TESTERS WANTED! ×

Whats keeping you from playing super game improvement irons????

Zen Snake

Just want to see what's holding people from playing super or just game improvement irons??? I never thought I could get over the looks or the idea of playing them because of the stigma of them being old guy clubs. I'm no stick but I'm no slouch either, but once I adopted the MGS mentality and bought into what they preach about why no take advantage of tech or forgiveness. It was easy to game them, and the look on peoples face when they see that's what I'm playing is funny. But it should always be about the numbers, and to me these perform and produce results. let the ego go, enough of my rant. What's ur thoughts on this????

WITB2020.jpg

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

Ego.

I can’t count how many people I’ve played with who spend money on the wrong clubs for their game. You’ve got a nice bag.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

They look terrible and I can get same benefits in a better looking package like the p790, i500, PXG 0311P if I wanted something with a larger size compared to my current clubs.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As a most wanted tester I have the opportunity to hit list every club on the market. While I don’t get to pick specific shafts for those clubs I feel like my performance doesn’t get any better with SGI clubs. I typically buy used and generally find that more players clubs are available with the shafts I prefer to play.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Looks and feel is not confidence inspiring for me and loft jacking is rampant. I whole heartedly agree with the MGS way BUT data is only one piece of the puzzle. Still have to know how to use and apply it to make you better, not live/die by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirmation bias is also a significant factor in how people select equipment.  While I agree that you have to trust the look of what you're playing, there are far too many golfer who will disqualify certain equipment without giving it a fair shake.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I am playing SGI irons.  I can still play my previous sets: Ping i20 and Macgregor VIP 1025M, but I have more fun playing my Bridgestones.  I'm loving the loft jacking technology!!  For an old guy I can hit my 9i about the same distance as my old 7i with a 9i trajectory.  It didn't take me long to get over the looks!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

53 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Testing the G700 irons for the forum changed my opinion on this. My approach play had already been the strength of my game (relative to handicap); switching to the G700s, even though they are massive, made that part of my game even better. Since, then, I've been on a mission to add help to every club in my bag; aiming to swap out the driver this season with something more forgiving.

These are the first set of new clubs I've bought. Since 06 I've been gamming PING ISI Copper. prolly the only reason I didn't get the G710 was the price. those things are monstrous.... And don't get me wrong I love the look of a blade and the MB but I just turned 40 and I wanted consistency out on the course. The final score at the end of the day is what's important.   

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

I definitely agree it’s an ego thing. “I don’t need forgiveness I hit pure all the time”....not the case I am interested to see like I have said before my old 588MTs vs the 790s vs testing the G710s should have some really good comparisons with all being relative lofts but all different styles 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

My bag pretty much looks just like the OP.  Shaved 5 strokes of my handicap when I switched to the Launchers from Mizuno Hot Metal irons.  I don't care what my clubs look like or what people think and I really don't care what other people play.  I went to True Spec to get fit for new irons and they couldn't beat the Launchers.  Not that I haven't flirted with other clubs since I started with the Launchers but nothing has been close to beating these for me.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

3 hours ago, Zen Snake said:

Just want to see what's holding people from playing super or just game improvement irons??? I never thought I could get over the looks or the idea of playing them because of the stigma of them being old guy clubs. I'm no stick but I'm no slouch either, but once I adopted the MGS mentality and bought into what they preach about why no take advantage of tech or forgiveness. It was easy to game them, and the look on peoples face when they see that's what I'm playing is funny. But it should always be about the numbers, and to me these perform and produce results. let the ego go, enough of my rant. What's ur thoughts on this????

WITB2020.jpg

Awesome looking clubs. Everyone should use them. On Golf.com even the pros  eg. Kevin Na says he and other pros only use GI clubs and feels amateurs should use GI or SGI.

Makes perfect sense to play clubs that are larger and more forgiving. Just thing about cars, 99.9999999% of the drivers should never drive a Ferrari F1 etc as it is impractical and beyond the skill of the driver. Ditto for golf clubs.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Testing the G700 irons for the forum changed my opinion on this. My approach play had already been the strength of my game (relative to handicap); switching to the G700s, even though they are massive, made that part of my game even better. Since, then, I've been on a mission to add help to every club in my bag; aiming to swap out the driver this season with something more forgiving.

Makes perfect sense. Good luck and stay safe.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

Just now, viking said:

Awesome looking clubs. Everyone should use them. On Golf.com even the pros  eg. Kevin Na says he and other pros only use GI clubs and feels amateurs should use GI or SGI.

Makes perfect sense to play clubs that are larger and more forgiving. Just thing about cars, 99.9999999% of the drivers should never drive a Ferrari F1 etc as it is impractical and beyond the skill of the driver. Ditto for golf clubs.

That’s not what Kevin Na said. He said blades don’t work for him and that he likes the added forgiveness in a cavity back and that more people should not play blades. He plays rogue pro and apex pro irons those aren’t GI.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

For me, it's pretty simple.  The irons in my bag are the ones I score best with.  There's no ego junk involved, I would actually prefer playing something more durable, like older 17-4 Pings.  But, it's hard to argue with the results I've gotten over the last 19 seasons.

Have a friend who has G series Pings (I think they're the G20), he's had me hit them several times.  I could probably play those in the longest irons, but the short and mid irons give me funky results.  I've seen balloons with an 8 iron in little wind, for example (the old classic upshoot).  The Ping ISI that I absolutely wanted to work, came with the DGX I was playing at the time, gave me squirrelly results on mishits.  I tend to miss heel side, and I'd get weird leaks out to the right on those misses.  Not just the ISI, it's been common for me with most of the CBs I've played.

Not quite SGI, but I bought a set of TM TP MC (2011) irons from Brother Chisag.  They're great in the long irons, the 3 and 4 for sure, and maybe the 5i, but the rest of them don't work as well as my MP37s or Golden Rams.  It's really only the 3 iron that is better for me, and even that is largely a distance thing; I hit the MC 3i a bit farther than my MP37 3i or Golden Ram 2i (essentially same club).

So I play blades.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

At age 30 (1990) took lessons and upon advice of teacher started playing blades (Haig-Ultras) to improve feedback.  Maybe made sense then, I was single, had a lot of time to practice and play, wanted to improve, etc. 

Used "players" clubs until last spring at age 59 (2019) when I got a set of Srixon Z565s.  "Closest To The Pin" winnings have improved dramatically.

Last summer I was standing over the ball ready to hit my Srixon Z565 7 iron on a par 3 and suddenly I felt something weird,..... relaxed.

I play in a ton of wind and need to flight the ball down. That and I don’t like the look of 9 hybrids in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Offset, sole width, top line, and head size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On longer irons like a 5 and 4 SGI irons would really help my game.  The problem that I run into is the amount of offset.  When a club has too much offset and not much loft it does not look like the ball is going to get in the air.  Technically this is not true but I have not been able to get past that and if I could it would improve my score overall.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I'm experimenting with Forged TEC at the moment (Or when lockdown is over), I want to see if I can improve my ball striking so that when I got back to the F8s I'll be ahead.
I wonder if the GIs are compensating for a bad swing too much.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

I know it's my own fault but when I go to a SGI iron my game from a 100 yards in goes down the toilet.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

It's not ego. I just don't like the looks.

Even if I could shoot a few strokes less with SGI, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. I rather shank or skull with CB 😄

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

4 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

It's not ego. I just don't like the looks.

Even if I could shoot a few strokes less with SGI, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. I rather shank or skull with CB 😄

I went to SGI clubs and shoot several strokes better, and I'm enjoying it.  I got used to the looks.

Don't fret if you don't like the looks.  Shanks and skulls are still possible with SGI clubs.  😆

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I went to SGI clubs and shoot several strokes better, and I'm enjoying it.  I got used to the looks.

Don't fret if you don't like the looks.  Shanks and skulls are still possible with SGI clubs.  😆

But probably doesn't feel as good! You need to feel the sting on your hands! 😄

Maybe I'll get used to it someday... people change...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

6 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

But probably doesn't feel as good! You need to feel the sting on your hands! 😄

Maybe I'll get used to it someday... people change...

Not for these old, arthritic hands.  I still love hitting my Macgregor blades when I pure it, but I don't do that often enough.  

Unfortunately, my swing doesn't get along with wide-soled irons.  I say unfortunately, because I could really benefit from the higher launch and forgiveness of SGI's.  The perfect iron for me would launch like a Ping G iron with a ton of offset and a narrow sole.  I've yet to find one like that, other than the Ping Eye 2.  In fact, if Ping re-introduced the Eye 2 with modern lofts, I would buy them in a heart beat.  BTW, I have owned a lot of big framed irons in search of forgiveness:  Ping G10, G15, G30, G.  Titleist AP1.  I always end up going back to irons with thinner soles.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Everyone's golf bag is their personal "toolbox". Most people who post on a golf website care enough about their game to make sure they have tools that work best for them. I used to worry about having a bag that looked like I had a bit of "player" in me, but those days are gone. I'm in my 60's now, and I want as much help as I can get. 

I play the strongest lofted irons on the market (Rogue X) for a couple of reasons. They go long, high, and straight. I like the look at setup, and the help they give me when my game is a LITTLE off. They aren't magic wands that turn a bad swing into a good shot, but I know they've helped me out there a lot more on the course than my Apex irons did.

I recently snapped the shaft on my G400 max driver, and because of everything going on now, I can't send it to PING for another Alta shaft, so I bought the Cobra Xtreme, and it is just as forgiving, and a little bit longer. I finally took my trusty old Yes! Tracy putter out, and I think I've settled on a PING Tyne over Odyssey double wide. Again, more forgiving.

If there is one more change I might make, it will be replacing my 52* with a CBX wedge. Long story short... fill your personal toolbox with what YOU like, and what works best for YOU. It's your bag, after all.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

5 hours ago, Moose4282 said:

Alot of reasons... aside from being ugly, low spin rates, worse dispersion, Harder to flight, start to get sloppier with contact not to mention less feel for the strike.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I like them better, how can you say worse dispersion, that is one of the top reasons for GI and SGI irons next to distance (but vice a versa to me), also easier to get in the air i.e. flight.