TESTERS WANTED! ×

hybrid question

Am I the only one who can't hit a hybrid club? All I ever read is how easy hybrids are and why they replace long irons, etc... but I just can't hit one to save my life!

My shots are basically topped and when hit on the sweet spot, either a big slice or a big hook.

Do you guys have any advice for it?

Are you supposed to hit it like an iron or a FW woods? Sweeping motion or descending strike?

Ball placement in the middle of your stance or a little more forward?

Graphite or steel shaft? I'm currently using the same shaft as my irons.

Any other suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have a G15 hydbrid, which is an iron-like hybrid, and I hit it accordingly. Love it.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

• SPY VIP

Am I the only one who can't hit a hybrid club? All I ever read is how easy hybrids are and why they replace long irons, etc... but I just can't hit one to save my life!

My shots are basically topped and when hit on the sweet spot, either a big slice or a big hook.

Are you supposed to hit it like an iron or a FW woods? Sweeping motion or descending strike?

We've fully tested 2 hybrids now this year, and have two more currently in for review. What we're finding is that while for most golfers hybrids might be marginally easier to hit than long irons, they're far from easy for the average golfer to make consistent solid contact with. For the most part, I think the OEMs have put up quite a smoke screen when it comes to how hybrids perform for the average golfer. Believe me, it's not just you. From what I can tell, but for low-mid single digit handicappers, most golfers struggle with longer clubs (especially from tighter lies), and simply changing the design of the head is insufficient to make a radical difference for most of us.

The thing we never lose sight of when we test is the psychological aspect of the review, demo, test, whatever you want to call it process. Guys will hit two hybrids, the end results will be very similar (left, right, long, short, high, low, you name it...it all amounts to wildly inconsistent). They'll tell me they simply can't hit one of them (not forgiving enough, etc.) and mention specific shots that weren't very good. They'll then tell me the other is the best, most forgiving hybrid they've ever hit and then point to specific good shots as evidence (while telling me how much longer and straighter it is). In reality, the numbers almost always suggest that they're nearly equally as bad with both, they just happen to like one better than the other. In some cases, our testers actually get it completely wrong (they're much better with the club they tell us they can't hit). It's important to keep these sorts of things in mind when considering opinion-based reviews that don't include any form of supporting data.

As far as ball position and sweeping vs. hitting down on the ball are concerned...my assessment is that it really depends on the hybrid in your bag. While the first hybrids to hit the market were very similar, over time the design has forked a bit. Some hybrids are designed with bigger heads (pre-SuperFast TaylorMade Burner, Adams Idea Black "Super Hybrid"), while others are relatively compact (Adams Pro Black & A12, Titleist 585, Nike VR Pro). There's also plenty on the market that I'd call mid-sized that more or less split the difference (Titleist 910). If I were playing one of the larger headed, and most mid-sized models, I'd be more inclined to put the ball forward and try and sweep the ball. Personally, I'm not particularly comfortable with that (which is in part why I've never been a consistent FW player), and I tend to gravitate to the smaller-headed hybrids.

With that in mind, I tend to play my hybrids just front of middle (just like I would a long iron), but not to where I would call them forward in my stance. Even off the tee with an 18 degree hybrid I find that I take a small divot with my best swings. If you're more comfortable with this type of setup, then I believe it's absolutely imperative that you select a hybrid more suited to that type of swing. Rather than tell you how you should swing, I'm more inclined to ask you what type of swing you're more comfortable with.

As far as graphite vs steel goes...I like graphite it everything that's not an iron, wedge, or putter. I can't speak to actual performance, it's just preference.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Initially I found the hybrids I ran across too heavy and clumsy. However there isn't any saying any club design is bad until you have given it a fair try. I bought one and used it a couple of months.

It stopped being heavy and I found I could use it a number of ways. However there was one characteristic I could not get control of. The club has no brakes and the ball rolls endlessly and uncontrollably for me. I could not find a way to predict the ball's destination with any reasonable predictability and there really were not any shots with the hybrid that I couldn't do a reasonable approximation of with a choked down fairway.

The hybrid stays home now and will stay there until I get a new idea of how to use it, or some fairway presents some condition that requires it as an advantage.

Shambles

I have it in my bag for decoration purposes :)

It's the clone of the Callaway Diablo Edge hybrid (and no, I can't hit the original one either)

Is this the big headed type or more the smaller ones?

I'm more comfortable with an iron swing. I'm more consistent with my 4 iron than a 18* hybrid. I don't have a 3 iron, but I'm pretty positive I could hit it better than the hybrid as well.

Shambles, just like you... I'm so lost with this club. When I hit it right, I don't even know if the flight/carry/roll/distance are what they are supposed to be. A pro at our course says they should go sky high and land softly... lol my shots don't go higher than a basketball rim...

So I was thinking: I am either 1% of the golfers who hate hybrids and find them hard to hit or it's all just a big hoax!

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

• SPY VIP

I have it in my bag for decoration purposes :)

It's the clone of the Callaway Diablo Edge hybrid (and no, I can't hit the original one either)

Is this the big headed type or more the smaller ones?

I'm more comfortable with an iron swing. I'm more consistent with my 4 iron than a 18* hybrid. I don't have a 3 iron, but I'm pretty positive I could hit it better than the hybrid as well.

Shambles, just like you... I'm so lost with this club. When I hit it right, I don't even know if the flight/carry/roll/distance are what they are supposed to be. A pro at our course says they should go sky high and land softly... lol my shots don't go higher than a basketball rim...

So I was thinking: I am either 1% of the golfers who hate hybrids and find them hard to hit or it's all just a big hoax!

The Diablo Edge is definitely larger than I'd be comfortable with. Take a look at the forum thread with pictures of the Adams A12. Taking a look at the photo of the sole, I'm guessing you'll notice a significant size difference between what you're playing now and what I would qualify as a small hybrid.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I think it's mental as much as anything else. I'm the opposite as you, I can hit long hybrids, but am horrible with 3 and 4 irons even though I hit my 5 iron very well.

The other question is how well do you hit a FW wood? Maybe you don't like lighter clubs? It's definitely possible to build a hybrid with a steel shaft and cutting it to the same length as a normal 3 or 4 iron since the heads weight the same (at least theoretically). This will give you a bit more weight and you might like the feel of the club better.

I can do OK with my FW wood teed up... 50/50 on the fairway... but still 50/50 is higher than my hit % with a hybrid :D

I have my hybrid built with steel shaft replacing a 2 or 3 iron (18*). Weight is similar to an iron, but maybe the length is what's screwing me up? Not just the length... I went to the range a few minutes ago and realized that if I want the club to sit properly on address (heel and toe on the ground) my distance to the ball increases. It's probably normal, since the club is supposed to be longer, but then it doesn't feel like hitting down like an iron.

If you already have steel shafts, then the length is probably the same as a 3 iron. With graphite shafts, .5" is added to normalize the swingweight because of the lighter shaft.

I'd definitely agree a hybrid doesn't have the same feel as an iron, but as long as the divot looks good and the balls goes the distance, then you're probably doing it right.

One thing I cannot avoid is that there really are people who play better with Hybrids and, in their hands, performance does not significantly differ from Irons or Fairways. I've even played with one person who played a set that was almost entirely hybrid. Only his wedges, 2 pcs., looked like irons. I looked to me as if his hybrids didn't have brakes either but he seemed to like playing that set.

For some people those things are a godsend and for others an expensive exercise. I have a tendency to favor irons because they are already in my hands and practiced. Even the long irons are not nearly as difficult to hit as legend, but FW's are clearly easier for me and it's more a matter of mood and comfort that makes the selection.

Maybe it's time for me to stop looking and settle down to finding out how much I can do with what I already have.

Shambles

I'll chime in here as a high handicapper. To start, I love my hybrids, they are my go to club. I often find myself hitting my 3H off the tee on days my driver is disagreeing with me.

I struggle with my driver pretty often, and I've never been able to hit woods (partly because I've never had one that fits me). I've also never played long irons, so part of the reason I am confident with the hybrid is because I've never played anything else.

As some people have already said I play mine slightly forward of center.

I have to totally agree with MyGolfSpyT, that a lot of it is mental too; I have convinced myself that this club can do no wrong, and I selectively forget the bad swings and brag about the good. Since I play a lot of shots out of the rough, I really like how they cut through the grass and don't loose too much distance.

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Hit all of them like the club they replace. With a hybrid, it replaces an iron, and as such should be swung and hit like an iron, with a descending strike and taking a divot. You're wanting to play it more toward the center of your stance instead of up front like a fairway metal. That's the common misconception I see a lot of people making when trying to transition to a hybrid. They look down, see the larger head, more like a fairway's shape, and hit it like a fairway metal. That's incorrect. Let the club's loft do the work and swing it properly, like an iron.

For some, to make the transition easier, to start with, they have to find a hybrid that looks more traditional, and more iron like. A few of those, which are older because hybrids are the norm now, are the Titleist 503.h, Bridgestone AirMuscle, and Mixuno Fli-Hi. Find one of those and start with it, I had to transition beginning with the 503.h's because of their shape making it easier to wrap my mind around a proper hybrid swing. Now, I have Adams Pro Black SF's, which are tour issued and smaller than normal hybrid heads.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

As the shaft gets longer, the more sweep takes over.

Hybrids can and often are swung like a mid or short iron, as are FW's, but we must remember that they have no grooves to speak of and the business of using it like a mid or short iron is for specialty shots. The hybrid is more wood than iron regardless of shape and length of shaft, most times. The long irons also encroach or overlap, to some degree into fairway wood territory. The difference was, traditionally, that woods don't have the brakes that irons have and were more likely to roll out. A good long iron shot will not roll out as much as a fairway but still have the carry to get you to your goal. Fairways with enough loft, however, can also stop quickly, so if you don't have the swing for the long iron, the right fairway can take up some of the slack.

The hybrid tries to fit itself into a created space between fairways and irons but I'm far from certain if there is success there. If distance were the only consideration, fairways with a flock of shaft length and loft choices exist. Higher lofted fairways were actually used as trouble clubs but people went more for the distance than the ability to get out of trouble. There was also the fact that as the loft increased, the fairway edged more into an iron face and lost it's bulge and roll. It wasn't that much of a stretch to lengthen the face, redistribute weight and thereby make the club act as if it were offset and help players who might have difficulty squaring the club. By doing so, the hybrid became easier to use than the long iron and the traditional fairway with regard to reducing slice. The players who don't have a slice tendency can use traditional woods or differently weight distributed hybrids.

Bottom line of all this is you still need to get to know the club you have and to determine your skill level, to find out what you need. The short answer has long been to buy a hybrid or a fairway if you don't have the strength or skill to use a long iron, but if you choose the wrong type of fairway or hybrid, you will face disappointment and frustration.

Shambles

Butch Harmon's thoughts on how to hit a hybrid:

The new hybrid clubs are a breakthrough for the average golfer. Without changing your swing, you can hit the ball higher and straighter than you can your 3- or 4-iron, which shortly are going to find a permanent place in your garage.

The question is, what type of swing do you make? The answer is, the same swing you used to make with your nowdefunct long irons. That means playing the ball forward in your stance, directly below the logo on your shirt, and using your normal grip, stance and posture. You want to be relaxed at address, because there is no need to press with these clubs. They're light, forgiving and easy to swing.

Take the club back low and make a smooth, comfortable turn. On the downswing, don't think of hitting down sharply on the ball. You want to make more of a sweeping-type swing, hitting down on the ball very slightly. You should take a tiny divot, if any divot at all.

Remember to swing easy, at about 80 percent of your effort for a normal shot. The club will do the rest, even off the tightest fairway lies. Get ready to have some fun.

1 # Butch Harmon America's 50 Greatest Teachers

Harmon runs the Butch Harmon School of Golf at Rio Secco Golf Club in Henderson, Nev. He works with Darren Clarke, Justin Leonard and Adam Scott, among other tour players.

REPLACEMENT GUIDE

Hybrid = Iron Recommendation

14-16 degrees 1-iron No one needs

a 1-iron

17-19 degrees 2-iron Useful off the tee

and fairway

20-22 degrees 3-iron You don't need a

3-iron,either

23-25 degrees 4-iron The hybrid goes

higher

26-28 degrees 5-iron The 5-iron is no

piece of cake.

Swap it out, too

Butch Harmon "Butch's basics: swing your hybrid clubs the same as you would your 4-iron". Golf Digest. FindArticles.com. 29 May, 2011. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_7_55/ai_n6092998/

COPYRIGHT 2004 Golf Digest Companies

COPYRIGHT 2008 Gale, Cengage Learning

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Thanks for all the input guys. Now just have to go practice :)

I love my 4 and 5 irons, so they'll stay pure irons. But a 18* is definitely a good weapon I could use in my arsenal.

• 2 months later...

I'll chime in as a single digit hybrid lover! I carry a 15* hybrid that I generally hit with a more sweeping, fairway woodish swing, and a 21* that I hit like a 3 iron. I like both the clubs, the 15* can get a bit wayward from time to time but is definitely no sketchier than the 4 iron and way more manageable for me than a 3W. The 21* is a great club, and I've learned how to get really creative with the it, choking it down, opening the face, hitting low runners, it is one of my go to "comfort clubs" that I will favor hitting even if it isn't the perfect club for the shot at hand.

My biggest challenge with hybrids is getting my distance gaps covered properly. I can't say I've really accomplished that, I have a bit of a gap where my iron's end and my hybrids begin. I could bring the hybrid loft up, but I don't want to do that because it would create a gap at the high end and I don't want to change my 15*. So I play with a "?" in the 190-230 yard range. I think most of us do anyhow, no matter what we're baggin!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

For me the hardest part about finding a good hybrid is finding a good hybrid shaft. It seems most stock hybrid shafts are built more like a 3wood shaft. I like the hybrid shaft to feel close to an iron shaft. I like 100 gram hybrid shafts versus 80. 100 grams is still 20 grams lighter than my steel, but has enough weight to swing like a long iron.

I spy with my little eye something...

• 3 weeks later...

I live on my hybrids... I probably have my most consistent shots from them outside of my wedges.

My hybrids seem to put on the brakes at the right times, ie: I know if I'm shooting at a green, I've usually got a chance of hitting and stopping on the green without any issue.

I can't hit a 4 iron to save my life, and my 5 scares the crap out of me even though I know I shouldn't. I'll find myself on most lies where I know I should my 5, I'd rather pull out my shorter hybrid and just swing at about 80%....

I think I hit all of my clubs too far forward in my stance.... so that said, I have my hybrids playing slightly forward and with a downward swing.

And now after reading Butch's comments... I kinda wanna go pick up a hybrid to replace my 5!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey buddy before when i got the Rescue 09 i couldnt figure for my life how the hell do i get this ball airborne.

but Until i took some lessons n learnt more abt delivering the golf club and compressing the golf ball i begin to understand why the hybrid is so much easier to hit than my long irons.

I put the ball slightly forward of centr, weight 50/50 same way tt ill swing a long iron. now i get the ball high up and land soft at the 170-180m mark depending on how solid my contact is. When i used to carry a 3 iron yes i can get it to 170m sometimes but when i miss the sweetspot it just rolls and its ugly. the hybrid has definitely made my long par 3s and shorter par 5s a lot easier

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I just got the feeling for hybrids a couple of weeks ago (after struggling for over a year).

My 3W had let me down the whole round when I arrived a 220 yard Par 3. So I gave my 18* hybrid a chance and straight onto the green. The 3 putt is another story.

I'm swinging 80% on my hybrid and realized the topped ball problem disappeared. I've heard the theory since day 1: don't over swing, swing smoothly, etc. and I never really paid attention to it.

It just amazes me how easy you can do it and still achieve the same distance.

Now I'm getting the RAZR X 18* hybrid clone, but now installing a graphite shaft to play around and compare it with the steel shaft I'm now playing.

Now I'm getting the RAZR X 18* hybrid clone, but now installing a graphite shaft to play around and compare it with the steel shaft I'm now playing.

Can I talk you out of the clone and get you into a Swing Science S800? 18* head for $50 on Ebay. I can't speak to how the Callaway clone performs, but the SS S800 is a beast. I have owned Adams, Nike, Callaway, and TM hybrids and this SS S800 is second to none. I can unleash on one and hit it 260 or I can play a high fade and hit it 215; it's my favorite club in my bag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swing-Science-S-800-18-Hybrid-Head-w-Headcover-/360388394857?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item53e8d27f69

LOL 260... that's abuse!!! That's what I hit with my driver :(

Thanks for your suggestion, I already placed the order for the clone, BUT I will contact the seller and see how much the shipping to Germany costs. If it's cheap, I'll buy it as well and do a better comparison.

Should the shipping be more than the club head itself, I think I'll go to Florida by the end of the year and I'll do some nice golf shopping!

LOL 260... that's abuse!!! That's what I hit with my driver :(

I've only done that off of tee boxes; the only time I'd try it outside of that is if I had a perfect lie in short rough, I usually hit it 225-230. Let me know if you end up getting one, I'm interested in hearing what someone else thinks of it. The only other person that I know that has one is the guy that built mine; he has access to anything and he chooses to put one of these in his bag, that speaks to the quality of this club.

I've only done that off of tee boxes; the only time I'd try it outside of that is if I had a perfect lie in short rough, I usually hit it 225-230. Let me know if you end up getting one, I'm interested in hearing what someone else thinks of it. The only other person that I know that has one is the guy that built mine; he has access to anything and he chooses to put one of these in his bag, that speaks to the quality of this club.

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a MGS ultimate review!

Archived