TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Shaft for High Launch?

Currently gaming an M5 w/handcrafted 65gm 6.0 evenflow blue(LOOOOVE THE SMOOTH PROFILE). Swingspeed is 90-95mph so spin numbers are adequate but ball flight at times favors a piercing trajectory) Carry avgs around 240. I have a fujikura vista pro shaft and considering switching due to the high launch characteristics. Previously had this shaft in my TS3 and the dispersion was all over the map. Any suggestions??

"The greatest pleasure is obtained in improving" - Ben Hogan

If you love the Evenflow blue you should try the red. Same feel with a higher launch. It’s not as widely known but it’s out there and it’ll get you that higher trajectory with a familiar feel.

http://golfdealsandsteals.com/project-x-hand-crafted-evenflow-red-max-carry-driver-wood-shaft-choose-flex/

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

A piercing flight is what you kind of want. You want the ball to get to the apex and ride it for a while. Spin and launch go together and you could affect one or the other with the wrong setup.

what is your spin and launch? 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, bens197 said:

If you love the Evenflow blue you should try the red. Same feel with a higher launch. It’s not as widely known but it’s out there and it’ll get you that higher trajectory with a familiar feel.

http://golfdealsandsteals.com/project-x-hand-crafted-evenflow-red-max-carry-driver-wood-shaft-choose-flex/

I've got one of these, it's a good shaft, I like it even better than the Blue.

But I just got a good deal on a Oban Kiyoshi Gold, so the Evenflow Red may go into the shaft bag in the garage.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

10 hours ago, ForTheLoveofTheGame said:

Currently gaming an M5 w/handcrafted 65gm 6.0 evenflow blue(LOOOOVE THE SMOOTH PROFILE). Swingspeed is 90-95mph so spin numbers are adequate but ball flight at times favors a piercing trajectory) Carry avgs around 240. I have a fujikura vista pro shaft and considering switching due to the high launch characteristics. Previously had this shaft in my TS3 and the dispersion was all over the map. Any suggestions??

Yes - get fitted.

This is a classic case of self-appraisal for the purpose of buying and then asking for advice after the fact. Why not do the asking first and then purchase?

Anyway, without your exact numbers I would say that your swing speed is below what is required to get the most out of the Evenflow at 6.0 flex - you may want to look at something more flexible. Get a fitting pro to get the weight and shaft profile to match your swing dynamics and match it to your spin/loft and you will have the kind of trajectory your swing can produce. It's that simple.

Always keep in mind, that there is no guarantee, that the softer tip profile/softer middle profile will generate a higher launch for you. You might just not hit it consistently, since it doesn't fit your swing and feel preferences.

While in theory, shafts like Evenflow Red, HZRDUS Red, ACCRA 100 series, potentially raise your ballflight, if you can time them right. But reality is, that this isn't true for a couple of players. You might eventually see the oposite for you, cause you deliver the club in a certain way, that causes the high launch shaft to launch lower - I`ve seen that a couple of times in my years fitting golfclubs.

If you need to consistently higher your ballflight - use more loft. If you run into spin issues with a higher lofted club - check impact location first and potentially check out a different CoG head design.

Shafts can only do so much - if the head paramteres aren't good for you, no shaft can fix that.

Cheers,

Michael

The other thing not discussed is to potentially reduce the shaft weight. I have found that going to a lighter weight shaft you might get more height.

Of course your timing has to be good and the shaft profile still has to be right, but you might get higher launch.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another thing to consider is your angle of attack.  If you're attack angle is descending to neutral, at your swing speed, you won't get the ball much higher no matter what shaft you use.  You can always try a higher lofted head, but then you'll likely introduce more spin to the equation.  I saw it mentioned already, but just because a shaft says it's a higher launch, higher spin, doesn't mean that's the case for you.  Total weight, EI, balance point, etc... can all affect how you deliver the club.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

15 hours ago, jaskanski said:

Yes - get fitted.

This is a classic case of self-appraisal for the purpose of buying and then asking for advice after the fact. Why not do the asking first and then purchase?

Anyway, without your exact numbers I would say that your swing speed is below what is required to get the most out of the Evenflow at 6.0 flex - you may want to look at something more flexible. Get a fitting pro to get the weight and shaft profile to match your swing dynamics and match it to your spin/loft and you will have the kind of trajectory your swing can produce. It's that simple.

I would LOVE to get properly fit. Only issue is the only place in my town is Edwinn Watts...dont exactly trust them. Club Champion is 3hrs away from me so i hope to visit them sometime soon

"The greatest pleasure is obtained in improving" - Ben Hogan

5 minutes ago, ForTheLoveofTheGame said:

I would LOVE to get properly fit. Only issue is the only place in my town is Edwinn Watts...dont exactly trust them. Club Champion is 3hrs away from me so i hope to visit them sometime soon

If you don't want to get fitted, you can go with my approach (not saying my approach is good).

Buy a shaft that theoretically fits the profile you are looking for, but make sure you get a good deal on Ebay or a similar site. If it doesn't work out for you, resell it and get most, if not all your money back. Or you can buy a shaft from my bag of shafts in the garage, I have a collection of "high" launching shafts, haha.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Get on this site, order a couple shafts for demo, and figure it out on the course and the range. No need to guess anymore!

https://www.shaftshack.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

a lot of good points about fitting here already.  But if you like the feel of that shaft and just need slightly more launch can you bump to the next higher loft setting?  you could offset this by putting one of the weights in the toe to help slow rotation (if you found you were adding too much draw bias).  Launch and Spin should bump up a bit in theory.

If you haven't tried adjusting the weight and hosel settings I would try that first.

Best advice has been go see your fitter though... its the quickest and best way to get sorted out! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 8:33 AM, PMookie said:

Get on this site, order a couple shafts for demo, and figure it out on the course and the range. No need to guess anymore!

https://www.shaftshack.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for sharing the link to Shaft Shack.  I never knew a company like this existed.  I will give them a shot as soon as the driving ranges open again in Illinois for testing a new driver shaft.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8*-  VA Slay 55 R

Hybrid: 2- Callaway Paradigm Super Hybrid  - VA Slay 85 R

Hybrid: 4- Callaway Paradigm Smoke AI  - VA Slay 85 R

Irons: Srixon ZX5 MII (4-PW) -  UST Mamiya Dart V 90 F3

Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* Volkey SM6 - Stock Shaft

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 - Stock Shaft

Chasing a shaft to increase launch could be futile, especially if you are simply seeking advice on the internet and not at a fitting.

Shafts dont directly impact launch.  They COULD impact how you deliver the club, which in turn increases launch, but how any given person will respond to a shaft change is not very predictable.

You wan't more launch? Loft up, or get a head that has the weight a bit more back and it will launch higher.  Chasing launch increases simply by changing shaft, without doing so under the watchful eye of a good fitter, would be an expensive experiment.

7 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Chasing a shaft to increase launch could be futile, especially if you are simply seeking advice on the internet and not at a fitting.

Shafts dont directly impact launch.  They COULD impact how you deliver the club, which in turn increases launch, but how any given person will respond to a shaft change is not very predictable.

You wan't more launch? Loft up, or get a head that has the weight a bit more back and it will launch higher.  Chasing launch increases simply by changing shaft, without doing so under the watchful eye of a good fitter, would be an expensive experiment.

Not to mention it could be swing related and not the shaft at all

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not to mention it could be swing related and not the shaft at all

Exactly.  I still remember back in 2013 I chased equipment to solve my low launch issues.  You know what I learned years later when I opened my eyes to reality?  No amount of equipment was going to increase my launch and lower my spin with a - 5 degree angle of attack with the Driver

TXG has great information on this. Fit your clubhead first as things like loft, CG, lie angle, etc affect the launch and spin conditions. Once you find a clubhead that gives you the 95% solution, you try to optimize your delivery of the clubhead with a shaft that feels good for your swing. 

IF you have a swing trait enhanced by a shaft that isn't suited for your game (causing you to smother the ball with your hands, excessive shaft lean, wrist snap though the ball, etc) you could POSSIBLY find the right shaft to optimize your delivery. Probably not going to find it without a lot of trial and error, or a good fitter. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

4 minutes ago, zrumble said:

TXG has great information on this. Fit your clubhead first as things like loft, CG, lie angle, etc affect the launch and spin conditions. Once you find a clubhead that gives you the 95% solution, you try to optimize your delivery of the clubhead with a shaft that feels good for your swing. 

IF you have a swing trait enhanced by a shaft that isn't suited for your game (causing you to smother the ball with your hands, excessive shaft lean, wrist snap though the ball, etc) you could POSSIBLY find the right shaft to optimize your delivery. Probably not going to find it without a lot of trial and error, or a good fitter. 

Great post

22 minutes ago, zrumble said:

Every fitter I’ve been to has taken this approach. I remember my Titleist Thursday fitting for the 917. He asked what I was looking for over my current driver and I told him I wanted to put a titleist driver back in the bag to have a full titleist bag at the time.

we started with the d2 head and a few based on my swing and numbers. We then moved onto the d3 to optimize the spin and we used the same shafts plus one additional one. We had 3 shafts narrowed down then he had me take a few swings with each again made a hosel adjustment and do the same. He asked my opinion on the shafts and told him I felt like 2 of them I had to work harder with and he said agree and that my tempo and swing with the shaft we ended up going with had me swing with my best tempo. Numbers between the 3 shafts were relatively the same and it really boiled down to what was the least effort to swing with.

The approach to take when looking for the right shaft depends on your goal. If you are looking for the best shaft for you while being cost efficient, then go for the fitting. 

If you are like me, part of the fun is researching, trying different things out over time, getting good deals on ebay, etc., then go ahead and buy and try out some different shafts. The downside is this approach will cost more. I am a forever tinkerer, but that is part of what I enjoy about the game.

Updated 07/15/2022

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 4/19/2020 at 2:26 PM, ForTheLoveofTheGame said:

Sounds more like a strike issue than the shaft. 

Get impact in the center or 1/8"above center to get the flight up. 

Also try adjusting your tee height and position in your stance to eliminate low strikes.

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 4/19/2020 at 4:41 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

A piercing flight is what you kind of want. You want the ball to get to the apex and ride it for a while. Spin and launch go together and you could affect one or the other with the wrong setup.

what is your spin and launch? 

Piercing usually means low. Low usually means low on the head, or hitting down on it, or forward shaft lean. 

Best results are center to 1/8"above center to create highest ball speeds with best spin numbers. This will launch well. If the player hits up on the ball as well then it could fly high and long. 

9 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Piercing usually means low. Low usually means low on the head, or hitting down on it, or forward shaft lean. 

Best results are center to 1/8"above center to create highest ball speeds with best spin numbers. This will launch well. If the player hits up on the ball as well then it could fly high and long. 

Piercing means different things to different people. Low on a driver head is going to add spin and that’s going to balloon especially off hitting down and shafts lean. With irons it’s going to produce a different type of shot.

With any club having the ball getting to the apex and riding that apex for as long as possible is a piercing flight imo 

• Guests
Guest Delete
10 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Piercing means different things to different people. Low on a driver head is going to add spin and that’s going to balloon especially off hitting down and shafts lean. With irons it’s going to produce a different type of shot.

With any club having the ball getting to the apex and riding that apex for as long as possible is a piercing flight imo 

I have a friend who hits his drives 305-320 that never get above 30ft. I would call that piercing. 

I agree that piercing is not a scientific term that is open for interpretation. Your definition is the optimal piercing flight. 

My guess was the context of piercing the user posted was in the negative. I could be wrong

9 hours ago, TimoTe said:

I have a friend who hits his drives 305-320 that never get above 30ft. I would call that piercing. 

I agree that piercing is not a scientific term that is open for interpretation. Your definition is the optimal piercing flight. 

My guess was the context of piercing the user posted was in the negative. I could be wrong

Im guessing that is total distance? What’s his carry? 30’ isn’t anywhere near a good ball height. That’s at least 60’ below what many consider optimal peak height. The lowest I’ve seen a pro hit a normal driver is 76’

10 hours ago, TimoTe said:

That's scientifically impossible unless your friend plays on fairways made of concrete 

• Guests
Guest Delete
3 hours ago, jlukes said:

That's scientifically impossible unless your friend plays on fairways made of concrete 

The guy is a beast. I have witnessed it many times. Carries at least 280. And he uses a 10.5* driver

• Guests
Guest Delete
4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Im guessing that is total distance? What’s his carry? 30’ isn’t anywhere near a good ball height. That’s at least 60’ below what many consider optimal peak height. The lowest I’ve seen a pro hit a normal driver is 76’

Carries at least 280 with a 10.5* driver. I agree the numbers are not optimal. He could be hitting 340-360 with optimal launch conditions

1 hour ago, TimoTe said:

Carries at least 280 with a 10.5* driver. I agree the numbers are not optimal. He could be hitting 340-360 with optimal launch conditions

Something in numbers is off. As @jlukes mentioned that total distance isn’t possible with a 30’ peak height. To hit a ball 280 yards 30’ in the air and only get 25-40 yards of roll. If you are saying 340-360 total with optimal launch that is also off based on getting 305-320 now. If you are saying 340-360 carry that’s elite level long drive distances. 

1 hour ago, TimoTe said:

Unless his ball speeds are approaching world records this can't happen at 30' height. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."