Golf fitness during this strange time in history...

Our Sponsors

14 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Just got a pull up bar yesterday. Has probably been a few years since I last attempted a pull-up. Surprised myself and was able to do 4 in a row. That's not that great, but decent starting point for me. 

The important part is that you are starting....

• Like 1

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Ya'll, Thought Id throw this thread out there for ya. What are ya'll doing to stay in shape during this lock-down??? Or have you done anything at all? Maybe its made you realize you needed to some

Well, I actually started this several years ago to help another issue I was having, but I do 7-8 minutes of planks. I used to do just straight planks, but read that side planks really help your golf s

Due to the weather I bought a bow flex stair climber and put in 60-90 minutes a night on it and then do a small circuit training with free weight. Now that It’s basically spring here in northern Alb

Last night I made it through half a bag of potato chips before going to muscle failure. My goal is to be able to finish the bag without switching hands. 🤪
Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Now that's funny!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I just bought one of the programs from Golf Wod. Going to start it next week.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

I've been doing "Insanity Max: 30" and adding in hikes and some light lifting with the dumbells I have at home.  I do well with regimented routines and schedules.  I've done Beachbody workouts (P90X, Insanity, and now the Max: 30) on and off for over a decade.  Being at home, has enabled me to do a pretty good job of getting my workouts in.  Feel like it's helping with golf as well but it's not golf specific.  I'm 52 years old and would say I'm in pretty decent shape right now.

1 hour ago, elvis14 said:

I've been doing "Insanity Max: 30" and adding in hikes and some light lifting with the dumbells I have at home.  I do well with regimented routines and schedules.  I've done Beachbody workouts (P90X, Insanity, and now the Max: 30) on and off for over a decade.  Being at home, has enabled me to do a pretty good job of getting my workouts in.  Feel like it's helping with golf as well but it's not golf specific.  I'm 52 years old and would say I'm in pretty decent shape right now.

All of the Insanity series is tough

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

29 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

All of the Insanity series is tough

Yeah I've always said that they are named correctly, insane.  I was just telling my daughter that my abs are actually sore (and tired) from this morning's workout.

With having too much time on my hands, I've come to realize that I am average to slightly below average athletically, even though I am in decent shape. Was doing some tests like vertical jump for example and I was right around the average category. I've never been good at explosive activities like sprints.

Going to see if my workouts improve my performance in these types of tests.

Updated 10/6/2020

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

With having too much time on my hands, I've come to realize that I am average to slightly below average athletically, even though I am in decent shape. Was doing some tests like vertical jump for example and I was right around the average category. I've never been good at explosive activities like sprints.

Going to see if my workouts improve my performance in these types of tests.

I'm the exact opposite.  I'm all explosive, fast twitch. I've spend my adult years playing volleyball, football, soccer, softball.  I'm in great shape right now but because I'm built for sprinting, I can't run distance at all. Ran a 5k before the shutdown, took me 31 minutes and I was dyin'.  Sometimes I think it hurts my golf game....my tempo gets bad and I get super fast back and forward.  I have such respect for people that run marathons because I don't think I could do it even with lots of training...the genetics just aren't there.

12 minutes ago, elvis14 said:

I'm the exact opposite.  I'm all explosive, fast twitch. I've spend my adult years playing volleyball, football, soccer, softball.  I'm in great shape right now but because I'm built for sprinting, I can't run distance at all. Ran a 5k before the shutdown, took me 31 minutes and I was dyin'.  Sometimes I think it hurts my golf game....my tempo gets bad and I get super fast back and forward.  I have such respect for people that run marathons because I don't think I could do it even with lots of training...the genetics just aren't there.

My problem is that I am not on the slow twitch side either. Could never come close to running a marathon with training. I'm somewhere in the middle.

Updated 10/6/2020

During this time I have been rotating between two different yoga programs one focusing more on flexibility and the other focusing more on strength. I do that everyday alternating between the two. Then for strength I do resistance band workouts because it's something easy to do at home with minimal equipment.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, dlow206 said:

My problem is that I am not on the slow twitch side either. Could never come close to running a marathon with training. I'm somewhere in the middle.

That probably makes you more normal than anything else 🙂  (and that's not a bad thing).

I started doing the insanity workout videos for the past 6 weeks. They have really kicked my butt and increased flexibility. Feeling really good! For the part 17 years I’ve been stuck in the routine of going to the gym and throwing weights around only caring about strength. This change has been a eye opener but I’m now going to check out golf wods 

I just did the first day of one of the beginner Golf WOD programs. Wow, that was hard, and I consider myself to be in decent shape. Not sure how someone who is a "beginner" to fitness routine could finish the workout.

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I just did the first day of one of the beginner Golf WOD programs. Wow, that was hard, and I consider myself to be in decent shape. Not sure how someone who is a "beginner" to fitness routine could finish the workout.

Before the COVID breakout I was training for a powerlifting meet. The goal was 600 deadlift, squat 495 and bench 360. I have/had zero cardio. And These workouts burn me. that kinda the point plus its only 3 days a week. Another nice thing is if its to much you can always drop the weights down or lower your intensity. and I 'va had days were I just have no tank to finish the 3rd WOD. But I can say this. It will help ur game and ur overall health and fitness.

• Like 1

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

Putting the hybrid at home workout stuff to the side for now and going back to supporting a local strongman coach who put out phase 2 of his Coronavirus at home workout. This one has bodyweight or barbell options so throws who have some basic equipment can train with the barbell or if not then follow the boardy weight training.

Hes designed it to be a transition back into gymlife with the hopes we will all be in the gym before the 9 weeks of the program finishes.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm coming off shoulder surgery, so my therapist has me doing lots of planks (especially side planks for golf). My TP also recommended some basic stretch band work to keep up on range of motion. 

Sub70 699Pro: 5&6 Irons

Sub70 639CB: 7-PW

Driver: Taylor Made M2

3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Ball: ProV1

Putter: Groove PH

16 hours ago, Jchris05 said:

I started doing the insanity workout videos for the past 6 weeks. They have really kicked my butt and increased flexibility. Feeling really good! For the part 17 years I’ve been stuck in the routine of going to the gym and throwing weights around only caring about strength. This change has been a eye opener but I’m now going to check out golf wods 

If you've completed 6 weeks of Insanity, you're doing great! I've done Insanity a couple of times. Just completed Insanity Max: 30.  I like these because they are only 30 minutes.  Helps me with time management and motivation. 

Just did the first day of the 2nd week of the golf wod beginner program. I think thats the hardest workout i have ever done in my life. 500 jump rope reps is no joke and that is just one of the exercises.

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020

5 workouts into the Golf WOD beginner workout. My take on it is that if you are looking for purely improvement in golf performance, such as higher swing speed, the volume of this program seems to high for maximizing performance. For example, some of the explosive movements are in the workout after running, and with some rounds, you are trying to minimize the amount of time to get through sets and reps.

However, it is awesome for overall fitness, which is important to me as well.

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020

Now have a slight back injury from my golf wod workout this morning, so probably will take the rest of the week off from workouts. These workouts are intense.

Updated 10/6/2020