TESTERS WANTED! ×

Whats keeping you from playing super game improvement irons????

Zen Snake

For me it's the consistency.

I have played with game improvement irons before and every once in a while I would have a 7 iron shot from the fairway where I expected the shot to go 172 as always, but it would fly 192 into the bushes over the green. It became extremely hard to play as I was always worried about catching a " hot one" out of the fairway and it just led to headworms.

When I switched to forged irons, I didn't have to worry about hot ones. For me, it would be hard to go back, just given my previous experience.

A close second is feedback. I am a decent but not excellent ball striker, but I am consistent enough that I want the feed back of how my strike was. I dont want a bad strike to be masked if i hit it bad let me feel where I hit it, how bad I hit it, and show me the visual result. On a good strike I want to be rewarded 

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I just spent the last two months trying to play with SGI irons (4i - PW). I have never had to try so hard to hit clubs consistently in my life. I don't know what it is about them, but I have to change so much just to get them to do what my MP5s do with almost no thought at all. I am 57 and an 8 with driver SS around 108. I would never suggest that SGI/GI clubs can not help a golfer, they just don't help me. If any OEM ever comes out with a SGI/GI club that I can hit easily, I will definitely get them.

BT

I do feel that I fit the bill here. 😄

I've never been a big fan of offset to begin with, and that's the main reason why I usually don't like the look of more forgiving clubs. Since the Titleist 981 I've only played Callaway X-Prototype, because I liked the look. This season I decided to change to one length, and did consider a custom fitting for Cobra King Forged Tec, but due to the pandemic and the need to travel 2-3 hours to make that happen, I went with used Cobra King Forged for now.

I have owned Cobra King F8 too, but I found them very awkward somehow. I know it wasn't really the clubs, but my fault. But my results did not improve one bit because those irons were more forgiving. When I misshit those, my thick shots were just as thick, and even if off-center hits felt "better", the shots were still terrible.

I simply want to play well with an equipment I like. If I struggle, I need to work harder.

Bag: image.jpeg Speedzone Stand Bag
Driver: image.jpeg.c52f94b683d0b1557505d398dd3fb0c8.jpeg King LTDx 9° Tensei O
3 W: image.jpeg.f1cc9ab9f2a93654030625fdc8de13f2.jpeg King LTDx 15,5° Tensei O
3 H: image.jpeg.c012bb247a39b5f1742b686c3dd39b70.jpeg King Speedzone One Length 19° Stiff
Irons: image.jpeg.dbcc24448d6993f44500423fe631d206.jpeg King Forged One Length KBS 120 4-GW
Wedges: image.jpeg.853c0ec9efa5edfda308b6857d6dd0dd.jpeg Snakebite One Length 56 & 60
Putter: image.jpeg.853c0ec9efa5edfda308b6857d6dd0dd.jpeg Grandsport 35 armlock
Ball: :titelist-small: Tour Soft (Yellow)

image.png.472eab421d79c993512439768ed53787.pngAll clubs (except putter) use JumboMax Ultralite XL

And, they tend to launch higher so, pro players want to keep it a bit lower for control but, I am no pro (yet). 

This is always an interesting comment. Most people think the hit the ball too high and that pros keep the ball down. I would agree for wedges that they flight the ball down but in general they hit the ball pretty high; higher than most amateurs. Hard to judge in TV but they launch the ball.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, TimoTe said:

it's harder to curve the ball (not impossible). And, they tend to launch higher so, pro players want to keep it a bit lower for control but, I am no pro (yet). 

There is a lot of incorrect information here.

1) Curve is generated by face to path.  You can generate the same face to path with any iron, so you can curve any iron more.

2) The average PGA Tour Player his iron shots that apex at over 90 ft.  That is the average.  Then look at guys like Rory, Day, DJ, Bryson, and many of the top players and you will see that their stock iron shots apex at well over 115ft, occasionally pushing 150ft!

• Guests
Guest Delete
2 hours ago, cnosil said:

This is always an interesting comment. Most people think the hit the ball too high and that pros keep the ball down. I would agree for wedges that they flight the ball down but in general they hit the ball pretty high; higher than most amateurs. Hard to judge in TV but they launch the ball.

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

There is a lot of incorrect information here.

1) Curve is generated by face to path.  You can generate the same face to path with any iron, so you can curve any iron more.

2) The average PGA Tour Player his iron shots that apex at over 90 ft.  That is the average.  Then look at guys like Rory, Day, DJ, Bryson, and many of the top players and you will see that their stock iron shots apex at well over 115ft, occasionally pushing 150ft!

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete