TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fitting importance?

I'm a 8.6 hndcp and have never been fitted for any clubs.  I was just curious of how many people have been fitted and did it benefit your game?  How pricey is a full bag fitting and do you have to buy new clubs or can they adjust the clubs you have to fit your swing?  I don't have tons of money to spend but if can drastically improve your game then I could save and make it work.  I live in Louisville Ky so if anyone who lives around here and knows of any good club fitters that would be awsome!

I would say that it all depends on what you expect to get out of your fitting. A good fitter will begin with a small interview to know what you are trying to get out of the process and have no club purchase requirements. Weather it be new clubs, performance or cost driven, or just simple adjustments to your current clubs. Maybe you just want the information and data. For me the fitting itself is worth the money just to get the trackman data and the fitters opinions on my swing and clubs. I will say that it’s highly unlikely that there will be huge noticeable jump in performance unless there is something serious holding you back in your equipment. It’s more about getting educated and having more tools/information at your disposal to get better, confidence and piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Jfontes said:

I'm a 8.6 hndcp and have never been fitted for any clubs.  I was just curious of how many people have been fitted and did it benefit your game?  How pricey is a full bag fitting and do you have to buy new clubs or can they adjust the clubs you have to fit your swing?  I don't have tons of money to spend but if can drastically improve your game then I could save and make it work.  I live in Louisville Ky so if anyone who lives around here and knows of any good club fitters that would be awsome!

I am a 7.8 right now and just had my first fitting over the winter. Unfortunately have not played to see if it’s benefited but from the fitting I can tell it will drastically change. I was also pointed out which I have brought up in several forums here how much I’m losing off the tee with the driver because I hit down. Been working on that as well so it’s not just getting the right clubs (which I was not even close to swinging the right ones before) but also errors in your swing.

i just revamped everything from 4 iron to my wedges. Did it for less than $1600. That’s also because I bought new instead of ebay.

hope this helps!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

4 hours ago, Jfontes said:

Club fitting with your swing coach on a trackman or similar device is a huge benefit also taking them onto the course to test. 

TaylorMade P790 - Dymanic Gold Shaft Stiff, 105g, Standard Lies & Length

TaylorMade M5 - Mitsubishi Chemical Shaft Stiff, 60g, 10.5g, Draw Bias

Right Handed

Sandton, Johannesburg, SA

Handicap 2

Fittings are worth it for all skill levels. The improvement on ones game will vary by the golfer but it’s better to play clubs that fit your swing than you trying to fit your swing to clubs

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Fitting is great to optimize your swing and priorities. In the best fitting experience I have had (Free from TrueSpec special) it helped me identify most of my shafts were too weak, I was hitting down on my driver causing a lot of spin (ballooning and loosing 15yards), and a heavier shaft helped tighten my dispersion.
I did not purchase clubs from them but used many of the spec and built my own set for much cheaper. I may not get the full benefit from buying used and building up a set but it was fun to do it myself.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I'm an 8.5 handicap and I found my first fitting last year was very helpful. I never would've purchased stiff shafts on my irons if I had just bought them off the shelf. The fitting showed me that a lighter stiff shaft was the ideal one for me. Made a big difference on the trajectory of my irons. I paid under $100 in Texas.

Callaway Mavrik driver, Apex 19 irons and Cleveland RTX-4 wedges.

This thread was posted pretty recently. I responded with my experience as a mid-high handicapper on a budget. There's a lot of good advice in there. 

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

Put me firmly in the Spectical of Fittings List catagory. I have been fitted a couple times and seen my  my playing companions fitted many times. How many times have I seen a noticeable increase in playing abilities and scores, beyond the placebo stage. I mention placebo because often players hit a “new thing” better for a while. 

Long term these changes rarely last. And different fitters give vastly different fitting advice.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

I basically spent years playing mid 80's golf and playing the same Ping Eye 2 clubs with standard loft/lie I had for years.  I got fitted 2-3 years ago and found that I was 1/2 inch over and 2 degrees upright.  Bought some clubs that fit and went to single digits rather quickly.  I had only been in the 70s one time before that and can shoot in the 70's pretty consistently with these clubs. 

Fitting was free as I bought clubs.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

On 4/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, Jfontes said:

I was just curious of how many people have been fitted and did it benefit your game? 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/search/?q=fitting&quick=1

I see that you are new to the forum. Welcome. A simple search of the forum and the link above will offer you every opinion under the sun about fittings. Best wishes in your quest to better golf. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Agreed with everyone else here. If you have the money, it is worth it. I have done 2 fittings, one when I was about an 18 and again when I was a 10. Both times, I was able to tighten dispersion and consistency which, for me, was the point. Reading reviews on here are always a great starting point for what clubs to try out but with so much tech these days, it is 100% worth it if you're going to drop money on clubs.

9* Epic Max LS 9* ADDI 6X

3W F9 ADDI 7X / 2i MP20 HMB AD DI 85S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5-PW MCC) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4

New putter each round until I stop sucking

Srixon Zstar Yellow

I got fitted for clubs and nothing really changed with my dispersion or flight. He said the spin rate and launch angle were better but I still hit the same ball flight (maybe slightly lower?). The only thing he did was change me from a JPX900F with a KBS 120 tour shaft, to a JPX919F and a TT DG S300 shaft.

My driver head and shaft change helped me the most, but I wasn't fitted for that. I took it on recommendation from my instructor that I've been taking lessons with this year. He isn't the one who fit me in the irons either, I did that before I went to see him.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

To me it just makes sense to get fitted if you are buying new, or even second hand, if possible, whatever your skill level.  

Just getting the length and lie right for you will help, or at worst do no harm.  The same with shafts, even if limited to a few 'stock' offerings, getting the most suitable from those available makes perfect sense if the option is there.

Granted, a 'detailed fine tuning' may not be worthwhile for a beginner with many inconsistencies, but something as fundamental as making sure that what they have is the right size etc must be benefit.