TESTERS WANTED! ×

Spiked vs spikeless shoes

I have both spikes(10 pair) and spikeless(4 pair). I used to wear metal spikes but courses outlawed them in the ‘90’s.......they gave me the best grip and support.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have pairs of both, and I prefer spiked. I just feel like the grip is better in all situations. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On dry days, I love to wear my Nike running shoes. They're extremely comfortable. I also don't notice any balance or slipping issues.

:ping-small: G410, 9°, Tensei Orange 70-S
:adams-small: Tight Lies, 16°, Bassara 55-S
:adams-small: Idea Tech Boxer a40S 4 hybrid, Tour AD 65-R
:callaway-small:  X-20 Tour 4I-PW, Project X 5.5
:mizuno-small: MP-T4 50°, True Temper
:cleveland-small: 588 56°, stock
:nike-small: SV 60°, stock
:scotty-small: Newport 2 Notchback, Flat Cat grip
vice.png.4b217c198888a58207ae8084550b589d.pngPro balls

• 6 months later...

Hi all! I'm new here. Guys, how nessesary to wear a golf shoes in the golf course?

And if it important which producer can you recommend? I found these article about shoes and first pair looks good. What do you think?

Thank you!

Edited by GregR20
mistake

Morning is the most optimistic time of the day.

52 minutes ago, GregR20 said:

Hi all! I'm new here. Guys, how nessesary to wear a golf shoes in the golf course?

And if it important which producer can you recommend? I found these article about shoes and first pair looks good. What do you think?

Thank you!

You must be new. MGS excels at reviews and buyers guides. I have the Adidas CodeChaos spikeless golf shoes they recommended and they are fantastic!

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-spiked-shoes-for-2020/

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-spikeless-golf-shoes-for-2020/

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
On 11/9/2020 at 1:16 AM, GregR20 said:

Thank you!

Not required, but beneficial to most. I played with spiked shoes most of my life, but have had multiple foot surgeries that have made a lot of spikes and shoes in general uncomfortable. So, at the recommendation of my father in law, I now play in a pair of Vans and only notice the slight loss in traction on wet days. But i just see that as an extra balance excercise. 

Overall, especially with covid making more people take up golf, the dress code at most courses is relaxing to "respectful." So you can pick up a cheap pair of spikes at a clearance store (I know the store Ross had brand new last gen Nike spikes for $20 a while ago). But don't feel pressured to if you want to play in sneakers your first few games while you dip your toes in the pool. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I’ve always preferred sport shoes with changeable spikes. It seems they always wear out faster than the uppers.

That said, I have two pairs of spike less shoes. I wear them at the indoor range domes in the winter. I tried them on the course twice this years. It was a pair with great ventilation and an a decent sole pattern. They worked well.

I’m interested in the SQAIRZ shoes. I prefer a wide width, and the added stability and potential distance is a curiosity. I tend to stay in the “marked down to $70-$100” shoes, but might take the plunge... I hope I’m chosen as a MGS tester🤞

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

On 11/9/2020 at 3:16 AM, GregR20 said:

Thank you!

Not necessary, but they help greatly with traction.  I do know of people who play in trail running shoes.  

Personally, I wear spikeless because spiked shoes tend to cause blisters for me.  I just deal with slipping every once in a while.  It beats losing the ability to walk for a day or so, but I do wish I could wear spiked shoes without tearing my feet apart.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Not necessary, but they help greatly with traction.  I do know of people who play in trail running shoes.  

Personally, I wear spikeless because spiked shoes tend to cause blisters for me.  I just deal with slipping every once in a while.  It beats losing the ability to walk for a day or so, but I do wish I could wear spiked shoes without tearing my feet apart.

Thats odd, are they the same brand as your spikeless shoes? 

@Tpoole22 Spiked definitely helps me transmit all my rotational force to the ball better than casual tennis shoes.

I am talking about soft spikes and not metal spikes that I think @cnosil might have mentioned with the cement clicking sound. I think metal spikes mess up the greens unnecessarily where soft spikes don't near as much. 

I have to replace the soft spikes after quite a few rounds. By the second time the soft spikes wear out, I have to replace my shoes entirely because I am fighting plantar fasciitis. 

So, due to my plantar fasciitis, caused by me wearing broken down golf shoes, I have actually been playing golf in casual tennis 👟 shoes. There is a difference which is amplified in wet conditions. 

Spikeless golf shoes are 🚫 NOT casual tennis shoes because they do have more grip/nubs to help with traction. So, if you're keeping score, there are 5 levels of traction: 1-dress shoes=no traction, 2-casual tennis shoes & cross trainers=little/some traction, 3-spikeless golf shoes=moderate traction, 4-soft spiked golf shoes=good traction, 5-metal spikes=most traction but can damage greens. 

I see mostly golf shoes in the 3-4 categories on the course with a few tennis shoes in the mix. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I have 7 pairs and only 1 is spiked now. I don't notice any difference. I'm not saying I won't buy spiked shoes in the future.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I almost always play in the morning with a lot of dew on the ground and have never noticed a lack of traction with spikeless shoes.  It probably depends on how hard the player swings the club and how well he maintains his balance.  Sam Snead used to win bets in practice rounds playing bare footed. The only time I have taken a fall on a golf course was when wearing shoes with metal spikes.  I was walking down a slope in wet conditions and my feet started sliding like I was on ice.  One advantage I've noticed with spikeless shoes is they are much easier to clean.  Dirt and grass clippings seem to stick to soft spikes and not to the nubs of spikeless shoes.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I have FJ DNA Helix Spiked and FJ SL Pro Spikeless Shoes. Our course get really wet and muddy in winter and I have always worn spiked shoes as when I wind up tight I find that I need the extra grip otherwise my feet start to slide around on the downswing. The DNA's are comfy when the ground is wet they are not so great when the ground is rock hard. What surprised me was that the SL Pro's provided as good or even better grip in the wet and are so comfy in all conditions. I have a set of Callaway Spikeless that I wear as casuals and they do not offer any where near the same level of grip as the SL Pro's. They feel like they stick to the ground.

One of my playing partners also bought a set and he is also amazed at the level of grip.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

14 hours ago, Tpoole22 said:

Thats odd, are they the same brand as your spikeless shoes? 

I've tried virtually every brand of spiked shoes.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think it boils down to comfort vs performance although both styles are getting closer to each other (spikless getting more traction and spiked getting more comfort).  Personally it feels like I am swinging harder with spiked shoes.  Perhaps subconsciously I think/know there is less traction so my body may not use my legs and ground forces as much with spikeless.  I have the adidas 360 xt and they are awesome.  There is a tiny break in period but they feel super comfy and I feel planted.  I heard footjoy did a case study that showed golfers with spiked shoes had a little more swing speed but I haven't found it so not sure about it.

Tony Finau wears spikeless shoes, so I don't think swing speed is a deciding factor.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I need spikes that Grip; so I and Grip it and Rip It!

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

• 1 month later...

Spiked or spikeless?

Recently been using spikeless (g/fore’s, adidas, fj) with almost 99% of my 1st tee rounds walking. It’s flexibility and softer cushion makes it more comfortable as you pile on the miles. However, I miss the stability, firm grip, slightly longer distance, and solid base of the “spiked” rounds with the adidas 360’s.

I suggest experimenting with bringing both types of golf shoes and splitting the front and back swapping shoes. You and only you can determine what will best fit your needs. Gotta test drive those shoes to get the right feedback. Bring a shoehorn and an extra new set of socks. Have a great round and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have always been a spiked guy. From the time I was 10 yrs old and got my first pair of clickety clack metal spikes I have always liked the sound when walking on concrete. Now, at 70, I wear soft spikes for traction and spikeless when there is no dew on the ground. I no longer get the clickety clack sound but enjoy wearing new spikes. Just replaced the soft spikes in a pair of FJ Dryjoys Tour yesterday and will enjoy wearing them today. This is my first time playing 8n the Saturday game since the middle of November and I want to be at my best.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I used to be adamant about using soft spokes and then I got a pair of Superlites xp. I'll gladly give up a couple of mph for the comfort of these shoes. So far I haven't had a grip issue but on the other hand I haven't had them on wet steep terrain yet. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 1/2/2021 at 6:38 AM, fozcycle said:

I have always been a spiked guy. From the time I was 10 yrs old and got my first pair of clickety clack metal spikes I have always liked the sound when walking on concrete.

Metal spikes on concrete is the golfiest sound there is.  I really miss that sound, but I don't miss how walking in wet FJ Classics back in the day.  Those things weighed a ton.

I played in my Adipower 4orged S in the mud and the muck yesterday, and the traction was very good.  I'll probably pick up a pair of Codechaos this year.  Adidas may have cracked the code on spikeless shoes.

Edited by HardcoreLooper
Grammar

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Metal spikes on concrete is the golfiest sound there is.  I really miss that sound, but I don't miss how my FJ Classics used to walking in wet FJ Classics back in the day.  Those things weighed a ton.

I played in my Adipower 4orged S in the mud and the muck yesterday, and the traction was very good.  I'll probably pick up a pair of Codechaos this year.  Adidas may have cracked the code on spikeless shoes.

I absolutely love my CodeChaos shoes, I've been wearing them since the beginning of the year. I'm buying another pair in another color OR I may try the Adidas TOUR360 XT-SL Spikeless Textile Golf Shoes instead. Wish I knew someone who had tried both, but the latter is pretty new I believe.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
44 minutes ago, Middler said:

I absolutely love my CodeChaos shoes, I've been wearing them since the beginning of the year. I'm buying another pair in another color OR I may try the Adidas TOUR360 XT-SL Spikeless Textile Golf Shoes instead. Wish I knew someone who had tried both, but the latter is pretty new I believe.

That's awesome to hear.  

How well do the Textiles clean up after getting muddy?  My usual course is either muddy, really muddy, or completely submerged.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

That's awesome to hear.  

How well do the Textiles clean up after getting muddy?  My usual course is either muddy, really muddy, or completely submerged.

I don’t have Textiles, just considering. Read a few reviews since my earlier post and quite a few buyers said they’re not waterproof, get soaked easily. OTOH the CodeChaos keep your feet dry IME and according to online reviews. So I’ll probably buy CodeChaos in another color instead of Textiles.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
On 1/3/2021 at 10:37 AM, HardcoreLooper said:

Metal spikes on concrete is the golfiest sound there is.  I really miss that sound, but I don't miss how my FJ Classics used to walking in wet FJ Classics back in the day.  Those things weighed a ton.

I really miss metal spikes. Growing up in the northwest, it was necessity. I tried to find some Champ Stingers a while back just to give them a try and impossible doesn't even scratch the surface. I don't know the right people.

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

On 1/3/2021 at 7:17 PM, Middler said:

I don’t have Textiles, just considering. Read a few reviews since my earlier post and quite a few buyers said they’re not waterproof, get soaked easily. OTOH the CodeChaos keep your feet dry IME and according to online reviews. So I’ll probably buy CodeChaos in another color instead of Textiles.

Yeah, I wish we had enough dry days on my course that I could justify dropping $180 on shoes that you can't wear when it's wet, but that's just not a good investment for me.  CodeChaos it is!

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Spiked only for me.  I've been testing the Sqairz shoes and they are very comfortable (and I have difficulty finding comfortable shoes) and they are extremely stable.  They are somewhat heavier than spikeless but it doesn't bother me in the least.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Just happened to be in this thread and looking to replace my spikes (UA HOVR Goretex) because I had issues with the spikes I ordered on amazon and wanted to double verify I got the right ones and was pretty cool to see this:

image.png.fd1b154cc0208f8a7c41e8990ee0365a.pngNot sure how many companies toss that in there descriptions (I am sure majority do) but was cool to see online.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!