TESTERS WANTED! ×

Iron safri

cide

I have been taking lessons for the past three seasons and have got my handicap down from 20 to right around 7-9. I bought cleveland cg reds with PRX flighted 5.5 when I started this jurney. my instructor suggested that I go out and try everything and see what suits my eye. I'm a pretty good ball striker and like to work the ball. If I put a bad swing on the ball i want to know so i can fix it. most of my bad holes are caused by poor course management and going for pins I shouldn't. So here is my list are there some I should add to it or take off? I'm also planing on getting custom fit to find out my specks so I'm comparing apples to apples.

Ping- s56 i15

Mizz- mp 68,67, 63, 53

Nike- vr pro combo, vr mb

Call-x proto, razor

Titel- mb, zb, cb, ap1

Cleveland- cg1

TM- mb,cb,r9

Cobra- s3

Adams-cb1,cb2,mb

Wishon-555m, 555cb

Find a qualified fitter in your area and get him to let you hit everything you want to hit. Find the one that suits your eye the best and go from there with the fitting. If you're not comfortable standing over the ball, the name on the club isn't going to matter.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Update- I got to spend some time trying out clubs today and many have left the list. I also got to swing with the Mizz shaft fitter and my specks were 4 3 5 5 with a 86 swing speed with a 6 iron. It recommended 1. DG s300, 2. PX 5.5 3. KBS stiff.

All impressions are off of swinging 6 irons with the shafts from above.

Ping- s56 i15 hated the i15 felt too mute and did not like the look at address. S56 like the look not as buttery feel as the Mizz but felt "hotter" off the club face and was 5-8 yards longer than the others I tried. S56 still in the runnings.

Mizz- mp 68,67,63,53 I found the 53's to be to gi for my tastes the 63's did not feel as nice as the s56 and offered less forgiveness but all I can say about the 67 are pure butter. It was the nicest feeling iron I hit all day. Too bad it was I into a net so I don't have any true feedback on distance or workability but WOW it felt great. 67 still kin the runnings.

Nike- vr pro combo- hated the sound they made and the feel.

Call-x proto, razor. Razor forged were good but not great found them to be middle of the road. The x prototypes on the other hand were great. I found them to be the most workable iron I tried lost a bit of distance compared to the s56 but it may be worth the added workability.

Titel- mb, zb, cb, mb felt harsh and I was having trouble making solid contact with them. Was unable to try the cb or zb

Cleveland- cg1 way way way way too harsh. Even purred shots felt harsh in my hands.

TM- mb,cb, neither store had a set to demo

Cobra- s3 none to demo

Adams-cb1,cb2,mb the mb's were no where to be found I found the cb1 s lacked distance with out the added benefit of workability and and the cb2's were no linger than the s56 or x prototypes

Wishon-555m, 555cb unable to test today

So as it stands the clubs still in the runnings are

Ping s56, Mizz mp 67, calla x prototypes, and still have many more to try out

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated

Looks like the s56 is the best candidate so far.

Isn't the S3 too much GI for you? Since you like player's irons and even consider muscle-backs.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Looks like the s56 is the best candidate so far.

Isn't the S3 too much GI for you? Since you like player's irons and even consider muscle-backs.

I was looking to try the s3 combo set. I only hit 6 irons and would be lying if I said hitting a mb 4 iron was cake. At this point I just don't know. I think my next trill is going to a fitter to find my " specks" out and go from there.

Try the new Adams A12 irons. Replacement for the CB1. I currently am gaming the CB1, and find them to be comparably long with all of the sets mentioned above. If you are looking for more distance in an iron, consider the TM Burner 2.0, Adams Redline, or Wilson DI11. All Bombers. Good Luck.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I'm overlay concerned with distance. I don't want a set with jacked up lofts. I want my pw to be 47 or 48 to keep gapping consistent with my wedges. I could not believe that some companies are putting out 43 degree pw to me that is an 8-9 iron. For some reason when I tried the cb1 I was having issues making consistent contact. But I will give them another swing when go to the range to see actual ball flight.

If you don't want jacked up lofts don't even look at the Burner 2.0's.

I would howeer give the S3 Pros and the new Cobra combos a look.

I, personally, have the CB2's in my long irons and CB1's in the short irons and love them. But, different strokes for different folks.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I noticed you didn't consider the Titleist AP2's...any particular reason?

I've been playing them for about a season and a half and I've been very happy.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I tried the ap2's at the range along side my cg reds. I found they did not offer anything my current set did not provide. Similar workability, forgiveness and distance. Solid club.

Archived