TESTERS WANTED! ×

What kind of grips?

Mathieu.

I have heard many different things about grips and who should use what kind of grip. I've heard faster swingers should use a firmer grip and I've also heard it's entirely preference. So mygolfspy what is your opinion on this topic? I am really asking cause I'm looking to regrip my set but have no idea what to get!

Stats: 7 handi, 110+ swing speed.

I do like chord grips such as the golf pride tour velvets but I'm open to other options!

Also is how think your grip is all preference as well?

Grips are a totally personal preference IMO. You do need to take the conditions that YOU play in into consideration when picking a grip, but the end result will be that you should pick something that feels good in your hand.

Good Luck.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Although they've been around for a while now, this year was the first time I tried the Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound grips.

Love them.

Where I initially thought them to feel a bit harsh, now I whole-heartedly appreciate the sure feeling I have when I grip my clubs. For the first time ever, every club in my bag has the same grip.

Expensive, but their durability has been excellent. Through 20+ rounds and numerous range sessions, there still good as new.

I will second the thoughts about Golf Pride's New Decade Multicompound grips. I had my new set of AP2s gripped with the black and yellow. The are firm with excellent durability so far (although I have only been playing with them for about 1.5 months so far). I believe that the rubber portion on the bottom of the grip really adds to the feel on wedge shots. I am getting ready to re-grip the rest of my clubs with an identical grip. If it makes any difference I have a very similar swing speed (approx 115 mph with driver)to Mathieu. As an added bonus Golf Pride offers many different color combinations.

Driver: Cleveland Classic Custom 9 degrees with Matrix Black Tie Stiff Shaft

3 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited edition with Diamana Ahina X-stiff shaft

3 hybrid: Adams A12 pro (20 degrees) with RIP X-stiff shaft

4-PW: Titleist AP2 with True Tember Dynamic Gold X-300 shaft

52 degree wedge: Cleveland CG15

56 degree Wedge: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60 degree wedge: Cleveland 588 forged

Putter: Edel custom with Flatso mid grip

I will third that one! I first regripped my 3 wood with the New Decade Multicompound to try it out and absolutely loved it. I've since put them on my wedges and new irons. I'm still working on a full bag fitting, so once I finalize the fairways/hybrids all of my clubs will have them.

Plus different colors for different clubs adds a bit of flare to the bag. I have yellow on my CG14s and red on my Burner 2.0s. :)

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

• SPY VIP

I will third that one! I first regripped my 3 wood with the New Decade Multicompound to try it out and absolutely loved it. I've since put them on my wedges and new irons. I'm still working on a full bag fitting, so once I finalize the fairways/hybrids all of my clubs will have them.

Plus different colors for different clubs adds a bit of flare to the bag. I have yellow on my CG14s and red on my Burner 2.0s. :)

While I will admit that the Decade Multicompounds are growing on me, I'm still very much an Iomic guy. Yes, the cost more (but deals to exist), but they last longer than anything else I've tried (just about anything Winn makes not withstanding, I've found cord grips to wear faster), and for me anyway, they have the perfect blend of firmness and tackiness. As a guy who benefits from having his clubs deflect attention from his golf game, I love the variety of colors available.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I've tried a TON of grips, and used to love cords, but manufacturers sissified them and went to a softer cord and that killed them for me. I like them to feel like sissal in my hands, and now they feel more like cotton balls. So I went searching for something different, and tried everything under the sun. With so few companies actually offering midsize, I've oftentimes found myself building up standard sized grips to midsize. Finally, though, I've settled on one I like that's available in midsize. Lamkin Performance Plus 3gen whites. LOVE them, for now anyway.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Tried the GP MC and didnt care for them, every GP grip Ive tried has hardened to quickly. Went with the Lamkin PP 3gens last year, and now Im back to the Crossline Cords, although I have a set of the NDurs coming in a few weeks, might have to try them out too.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

at my fitting with Titleist this week (review coming as soon as I get the final launch data from them) when it came time to choose grips, we didn't discuss soft or firm, just the size that fit my hands and the color I liked the best)

I'm guessing a ton of it has to do with personal preference.

Archived