TESTERS WANTED! ×

Whats your favorite club for a “bump n’ run”

I use my 7 iron. I’ve watched a few reviews where they suggest using a hybrid. Might give that a go this summer

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I will use an m2 3hybrid (depending on conditions i change out the 3h for u510). Its so easy to use hybrid. Set in the back of ur stance, raise the heel a tad off the ground, then just make a putting stroke. N watch it roll it onto the green! 

"The greatest pleasure is obtained in improving" - Ben Hogan

Where’s the pin and how much green do I have to work with?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Where’s the pin and how much green do I have to work with?

Great question! Elevated green 20yards front to back, fringe is mowed super tight. Middle pin. 15-20 yards out. 

"The greatest pleasure is obtained in improving" - Ben Hogan

8 iron, been using it forever. Tried the hybrid but couldn’t control roll well enough.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I automatically pull out the 7 iron. It's a top notch performer for B&R - why mess with success.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, ForTheLoveofTheGame said:

Im in love with using my Titliest u510 1iron.  The ball seems to trampoline off w a predictable, controlled roll. What do you guys prefer? 

I love my 8 iron for a longer one. Super controlled and just rolls so well. Can get it in the air a little as necessary or keep it real low

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

If I've got less than 2ft of fringe I'll likely putt it. Better speed control with that club than anything else.

With more fringe and a long run-out I'll probably go 7-8 if uphill and 9-PW if downhill.

Pin in downhill.  For non-covid rounds, pin out up hill. Let;s hope that's soon.

:cobra-small: F9 9* Atmos Tour Spec Black 6s 45"

:nickent-small:  17* and 20* Hybrids Aldila NVS

:macgregor-small:  VIP V-foil 1025c 4-P True Temper 120g ProPel Lite 2* flat, 1* strong

:cleveland-small:  CG10 52* (bent 50*) and 56 (bent 55*)

:mizuno-small:   MpTseries 60* Raw Haze

:ping-small:   Faith Wack-E 32"

:taylormade-small:TP5 ball

:titelist-small: Stand bag

2 hours ago, ForTheLoveofTheGame said:

Great question! Elevated green 20yards front to back, fringe is mowed super tight. Middle pin. 15-20 yards out. 

Elevated green I’m adding loft and probably not playing a bump a run but fly it further with spin.

15-20 yards out also isn’t a bump a run. 

Bump and run for me is probably no more than 5 yards off the green and have a pin that’s close to middle or back of the green. I will use anything from a wedge to a 5i. The more run out I need the less loft

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Elevated green I’m adding loft and probably not playing a bump a run but fly it further with spin.

Bump and run for me is probably no more than 5 yards off the green and have a pin that’s close to middle or back of the green. I will use anything from a wedge to a 5i. The more run out I need the less loft

15/20 yards off the green and middle pin I’m going w PW or GW.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

How fast is the green running?  What type of grass?  Am I chipping into the grain or not?

I'm with @RickyBobby_PR with the info so far.  I'm flying it further with some spin, either with my 60 or 54 judgement call depending on green speed.  If it's Bermuda and I'm into the grain, I will use a 9i.  I don't practice chipping with longer clubs and don't usually play on Bermuda.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I like using my 52 degree wedge. I can can either hit it low or open it up and hit it high.  Most times I have good control with it. My dad always tried to tell me you use a 7 or 8 iron, but I just couldn’t control those as well. 

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

See I consider a bump and run anything where your getting 1 check and rolling. Can be from 30 yards out on an elevated green. Bump into the elevation and run onto the green....but the definition below leans towards more what you’re saying. I have always thought of bump and run from distanxe

BF7DD14E-539E-41B0-B8B9-00B657DF4260.png

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I practice hitting a variety of green side shots with different clubs because I find it easier to make a similar stroke and change distance, loft, and spin based on the club. It's rare for me to use less loft than my 50-degree wedge though, but there have been times when I've resorted to a hybrid. All just depends on on the lie, pin position, green speed, and slope/contours.

Based on the scenario described in response to @RickyBobby_PR, I'd probably play a more lofted shot with my 58* that carries onto the green and rolls out about 5 yards.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

8 iron, that's how my Dad taught me to chip when I was a youngster.  Used it a long time until I started using a sandwedge.  Will still go it a lot if I have a lot of green to cover and a tight lie...  I too will start practicing with a hybrid to see how I like it but, I don't think that tool will ever not be in the tool belt.

Driver:  Taylormade '16 9.5* M1 Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH

3 Wood: Cobra F7 14.5 Degree Aldila DVS Fairway 75X

5 Wood: Taylormade R15 17 degree Fujikura Speeder 67 S

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie and 1* strong

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Oddysey White Hot #7 Fang, Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Mallet, Callaway S2H2

39 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

See I consider a bump and run anything where your getting 1 check and rolling. Can be from 30 yards out on an elevated green. Bump into the elevation and run onto the green....but the definition below leans towards more what you’re saying. I have always thought of bump and run from distanxe

BF7DD14E-539E-41B0-B8B9-00B657DF4260.png

I had a feeling you were think that way. A chip could be a one bounce and run as could a pitch. In your example of a elevated green one could fly the fly the ball to the hole and use a hop and stop or fly it half way and let it release. Same from a 30-50 with a pitch shot.

but I’m more in line with what you posted and that a bump is exactly that a small bump of the ball close to the green. 

13 hours ago, Shankster said:

In the scenario you described I would open up my 56° and play a high spinners there is no wind.

Wind? I’d hit a low one.

I am no good at judging distance on bump and run shots.

Samesies. Especially in the north east where the conditions vary day to day based on the rain. Some days the ball bounces from the apron onto the green and other days it just hits and stops. 

I'd love to get more creative with low shots and bump and runs from further off the green, but conditions and course layouts just aren't very conducive for that around here 

It really depends upon the distance and how much carry and roll I want.  If its a short chip where I need to fly some rough, PW.  If Im right on the edge of the green and I want the ball to roll most of the way, 8-iron.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

One other consideration as everyone posts clubs other than SW and LW is the loft of the clubs you post.  People post 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, even PW, but chances are that the loft of the iron you post is different than others with the same club.  Earlier I posted that if I don't use my 54 or my 60 (because I usually fly the ball closer to the hole) and want a true bump 'n run, I use my 9i.  However, I failed to mention that my 9i is 33º, which is likely a 7i for many of you.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a fan of this sort of system. After a while you get the hang of what your number is. Most of the time I use 11 as my key number. Plus if it's downhill etc. I adjust accordingly.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

For me it depends on the course and the shot. Most of the time it is the 7 iron but can be the 8  iron or PW--- And remember guys I play older traditional lofted clubs so your modern 8 iron is like my 7 iron. With all of that being said if conditions dictate that putter will be in my hand when ever possible

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Samesies. Especially in the north east where the conditions from vary day to day based on the rain. Some days the ball bounces from the apron onto the green and other days it just hits and stops. 
I'd love to get more creative with low shots and bump and runs from further off the green, but conditions and course layouts just aren't very conducive for that around here 

Yes sir. I grew up playing on a cornfield course where the fairways and everything else for that matter was a highway in the summer. Used to play a lot of running shots, but I’ve lost the touch for anything other than a chip from the fringe.

Where I’m at in Maryland now, I’ve had the wind change directions so many times I gave up trying to figure out any sort of pattern. It’ll be 20 out of the south in the morning, then 10 from the north in the afternoon, then west in the evening.

And like you said, the course I play and some of the hole locations a bump and run is impossible unless you want to be 50+ feet away.

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

One other consideration as everyone posts clubs other than SW and LW is the loft of the clubs you post.  People post 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, even PW, but chances are that the loft of the iron you post is different than others with the same club.  Earlier I posted that if I don't use my 54 or my 60 (because I usually fly the ball closer to the hole) and want a true bump 'n run, I use my 9i.  However, I failed to mention that my 9i is 33º, which is likely a 7i for many of you.

To me that’s not an issue. I’ve played blades, cavity backs, GI and players distance irons. It’s a simple approach. The amount of green to run thru and the speeds determines what club I use. The goal is to get it on the green about 1/3 of the way and let it run out. A fast green with lots of green to work with I’ll go anywhere from a 9-7i in any of the sets. Slower greens and lots of runout a 7-5. the thought of me having a blades 7i or a stronger one in the p790 never enters my mind. While it’s not the same touch and feel as a pitch shot the concept still applies if knowing what landing spot and what the ball will do when it lands. 

People get hung up on loft way to much imo. For some a sw is 54 and others it’s a 56, lob wedge for some is 58 others 60. If someone says they use a sw to play a certain shot it doesn’t matter to me what loft they are using I know what spot on the bag it refers to

16 hours ago, ForTheLoveofTheGame said:

If I'm understanding your scenario, (and I'm doing this math to show my thought process) I'm 10 yards away from the front of the green and have 10 yards of green to work with. With the green sloping front to back, I'm wanting to have the chip not run past the hole so my putt is an uphill putt. I'll want something that doesn't roll too much after it lands on the green. 

I would use my 56* and look to have the ball fly 15yds. Playing into the uphill slope should prevent the ball from rolling out too far and at the worst, (hopefully) I'm left with a 15ft putt.

As to my favorite club for a bump and run, I use my 7i most often for a bump and run. Most of my bump and runs, I play when I'm only a few feet off the green and use a putting stroke. I have tried using longer clubs with less loft, but find I have better control with the 7i.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

To me that’s not an issue. I’ve played blades, cavity backs, GI and players distance irons. It’s a simple approach. The amount of green to run thru and the speeds determines what club I use. The goal is to get it on the green about 1/3 of the way and let it run out. A fast green with lots of green to work with I’ll go anywhere from a 9-7i in any of the sets. Slower greens and lots of runout a 7-5. the thought of me having a blades 7i or a stronger one in the p790 never enters my mind. While it’s not the same touch and feel as a pitch shot the concept still applies if knowing what landing spot and what the ball will do when it lands. 

People get hung up on loft way to much imo. For some a sw is 54 and others it’s a 56, lob wedge for some is 58 others 60. If someone says they use a sw to play a certain shot it doesn’t matter to me what loft they are using I know what spot on the bag it refers to

I agree about the SW and LW which is why I excluded them from my example.  The lofts are close enough to not consider.  But lofts are important.

It makes a big difference to me if someone like @BIG STU says he's using a 7i, maybe 8i.  He says he's using "traditional" lofts.  Since I know about what those lofts are, I can compare my choices with his.  In my case it's 9i, maybe PW.  To use your case it wouldn't make much difference to me if I used my 5i, 6i, or 7i; they are 22-26º loft.  I doubt yours are that strong.  Since I don't know what lofts others have, I can't get a reasonable comparison, and until I posted my clubs' lofts, people would get the wrong impression of what I use for the shot.

Since nobody knows what clubs everyone else has, a comparison really can't be made except it's either high lofted or medium lofted.

The bump 'n run shot is a very useful shot when very close to the green, and it is probably the safest shot for people with poor short game skills.  The key is knowing your clubs, judging the green roll-out, and hitting your spot on the green.  When you play the same course all the time, it's easier to judge and you become cognizant of which clubs work best on certain greens.  However, if you play at many different courses with different green conditions, that skill can become inconsistent.  That is the main reason I choose to use lofted clubs, carry the ball to a spot closer to the hole, and allow the ball to run out from there.