Zen Snake

Whats keeping you from playing super game improvement irons????

Our Sponsors

I know it's my own fault but when I go to a SGI iron my game from a 100 yards in goes down the toilet.

Ping G400 , Titleist 917 3 wood , Ping Anser Hybrids 20,23,27, Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW , Ping Glide Wedges 50,54,58 , Scotty Cameron Newport 3

It's not ego. I just don't like the looks.

Even if I could shoot a few strokes less with SGI, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. I rather shank or skull with CB 😄

• Haha 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

4 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

It's not ego. I just don't like the looks.

Even if I could shoot a few strokes less with SGI, I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. I rather shank or skull with CB 😄

I went to SGI clubs and shoot several strokes better, and I'm enjoying it.  I got used to the looks.

Don't fret if you don't like the looks.  Shanks and skulls are still possible with SGI clubs.  😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I went to SGI clubs and shoot several strokes better, and I'm enjoying it.  I got used to the looks.

Don't fret if you don't like the looks.  Shanks and skulls are still possible with SGI clubs.  😆

But probably doesn't feel as good! You need to feel the sting on your hands! 😄

Maybe I'll get used to it someday... people change...

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

My fitting.

I don't need any extra speed or launch.  Low spin hurts my front/back dispersion.  Large soles lead to poor strikes for me.  

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD BB 6X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
Putter ?????
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

6 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

But probably doesn't feel as good! You need to feel the sting on your hands! 😄

Maybe I'll get used to it someday... people change...

Not for these old, arthritic hands.  I still love hitting my Macgregor blades when I pure it, but I don't do that often enough.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Unfortunately, my swing doesn't get along with wide-soled irons.  I say unfortunately, because I could really benefit from the higher launch and forgiveness of SGI's.  The perfect iron for me would launch like a Ping G iron with a ton of offset and a narrow sole.  I've yet to find one like that, other than the Ping Eye 2.  In fact, if Ping re-introduced the Eye 2 with modern lofts, I would buy them in a heart beat.  BTW, I have owned a lot of big framed irons in search of forgiveness:  Ping G10, G15, G30, G.  Titleist AP1.  I always end up going back to irons with thinner soles.

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood and 7/8 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW (Mizuno HMB's when I'm feeling sporty)

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Alot of reasons... aside from being ugly, low spin rates, worse dispersion, Harder to flight, start to get sloppier with contact not to mention less feel for the strike.

Posted (edited)

Everyone's golf bag is their personal "toolbox". Most people who post on a golf website care enough about their game to make sure they have tools that work best for them. I used to worry about having a bag that looked like I had a bit of "player" in me, but those days are gone. I'm in my 60's now, and I want as much help as I can get. 

I play the strongest lofted irons on the market (Rogue X) for a couple of reasons. They go long, high, and straight. I like the look at setup, and the help they give me when my game is a LITTLE off. They aren't magic wands that turn a bad swing into a good shot, but I know they've helped me out there a lot more on the course than my Apex irons did.

I recently snapped the shaft on my G400 max driver, and because of everything going on now, I can't send it to PING for another Alta shaft, so I bought the Cobra Xtreme, and it is just as forgiving, and a little bit longer. I finally took my trusty old Yes! Tracy putter out, and I think I've settled on a PING Tyne over Odyssey double wide. Again, more forgiving.

If there is one more change I might make, it will be replacing my 52* with a CBX wedge. Long story short... fill your personal toolbox with what YOU like, and what works best for YOU. It's your bag, after all.

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 2

:ping-small: G400 Max 9* set at 10* Alta 

:callaway-small: Rogue 15* & 19* Quaranta 50

:callaway-small: Rogue X 4 hybrid Synergy 60  

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 54*SS & 58*SS

:EVNROLL: ER5 33.5" or :yes-small: Tracy 33.5"

5 hours ago, Moose4282 said:

Alot of reasons... aside from being ugly, low spin rates, worse dispersion, Harder to flight, start to get sloppier with contact not to mention less feel for the strike.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I like them better, how can you say worse dispersion, that is one of the top reasons for GI and SGI irons next to distance (but vice a versa to me), also easier to get in the air i.e. flight.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

I *try* and practice all 9 shots when I go to the range. I can usually make that happen with GI irons, but not with SGI. In that sense, they are too forgiving. Of course, that might help me keep the ball in the fairway more and not need a high fade to get around a tree...

• Like 1

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

Just now, jddaigneault said:

I *try* and practice all 9 shots when I go to the range. I can usually make that happen with GI irons, but not with SGI. In that sense, they are too forgiving. Of course, that might help me keep the ball in the fairway more and not need a high fade to get around a tree...

Hi what are you 9 shots and how do you hit them? obviously high fade is one of them.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

Just now, jddaigneault said:

I practiced all "9" shots on a single par 5 on Saturday.  It can be done with SGI irons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Hi what are you 9 shots and how do you hit them? obviously high fade is one of them.

I would assume the Standard 9 shot window:
Low draw, low straight, low fade,
Mid draw, mid straight, mid fade,
High draw, high straight, high fade.
  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thank you. Just want to hit it straight all the time.

• Like 1

Looks are in the eye of the beholder, I like them better, how can you say worse dispersion, that is one of the top reasons for GI and SGI irons next to distance (but vice a versa to me), also easier to get in the air i.e. flight.

Dispersion can also be long and short and with GI irons I am all over the map. I need a 7 iron that flies 175 on average not sometimes 190 which has been my experience with GI clubs. Loved my Rogue Pros at address and feel, hated the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

3 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Dispersion can also be long and short and with GI irons I am all over the map. I need a 7 iron that flies 175 on average not sometimes 190 which has been my experience with GI clubs. Loved my Rogue Pros at address and feel, hated the results.

reason I have not upgraded from my old clubs they are consistent yardages if hit well. So is SGI more consistent than GI for yardages? Which has more hot spots? Thought both of these were to eliminate hot spots, if not the why bother buying them? The only distance argument is total BS to me.

reason I have not upgraded from my old clubs they are consistent yardages if hit well. So is SGI more consistent than GI for yardages? Which has more hot spots? Thought both of these were to eliminate hot spots, if not the why bother buying them? The only distance argument is total BS to me.

Depends on the player. For me GI and SGI irons don’t allow me to control spin and launch well enough which is why I don’t play them. For other players these may work great and that is why they make different style golf clubs. Most people would struggle to hit what I have in my bag and I would say the same for me and other people’s bags.

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

9 minutes ago, viking said:

Hot spots are something that happens with some sgi or gi offerings. It was a knock on the calllaway apex cf16 and for some the original p790s. I had the issue in cf16 but not in the p790 and didn’t notice it in testing i500 on the range. What many consider hot spots is really someone not used to hitting center or compressing the ball on a regular then that one time they do the ball goes further.

consistent yardages is more on the golfer and where they may contact and if they contact the same spot consistently. I have played blades up thru a gi set over the last 20ish years and consistency of distance isn’t an issue in my experience. 

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, viking said:

Yes looks are in the eye of the beholder, But ultimately this is a thread about why I would or wouldn't play them. I can say worse dispersion because of several reason. The main one is front to back dispersion. I find that these type clubs with the thinner “hot face” irons and lower spin rates just aren’t  as consistent with front to back dispersion. Lastly, when i say flighted, to me that doesnt mean getting the ball up. It means flighting the ball higher or lower than normal on demand. As mentioned, by the “9 shots”,  can a SGI club do all nine shots and flight the ball? Yea its possible... but not nearly as easy and predictable.

Edited by Moose4282