TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golfing Solo or only with Friends?

Golfing Solo or only with Friends?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer or find it acceptable to play a round by yourself or would you rather only play with golfing buddies?

• I don't mind playing alone or being grouped together with strangers.
    • I only like playing with friends, that way if I were to get a hole-in-one, I get lifetime bragging rights!

I love playing with friends, but it's not often they can get out at the same time as me so I started going out on my own a lot. I'd say about 90% of the time I get paired up with randoms, but every now and then I end up solo and I must say I've come to absolutely love it! It's really nice to just be out on a course, surrounded by nature, all alone, and not have to make conversation with anyone or think about people watching your shots, etc. It lets me get in a much more zen like flow state and I've honestly played the best rounds of my life on my own. I also like that if I'm not interested in playing for a score that day, I can treat it like a practice round and use the course as a giant practice facility. Want to hit multiple balls off the tee? Go for it. Want to hit different approach shots into the green as you're walking up? Go for it. Obviously only if you're not slowing anyone down, but being able to practice on an actual course is such a huge luxury since 99% of my practice ends up being on a range or practice greens. I wish I got more opportunities to play solo. 

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero

Irons: Taylormade P770 4i - AW

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 at 55 and 60 degrees

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3Hy

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3W

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

I love playing with friends, but it's not often they can get out at the same time as me so I started going out on my own a lot. I'd say about 90% of the time I get paired up with randoms, but every now and then I end up solo and I must say I've come to absolutely love it! It's really nice to just be out on a course, surrounded by nature, all alone, and not have to make conversation with anyone or think about people watching your shots, etc. It lets me get in a much more zen like flow state and I've honestly played the best rounds of my life on my own. I also like that if I'm not interested in playing for a score that day, I can treat it like a practice round and use the course as a giant practice facility. Want to hit multiple balls off the tee? Go for it. Want to hit different approach shots into the green as you're walking up? Go for it. Obviously only if you're not slowing anyone down, but being able to practice on an actual course is such a huge luxury since 99% of my practice ends up being on a range or practice greens. I wish I got more opportunities to play solo. 

Yeah it always feels a little awkward to be like hey Is want to take a quick drop here and hit this approach when you get paired up with some people. I feel much better about doing some practice shots when It’s just me or just me and one of my friends who would also play some practice shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I prefer solo now as I like to play ready golf first thing in the morning (Mondays) when I am first off the tee. I like to beat the heat, humidity crows and slow play. At times I will be partnered up with others and usually it is ok, if they like to play more than talk and play ready golf.

I used to always play with a 4 some after work and it was fun for a few years but the focus was on being with friends and no on golfing, different but fun.

I used to go with my next door neighbor after work and in day on Weekends but he likes to play when it is really hot and I do not, not built that way I can take the cold not the heat he is the opposite.

Of course work golf outings and company golf days are 4 somes and they are fun.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

I was worried about playing alone for some reason and after doing it once I found I enjoyed it. It's nice because it was so quiet. Also, time and setting permitting you can take a bit of extra time to get some more practice and take a few extra shots. That why I enjoy golfing by myself every now and then, I get to practice in a more real situation.

That being said, I enjoy playing with others a lot more. I'm fortunate enough to have my brother nearby who also plays, so I'm pretty much playing with him every time, which is super fun. A couple of times we have been paired up with someone else which I really like because you get to meet someone new. I'm not a people person, but I think I am a golf people person.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, digitaltexan said:

Hey Tom, I’m totally with you on the Hole-in-one issue when playing alone!

However since I tend to play at muni’s and don’t have a home course, most courses would rather group singles or doubles together with other singles or doubles to make up as many 4somes as possible...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ok I'm spoiled. I belong to a private club. Sunday mornings I have the course to myself. Around 12:30 / 1:00 people start filtering in. So here's the kicker. My wife is on the club management staff so it comes with free membership. I'm there at least one a week about 40 weeks out of the year.  18 holes in 2 -1/2 hours. A 6 hour round on a muni kills me!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 4/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Ok I'm spoiled. I belong to a private club. Sunday mornings I have the course to myself. Around 12:30 / 1:00 people start filtering in. So here's the kicker. My wife is on the club management staff so it comes with free membership. I'm there at least one a week about 40 weeks out of the year.  18 holes in 2 -1/2 hours. A 6 hour round on a muni kills me!

Wow free membership to a private club... oh boy, that's the life!

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5°

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3-H 18° (+2° set to 20°), Steelfiber fc-75

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14, JAWS MD5 52/10

:odyssey-small: Triple Track DoubleWide, Stroke Lab 32in shaft, SuperStroke WristLock Grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis, Supersoft, Kirkland 3-piece

On 4/23/2020 at 3:35 PM, jnharvey44 said:

I was worried about playing alone for some reason and after doing it once I found I enjoyed it. It's nice because it was so quiet. Also, time and setting permitting you can take a bit of extra time to get some more practice and take a few extra shots. That why I enjoy golfing by myself every now and then, I get to practice in a more real situation.

That being said, I enjoy playing with others a lot more. I'm fortunate enough to have my brother nearby who also plays, so I'm pretty much playing with him every time, which is super fun. A couple of times we have been paired up with someone else which I really like because you get to meet someone new. I'm not a people person, but I think I am a golf people person.

Hey jnharvey44, I don't know why I've got such a apprehension about playing solo. I guess, because I play so sparingly most of my rounds end up just being a practice round, and if I were to be grouped with some guys that play fast and accurate, I would end up upsetting some of them. Like you, I'm not that much of a people person, but I'm definitely a golf people person!

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5°

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3-H 18° (+2° set to 20°), Steelfiber fc-75

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14, JAWS MD5 52/10

:odyssey-small: Triple Track DoubleWide, Stroke Lab 32in shaft, SuperStroke WristLock Grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis, Supersoft, Kirkland 3-piece

20 minutes ago, digitaltexan said:

Wow free membership to a private club... oh boy, that's the life!

It gets better, I'm in Sales. I get to take customers out all the time all over the country. My company also sends me to most of our customers charity golf events. I think I play over 60 rounds a year and maybe pay for 4 rounds. Did I mention I'm spoiled. Sorry guys. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I totally get it. I actually didn't like it at first.

I was once paired with a guy who qualified for the European Tour before he shattered his shoulder. He was incredible, meanwhile I would have to play the round of my life just to break 90. I ended up loving playing with him. He was so good, but very understanding that not everyone is good. He even helped me out after saying, "I noticed something, but I don't want to step on your toes." He was so nice and he was great to talk to. I loved it. I like to think of it as getting to know someone. Everyone I've played with is just happy to golf.

Hey jnharvey44, I don't know why I've got such a apprehension about playing solo. I guess, because I play so sparingly most of my rounds end up just being a practice round, and if I were to be grouped with some guys that play fast and accurate, I would end up upsetting some of them. Like you, I'm not that much of a people person, but I'm definitely a golf people person!
A private club that is dead on sunday mornings? That's crazy. I caddied for years and Sunday was one of the days you could loop 36 holes. The usual Sunday morning mens, then couples play started at 11.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

20 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I do like to play alone quite a bit. I like the solace and the time to reflect on things when it's just me and the golf course.

👍👍

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

I would suggest to the OP @digitaltexannot to discount seeking the help of a local pro.  If you prefer playing at a specific course, reach out to the head professional at that course.  He will likely know his regulars pretty well.  Give him a chance to get to know you and he will introduce you to some others that you will more than likely enjoy spending time with on the golf course.

When my wife and I moved to our current location in 2007, I reached out to the head pro at my current home club.  First, seeking information about becoming a member and second, about the possibility of him helping me meet some current members to get to know the area as well as the golf course.  Within a week, I had played a couple of rounds with the head pro, the assistant pro, and no fewer than a half-dozen members.  Which led to being invited to play with other members and so on and so forth.  Within two months, I felt like I knew every member of the club personally and had probably played a round with almost every one of them.

The head professional at most clubs is far more than just a golf guy!