TESTERS WANTED! ×

Whats your favorite club for a “bump n’ run”

I agree about the SW and LW which is why I excluded them from my example.  The lofts are close enough to not consider.  But lofts are important.
It makes a big difference to me if someone like [mention=4406]BIG STU[/mention] says he's using a 7i, maybe 8i.  He says he's using "traditional" lofts.  Since I know about what those lofts are, I can compare my choices with his.  In my case it's 9i, maybe PW.  To use your case it wouldn't make much difference to me if I used my 5i, 6i, or 7i; they are 22-26º loft.  I doubt yours are that strong.  Since I don't know what lofts others have, I can't get a reasonable comparison, and until I posted my clubs' lofts, people would get the wrong impression of what I use for the shot.
Since nobody knows what clubs everyone else has, a comparison really can't be made except it's either high lofted or medium lofted.
The bump 'n run shot is a very useful shot when very close to the green, and it is probably the safest shot for people with poor short game skills.  The key is knowing your clubs, judging the green roll-out, and hitting your spot on the green.  When you play the same course all the time, it's easier to judge and you become cognizant of which clubs work best on certain greens.  However, if you play at many different courses with different green conditions, that skill can become inconsistent.  That is the main reason I choose to use lofted clubs, carry the ball to a spot closer to the hole, and allow the ball to run out from there.

Loft is probably meaningless as well someone that bumps and runs with ball back and lots of forward press may have significantly less loft that a lower numbered club that is played forward in the stance.

I think technique comes more into play. Does the person move ball position, change clubface orientation, forward press, etc. or do they play same ball position and focus on consistent carry and specific rollout.

I try to look at ball flight, landing spot, and necessary rollout. That will dictate the club. My favorite is the one that enables me to execute the shot in my head. Most times, I hate them all!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Played this morning 20mph winds and I had this thread in my head on every shot that missed the green which was often. GW saw the most action because most of the greens were elevated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

8i for the bump and run. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Loft is probably meaningless as well someone that bumps and runs with ball back and lots of forward press may have significantly less loft that a lower numbered club that is played forward in the stance.

I think technique comes more into play. Does the person move ball position, change clubface orientation, forward press, etc. or do they play same ball position and focus on consistent carry and specific rollout.

I try to look at ball flight, landing spot, and necessary rollout. That will dictate the club. My favorite is the one that enables me to execute the shot in my head. Most times, I hate them all!

Great point!  I don't strike the ball very well when it's back in my stance, so I tend to play slightly forward of middle which is probably why I prefer lofted clubs.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Where I play there are very few trees or structures to block the continuous 20+mph wind from the west. I’ll play a bump and run with a half swing 4 iron from 100 yards if it’s a quartering wind to a narrow green. Predicting anything but a 100% pureknock-down wedge is tough in those conditions.
For most around the green sort of bump and runs I want to carry just onto the fringe and let it roll the rest of the way, and adjust the club accordingly. A “stock” shot for me would be a forward press with an 8-iron, essentially turning it into a 7i, then holding the face off. Don’t want any hook spin on it at all, or you’ll watch your bump and run keep running. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I like the 8 Iron for these types of shots... I seem to be able to control it better and not blast it across the green. I have tried a hybrid from time to time, but the length of the club throws me off. 

Twitter: @bobbyburdette

Instagram: bobbyburdette

46 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I agree about the SW and LW which is why I excluded them from my example.  The lofts are close enough to not consider.  But lofts are important.

It makes a big difference to me if someone like @BIG STU says he's using a 7i, maybe 8i.  He says he's using "traditional" lofts.  Since I know about what those lofts are, I can compare my choices with his.  In my case it's 9i, maybe PW.  To use your case it wouldn't make much difference to me if I used my 5i, 6i, or 7i; they are 22-26º loft.  I doubt yours are that strong.  Since I don't know what lofts others have, I can't get a reasonable comparison, and until I posted my clubs' lofts, people would get the wrong impression of what I use for the shot.

Since nobody knows what clubs everyone else has, a comparison really can't be made except it's either high lofted or medium lofted.

The bump 'n run shot is a very useful shot when very close to the green, and it is probably the safest shot for people with poor short game skills.  The key is knowing your clubs, judging the green roll-out, and hitting your spot on the green.  When you play the same course all the time, it's easier to judge and you become cognizant of which clubs work best on certain greens.  However, if you play at many different courses with different green conditions, that skill can become inconsistent.  That is the main reason I choose to use lofted clubs, carry the ball to a spot closer to the hole, and allow the ball to run out from there.

Yeah we definitely play different lofts The p790 7i is 30* and my miura cb 301 is 32*, the i210s I reviewed here was 31.5* and the 718 cb I had was 35*.   had no issue choosing any of those for the same bump and run distance. 

There are other variables to consider like technique used such as shaft lean, toe down with shaft more straight up than standard setup, ball location.

When I see someone talk about their club used i just think of what they are generally trying to achieve. Short iron 9-7 as an example. They need to fly the ball higher too get on the green and there won’t be a lot of run out. 5-6 going lower flight and lots of green between the ball and the flag. 

Bump and run is a safe shot for many. I’ve had a couple instructors as well as guys I played with when I first started playing say get the ball on the green as quick as possible and let it roll like a putt.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Depends on the situation but anything from a 5 iron down to a lob wedge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

8-iron, or I'll take a 50degree and flatten the face and perform a putting stroke hitting only the top half of the ball.

Driver: TM M1 9.5* Grafalloy BiMatrix Tour Prototype

Woods: TM AeroBurner* Matrix Ozik RUL 60

Hybrids: Ping G Hybrid* Alta70

Irons: Mizuno JPS900* Project x 6.0 LZ  (4-PW)

Wedges: Titlest Vokey SM5 54,58

Putter: SeeMore SB2Black

4 hours ago, Kenny B said:

It makes a big difference to me if someone like @BIG STU says he's using a 7i, maybe 8i.  He says he's using "traditional" lofts.  Since I know about what those lofts are, I can compare my choices with his.  In my case it's 9i, maybe PW.  To use your case it wouldn't make much difference to me if I used my 5i, 6i, or 7i; they are 22-26º loft.  I doubt yours are that strong.  Since I don't know what lofts others have, I can't get a reasonable comparison, and until I posted my clubs' lofts, people would get the wrong impression of what I use for the shot.

Yep you nailed it different courses require different plans of attack

FTR here are my lofts

PW 47*

9 I  44*

8 I 41*

7 I - 37*

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

2 hours ago, smittybambam said:

8-iron, or I'll take a 50degree and flatten the face and perform a putting stroke hitting only the top half of the ball.

Yep I do the same thing with a 56* wedge. I can also putt that way too. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I will never forget the tip taught to me by an old guy named Doc on how to hit this shot. He told me to get an 8 iron ,"Grab onto it like you wanted a lady to grab onto you" and use a putting stroke. 8 iron is the play for any bump I hit, feel like I can really control it.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

For a true bump and run a 7 iron. For this scenario it’s a 54* all day for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I often putt from off the green and actually saw an Instagram post from Golf magazine about Jack Nicklaus' putting from off the green. I probably would putt from as far back as 5-10 yards if it was on a tight lie and no rough in between. I use a hybrid from around this distance if the grass is a bit longer or out of the rough and mimic my putting stroke. From further out I will do a low bump and run pitch with my 7 iron or AW (50*).

) from 

Visit my blog! Cruskatergolf.com for reviews, pictures, travel tips, and more!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9*,  Project X Hrzdus Black 65

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Fairway 15* 

Callaway Rogue Hybrid 19*

TaylorMade Gapr Lo 4 Iron 

Callaway Rogue Irons (5-AW) Dynamic Gold X100

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Wedges 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus / Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 Cobalt Blue

On 4/20/2020 at 3:13 PM, Berg Ryman said:

I will never forget the tip taught to me by an old guy named Doc on how to hit this shot. He told me to get an 8 iron ,"Grab onto it like you wanted a lady to grab onto you" and use a putting stroke. 8 iron is the play for any bump I hit, feel like I can really control it.

Same.  I dont understand why everyone nowdays wants to pull out their lob wedge and hit a high, spinny chip that goes nowhere.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

47 minutes ago, Cruskater said:

I often putt from off the green and actually saw an Instagram post from Golf magazine about Jack Nicklaus' putting from off the green. I probably would putt from as far back as 5-10 yards if it was on a tight lie and no rough in between. I use a hybrid from around this distance if the grass is a bit longer or out of the rough and mimic my putting stroke. From further out I will do a low bump and run pitch with my 7 iron or AW (50*).

) from 

Same here.  If I am on the fringe of if it is a tight fairway, I will always pull out my putter because your safest chip is a putt.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Depending on where the flag is located, it will be a 7i if the flag is on the opposite of the green, a 9i if it's somewhere in the middle and a LW if it's tight around the fringe where I'm standing.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

PW. Stand it straight up, toe down, and off the big toe of the rear foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX