Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hitting Mats

Hi!

Has anyone experience with 5 star hitting mats?

If yes which one and what's the feedback?

:ping-small: G400 9.0 Alta CB 55g stiff

:ping-small: G400 3W Alta CB 65g stiff

:Sub70: Fairway Pro 5W Ust Mamiya V2 black stiff

:Sub70: 839X 4h Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: 639cb 5-PW Kbs TGI80

:Sub70: Forged Wedge  50.7 Kbs TGI80

:callaway-small: MD4 56.8, 60.12

PXG Bat Attack

:Snell: MTB-X

The Real Feel is the real deal. I've owned one for years. Always outdoors and it's still good as new. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

https://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

No experience with those but I have an All Turf Super Tee mat arriving this weekend. $150 off Amazon. Hoping it will be a worthy upgrade to the cheap POS I bought from Dick's awhile back. 

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero

Irons: Taylormade P770 4i - AW

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 at 55 and 60 degrees

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3Hy

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3W

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

22 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

The Real Feel is the real deal. I've owned one for years. Always outdoors and it's still good as new. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

https://www.realfeelgolfmats.com/

+1

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 4/21/2020 at 6:27 PM, Wondergiulio said:

Hi!

Has anyone experience with 5 star hitting mats?

If yes which one and what's the feedback?

I bought the 5 Star Zoysia fairway mat, I chose this one because it appears to be the thickest of the 5 star mats. I wanted something that would provide feedback and punish fat shots, if you are hitting off a perfect and flat lie there should be some additional difficulty which this mat provides. It also accepts wood tees. It shipped to Canada from the US in about a week which was a pleasant surprise. If you add one of the mats to your shopping cart they will email a 5% off coupon the following day FYI. 

The mat is a bit soft because of the turf length, so it needs to be setup on a firm surface and I would recommend using golf shoes while hitting to prevent sinking. One benefit is that it has made me more aware of my weight balance between heels and balls of feet. It is also easy on the joints because of this which was another major consideration for me. 

I picked the 5x5' mat which is expensive, but the extra size will allow me to rotate the mat to hit from 4 spots instead of 2 like a 3x5' mat so it should last forever. I haven't demo'd any of the popular mats mentioned above but the 5 star appears to be excellent quality and worth the cost. Nicer than any range mat I have been on except for maybe the odd high end commercial mat at private golf clubs. 

The attached photo shows the side of the mat, that is a green yoga mat, and white area rug underneath it for reference. The Real Feel mats look to have thicker turf but I felt the 5 star products were close enough in quality that price difference vs Real Feel wasn't justified. 

IMG_0143.jpg

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

It is good to try and hit off a Mat that doesn’t make it too easy. Lou Stagner a stats guy has data that players hit the ball, Way more accurately off golf Mats than on fairways.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

On 4/23/2020 at 11:35 AM, BMart519 said:

I bought the 5 Star Zoysia fairway mat, I chose this one because it appears to be the thickest of the 5 star mats. I wanted something that would provide feedback and punish fat shots, if you are hitting off a perfect and flat lie there should be some additional difficulty which this mat provides. It also accepts wood tees. It shipped to Canada from the US in about a week which was a pleasant surprise. If you add one of the mats to your shopping cart they will email a 5% off coupon the following day FYI. 

The mat is a bit soft because of the turf length, so it needs to be setup on a firm surface and I would recommend using golf shoes while hitting to prevent sinking. One benefit is that it has made me more aware of my weight balance between heels and balls of feet. It is also easy on the joints because of this which was another major consideration for me. 

I picked the 5x5' mat which is expensive, but the extra size will allow me to rotate the mat to hit from 4 spots instead of 2 like a 3x5' mat so it should last forever. I haven't demo'd any of the popular mats mentioned above but the 5 star appears to be excellent quality and worth the cost. Nicer than any range mat I have been on except for maybe the odd high end commercial mat at private golf clubs. 

The attached photo shows the side of the mat, that is a green yoga mat, and white area rug underneath it for reference. The Real Feel mats look to have thicker turf but I felt the 5 star products were close enough in quality that price difference vs Real Feel wasn't justified. 

Update - this turf does not hold a tees. It does have cutouts on all 4 side for rubber tees which come with plugs in them. Fortunately, you can stick a wood tee in between the plug and mat to adjust to any height. Turf is trampling down where I take my stance, will be interesting to see how that holds up and if it fluffs up when I rotate the mat and hit from that spot. Fortunately, I can stand near the center of the mat and hit from the edges. It looks like getting the 5x5' size was the right call so it can be rotated at least 4 times over its life. 

It works as advertised on fat shots, irons will "dig" close to 1/2" and hit the ball near the top line on my G410 irons. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0