Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fitting Questions

I have a question about fitting- specifically drivers/ fairway woods.  What are the experiences you all have had with a national chain fitter, say a Club Champion, or TrueSpec?  If you were fit at one of these locations, did you purchase the equipment from the fitter?   Were you able to take the club specs fitted to you away to buy from a third party?

On a slightly different spectrum, has anyone gone to any of these chain fitters to have their equipment optimized?  As in making sure the specs (loft, lie, weight, length) were in line with what your fitting needs were. I guess this is essentially refitting for your equipment.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8*-  VA Slay 55 R

Hybrid: 2- Callaway Paradigm Super Hybrid  - VA Slay 85 R

Hybrid: 4- Callaway Paradigm Smoke AI  - VA Slay 85 R

Irons: Srixon ZX5 MII (4-PW) -  UST Mamiya Dart V 90 F3

Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* Volkey SM6 - Stock Shaft

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 - Stock Shaft

I have done a full bag fitting at club champion. Did not purchase from them. They do provide you a complete spec sheet for the clubs so you can buy or assemble the club.

Haven’t done a gapping session, but I have access to the equipment to do that myself.

You are paying those companies for the information; they will help you accomplish what you want. If you want to do a gapping session, just tell them and they will do that.

The best advice is to go into the fitting with knowledge, ask questions, and communicate your goals and objectives. If you want stock shafts and no exotic shafts tell them.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks, cnosil. I hoped CC or TS would offer up a spec sheet you would be able to take away from the fitting. It's nice to know that these fitters are not pressuring you into a purchase. 
I purchased a set of Arccos grips as a Xmas gift to myself and have been eager to put them in play.  I had the 5i-putter installed but was hesitant to install them on my driver through 4i. I was planning on visiting the local CC to look at my club gapping and see if it was time to make the switch out of my 4i to a 4hy. I also wanted to double-check that the settings on the woods were still up to snuff.
Maybe I have been too patient, but now with this COVID shut down in Chicago, I am toast now with the weather turning nicer!
Thanks again for the information. 

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8*-  VA Slay 55 R

Hybrid: 2- Callaway Paradigm Super Hybrid  - VA Slay 85 R

Hybrid: 4- Callaway Paradigm Smoke AI  - VA Slay 85 R

Irons: Srixon ZX5 MII (4-PW) -  UST Mamiya Dart V 90 F3

Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* Volkey SM6 - Stock Shaft

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 - Stock Shaft

55 minutes ago, tvangel said:

Thanks, cnosil. I hoped CC or TS would offer up a spec sheet you would be able to take away from the fitting. It's nice to know that these fitters are not pressuring you into a purchase. 
I purchased a set of Arccos grips as a Xmas gift to myself and have been eager to put them in play.  I had the 5i-putter installed but was hesitant to install them on my driver through 4i. I was planning on visiting the local CC to look at my club gapping and see if it was time to make the switch out of my 4i to a 4hy. I also wanted to double-check that the settings on the woods were still up to snuff.
Maybe I have been too patient, but now with this COVID shut down in Chicago, I am toast now with the weather turning nicer!
Thanks again for the information. 

They will apply some pressure to purchase,  but just tell them you will think about it or that that is more than you want to spend at this time.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Curious to see who else can provide any feedback about Chicago area fitters. We have 4 CC locations in the area as well as Truespec and Cool clubs. Are there any MGS members here who can recommend an individual at any of the places mentioned? I have never had a real fitting like they offer, but from what I've read on here it can be hit or miss depending on the individual you work with and I'd like to get some feedback on people who have already been "vetted" by some forum members.

Also, are there any other recommended fitters? I read somewhere that Chris at Mistwood CC in Romeoville is also solid, and they charge about 1/2 of the chains for a full bag fitting. Anyone every get fitted there?

Edited by ChitownM2

48 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Curious to see who else can provide any feedback about Chicago area fitters. We have 4 CC locations in the area as well as Truespec and Cool clubs. Are there any MGS members here who can recommend an individual at any of the places mentioned? I have never had a real fitting like they offer, but from what I've read on here it can be hit or miss depending on the individual you work with and I'd like to get some feedback on people who have already been "vetted" by some forum members.

Also, are there any other recommended fitters? I read somewhere that Chris at Mistwood CC in Romeoville is also solid, and they charge about 1/2 of the chains for a full bag fitting. Anyone every get fitted there?

My guy Tim recently left the Deerfield CC location to go down to a Houston location, otherwise I would have recommended him. I've seen a few fittings done there and have never seen anything bad. Your usually going to get someone competent. I think the one thing that can limit a fitting at CC, TrueSpec or similar facility is the golfer not asking questions and being diligent about being involved in the process. Asking questions and wanting to know why is key in my opinion. Being open and honest about your game, seeing, likes, dislikes, and overall game experience is huge too.

I never had my clubs built at the CC locations. I always too my specs, sources my own pieces and had a guy in South Carolina do the work. He's a great builder and FAR cheaper than a CC. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

57 minutes ago, dhartmann34 said:

My guy Tim recently left the Deerfield CC location to go down to a Houston location, otherwise I would have recommended him. I've seen a few fittings done there and have never seen anything bad. Your usually going to get someone competent. I think the one thing that can limit a fitting at CC, TrueSpec or similar facility is the golfer not asking questions and being diligent about being involved in the process. Asking questions and wanting to know why is key in my opinion. Being open and honest about your game, seeing, likes, dislikes, and overall game experience is huge too.

I never had my clubs built at the CC locations. I always too my specs, sources my own pieces and had a guy in South Carolina do the work. He's a great builder and FAR cheaper than a CC. 

Thanks for the advice.  

Assuming one ends up with components from the manufacturer's standard catalog (shafts & grips) is there a reason not to have the manufacturer assemble the clubs? I realize that if you are ordering an exotic shaft or something then that isn't an option then someone else has to do it, but what advantage is there to having someone else build the clubs if you could have them assembled at the factory? I would assume that I could ask wherever I order from to check the clubs and make sure they are what I ordered before I take delivery on the odd chance the manufacturer screws them up or sends the wrong thing.

Edited by ChitownM2

Thanks for the advice.  
Assuming one ends up with components from the manufacturer's standard catalog (shafts & grips) is there a reason not to have the manufacturer assemble the clubs? I realize that if you are ordering an exotic shaft or something then that isn't an option then someone else has to do it, but what advantage is there to having someone else build the clubs if you could have them assembled at the factory? I would assume that I could ask wherever I order from to check the clubs and make sure they are what I ordered before I take delivery on the odd chance the manufacturer screws them up or sends the wrong thing.
Sometimes the manufacturer don't have the available shaft and unfortunately the specs don't always come as they are supposed to be. I like the fact that the builder I use Flo's the shafts as well. Here's a video on that. ( http://bettergolfshot.com/services/shaft-flo-plane-orientation/ )

Overall, if there's nothing special in your specs or a special shaft, there's nothing wrong having them come from the manufacturer. Just make sure to check the specs afterwards to make sure they're correct.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Some people have had success and others haven’t. Some realized they don’t swing the same indoors as outdoors and it affect the results and the performance on the course when they play their fitted clubs.

Imo the fitter is as important as the fitting. I’ve seen people post on different forums about their fitter and how it ruined the experience. 

Unless I had personal experience about the fitter I would be hard pressed to do another indoor fitting. I prefer to see the ball flight. The only indoor fitting I did was at pga superstore and that was to find the shaft that best fit me for the z545 irons I was ordering elsewhere 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1