digitaltexan

Golfing Solo or only with Friends?

Golfing Solo or only with Friends?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer or find it acceptable to play a round by yourself or would you rather only play with golfing buddies?

• I don't mind playing alone or being grouped together with strangers.
    • I only like playing with friends, that way if I were to get a hole-in-one, I get lifetime bragging rights!

Our Sponsors

Posted (edited)

There pretty much isn't a day where I wish I was on a course somewhere, ANYWHERE, playing golf with my buddies. However, I've always been the type of person who prefers to play with friends rather than going out on my own. Unfortunately, all my golf buddies live in other towns and other states. So as a result, I don't get to play as often as I'd like because I simply can not find any playing partners.

Another result of not playing too often is that my game suffers from the lack of practice. I think that's one of the reasons why I like to only play with friends; I don't feel any pressure to play at the same pace as the rest of the foursome. I can be myself and actually enjoy the game. 

There was a time when I had a buddy of mine encourage me to join his golf league. Since my skill level wasn't as great as his, I was put in a different pool of players and never got to play with my buddy. But since I was grouped together with players of my own skill level, I actually enjoyed playing along with strangers. In fact the more I played the better I got, and actually earned a spot to play for the championship of my bracket. But that was some time ago and back when I lived in a different place.

So now where I live, (closer to family) I have one brother-in-law that plays, but we can never schedule a time to play. There are a number of courses to play in my area. I played at my favorite course, last October, and probably had the best round ever. Some four or five months later, I played at probably my least favorite course and had the worst round ever. I know that I just need to simply play much more. And with this COVID-19, being cooped up in the house for so long while witnessing the awesome weather that Spring is rolling in; I'm just about desperate enough to go out solo. However, I'm not too confident and certain what type of round I'm going to have. I just want to play!

So the question is: Am I alone in finding it difficult to go out to play? Is it just a self-made phobia or do others feel the same? 

I guess one could say it's all about pace of play. Since most of us are recreational golfers, and don't play golf for a living, the only golfers that I've met that had no problem going out to any course on their own are those golfers with the lowest of handicaps. 

Edited by digitaltexan
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Custom Big Bertha 2014 10.5°, Mitsubishi Rayon FUBUKI zt 60-R

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 20° (-1° set to 19°), Fujikura Speeder 865 R

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, AW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14

:odyssey-small: 330M Metal X Milled, weighted steel shaft, cut down to 30 inches, GP Tour SNSR grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis or Supersoft

I play 90% of my rounds alone. I guess in one sense you just get used to it. The only time I've had for years is early Sat & Sun morning, and even though I'm 35 and past the 'party all night' stage, guys just don't want to get up on their day off. I'm in a situation where I can't afford to be gone from home for 6 or 7 hours to play mid or late morning every weekend. I play dawn patrol solo and back home by 10ish. If you want to golf you find a way to play.

I would suggest finding a local course where you know you'll be able to play at a certain time of day. For me It's weekend mornings, maybe for you that's 4pm on Thursday, whatever time is good. Introduce yourself to the pro or shop manager or starter. Get to know a few guys and they'll start to know you, know your voice on the phone. They'll be honest and work you in when they can. Then, when you have a buddy or family member you can have a lot of fun and know it's a special round.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I am like Tsmithjr9, I play almost all of my golf alone. For years I was a member of two different clubs and always had games with 7 other guys. The golf was great, but too much drama. It was like playing with a bunch of kids. Always complaining about someone's handicap or didn't like who their partner was, etc. Moved on to the second club and enjoyed it for about 10 years, played with a few groups and had some nice matches.

After leaving that club, I have just played a lot of different clubs, Golfnow (which I hated due to never knowing who you would be paired with). Finally, I just started playing alone, mostly in the late afternoons. I actually love playing alone, I can concentrate better and seem to have more focus. It's kinda a mind set, you just need focus on your game.

Edited by GaDawg
correct spelling
  • Like 3

Hey @digitaltexan I think this would make a great poll. If you want to put one in, I'll feature it in a few days. Just click edit on your first post and use the "Poll" tab to build one. 

• Like 3

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo:

I've never had a problem with going out solo, regardless of the course. There's a few near my office that I would hit on the way home to squeeze in 9. Never had a problem walking by myself, I rather enjoy the peace and quiet to be honest.

• Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

This past winter in CT was very mild. It’s been at least 10 years since I played as much as I did this year. Most of the time, I played alone. Most of these rounds,  I played mostly on days off during the week, very early in the morning. Felt like I had the course to myself some days, thus I could experiment with equipment and hit two to three balls each shot. I also walk, saving money and getting a workout. I have a close friend who makes an effort to join me as often as he can. It is my preference to have him there.

With the recent pandemic, the course has been open and busy. I still try to play early and alone most of the time. I am used to it and make the most of it as I said above. 

I have a golf league starting soon. It will be different with the social distancing that is present now. Don’t know if it will be as enjoyable as other years. 

• Like 2

Hey [mention=1504]digitaltexan[/mention] I think this would make a great poll. If you want to put one in, I'll feature it in a few days. Just click edit on your first post and use the "Poll" tab to build one. 

Will do!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Custom Big Bertha 2014 10.5°, Mitsubishi Rayon FUBUKI zt 60-R

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 20° (-1° set to 19°), Fujikura Speeder 865 R

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, AW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14

:odyssey-small: 330M Metal X Milled, weighted steel shaft, cut down to 30 inches, GP Tour SNSR grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis or Supersoft

I get bored playing alone. I still do it to practice, but I miss the competition. Some times when I play alone I will drop 3 balls and play those against each other. Also, its fun to play for a little money and bragging rights against friends. Or against the dogfight guys. They really arent friends but I am friendly with them.

• Like 2

I’d rather play in a league so I’m always in a three or foursome with different guys every week. I play alone for practice maybe 10% of the time, with friends 10% of the time and 80% in league play.

• Like 1

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

Because I love playing at first light, a lot of my friends don't like getting up that early, I play a lot, about half of my yearly rounds alone, or with my 11 year old son.

• Like 4

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpike and Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

I play solo the overwhelming majority of the time. When I’m at these semi-private courses, I try to join a group of two or three, but always get rebuffed. Even at my local goat ranch, I generally play as a single, trying to get finished within three hours.

I’ll never forget being in San Antonio for work, and I went to the Quarry to play. They don’t mess around there so they put singles with others to keep the course full, and groups stacked. I was placed with three members. They weren’t happy about it. They didn’t want to get stuck with someone slowing them down. I get it. Well, after four hours, we had been laughing it up, having a great time, and they asked me to join them for beers after the round as well. Tom, one of the three, gave me his cell, and I contacted him each time I came back to town so we could all join up together.

I’ve had bad experiences as well, but I enjoy trying to join-up with folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 7

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

90% of the time I prefer playing with others. We have a large group so it's easy to put together  a 4some. More often than not, after playing 18 with the guys, my wife will come home from bridge and want to go out and play 9. I really enjoy the interaction with the others and an added bonus is that we all play fairly fast. 

The 10% of the time, which coincidentally happened Sunday is when something goes wrong and I'm trying to fix it. I was having a good round  Sunday and the last 3 holes were cr*ap - couldn't hit any of my long clubs. Went out to play 9 last night with my wife and now I can add wedges to that list. So as soon as the wind dies down I'll be out by myself trying to fix the issues. 

• Like 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

Both. I love the company of a casual round with my friends on the course. I also love a quiet round to myself.

My favorite memories in life have always been in the company of friends and family. I’ve found lately that a quiet walk to myself is as peaceful as meditation.

• Like 3

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

Does not matter for me would prefer playing with friends but am constantly jumping out solo or with randoms. Either way its golf just get me out there!

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125 VS :titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I used to play alone and get grouped up with folks at a small 9 hole course where they didn't even take tee-times.  It was a fun way to meet some really interesting people.

I plan on having more solo rounds in my future.  I'm looking to join a club but will only do that if I can manage to get myself there one or twice during the week for a morning 6 or 9 holes before heading to work.

• Like 1

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

It doesnt really matter to me.  I can play alone, I can get grouped with strangers or I can golf with friends.  Theres a part of me that enjoys the meditative nature of early morning or evening rounds alone and sometimes its nice to play with others.  Its all great, really.

• Like 1

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Wilson Augusta

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I play alone probably 75% of the time, and I love it. Around here, the golf courses (usually) aren’t very busy, and I can get around in under 3 hours. And, since the courses are so empty, it is a quiet peaceful environment. For me, there is nothing more therapeutic than spending hours outside alone. As @ZenGolfer said, it can be a meditative experience, and a calming escape from daily life. 

On the days courses are busier, since I can’t play a quick round, I love being paired up with people. Meeting new, interesting people is always fun.

Basically, in case you can’t tell, I like golf. 🙂

• Like 3

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I usually do the driving range and practice areas by myself or with my daughter.

When playing a round I usually play with a group of friends and/or family. I play a weekly foursome group ( sometime five-some) usually the same guys. 

• Like 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!  Follow me on Twitter and Instagram and Facebook #TeamCobraONE

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 10.5* Driver 14gm wieght in back, 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway   All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 21.5* Hybrid Project X CATALYST 80 6.0

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip                                                                                

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL    All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

:titelist-small: Staff Bag  Full set of :titelist-small: Clubs on sidelines for at least 8 weeks of COBRACONNECTCHALLENGE4 #MGSCOBRA2020

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                         

:Arccos:                                                                                                                                                                      697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I enjoy playing with others, but it's always such a pain in the butt to match schedules or weather that I end up just randomly going out during the week and playing. Many times, I'll use GolfNow for a hot deal and get paired up with another group.  

At times, the serenity of playing alone around is really nice to feel like you have the course to yourself as well.  Before all of this, my plan was to play more rounds around 7;30pm to have the course to myself and not feel like I am missing out on family time.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

If I'm traveling, I would 10/10 prefer being paired up with strangers than play alone. It's great to chat with locals who play these courses all the time and learn about the course wherever possible.

At home, I can totally go either way. The 6 degrees of separation are strong around here so there's a good chance I have a connection of some sort with any "stranger" I could get paired with.

• Like 2

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+
.......tracked by :Arccos:

:ping-small: G410 Plus: Tensei Orange
:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 FW: Tensei Blue

:cobra-small: King F7 3/4 Hy: Fujikura Pro
:ping-small: i500 5-GW: Modus3 105
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60: KBS Tour 90
:MLA: Tour Classic Black w/ :P2-grips-logo: