Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

JumboMax grips

pooley7

Hi

So I’ve taken the plunge and got myself a chipper to try to prop up my weak chipping game 🤞🏼

A Square Strike 45 degree has been chosen and put in the bag. But it needs a putting type action and I’m using my putting grip but it feels weird with the standard tour velvet style narrow (standard) grip on there. I use a SuperStroke type grip on my putter and wanted something similar on my Square Strike. But it had to be legal so no putter grips allowed.

I settled on a JumboMax Wrap Small (not small - bigger than Jumbo - +1/4”) - and I like it for chipping.

But here’s the thing, with a bit of arthritis setting in to the fingers, I’m beginning to wonder about this type of grip for my irons too.

Has anyone got any experience of switching to these on their iron set?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB: Driver - Ping G400 Max 9 Degree, VA Slay X-Stiff Shaft   5 Wood - Ping 18 Degree, Ping Alta Stiff shaft   Irons - 4 & 5 Mizuno MP20 HMB, 5 to PW, Mizuno MP20 MMC, KBS C Taper Lite Stiff Shafts + 1 inch 1 degrees upright   Wedges - Ping Tour-W 54 & 58 Degree, AWT stiff steel shafts + 1/2 inch 3 degrees upright  Putter - Ping Sigma2 Tyne 35"

7 minutes ago, pooley7 said:

Hi

So I’ve taken the plunge and got myself a chipper to try to prop up my weak chipping game 🤞🏼

A Square Strike 45 degree has been chosen and put in the bag. But it needs a putting type action and I’m using my putting grip but it feels weird with the standard tour velvet style narrow (standard) grip on there. I use a SuperStroke type grip on my putter and wanted something similar on my Square Strike. But it had to be legal so no putter grips allowed.

I settled on a JumboMax Wrap Small (not small - bigger than Jumbo - +1/4”) - and I like it for chipping.

But here’s the thing, with a bit of arthritis setting in to the fingers, I’m beginning to wonder about this type of grip for my irons too.

Has anyone got any experience of switching to these on their iron set?

I use a MCC+4 grip on all of my clubs - they come in Std, Mid-size and Jumbo. FYI, I use an XL sized glove and use the Mid-size, I did try the Jumbo but it was too big. . So far the build-up on the +4 is great for choking down on your wedges.  I am going to try Winn Grip's new DRITAC LT on my 60* just to experiment. If you go to Golfworks.com you'll see the specs on all of these - their print catalog is even better. . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Mcc+4 midsize as well. Never had a bet grip.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Funnily enough, the MCC+4 midsize is my current grip on my irons 🤷🏼‍♂️

WITB: Driver - Ping G400 Max 9 Degree, VA Slay X-Stiff Shaft   5 Wood - Ping 18 Degree, Ping Alta Stiff shaft   Irons - 4 & 5 Mizuno MP20 HMB, 5 to PW, Mizuno MP20 MMC, KBS C Taper Lite Stiff Shafts + 1 inch 1 degrees upright   Wedges - Ping Tour-W 54 & 58 Degree, AWT stiff steel shafts + 1/2 inch 3 degrees upright  Putter - Ping Sigma2 Tyne 35"

• 3 months later...

I had been playing MCC+4 midsize, but re-gripped my all clubs about 15 rounds ago with Jumbomax small Pro grips after a trial period with one club.  Aside from getting a few random strange or negative comments, the experiment has been a success so far.  I've dropped about 1-2 strokes per round average since the change including multiple competition rounds.  The random low 80s round has not happened since the change over.  I hit more solid shots and less of the hooks that were score killers.  I do think it is worth trying out.  I've looked at other brands Jumbo sized  grips as I am always concerned about supply issues.  The only real negative it getting them in and out of the bag.  I might have to go with a large one.  

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree Fubuki stiff shaft. 

XXIO 3 wood 

XXIO 20 degree 4 hybrid

XXIO 23 degree 5 hybrid

PXG 0211 DC 6 thru GW MMT stiff shafts

PXG 0211 DC 54 degree sand wedge MMT shaft

Taylormade Hi-toe MG 60. 

Putter:  Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour lined.

I had been playing MCC+4 midsize, but re-gripped my all clubs about 15 rounds ago with Jumbomax small Pro grips after a trial period with one club.  Aside from getting a few random strange or negative comments, the experiment has been a success so far.  I've dropped about 1-2 strokes per round average since the change including multiple competition rounds.  The random low 80s round has not happened since the change over.  I hit more solid shots and less of the hooks that were score killers.  I do think it is worth trying out.  I've looked at other brands Jumbo sized  grips as I am always concerned about supply issues.  The only real negative it getting them in and out of the bag.  I might have to go with a large one.  

Interesting Thank you

2 Questions:

Was it purely an “anti-hook” measure for you?

And by “the random low 80’s round has not happened” I presume that means that you shoot in the 70’s or better all the time now 🤞🏼

I have a spare 6 iron for my set - the result of an unseen stone in a fairway bunker. I think it’s time for a JumboMax grip on that one, and see how that goes.

It was for two reasons, I wanted to see if would decrease the hooks that I occasionally get.  It has but I still hit a few.  More importantly, I have tennis and golfers elbow on both arms as well as arthritis in the hands and I switched to see if it would help with that.  It has definitely helped.  

I am currently a 3 handicap, so yes I shoot in the seventies most of the time.  The goal is to shoot in the 60's at least once this year.

It is worth trying on the range with your extra club.  Maybe trying the different sizes that they send with the trial package.  They felt huge initially but I got used to them extremely quickly.  Now they feel normal.   

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree Fubuki stiff shaft. 

XXIO 3 wood 

XXIO 20 degree 4 hybrid

XXIO 23 degree 5 hybrid

PXG 0211 DC 6 thru GW MMT stiff shafts

PXG 0211 DC 54 degree sand wedge MMT shaft

Taylormade Hi-toe MG 60. 

Putter:  Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour lined.