TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stronger Lofts - is this a Good or Bad Thing

Firebird

On 4/23/2020 at 7:37 PM, Firebird said:

Hi guys,

When I was forced to change my beautiful Wilson Staff Blades I was did extensive research and was shocked to find that in almost every case (blades excluded) the lofts on the irons had become stronger, in some case like Taylormade way stronger.

In the past all my 3 irons have been 21degress - today that is my 4 iron. Taylormade M6 it would be a 5 iron. One of the issue is when you get to wedges, my normal Cleveland PW is 48 degrees, my new one is 44, then the AW is 50 so there is in theory a 2 club step.

As I said I identified this, but several of my golfing buddies did not. They went through the full formal fitting process and got their beautiful new clubs. After the first round the usual comment was - Well obviously they are going to take a few rounds to get used too. After 10 rounds most had stopped hitting the 4-5 irons as they found them very hard to hit consistently. In some cases they had put their old 4-5 back in the bag as they said that they found them much easier to hit. Reason they were the loft was the same as the 6-7 iron in the new set.

Whats are your thoughts? 

Your friends bought the wrong style of irons.

They should’ve looked into how the iron was designed. My Rogue X irons havethe strongest lofts on the market, and are designed to also hit the ball high. I used a 5 hybrid for years, in fact I recommended the club to @ole gray a few months back, that’s how much I loved mine. The Rogue X 5 iron however, is my favorite club in the set. I ditched the 5 hybrid for it. 

Quick story... this Saturday I played in my league. The A players are on white tees (myself and my opponent) the B players were a tee up. One of the B players shotthe yardage for us on a par 3. He said it was 176 for us, 140 for them. Both of us on the whites play the Rogue X, and we hit 5 irons. He was hole high, about 15 feet left of the pin, and I was about 20 feet Long directly behind the flag.

When we got to the green, one of the B players asked what we hit. We told him 5 iron. He said that couldn’t have been playing 175. His friend told him, “you were the one who used the range finder...” 🙄

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

40 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I saw something interesting a few years ago in a review of the Rogue X irons, which made me give them a try, and was the deciding factor for me in my purchase. The man said "if you can't hit a 7 iron 150 yards, give this club a try. If you can already hit it 150, they aren't for you."

That would be two clubs stronger for me. When I tried a Ping G400 5 iron last year I hit a 5 iron 165, on my set a 5 iron would be 150 so 15 yards farther but it was way easier to hit and way more accurate, so much so that I almost got a hole in one with it on the first try. I also hit a G400 7 iron and it was nice. Then felt bad borrowing the clubs as I was in a $10,000 hole in one contest and with his clubs I was hitting way closer to the hole than he was and he was a 18-19 year old who worked at the golf course when I I used his clubs. When I used my clubs he was much better / closer to the whole.

I hit my TNT Silver Eagles from 1985:

SW 90 yards

PW 100 yards

9 iron 110 yards

8 iron 120 yards

7 iron 130 yards

6 iron 140 yards

5 iron 150 yards

4 iron 160 yards

Don't play my 2 or 3 iron anymore.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

5 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Agreed. Soon we will have more wedges than irons.

Not to mention wedges now cost about $150 and wear out in 2-3 years.  I think that for the average person, having to drop $450 just on wedges every couple of years is kind of unrealistic.  I have more disposable income than a lot of people that I know and have no kids and I cringe at the thought of spending that much just on wedges.  I couldnt imagine if I had a few kids and had to try to talk my wife into letting me drop that much money on wedges every 2 years, in addition to trying to get her let me spend $1200 on irons, $500 on a driver or $400 on a putter.  If you want to have nice clubs and want to stay somewhat up to date on technology, its kind of a big committment.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

7 minutes ago, viking said:

That would be two clubs stronger for me. When I tried a Ping G400 5 iron last year I hit a 5 iron 165, on my set a 5 iron would be 150 so 15 yards farther but it was way easier to hit and way more accurate, so much so that I almost got a hole in one with it on the first try. I also hit a G400 7 iron and it was nice. Then felt bad borrowing the clubs as I was in a $10,000 hole in one contest and with his clubs I was hitting way closer to the hole than he was and he was a 18-19 year old who worked at the golf course when I I used his clubs. When I used my clubs he was much better / closer to the whole.

I hit my TNT Silver Eagles from 1985:

SW 90 yards

PW 100 yards

9 iron 110 yards

8 iron 120 yards

7 iron 130 yards

6 iron 140 yards

5 iron 150 yards

4 iron 160 yards

Don't play my 2 or 3 iron anymore.

I went from Apex cf16s. I’m easily a club longer now, and the Rogue X are more forgiving. I was maybe(?) a club longer with the Apex than you are with the Silver Eagles. The Rogue X are easily 1/2 a club longer than the 400’s.

Edited by Grand Stranded

19 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

If I leave loft and length the same but move weight it will still change launch conditions. Now my 7 iron will launch like and 8 or 6. I think the idea is I can get a ball that used to take a 5 iron get there with a 7 that is more consistent, holds greens better, etc. Assuming I understand what your comment is implying. 

I understand and agree with your point.

No what I am saying if they both have the same loft and length (i.e. old 5 iron and new 7 iron) they are the same just BS labeling on the club. But if the amount and placement of the weight or club face design are different than it acts differently eg 5 iron flys like a 7 iron.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:44 PM, Firebird said:

I have know issues as I know how far I hit a ball but I would like to suggest that the Manufactures Performance Centres might want to advise potential customers of the changes.  

They do. It’s under the heading “Specifications”. Every manufacturer lists the lofts, lies, even the offset and length of each club in a set.

If your friends are going to go out and spend $800-1200 on a set of irons, and not do any basic research or testing, I’d say that’s on them, not the manufacturer.

17 minutes ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

Not to mention wedges now cost about $150 and wear out in 2-3 years.  I think that for the average person, having to drop $450 just on wedges every couple of years is kind of unrealistic.  I have more disposable income than a lot of people that I know and have no kids and I cringe at the thought of spending that much just on wedges.  I couldnt imagine if I had a few kids and had to try to talk my wife into letting me drop that much money on wedges every 2 years, in addition to trying to get her let me spend $1200 on irons, $500 on a driver or $400 on a putter.  If you want to have nice clubs and want to stay somewhat up to date on technology, its kind of a big committment.

Wedges wear out in 2-3 years? That is nuts. Are they so super soft now? You can regrove them.

42 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

My biggest issue with the loft jacking is that you have a pitching wedge that is in the low 40 degree range. If you have that you'll almost have to be carrying 4 wedges to tighten the gaps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Do you hit your 9i or hybrid better? 
there’s 14 spots in a bag and whether you have more long irons or short irons/wedges doesn’t matter and wedges are cheaper to buy and most gi/sgi sets offer matching wedges

10 minutes ago, viking said:

Wedges wear out in 2-3 years? That is nuts. Are they so super soft now? You can regrove them.

The grooves on non set wedges wear out faster in general because they get more use than and iron. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My clubs are 35 tears old are like brand new, never re-gripped, still tacky (I wash them and use vinegar with a brush several times a season) but I don't play much eg. go out 15-20 times a year play 20-30 games last few years before that was like 5-10 games a year. Don't play in really hot or really cold weather. Always keep them very clean.

Except one year I did a lot, 1997 and 1998 as I won a season golf pass to a very nice course about an hour away one way.

That's the guideline. You cant regroove them though, unless you are going to refill the face. Those groove sharpener tools dont do anything but dig the grooves deeper, which will do nothing to restore the sharpness of the grooves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I don't follow the argument that OEM's have to strengthen the lofts to adjust for spring faces.  Why would they not keep the length the same then?  They haven't.  The length has also been extended.  It really is putting a 7 iron label on a 6 or 5 iron.

I like your bag setup.  👍 

i had a hard time choosing between what I bought, and what you chose for driver, irons and wedges. They were all my runners up, lol. We have the same 3 wood and putter.

You have excellent taste in clubs... lol.

8 minutes ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

That's the guideline. You cant regroove them though, unless you are going to refill the face. Those groove sharpener tools dont do anything but dig the grooves deeper, which will do nothing to restore the sharpness of the grooves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rick Shiels did video on them he said it worked.

Manufacturers do it because it sells clubs.  Are they selling to knowledgeable customers or people who don't know better?  Probably a mix of both.  There's definitely a level of deception at play in my opinion.  Consumers need to be knowledgeable when they buy something, trusting salesman is rarely a wise move whether it concerns golf clubs, cars, or anything else IMO.

Dave

31 minutes ago, viking said:

Rick Shiels did video on them he said it worked.

My issue with the groove sharpeners is fear if them starting to cut my balls. 

also, cgs arent lower in todays club, that is a total myth. Some of the the irons in the early 2000s still have some of the lowest cgs today.

21 minutes ago, Moose4282 said:

My issue with the groove sharpeners is fear if them starting to cut my balls. 

also, cgs arent lower in todays club, that is a total myth. Some of the the irons in the early 2000s still have some of the lowest cgs today.

Yes Rick noticed the same thing but he admitted he went overboard in his video.

On your second point I noticed that posting as well. But you can visibly see the different weights now internally and externally and they did not have that before, so why advertise these different metals and fillings make up if it does not change the center of gravity and ability to improve launch of the ball?

I read it here somewhere where the Spaulding Executive clubs still have more or better weight placement cg than today's clubs.

Yes, I now carry 4 wedges, 44, 48, 50, and 54. I was using my new 44 degree pitching wedge to chip but started carrying my really old Cleveland 588 Rusty Steel Shaft. Grooves are obviously not what they were when new but still it is amazing the spin I can get even on short chips.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

2 hours ago, viking said:

Yes Rick noticed the same thing but he admitted he went overboard in his video.

On your second point I noticed that posting as well. But you can visibly see the different weights now internally and externally and they did not have that before, so why advertise these different metals and fillings make up if it does not change the center of gravity and ability to improve launch of the ball?

Because its marketing... they need a story to tell so people buy them?

What other evidence do you have that the weight placement and club head centre of gravity has not changed in many years? You list one club but are there others?

3 hours ago, dthrog00 said:

Manufacturers do it because it sells clubs.  Are they selling to knowledgeable customers or people who don't know better?  Probably a mix of both.  There's definitely a level of deception at play in my opinion.  Consumers need to be knowledgeable when they buy something, trusting salesman is rarely a wise move whether it concerns golf clubs, cars, or anything else IMO.

Dave

What’s deceptive? 

The knowledgeable consumer on any product is going to do some research, make an informed decision, some will do more than others but some form of research will be done. 

The ones who don’t know better are probably also the ones who don’t care about lofts, materials used, don’t care about cg location. They want a club that goes farther than the one they have. They don’t care how it does it or why. 

none of this is unique to golf. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, viking said:

What other evidence do you have that the weight placement and club head centre of gravity has not changed in many years? You list one club but are there others?

Maltby playabilty factor, or mpf measures the Vertical and horizontal cg.

https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What’s deceptive? 

The knowledgeable consumer on any product is going to do some research, make an informed decision, some will do more than others but some form of research will be done. 

The ones who don’t know better are probably also the ones who don’t care about lofts, materials used, don’t care about cg location. They want a club that goes farther than the one they have. They don’t care how it does it or why. 

none of this is unique to golf. 

Which is fine except thats not really whats happening. A clubfitter is supposed to put you in whats best for your game. They are professionals. Most consumers get sucked into the distance numbers and its up to the clubfitters to explain to them WHY its happening and WHY it may not be best for them. Some clubfitters do, and some will not, which is a shame. 

You say its on the consumers to be educated.. ok yea maybe but its still ethically not right. When we go to the doc we expect him to give us medicines to actually feel better and have no motive to make extra money and possibly make us feel worse by pushing the wrong meds. Is thats the consumers fault for not being educated there?

1 hour ago, viking said:

Moose provided you with a link, but I'll take it a step farther and paste some MPF data.  This is why some of us keep saying it's all marketing BS.

Here we have the Titleist T400
image.png.4916f47160d2c93f33e1776c02b71708.png

And following that, the GI iron from Titleist when I started playing golf, the DCI 981
image.png.2e317963e048bf7c2686509b7206fda0.png

Or, a whole pile of Callaway irons from late 90s and early 2000s, most of which had 26* 5 irons and 46* PW, I believe, said without checking their std specs.
image.png.a4391078dfb70ae40fb9bba411abf7ea.png

And finally, a look at a couple Pings.  The G710 compared to the Godfather of cavity backs, the Eye2:
image.png.bdd4c2fdcd7bd9deea2059e2fcd67e97.png

image.png

Edited by NRJyzr
edited because the Eye2 replicated itself!! Hack!

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

10 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Moose provided you with a link, but I'll take it a step farther and paste some MPF data.  This is why some of us keep saying it's all marketing BS.

And following that, the GI iron from Titleist when I started playing golf, the DCI 981

Or, a whole pile of Callaway irons from late 90s and early 2000s, most of which had 26* 5 irons and 46* PW, I believe, said without checking their std specs.

And finally, a look at a couple Pings.  The G710 compared to the Godfather of cavity backs, the Eye2:

image.png

Perfect, thank you! Should be noted if you are trying to interpret that, where it says VCOG- vertical center of gravity, the measurment is from the bottom of the club or sole. So the lower the number the lower the cg.

13 minutes ago, Moose4282 said:

Perfect, thank you! Should be noted if you are trying to interpret that, where it says VCOG- vertical center of gravity, the measurment is from the bottom of the club or sole. So the lower the number the lower the cg.

Thank you you are very knowledgeable. It will take a bit to review and understand.

27 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

image.png

Thank you you are very knowledgeable. It will take a bit to review and understand.

"It's all marketing" completely ignores the vast amounts of R&D that companies put into their designs and tech. 

This is MGS. There might be an article or two (or 57) related to club tech and design on the site that would be far more informative and helpful than posting "it's marketing BS".

Don't like the number stamped on the bottom of new clubs? eBay is littered with old sets up for sale from people who realized new clubs were helping them play better. Go buy some of those and enjoy.  

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

14 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

"It's all marketing" completely ignores the vast amounts of R&D that companies put into their designs and tech. 

This is MGS. There might be an article or two (or 57) related to club tech and design on the site that would be far more informative and helpful than posting "it's marketing BS".

Don't like the number stamped on the bottom of new clubs? eBay is littered with old sets up for sale from people who realized new clubs were helping them play better. Go buy some of those and enjoy.  

Please tell me what has all this extensive R&D developed besides new paint schemes?

9 minutes ago, Moose4282 said:

Please tell me what has all this extensive R&D developed besides new paint schemes?

Sorry, not my job to educate you. I know that sounds like a harsh reply, however there is a wealth of information on this website from the staff and contributors who speak directly with OEMs about why newer materials, different weighting, center of gravity, etc. all dictate what the lofts on the specific clubs are. MGS is far more than a forum that "gives away free stuff". Take a few minutes and go back through the articles discussing newer iron releases and I'm sure you'll find plenty of info there.

Or, you can continue to say things like "it's marketing BS and new paint". Your choice.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game