ZenGolfer

Faldo says driver size should be reduced.

Our Sponsors

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Drivers are designed for lower spin these days and pair that with a ball that is designed to spin less and go straighter even for the pros the ability to drastically move a ball side to side is reduced unless you are someone like Bubba who changes his setup to hit the shots his eyes see. So for a pro having a wood in their hand gives them a club with more spin and allows them to shape the shot easier.

For amateurs the added loft helps make it easier to hit as does the shorter shaft. Same principle with why amateurs tend to hit their shorter irons better than their longer irons.

It was also said many pros avoided using something like the SLDR because the lower spin made it harder to control. 

I see the Bubba-golfball example as showing us that some golfballs are straighter than others.  That's why he gave up on the Volvik, he couldn't move it.  Or such was the buzz.

Cobra King LTD @ 10.5*, ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5"
2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
3-PW:  Mizuno MP37, DGS300
GW: Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
SW:  Ram TG-898 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, Cleveland Designed By, or Mizuno TPM-2, all at 34", or Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro or FG Tour, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc

Sometimes play 2-PW Golden Ram TW282 or 2-PW 1980 Golden Rams

Occasionally swap in Orlimar or Ram persimmons at the top end of bag

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

It was also said many pros avoided using something like the SLDR because the lower spin made it harder to control. 

I see the Bubba-golfball example as showing us that some golfballs are straighter than others.  That's why he gave up on the Volvik, he couldn't move it.  Or such was the buzz.

Correct he was unable to move it as much as he would prefer and as a result he would end up offline from his expected to be. He had to adjust as most pros do and jumped ship when he was able to.

The sldr was definitely low spin and the pros like to be on the mid 2000s with spin.  

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think it’s so hypocritical for these former pros to talk about rolling back equipment. In the same manner he talks about driver head size, he should’ve not used metal driver heads. He should’ve never played with steel shafts. He never should’ve had access to balls that weren’t wound. Such a joke. They enjoyed the technological advancements of their day, but no one now should be allowed to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I think it’s so hypocritical for these former pros to talk about rolling back equipment. In the same manner he talks about driver head size, he should’ve not used metal driver heads. He should’ve never played with steel shafts. He never should’ve had access to balls that weren’t wound. Such a joke. They enjoyed the technological advancements of their day, but no one now should be allowed to do so.

It’s funny you mentioned this. We were discussing the same at work and thought it was amusing how there hasn’t been a time (besides TM’s .86 COR drivers) where the rules decided that restrictions would be placed on technology.

Let them hit bombs. DJ didn’t start to win until he and his brother learned simple math and could hit his wedges.
  • Like 3

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

I'm with you. I just dont agree with some who seem to think it would ruin the game. I honestly think the answer is just to grow the rough and narrow the fairways. You want to play bomb and gouge? Cool. Good luck findung your ball, much less hacking your 2nd shot out of 4"-6" deep rough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We don’t play bomb and gauge - we’re both in our 60’s and I’m sure both longer than the average which according to ARCOSS is around 210. There is no distance problem in golf. There’s an athletic problem. The one thing the young bombers that I play with have in common is that they are good athletes who are fit.

Perhaps we should ban them from the sport to make it more fair. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

On 4/22/2020 at 5:43 PM, PMookie said:

Like jack only having a problem with distance because he’s a course designer yet had no problem being one of the long hitters during his playing days.

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

We don’t play bomb and gauge - we’re both in our 60’s and I’m sure both longer than the average which according to ARCOSS is around 210. There is no distance problem in golf. There’s an athletic problem. The one thing the young bombers that I play with have in common is that they are good athletes who are fit.

Perhaps we should ban them from the sport to make it more fair. 🙂

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

It would be hard to find a top level amateur who isn’t doing some form of physical training and probably even harder to find one that isn’t combing weight training with speed training and/or explosive movement type training. You will find golfers that are more serious/intense in their training than others but that’s no different than in any other sport. But I doubt you find many that aren’t exercising or stretching in some manner

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My two cents on this, the US Open experience of the past few years is a good example of how difficult golf can be to the sports elite even with the best equipment. If the powers that be decide golf needs to be more difficult, schedule more difficult venues and let the USGA go crazy. I personally was not a fan of the Shinnecock experience. 

Just curious, does Sir Nick still game his set from back in the good old days? Or is he benefitting from today's oversized drivers??