TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf fitness during this strange time in history...

Hey Ya'll, Thought Id throw this thread out there for ya. What are ya'll doing to stay in shape during this lock-down??? Or have you done anything at all? Maybe its made you realize you needed to something more! For me it was a big change. Going 4-6 days a week doing Powerlifting programing spending 2-3 hours a session. All Strength lifting to include Bench, Squat, Deadlifting and overhead pressing. Some has help with golf while others hurt my swing. So recently I switched to Golf-Wods. Basically CrossFit designed for golfers. Its nice cause I can workout at home. I'm not in the gym for hours on end and most important I still feel good about myself at the end of the day. Allot of this was also health driven. I Just turned 40 and I weigh 240. not a good number, well a good number for powerlifting cause I'm at my strongest at this weight. 350 bench, 480 squat, and 600 deadlift. all great for the gym, but not so much for golf. I just needed to get healthier and this a good change for me, as well as a great way to workout while dealing with gym shut downs and social distancing. So again! what are you doing to stay in shape?????

Sorry for the rant...

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

Well, I actually started this several years ago to help another issue I was having, but I do 7-8 minutes of planks. I used to do just straight planks, but read that side planks really help your golf swing so now I do 4 min straight planks, side planks for a little over a minute each (trying to build up to 2 mins on each side), then finish off the time in a starting push-up position plank. It took a long time to build up to several minutes (I couldn't even do 30 seconds when I first started), but it's paid off tremendously.  I've since added some arm & triceps curls (not a lot, just to keep the elbow protected), about 20 kettle bell squats, and some calf isometrics. The planks and the calf exercises are isometrics so no equipment is needed; just tenacity. All together I only spend about a half hour and do them every 2 to 3 days. Start slowly and don't quit doing them. I've absolutely helped my swing speed and improved my waistline.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X w/ LINQ M40X 6F3 Shaft, or Motore X F35R, or Newton 3-Dot

:srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft

:srixon-small: ZX MK II 23 deg Hybrid Iron

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts

:titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter w/Stroke Lab shaft or :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice

I teach boxing and brazilian Jiu-jitsu so I'm in the gym a lot, i really can't promote kettlebell workouts enough. They're fantastic for core work, cardio, strength, etc.

Keith Webbers Extreme Kettlebell is a good program. So is Pavels simple and sinister.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

I have been doing a program that a local golf fitness instructor put together for me, and then I am doing the Superspeed modified protocol with the middle stick only. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Lots of stretching, pilates, etc. along with daily swings with my Orange Whip.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I am using Kettlebells, Deadlifting and following along some TPI YouTube videos.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

Bodyweight, bands some weights using the home program that is done by the same group that does my normal training. once my barbell and stand get here I’ll be back to training the big 3.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Bodyweight, bands some weights using the home program that is done by the same group that does my normal training. once my barbell and stand get here I’ll be back to training the big 3.

try throwing in some explosive work, deadlifts too. anything that gets the hips involved

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

30 minutes ago, Zen Snake said:

try throwing in some explosive work, deadlifts too. anything that gets the hips involved

I’m good my programming is done by world class competitors. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’m good my programming is done by world class competitors. 

world class what though??? just a question.

2 hours ago, Zen Snake said:

world class what though??? just a question.

My programming is done by the coaches at Hybrid Performance Method which is owned by Stefi Cohen and her fiancée/husband Hayden Bowe. Many of the coaches involved in the programming are elite powerlifters and bodybuilders. 

I also have a program from a local strongman coach that is a national competitor and has national champions he trains as well as works with Brian Shaw’s coach.

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

My programming is done by the coaches at Hybrid Performance Method which is owned by Stefi Cohen and her fiancée/husband Hayden Bowe. Many of the coaches involved in the programming are elite powerlifters and bodybuilders. 

I also have a program from a local strongman coach that is a national competitor and has national champions he trains as well as works with Brian Shaw’s coach.

Funny to find another strongman competitor on here, small world. yeah I know of the HPM crew. LOL

Due to the weather I bought a bow flex stair climber and put in 60-90 minutes a night on it and then do a small circuit training with free weight.
Now that It’s basically spring here in northern Alberta , snow melting and plus 16C (approx 61F), I just bought a cheap mountain bike and planning on doing some distance runs now that the sidewalks are clear and clean.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I've gained about 4 pounds in the last 8 weeks, a small amount of muscle, the rest not. Going to get back on track from an eating perspective.

From a fitness perspective, besides my normal workouts, giving myself a goal of being able to do 10 legit pull-ups in a row. Need to buy a pull-up bar, probably can only do a few pull-ups right now.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

a TRX could become ur best friend

On 4/20/2020 at 11:49 AM, Zen Snake said:

Hey Ya'll, Thought Id throw this thread out there for ya. What are ya'll doing to stay in shape during this lock-down??? Or have you done anything at all? Maybe its made you realize you needed to something more! For me it was a big change. Going 4-6 days a week doing Powerlifting programing spending 2-3 hours a session. All Strength lifting to include Bench, Squat, Deadlifting and overhead pressing. Some has help with golf while others hurt my swing. So recently I switched to Golf-Wods. Basically CrossFit designed for golfers. Its nice cause I can workout at home. I'm not in the gym for hours on end and most important I still feel good about myself at the end of the day. Allot of this was also health driven. I Just turned 40 and I weigh 240. not a good number, well a good number for powerlifting cause I'm at my strongest at this weight. 350 bench, 480 squat, and 600 deadlift. all great for the gym, but not so much for golf. I just needed to get healthier and this a good change for me, as well as a great way to workout while dealing with gym shut downs and social distancing. So again! what are you doing to stay in shape?????

Sorry for the rant...

I have been looking into GolfWod is it worth it or should I look into a different sort of training program?

:ping-small: G400 SFT 

:taylormade-small: SLDR 3Wood

:ping-small: G400 4Hybrid

:ping-small: i210 Orange Dot 5-PW KBS Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small:Hi-Toe 52/56/58

:taylormade-small:Mullen 2 Putter

5 minutes ago, eschultz406 said:

I have been looking into GolfWod is it worth it or should I look into a different sort of training program?

start out with the 6 week program and see if you like it, 30 bucks isn't a waste on your health.

1 minute ago, Zen Snake said:

start out with the 6 week program and see if you like it, 30 bucks isn't a waste on your health.

I can do that! $30 isn't bad at all.

:ping-small: G400 SFT 

:taylormade-small: SLDR 3Wood

:ping-small: G400 4Hybrid

:ping-small: i210 Orange Dot 5-PW KBS Tour Stiff

:taylormade-small:Hi-Toe 52/56/58

:taylormade-small:Mullen 2 Putter

Last night I made it through half a bag of potato chips before going to muscle failure. My goal is to be able to finish the bag without switching hands. 🤪

The best thing a Golf can do as far as golf fitness is concerned is to systematically increase flexibility. Often times folks get into weight training and fail to understand the range of motion may decrease of one is not; one doing the exercises correctly and two concurrently working on their flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Just got a pull up bar yesterday. Has probably been a few years since I last attempted a pull-up. Surprised myself and was able to do 4 in a row. That's not that great, but decent starting point for me. 

Updated 07/15/2022

14 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Just got a pull up bar yesterday. Has probably been a few years since I last attempted a pull-up. Surprised myself and was able to do 4 in a row. That's not that great, but decent starting point for me. 

The important part is that you are starting....

Last night I made it through half a bag of potato chips before going to muscle failure. My goal is to be able to finish the bag without switching hands. 🤪
Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Now that's funny!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I just bought one of the programs from Golf Wod. Going to start it next week.

Updated 07/15/2022

I've been doing "Insanity Max: 30" and adding in hikes and some light lifting with the dumbells I have at home.  I do well with regimented routines and schedules.  I've done Beachbody workouts (P90X, Insanity, and now the Max: 30) on and off for over a decade.  Being at home, has enabled me to do a pretty good job of getting my workouts in.  Feel like it's helping with golf as well but it's not golf specific.  I'm 52 years old and would say I'm in pretty decent shape right now.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

1 hour ago, elvis14 said:

I've been doing "Insanity Max: 30" and adding in hikes and some light lifting with the dumbells I have at home.  I do well with regimented routines and schedules.  I've done Beachbody workouts (P90X, Insanity, and now the Max: 30) on and off for over a decade.  Being at home, has enabled me to do a pretty good job of getting my workouts in.  Feel like it's helping with golf as well but it's not golf specific.  I'm 52 years old and would say I'm in pretty decent shape right now.

All of the Insanity series is tough

Updated 07/15/2022

29 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

All of the Insanity series is tough

Yeah I've always said that they are named correctly, insane.  I was just telling my daughter that my abs are actually sore (and tired) from this morning's workout.

With having too much time on my hands, I've come to realize that I am average to slightly below average athletically, even though I am in decent shape. Was doing some tests like vertical jump for example and I was right around the average category. I've never been good at explosive activities like sprints.

Going to see if my workouts improve my performance in these types of tests.

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

With having too much time on my hands, I've come to realize that I am average to slightly below average athletically, even though I am in decent shape. Was doing some tests like vertical jump for example and I was right around the average category. I've never been good at explosive activities like sprints.

Going to see if my workouts improve my performance in these types of tests.

I'm the exact opposite.  I'm all explosive, fast twitch. I've spend my adult years playing volleyball, football, soccer, softball.  I'm in great shape right now but because I'm built for sprinting, I can't run distance at all. Ran a 5k before the shutdown, took me 31 minutes and I was dyin'.  Sometimes I think it hurts my golf game....my tempo gets bad and I get super fast back and forward.  I have such respect for people that run marathons because I don't think I could do it even with lots of training...the genetics just aren't there.

12 minutes ago, elvis14 said:

I'm the exact opposite.  I'm all explosive, fast twitch. I've spend my adult years playing volleyball, football, soccer, softball.  I'm in great shape right now but because I'm built for sprinting, I can't run distance at all. Ran a 5k before the shutdown, took me 31 minutes and I was dyin'.  Sometimes I think it hurts my golf game....my tempo gets bad and I get super fast back and forward.  I have such respect for people that run marathons because I don't think I could do it even with lots of training...the genetics just aren't there.

My problem is that I am not on the slow twitch side either. Could never come close to running a marathon with training. I'm somewhere in the middle.

Updated 07/15/2022

During this time I have been rotating between two different yoga programs one focusing more on flexibility and the other focusing more on strength. I do that everyday alternating between the two. Then for strength I do resistance band workouts because it's something easy to do at home with minimal equipment.