Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Wilson Staff Model Balls

Wedgie

I don't know if anyone read today's blog but Wilson announced a new ball and a subscription plan.  Read the blog if you want the details but I ordered a box because I like Wilson.  When reviewing the balls the Wilson site said ships in 3-5 days.  Once I got deep into the order process it told me they would ship in 5 weeks.  Whatever, I'll put them thru the paces and report back. 

In the meantime is anyone else going to give these a shot?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I would be interested in testing them out as well, but I am pretty stocked up on balls. I have 5 dozen Tour B X from last year I got for about $24 a dozen. Then on a spur of the moment decision I picked up 6 dozen Honma G1x balls from golfballs.com for $12.95 a dozen (going through a Honma faze right now)

These at nearly $50 a dozen is tough, even subscribing for 12 months only saves you $10. If these are anything like the FG Tour I am sure they will be good

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

25 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I don't know if anyone read today's blog but Wilson announced a new ball and a subscription plan.  Read the blog if you want the details but I ordered a box because I like Wilson.  When reviewing the balls the Wilson site said ships in 3-5 days.  Once I got deep into the order process it told me they would ship in 5 weeks.  Whatever, I'll put them thru the paces and report back. 

In the meantime is anyone else going to give these a shot?

Have any idea where they are made?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Just now, daviddvm said:

I looked and they did not say on the website or at least I couldn't find it.  I will report back on that as well because at that price point I will buy American made before buying another box. 

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'm currently looking for a new ball for 2020 and beyond. I'm taking a wait and see approach with these but if they test well I could see it. I'm super into the idea of throwing up to 4 digits on a ball with personalization as well, no one would ever steal my ball on the course again!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

At that price, and how much I enjoy the Duo, there's no way I'm trying these out.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

I'm currently looking for a new ball for 2020 and beyond. I'm taking a wait and see approach with these but if they test well I could see it. I'm super into the idea of throwing up to 4 digits on a ball with personalization as well, no one would ever steal my ball on the course again!

I went with 007 because I watched a James Bond movie the other night.  Yeah, I guess that makes me that guy!  I will test it against the ProV1x and Srixon Z Star XV.  The XV still holds the Wedgie SkyTrak house record for ball speed and the V1x holds the spin record.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Just now, russtopherb said:

At that price, and how much I enjoy the Duo, there's no way I'm trying these out.

Oh, you're trying them out!  If you can ever leave Massachusetts I'll send a couple your way.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I went with 007 because I watched a James Bond movie the other night.  Yeah, I guess that makes me that guy!  I will test it against the ProV1x and Srixon Z Star XV.  The XV still holds the Wedgie SkyTrak house record for ball speed and the V1x holds the spin record.

Be interested in your findings, Wedgie. Those are two of the balls I have right now to test so really really intrigued.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

Be interested in your findings, Wedgie. Those are two of the balls I have right now to test so really really intrigued.

I'll test it against the Duo as well to make Russtopherb happy as well.  

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

9 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I'll test it against the Duo as well to make Russtopherb happy as well.  

you're pretty great Wedgie. 

Also, in case anyone else is wondering, yes I'm a child who tested 8008 as the number. Also cool that whatever number you go with can be in any of the 4 ink colors.

SIK Golf Flo-C

I really liked the dozen Wilson Professional balls I won last year with the D7 driver in the SpyStaff Masters challenge. According to my Arccos stats the Wilson ball performed similar to the Pro V1 I was playing at the time.

I have since played  Pro V1x balls because of performance in MGS 2019 Ball Testing results. And I tested the Bridgestone Tour B RXS recently. 

I'll be watching your testing results Wedgie 👍

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

9 minutes ago, daviddvm said:

I really liked the dozen Wilson Professional balls I won last year with the D7 driver in the SpyStaff Masters challenge. According to my Arccos stats the Wilson ball performed similar to the Pro V1 I was playing at the time.

I have since played  Pro V1x balls because of performance in MGS 2019 Ball Testing results. And I tested the Bridgestone Tour B RXS recently. 

I'll be watching your testing results Wedgie 👍

I've been using the Duo Pro and really like it as well.  It is very consistent for me with all my clubs.  High compression balls like the XV are great off my hybrids and driver but I seem to lose some distance with my irons.  I'll compare that as well.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, daviddvm said:

My guess would be Taiwan - that's where all their other balls are made. There are two high-end ball factories in Taiwan, so the quality will be very good. 

I'll be interested to see how some of Wilson's claims bear out in the real world. I like Frank Simonutti very much, and he'll tell you what he thinks - which I respect. He says Wilson's own testing show the Staff Model to be the fastest urethane ball on the market, with short iron spin that's better than all the others except one (I'm guessing Bridgestone). Those kind of claims beg to be verified, so I can see that happening. 

I have the sample dozen they sent for the article - I like the graphics (there's no customization yet), but I do plan on getting a couple dozen - one with 867, the other with 5309. And maybe a third dozen that says "Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to?"

Shoot, if the ball is any damn good, that's worth $44.99 right there for the sheer fun of  it...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My guess would be Taiwan - that's where all their other balls are made. There are two high-end ball factories in Taiwan, so the quality will be very good. 
I'll be interested to see how some of Wilson's claims bear out in the real world. I like Frank Simonutti very much, and he'll tell you what he thinks - which I respect. He says Wilson's own testing show the Staff Model to be the fastest urethane ball on the market, with short iron spin that's better than all the others except one (I'm guessing Bridgestone). Those kind of claims beg to be verified, so I can see that happening. 
I have the sample dozen they sent for the article - I like the graphics (there's no customization yet), but I do plan on getting a couple dozen - one with 867, the other with 5309. And maybe a third dozen that says "Jenny Jenny, who can I turn to?"
Shoot, if the ball is any damn good, that's worth $44.99 right there for the sheer fun of  it...

So if someone grabs your balls they get your phone number?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

3 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

So if someone grabs your balls they get your phone number?

Nope, they get Jenny's - and I got her number on the wall....

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'd play them.

I'm quite sure they're a top quality 3-Club Tour caliper ball. I have played and liked very much the old FG Tour and I still have some of them. This new ball also looks good I think. That article on the blog was saying that Wilson is aiming for elite players basically. Well, that pretty much says Wilson isn't interested in golf forum typist. As for the price, customization, and Baller Box...

I'd buy a doz just to try them. What the heck. I'm not interested in customization of any kind. And the Baller Box UGH - and subscription concept isn't my thing either. I wish them success with the new ball and I'll give them a try one day.

Instead of an egg crate they should have considered:

https://penfoldgolf.com/red-heart-high-performance-golf-ball

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

11 hours ago, dthrog00 said:

The pricing is an issue.  If I'm paying ProV1 prices I'd rather buy actual ProV1s.

Dave

The wife and I were discussing this very point yesterday. She, like most wives, is expert on just about any topic you can think of, and had some interesting takes on ball pricing and consumer buying decisions. 

Go check out the Titleist website for ProV1s. Forget the Buy 3 Get 1 Free thing for a moment - ball companies do that when balls are in their second year (or during pandemics) - and check out pricing for a customized ProV1. The standard ball lists for $52/dozen, and different levels of customization (2-digit player numbers, text, logos) run anywhere from $1 to $7/dozen. Shipping is not included, and that runs another $8.00 or so. So if you were to buy a similar level of customization on a ProV1, that could run upwards of $65 to $67/dozen.

Two things - first, if you don't care about customization, then none of this matters. Second, a compelling argument can be made the Wilson ball is actually, gulp, a deal. (Caveat - it has to perform - that's a given).

If you go to Rockbottomgolf.com, ProVs are $47.95/dozen, with personalization another $2.99. Shipping is free if you're over $52. A better deal than on Titleist's website, but Bridgestone and Callaway are all at $44.99 with $2.99 personalization. Srixon is the best deal of them all at $39.99 - the Z-Star's regular price - plus $2.99 personalization.

For all the harping about price, you'd think Srixon would be golf's number one selling ball when you consider the intersection of price and performance. 

My wife's point, however, is that if the golfer perceives - and let's face it, most of us do - that the Titleist ball is THE best ball, a price difference of $5 to $10 a dozen matters neither a jot nor a tittle (my words, no hers). For what we all spend on golf, she maintains $10 more for a dozen balls is nothing. And the fact Titleist sells ProVs like toilet paper during Coronavirus, she's right. She went on to remind me of my many personal failings and complain that I never listen and a bunch of other things that I can't remember now....

Anyway, it's a fascinating thing to think about. If it really is about price, why isn't Srixon golf's number one selling ball? Hell, if it really is only about price, why isn't Snell golf's number one selling ball? 

As for Wilson, the Staff Model and the Baller Box - they gave me some prototypes at the PGA Show and I got to play them while in Florida. I didn't give them a thorough going over, and during the trip I played primarily the new Bridgestones and some Srixons and leftover ProVs, but the Wilsons certainly held their own. I still think the Bridgestone is hands down an outstanding ball and would be my ball of choice, but I'd consider the Wilson a worthy alternative. 

So, is $50 ($44.99 when buying 3 dozen), all customization and shipping included, a pricing mistake by Wilson? I think they'd have been better off by offering a plain offering in a traditional box at a lower price along with the Baller Box, so you'd have an alternative. I still believe the Baller Box is a good idea - forget about the packaging for a minute - balls by subscription is all about convenience, and making it a VIP "club" that provides you with additional seasonal discounts and other benefits, then it has its appeal. The mistake was trying to get too cute with quantity discounts and longevity discounts. And never forget the quandary of retail - Wilson can't offer any pricing scheme on its website that undercuts its retail and eCommerce partners for the same product - hence the Baller Box idea to begin with. 

Subscription is about convenience - and in this I think Seed has the right idea. The balls are always the same price, no matter how long your subscription or how many you buy at a time, and you can cancel anytime you want. If you only want to buy one dozen to try, well that's a higher price. 

Anyway, gotta run. My wife wants to talk to me some more about my shortcomings. This may take a while...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of Wilson balls but the current ones are way too soft for my swing speed. I found some Wilson Professional 90 balls is an old bag up in the garage roof the other day. the cellophane wrapping disintegrated when I picked them up. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 2 weeks later...

Nice gesture by Wilson.

WE APOLOGIZE, YOUR ORDER #3800332106 IS DELAYED

Dear Grant,
Thank you for your Wilson Staff Model golf ball purchase on wilson.com.
The initial estimated shipping date of 5/11 has been revised to early/mid June for your player number personalized golf ball order. We apologize for this delay, and for any inconvenience.

We know you’re eager to receive your golf balls, so we have upgraded your order to be shipped with 2-Day Shipping at no additional cost. In the meantime, please use this promo code for a free Wilson Staff golf glove up to $20. Just enter this code in your shopping cart before checkout.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I might try them if they were $30, but otherwise I’m not interested. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

13 hours ago, crw said:

I might try them if they were $30, but otherwise I’m not interested. 

Well, you do get a free $20 golf glove with them.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I’m leaning towards giving them a shot.  Wish they were actually manufactured in the US, but for one dozen let’s see what they can do. 

@GolfSpy Barbajo is the factory in Taiwan a Wilson owned factory? 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

10 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

I’m leaning towards giving them a shot.  Wish they were actually manufactured in the US, but for one dozen let’s see what they can do. 

@GolfSpy Barbajo is the factory in Taiwan a Wilson owned factory? 

No - as far as I know, they contract out their work to the Taiwanese factory. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

So, finally got a couple of rounds in this week and tried the Staff Model ball, along with last year's Bridgestone Tour B X and a new Penfold Dual ID ball. 

Some thoughts:

In terms of distance, the Staff Model is every bit the equal of last year's Tour B X. I didn't have any of the new 'Stones in the bag so I can't compare. I will say when I've played the Tour B's, they are incredible. The Staff Model ball is very good - and I'd certainly game it.

Green spin is very similar to Tour B X - Wilson says it engineered this ball for more spin around the green and its own testing shows it spins more than any ball except one (I'm guessing Bridgestone). I'd say for me the spin was about the same as the Tour B X. I didn't have a B XS to compare it to, but spin on the green was plenty adequate - on par with Bridgestone, Titleist and others I've gamed. 

Cover is plenty durable. No scuff marks to speak of even after dinging some trees. It doesn't like cart paths, but most balls don't. 

That Penfold Dual ID ball was kinda fun to play for no other reason that it's different. Penfold is an iconic British brand, but these are off the shelf balls from South Korea (production will move to Taiwan eventually. It's a 4-piece urethane ball, so it performs fine. Not the greatest ball ever made, but it's no dog either. And you can pretend you're James Bond while you play. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

My good friend is a Webb Tour player and he received the balls while they were in the prototype phase. He has been playing them a lot and really like them. He gave me a sleeve but I have not put them in play yet. I’ll let you know how they perform. 

M5 Taylormade w/Hazrds Yellow (small batch)

Ping G410 Hybrid w/Evenflow protoype

Taylormade 4-PW P-750 w/C-Taper Lite 

Taylormade HiToe 50, 54, 60 w/project-x 

Scotty Squareback or Spyder X 

I'm sure they would be good balls, but there is no way I would pay $50/dzn to play them. Dicks/Gold Galaxy still have Srixon Z-Stars and XVs at 3 dzn for $80. $2.22 vs. $4.17 per ball...and there is no way the Wilsons are going to perform any better.

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA