Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Callaway Steelhead Pro Irons

Because of an illness I had to change clubs back in 2016. My previous irons were Wilson Staff FG100 Blades with S300 Shafts. However it was determined that the vibration that resonated up the shaft when I hit these clubs was triggering the pain that I get from my illness. What would happen is that I would usually start to hurt after 9-12 holes and by the time I got to the 14-15th I was in so much pain I could not go on. BTW, I take 2 Panadol Forte every 9 holes on top of of 300Mg of Lyrica (nerve pain killers) I take twice a day. But I love playing golf and will not let this illness stop me.

Now to give you some background, I was forced to stop playing back in 2006 as I damaged my knee, I was on a handicap of 4.2.  After 4 lots of surgery over 6 years I returned to playing in 2013 10kg heavier and now where near as flexible. Within 2 years I had managed to get my handicap back to 12 and had it heading in the right direction when I got Shingles. If fact I won the comp the day I got ill.

I used to swing my Driver at 117mph, my 3 iron at 103 and my 7 iron at 96.

If you have not had Shingles it is extremely painful as the disease attacks you through your nervous system and in 10% of cases can damage nerves permanently - This is called Postherpetic Neuralgia as that is what I have. I have damaged nerves in my left Shoulder Blade, under my left arm and in my left front chest.

So I ended up going to Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Cobra performance centres and when through the evaluation process. The brief was simple, club cannot be forged and must have Graphite Shafts.

My swing speed had reduced but was still up there so as you can imagine after the swing analysis the recommended shafts were S300 but I could not have them so I ended up with Recoil. 

Loved the Callaway, Ping and Mizuno clubs but Ping did not offer a great range of graphite shafts and the Callaway had additional vibration absorbing polyurethane in the clubs. I went for the Steelhead Pro as they allowed me to move the ball. 

So what is in my bag..

Callaway Fusion Driver and 3 wood. 85G Stiff Recoil Shafts

Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid - 85G Stiff Recoil Shaft

Callaway Steelhead Pro Irons - 3-AW - 68G Recoil Stiff Shafts

Cleveland 588 Rusty 46 degree Steel Wedge Shaft - love this for chipping and pitching and when I need to play really high lop shots. I find I can open it to almost flat ans have so much confidence hitting it.

Cleveland RTX 3 54 degree Sand Wedge Steel Wedge Shaft - stiff prefer steel shafts in my wedges but limit there use.

2 Putters options...

Callaway Big Berth Putter with extended counter balance grip- used mostly in winter when the greens are soft, wet and usually much slower

La Jolla Flange Putter with Flat Cat Grip. If you have not tried these grips, do so they are brilliant. It came on the Putter when I bought it and I was going to change it but after trying it. it quickly became my preferred Putter in Summer.

Preferred golf ball Pro V1x.

Bag: Bennington QO-14 Lite Quiet Organiser Euro Version - got it about 5 months ago and it is absolutely brilliant.

I have a GoKart Electric buggy as I 99% of the time I prefer to Walk

Current handicap is 18.2. I play golf for the enjoyment and conversation and are happy just to play well and finish 18 holes. If I am feeling ok I try to play twice a week but if I am lucky I will play 50-60 rounds a year. In the old days I would play 3-4 times a week and hit 400 balls at the range.

Cheers

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Because of an illness I had to change clubs back in 2016. My previous irons were Wilson Staff FG100 Blades with S300 Shafts. However it was determined that the vibration that resonated up the shaft when I hit these clubs was triggering the pain that I get from my illness. What would happen is that I would usually start to hurt after 9-12 holes and by the time I got to the 14-15th I was in so much pain I could not go on. BTW, I take 2 Panadol Forte every 9 holes on top of of 300Mg of Lyrica (nerve pain killers) I take twice a day. But I love playing golf and will not let this illness stop me.
Now to give you some background, I was forced to stop playing back in 2006 as I damaged my knee, I was on a handicap of 4.2.  After 4 lots of surgery over 6 years I returned to playing in 2013 10kg heavier and now where near as flexible. Within 2 years I had managed to get my handicap back to 12 and had it heading in the right direction when I got Shingles. If fact I won the comp the day I got ill.
I used to swing my Driver at 117mph, my 3 iron at 103 and my 7 iron at 96.
If you have not had Shingles it is extremely painful as the disease attacks you through your nervous system and in 10% of cases can damage nerves permanently - This is called Postherpetic Neuralgia as that is what I have. I have damaged nerves in my left Shoulder Blade, under my left arm and in my left front chest.
So I ended up going to Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Cobra performance centres and when through the evaluation process. The brief was simple, club cannot be forged and must have Graphite Shafts.
My swing speed had reduced but was still up there so as you can imagine after the swing analysis the recommended shafts were S300 but I could not have them so I ended up with Recoil. 
Loved the Callaway, Ping and Mizuno clubs but Ping did not offer a great range of graphite shafts and the Callaway had additional vibration absorbing polyurethane in the clubs. I went for the Steelhead Pro as they allowed me to move the ball. 
So what is in my bag..
Callaway Fusion Driver and 3 wood. 85G Stiff Recoil Shafts
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid - 85G Stiff Recoil Shaft
Callaway Steelhead Pro Irons - 3-AW - 68G Recoil Stiff Shafts
Cleveland 588 Rusty 46 degree Steel Wedge Shaft - love this for chipping and pitching and when I need to play really high lop shots. I find I can open it to almost flat ans have so much confidence hitting it.
Cleveland RTX 3 54 degree Sand Wedge Steel Wedge Shaft - stiff prefer steel shafts in my wedges but limit there use.
2 Putters options...
Callaway Big Berth Putter with extended counter balance grip- used mostly in winter when the greens are soft, wet and usually much slower
  La Jolla Flange Putter with Flat Cat Grip. If you have not tried these grips, do so they are brilliant. It came on the Putter when I bought it and I was going to change it but after trying it. it quickly became my preferred Putter in Summer.
Preferred golf ball Pro V1x.
Bag: Bennington QO-14 Lite Quiet Organiser Euro Version - got it about 5 months ago and it is absolutely brilliant.
I have a GoKart Electric buggy as I 99% of the time I prefer to Walk
Current handicap is 18.2. I play golf for the enjoyment and conversation and are happy just to play well and finish 18 holes. If I am feeling ok I try to play twice a week but if I am lucky I will play 50-60 rounds a year. In the old days I would play 3-4 times a week and hit 400 balls at the range.
Cheers

Welcome! 50-60 rounds a year isn’t too shabby. It sounds like you have a great bag that works for you, the way it should be.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

It sounds you went above and beyond to play golf, the game we all love. I can certainly respect that. I hope the new gear allows you to enjoy the game as long as possible.

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

Thanks for the support guys. Being in lock down for 2 months has really highlighted the benefit of playing a couple of rounds a week. I have been in lots of pain and I attribute this to not getting the same type of exercise. I try to swing a club and a Tempo Trainer everyday and I go for walks every second day but it is not the same as playing 18 holes.

I hope you all stay safe during these tough time, hopefully we will be back playing golf next month. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - just curious about the Bennington bag. I just ordered one one line but then read some reviews about the zips falling apart. Any problems in that regard for you?
ps Kudos to you sir for soldiering on! I'm sidelined with a Tiger back at the moment - very frustrating. Still doesn't stop me buying stuff I don't really need 🙂