Zen Snake

Whats keeping you from playing super game improvement irons????

Our Sponsors

Just want to see what's holding people from playing super or just game improvement irons??? I never thought I could get over the looks or the idea of playing them because of the stigma of them being old guy clubs. I'm no stick but I'm no slouch either, but once I adopted the MGS mentality and bought into what they preach about why no take advantage of tech or forgiveness. It was easy to game them, and the look on peoples face when they see that's what I'm playing is funny. But it should always be about the numbers, and to me these perform and produce results. let the ego go, enough of my rant. What's ur thoughts on this????

WITB2020.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Hybrid 19* W/ Graphite Design Tour AD-105 S-shaft

:srixon-small: Z585 4-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:Smart sole 4. GW/50*

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & 60*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:srixon-small:Soft Feel Brite Green

Righty and the Bag is an old beat-up :titelist-small: 

:Arccos:

Ego.

I can’t count how many people I’ve played with who spend money on the wrong clubs for their game. You’ve got a nice bag.

• Like 4

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

They look terrible and I can get same benefits in a better looking package like the p790, i500, PXG 0311P if I wanted something with a larger size compared to my current clubs.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As a most wanted tester I have the opportunity to hit list every club on the market. While I don’t get to pick specific shafts for those clubs I feel like my performance doesn’t get any better with SGI clubs. I typically buy used and generally find that more players clubs are available with the shafts I prefer to play.

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Looks and feel is not confidence inspiring for me and loft jacking is rampant. I whole heartedly agree with the MGS way BUT data is only one piece of the puzzle. Still have to know how to use and apply it to make you better, not live/die by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confirmation bias is also a significant factor in how people select equipment.  While I agree that you have to trust the look of what you're playing, there are far too many golfer who will disqualify certain equipment without giving it a fair shake.  

• Like 3

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

I am playing SGI irons.  I can still play my previous sets: Ping i20 and Macgregor VIP 1025M, but I have more fun playing my Bridgestones.  I'm loving the loft jacking technology!!  For an old guy I can hit my 9i about the same distance as my old 7i with a 9i trajectory.  It didn't take me long to get over the looks!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

53 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Testing the G700 irons for the forum changed my opinion on this. My approach play had already been the strength of my game (relative to handicap); switching to the G700s, even though they are massive, made that part of my game even better. Since, then, I've been on a mission to add help to every club in my bag; aiming to swap out the driver this season with something more forgiving.

These are the first set of new clubs I've bought. Since 06 I've been gamming PING ISI Copper. prolly the only reason I didn't get the G710 was the price. those things are monstrous.... And don't get me wrong I love the look of a blade and the MB but I just turned 40 and I wanted consistency out on the course. The final score at the end of the day is what's important.   

• Like 2

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Hybrid 19* W/ Graphite Design Tour AD-105 S-shaft

:srixon-small: Z585 4-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:Smart sole 4. GW/50*

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & 60*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:srixon-small:Soft Feel Brite Green

Righty and the Bag is an old beat-up :titelist-small: 

:Arccos:

I definitely agree it’s an ego thing. “I don’t need forgiveness I hit pure all the time”....not the case I am interested to see like I have said before my old 588MTs vs the 790s vs testing the G710s should have some really good comparisons with all being relative lofts but all different styles 

• Like 1

Check out my review for the :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal:

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g

:adams-small: 2H & 4H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

My bag pretty much looks just like the OP.  Shaved 5 strokes of my handicap when I switched to the Launchers from Mizuno Hot Metal irons.  I don't care what my clubs look like or what people think and I really don't care what other people play.  I went to True Spec to get fit for new irons and they couldn't beat the Launchers.  Not that I haven't flirted with other clubs since I started with the Launchers but nothing has been close to beating these for me.

• Like 5

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

3 hours ago, Zen Snake said:

Just want to see what's holding people from playing super or just game improvement irons??? I never thought I could get over the looks or the idea of playing them because of the stigma of them being old guy clubs. I'm no stick but I'm no slouch either, but once I adopted the MGS mentality and bought into what they preach about why no take advantage of tech or forgiveness. It was easy to game them, and the look on peoples face when they see that's what I'm playing is funny. But it should always be about the numbers, and to me these perform and produce results. let the ego go, enough of my rant. What's ur thoughts on this????

WITB2020.jpg

Awesome looking clubs. Everyone should use them. On Golf.com even the pros  eg. Kevin Na says he and other pros only use GI clubs and feels amateurs should use GI or SGI.

Makes perfect sense to play clubs that are larger and more forgiving. Just thing about cars, 99.9999999% of the drivers should never drive a Ferrari F1 etc as it is impractical and beyond the skill of the driver. Ditto for golf clubs.

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Testing the G700 irons for the forum changed my opinion on this. My approach play had already been the strength of my game (relative to handicap); switching to the G700s, even though they are massive, made that part of my game even better. Since, then, I've been on a mission to add help to every club in my bag; aiming to swap out the driver this season with something more forgiving.

Makes perfect sense. Good luck and stay safe.

Just now, viking said:

Awesome looking clubs. Everyone should use them. On Golf.com even the pros  eg. Kevin Na says he and other pros only use GI clubs and feels amateurs should use GI or SGI.

Makes perfect sense to play clubs that are larger and more forgiving. Just thing about cars, 99.9999999% of the drivers should never drive a Ferrari F1 etc as it is impractical and beyond the skill of the driver. Ditto for golf clubs.

That’s not what Kevin Na said. He said blades don’t work for him and that he likes the added forgiveness in a cavity back and that more people should not play blades. He plays rogue pro and apex pro irons those aren’t GI.

• Like 7

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Posted (edited)

For me, it's pretty simple.  The irons in my bag are the ones I score best with.  There's no ego junk involved, I would actually prefer playing something more durable, like older 17-4 Pings.  But, it's hard to argue with the results I've gotten over the last 19 seasons.

Have a friend who has G series Pings (I think they're the G20), he's had me hit them several times.  I could probably play those in the longest irons, but the short and mid irons give me funky results.  I've seen balloons with an 8 iron in little wind, for example (the old classic upshoot).  The Ping ISI that I absolutely wanted to work, came with the DGX I was playing at the time, gave me squirrelly results on mishits.  I tend to miss heel side, and I'd get weird leaks out to the right on those misses.  Not just the ISI, it's been common for me with most of the CBs I've played.

Not quite SGI, but I bought a set of TM TP MC (2011) irons from Brother Chisag.  They're great in the long irons, the 3 and 4 for sure, and maybe the 5i, but the rest of them don't work as well as my MP37s or Golden Rams.  It's really only the 3 iron that is better for me, and even that is largely a distance thing; I hit the MC 3i a bit farther than my MP37 3i or Golden Ram 2i (essentially same club).

So I play blades.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

Cobra King LTD @ 10.5*, ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5"
2h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
3-PW:  Mizuno MP37, DGS300
GW: Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
SW:  Ram TG-898 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, Cleveland Designed By, or Mizuno TPM-2, all at 34", or Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro or FG Tour, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc

Sometimes play 2-PW Golden Ram TW282 or 2-PW 1980 Golden Rams

Occasionally swap in Orlimar or Ram persimmons at the top end of bag

At age 30 (1990) took lessons and upon advice of teacher started playing blades (Haig-Ultras) to improve feedback.  Maybe made sense then, I was single, had a lot of time to practice and play, wanted to improve, etc. 

Used "players" clubs until last spring at age 59 (2019) when I got a set of Srixon Z565s.  "Closest To The Pin" winnings have improved dramatically.

Last summer I was standing over the ball ready to hit my Srixon Z565 7 iron on a par 3 and suddenly I felt something weird,..... relaxed.

• Like 1

I play in a ton of wind and need to flight the ball down. That and I don’t like the look of 9 hybrids in my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

Offset, sole width, top line, and head size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

On longer irons like a 5 and 4 SGI irons would really help my game.  The problem that I run into is the amount of offset.  When a club has too much offset and not much loft it does not look like the ball is going to get in the air.  Technically this is not true but I have not been able to get past that and if I could it would improve my score overall.  

Driver - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3 and 4 - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS,58 ES

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I'm experimenting with Forged TEC at the moment (Or when lockdown is over), I want to see if I can improve my ball striking so that when I got back to the F8s I'll be ahead.
I wonder if the GIs are compensating for a bad swing too much.

:cobra-small:King LTD 9*, Accra FX100 M3 45"/ King F8 9*, Accra FX200 M4 44" + 15g
,:cobra-small:King LTD 13*, Accra FX100 M3 42.5"
:cobra-small:F9+ 17.5*, Accra FX100 M3 40.5"
:cobra-small:King F8 OL 4-PW, Rogue Pro Iron 75 Regular 36"
:cobra-small:
King F8 OL GW-LW Rogue Pro Iron 85 Regular 36"
Lajosi-White2.jpg.2c9fd63a6e850be7bbf7177771c5ed8e.jpg Custom DD201WB Armlock (450g, 8*, 72* Upright, 40"), BGT Stability Shaft
:bridgestone-small: 2020 Tour B RX