 5-way, where the putter goes up top. My putters are 36.5”-37”, which are longer than a wedge, and with the head cover, they always block the wedges at the bottom. I wish a brand would go back to creativity and make a top that works with putters. I guess I’m a guy that would prefer a separate well for it, as was mentioned.
Here’s the old Mizuno Kabuki top.
IMG_1312.PNG.7a13f9cff29b85cdcc356bd958e0fd7d.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah. I was always a fan of OGIO Woode top, but that last one I had the dividers under the top were crappy. They were excellent when they were full dividers. I really hope they bring back that top with full length dividers. I’d buy one in a heartbeat. I think it’s a perfect blend for cart and carry. RenderedImage.jpgIMG_9313.jpg

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Yeah. I was always a fan of OGIO Woode top, but that last one I had the dividers under the top were crappy. They were excellent when they were full dividers. I really hope they bring back that top with full length dividers. I’d buy one in a heartbeat. I think it’s a perfect blend for cart and carry. RenderedImage.thumb.jpg.167eb3052bf7bf51c9705fd125ec3969.jpgIMG_9313.jpg.2e2fd038d238dddf598b1d7d9389eaa1.jpg

Oh, yeah! Another really good one

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

For the summer, on my push cart, I like a 14 way divider.

I’m a bit forgetful ( wedge left at the previous green type thing🤪) and like peace and quiet when I’m walking and to keep my clubs in good condition. I also I hate “club clatter” as I walk 🤨

So the best bag I ever had was a Bennington Quiet Organiser. It had 9 spaces for the irons, a putter well and divided space for the woods. It was easy to see all your clubs, you could soon see if an iron was missing.

I’ve not got one any more and this is making me nostalgic - maybe I’ll have to get one for my next bag IMG_3155.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB: Driver - Ping G400 Max 9 Degree, VA Slay X-Stiff Shaft   5 Wood - Ping 18 Degree, Ping Alta Stiff shaft   Irons - 4 & 5 Mizuno MP20 HMB, 5 to PW, Mizuno MP20 MMC, KBS C Taper Lite Stiff Shafts + 1 inch 1 degrees upright   Wedges - Ping Tour-W 54 & 58 Degree, AWT stiff steel shafts + 1/2 inch 3 degrees upright  Putter - Ping Sigma2 Tyne 35"

I have a sun mountain C130 14 way. Its great, highly recommended. For a long time I had a 14 way ping bag, but my grips would get bound and I would have trouble getting clubs in and out. Its first world problems, but especially when you hit a bad shot, the last thing you need is to be fighting with your bag when you are frustrated. I have a two compartment sunday bag that I use with a half set that I love too, its super light, but thats a whole different avenue to take. +1 for Sun Mountain C130

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a 4-way bag and a 14-way bag.  Definitely love the 14 way bag because I can get a little OCD with my clubs.  Like the fact that I can easily find my clubs, found that taking them in/out was easier for me.  I currently use the Nike ProCombo 14-way bag.  Had this bag for years!!!  Cant seem to let this one go!

My TaylorMade bag is 14 way. I have a love hate relationship with it. I liked the idea of every club has its place as it fits in with my OCD. But when I want to change clubs around to replace my hybrid with my driving iron or remove the lob wedge, my OCD comes back to haunt me as I need to move around almost every club. 🤪 I would also like a putter well.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

The two I use the most right now are 

Titleist Hybrid 5 and PING Hoofer 14

I  prefer the Hybrid 5 the most as the clubs just seem to fit better in the well.  I have midsize grips and they often get stuck in the small individual dividers.   But if I'm going on a weekend trip with lots of rounds in a cart, I may take the 14 way as it has a bit more storage and fits better on the cart.

I also have the Titleist 3 way lightweight bag, that I'll use if I'm going to a course that has caddies, as it's easier for them.   Also I use it for the few times I may go out for a walking 3 to 5 hole loop. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I just swapped back to a 5 way from a 14. Had a 14 way for several years like having individual spots but it just looked unorganized to me. Went back to 5 way and am happy with the purchase. A lot less clanking too

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

9 hours ago, MWGomez said:

My TaylorMade bag is 14 way. I have a love hate relationship with it. I liked the idea of every club has its place as it fits in with my OCD. But when I want to change clubs around to replace my hybrid with my driving iron or remove the lob wedge, my OCD comes back to haunt me as I need to move around almost every club. 🤪 I would also like a putter well.

This is what I struggled with as well!. Swapping back to a 5 way was a decision that was much harder than it should have been but am happy with it. I almost want to design a bag to have 6 way, 5 for clubs and a putter well but I am no designer!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

I've used Sun Mountain's 4-way, and now have a Ping Hoofer (2015) with 5-way dividers.  I've never been interested in 14-ways, primarily because of the added weight.  I'm not one who cares about a dedicated putter spot, in fact my putter lives in the same hole as my driver.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I replaced my Sun Mountain Sync 14-way cart bag 3 years ago with a Wilson Staff Nexus 5-way carry bag and love it.  Even though the SM Sync bag fit perfectly on my SM MicroCart, I had trouble pulling clubs without the grips getting stuck.  The Nexus bag fits pretty well on my cart and on riding carts.  I also like that it fits better in the trunk of my car, and it's easier to carry when I just want to go to the practice area.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I replaced my Sun Mountain Sync 14-way cart bag 3 years ago with a Wilson Staff Nexus 5-way carry bag and love it.  Even though the SM Sync bag fit perfectly on my SM MicroCart, I had trouble pulling clubs without the grips getting stuck.  The Nexus bag fits pretty well on my cart and on riding carts.  I also like that it fits better in the trunk of my car, and it's easier to carry when I just want to go to the practice area.

I struggled with bags in my old car. Mine fit with 2 others but really had to kiddy corner it which sucked. I am not ready for a cart bag yet 😂 still enjoy being able to walk the course and will for as long as I can....or until I go pro and have a caddy whatever happens first

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

13 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I struggled with bags in my old car. Mine fit with 2 others but really had to kiddy corner it which sucked. I am not ready for a cart bag yet 😂 still enjoy being able to walk the course and will for as long as I can....or until I go pro and have a caddy whatever happens first

My wife still has her SM Sync bag and it does take up more room in the trunk.  I could get both of our SM bags in the trunk but it was a squeeze with our two push carts.  With my carry bag I have more room.

EDIT:  Sorry, I forgot my wife replaced her SM bag with a Mizuno BR-D4C 14-way cart bag.  Same size, I just don't pay that much attention to it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I like 14 or 15 divider bags.  It seems that the grips last longer than a bag where they rub together.  I like a 15 way bag so that I can put a practice alignment stick in it.  I like the Datrek Lite Rider Pro Cart Bag.

Edited by crazygolfnut
  • Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I can't find a bag that I am 100% set on. I just got a C130 and it's nice but I'm not sure I like it. I had a SM 4.5LS 14 way and I liked it but the dividers ripped. I tried a 6 way mizuno pro stand bag and I liked it but the club tangle was a mfer to deal with, even with minimal clubs in each spot.

I tried the hoofer in store and didn't like the legs and how much force I had to use to get it to open.

Edited by beelzeberto
bag name

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

2 minutes ago, beelzeberto said:

I can't find a bag that I am 100% set on. I just got a C130 and it's nice but I'm not sure I like it. I had a SM 3.5 14 way and I liked it but the dividers ripped. I tried a 6 way mizuno pro stand bag and I liked it but the club tangle was a mfer to deal with, even with minimal clubs in each spot.

I tried the hoofer in store and didn't like the legs and how much force I had to use to get it to open.

Take a look at the Datrek Lite Rider Pro Cart Bag.  

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

SM H2N0 Cartbag, 14 way with separate putter well. No issues with tangling clubs and the best thing is completely waterproof, so no need to use extra raincover.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I prefer a 14 way as long as it has full length dividers.  With oversized grips It was a pain to get clubs in or out with anything but the 14.  An added bonus is not having to worry about forgetting a club.  A quick glance to ensure they are all there.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

My current bag is an OGIO Shredder cart bag with a 15 way divider. Most days it is okay but there are also days where it drives me crazy. It doesn't have full length dividers so occasionally the clubs get in the way of each other when I am putting one in.

I also have a Datrek 8 way stand bag that I will use occasionally if I play the local Par 3 course. I do like how that bag holds the clubs and it seems easier to get clubs in and out. The only real downside is that the bag doesn't stay on my push cart very well so I don't use it when I play a full course.

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I love hoofers and have only ever used 4-ways. The key is that you only put 3 clubs in each slot and the rest of the clubs go into the big mouth bottom slot. I have never had club binding issues when I use that system. Putter in the top slot works best for me FWIW.

However, the bennington 9-lite is the best bag I have ever used as @pooley7 brought up. No club chatter! I did a review a long time ago. 

On 4/19/2020 at 11:32 AM, pooley7 said:

For the summer, on my push cart, I like a 14 way divider.

I’m a bit forgetful ( wedge left at the previous green type thing🤪) and like peace and quiet when I’m walking and to keep my clubs in good condition. I also I hate “club clatter” as I walk 🤨

So the best bag I ever had was a Bennington Quiet Organiser. It had 9 spaces for the irons, a putter well and divided space for the woods. It was easy to see all your clubs, you could soon see if an iron was missing.

I’ve not got one any more and this is making me nostalgic - maybe I’ll have to get one for my next bag emoji848.pngemoji38.pngIMG_3155.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I use my well used 14-way C-130 Sun Mountain on my Bag Boy push cart or powered cart. I do have a Sun Mountain 14-way MPB which was designed as a carry bag. Did not like the weight of the bag with the clubs so I picked up another Sun Mountain that I think is a 6-way as my go to carry bag. But since I picked up the Bag Boy Quad XL cart last year, I have not carried a bag since. If you are exclusive push or ride, I would always go with a 14-way and one with a dedicated putter slot. I was fortunate to be chosen to test the Bag Boy Chiller cart bag in the next few months so I will be posting my review as soon as it is complete. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

My old Titleist bag is a 5 way with a  putter slot. So 6way ....lol   Is anyone making this anymore?

Golf In the morning, Golf at Noon and Golf in the Evening !!