6 Iron 27 37.625" 62°
7 Iron 30 37.0" 62.5°
8 Iron 34 36.5" 63°
9 Iron 39 36.0" 63.5°
PW 44 35.75" 64°
DW 50 35.5" 64.5°
SW 56 35.5" 64.5°

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Those are more of a hybrid style set right?
If so, they’re probably not as jacked as it seems since they’ll get the up more than a traditional iron of the same loft for most people. I do not like that 6* gap on paper between the wedges, but that all depends on how you hit them and if the gaps make sense for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

21 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What’s deceptive? 

The knowledgeable consumer on any product is going to do some research, make an informed decision, some will do more than others but some form of research will be done. 

The ones who don’t know better are probably also the ones who don’t care about lofts, materials used, don’t care about cg location. They want a club that goes farther than the one they have. They don’t care how it does it or why. 

none of this is unique to golf. 

In my opinion the golf manufacturer's strategy is to continue to make the launch monitor demo irons stronger lofted over time to demonstrate to the golfer, "This 7 iron goes longer than yours!".  I'm not saying it is outright deceptive, but it isn't necessarily honest either.  There's a lot of people who aren't knowledgeable enough to understand 7 irons vary greatly.  

The golf companies have to drive sales to make money for their shareholders.  I get that.  Personally, I'm not interested in those clubs but have nothing against those who are. 

Dave

1 hour ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

So, is it about marketing?  Yes.  Is it ALL marketing?  I used to think so but I dont so much anymore because Ive seen how jacked lofts have allowed me to play the best golf of my life as Im nearing age 40.  Ive also seen by playing vintage clubs what a game changer it can be, if you know how to use it.

I just turned 40 a few months ago.  I feel great at 40.  I've been hitting the exercise bike hard and feel like I'm in much better shape than I was at 35.  Being 40 is ok 🙂

Dave

4 minutes ago, dthrog00 said:

In my opinion the golf manufacturer's strategy is to continue to make the launch monitor demo irons stronger lofted over time to demonstrate to the golfer, "This 7 iron goes longer than yours!".  I'm not saying it is outright deceptive, but it isn't necessarily honest either.  There's a lot of people who aren't knowledgeable enough to understand 7 irons vary greatly.  

The golf companies have to drive sales to make money for their shareholders.  I get that.  Personally, I'm not interested in those clubs but have nothing against those who are. 

Dave

Loft jacking is a crock. It was deceptive of manufacturers to do it, but it wouldn’t have worked if buyers were dumb enough to be fooled, knowingly or unwittingly. There was no need to change the loft versus stamped numbers, I’ve heard all the launch BS. New irons may launch higher, but that didn’t make it necessary to change lofts. The driver is the only club in the bag where more distance obviously helps. Why players wanted more distance from their irons is beyond me, all you need to know is how far you hit each one.

But this is a debate that’s been beat to death, and most players already know better, or they’ve rationalized the BS. The horse is out of the barn, it’s not going to change - so no need to keep beating...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I just turned 40 a few months ago.  I feel great at 40.  I've been hitting the exercise bike hard and feel like I'm in much better shape than I was at 35.  Being 40 is ok
Dave
Amen. I wouldn't want to be 20 again. I was a jerk when I was 20.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Okay, I quickly hit 3 shots with the jacked loft Launchers. No warm up just hit 3 shots quickly with each club. To me spin and descent angles are pretty good.

IMG_0161.thumb.JPG.771d1f17fcda9383724d8f37ad50c64f.JPG

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Loft jacking is a crock. It was deceptive of manufacturers to do it, but it wouldn’t have worked if buyers were dumb enough to be fooled, knowingly or unwittingly. There was no need to change the loft versus stamped numbers, I’ve heard all the launch BS. New irons may launch higher, but that didn’t make it necessary to change lofts. The driver is the only club in the bag where more distance obviously helps. Why players wanted more distance from their irons is beyond me, all you need to know is how far you hit each one.
But this is a debate that’s been beat to death, and most players already know better, or they’ve rationalized the BS. The horse is out of the barn, it’s not going to change - so no need to keep beating...
Yeah but if they didn't change the lofts, everyone would be hitting skyballs that balloon.
What's wrong with hitting the ball longer if the trajectory is no higher?
Again, if you think left jacking is a scam, just buy blades or keep your old clubs. It seems pretty simple to me.
I like hitting the ball longer, shooting lower scores and having more fun.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

14 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Okay, I quickly hit 3 shots with the jacked loft Launchers. No warm up just hit 3 shots quickly with each club. To me spin and descent angles are pretty good.

Nice, thanks for sharing the numbers.  Seems like 8 and 9 iron has big gap, but the numbers are good.  Enjoy the game!

Dave

Nice, thanks for sharing the numbers.  Seems like 8 and 9 iron has big gap, but the numbers are good.  Enjoy the game! Dave 

Here is normal gapping after warm up. The driver was actually a different 2 hybrid.

IMG_0147.JPG

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Here is normal gapping after warm up. The driver was actually a different 2 hybrid. 
IMG_0147.thumb.JPG.3ec646c6f1db7c2f3c9f476dc59190c7.JPG

Those gaps looks pretty good.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Those gaps looks pretty good.

I think so too. The thing is the gapping is good, the spin numbers are good and the angle of descent is good. So in my opinion for my skill level jacked lofts are a good thing.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, dthrog00 said:

Dave

Golf manufacturers are in the business of selling clubs. The consumer has the choice to buy or not buy. If they don’t buy the manufacturer stops making the product because there’s no market for it. If a consumer chooses to not educate themselves on product that’s not an issue, it’s a choice and it doesn’t apply just to golf. 

There are members in various forums that are more educated on club designs, lofts and golf i general than the average consumer. They also buy these products because it’s makes the game easier and more enjoyable.

Everyone complaining about manufacturer and fitter being deceptive all seem to forget as technology changes designs change and when designs change specs change. The clubs from the 60s are different than the 50s, the 70/ from the 60s and so on. Unless you back to the day golf started you aren’t playing traditional lofts and you are playing traditional balls, you aren’t dressing traditionally. 

It simple don’t like something don’t buy it, don’t want to use something don’t use it, don’t like a certain style piece of clothing don’t wear it. Don’t Iike a certain color shoe don’t wear them.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Golf manufacturers are in the business of selling clubs. The consumer has the choice to buy or not buy. If they don’t buy the manufacturer stops making the product because there’s no market for it. If a consumer chooses to not educate themselves on product that’s not an issue, it’s a choice and it doesn’t apply just to golf. 

There are members in various forums that are more educated on club designs, lofts and golf i general than the average consumer. They also buy these products because it’s makes the game easier and more enjoyable.

Everyone complaining about manufacturer and fitter being deceptive all seem to forget as technology changes designs change and when designs change specs change. The clubs from the 60s are different than the 50s, the 70/ from the 60s and so on. Unless you back to the day golf started you aren’t playing traditional lofts and you are playing traditional balls, you aren’t dressing traditionally. 

It simple don’t like something don’t buy it, don’t want to use something don’t use it, don’t like a certain style piece of clothing don’t wear it. Don’t Iike a certain color shoe don’t wear them.

That’s why I only wear black shoes to funerals. I just don’t like them!

I’m happy with my AP2s which have 4 degree gaps up through the 6 iron, and I realize that when the time comes my lofts are likely to change. I’ll be fine with that as long as the performance (launch, spin, dispersion, more than distance) lines up and the gaps fit right.

I’ve already added another wedge for versatility in bounce and because I like using them around the green more than my AP2 GW, so I’m a little bunched up there anyway. The new T100s would slot in nicely. Haha

59 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I'm just expressing my opinion.  If you disagree that's fine.

Dave

3 hours ago, Wedgie said:

IMG_0161.thumb.JPG.771d1f17fcda9383724d8f37ad50c64f.JPG

You are playing the right clubs For you.

3 hours ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

Yeah but if they didn't change the lofts, everyone would be hitting skyballs that balloon.
What's wrong with hitting the ball longer if the trajectory is no higher?
Again, if you think left jacking is a scam, just buy blades or keep your old clubs. It seems pretty simple to me.
I like hitting the ball longer, shooting lower scores and having more fun.

People still dont get this simple concept. Your ball flight didnt change, the number on the bottom did. If you have a 38 degree will launch the same wether or not an “8” is stamped on it or a “9”. So why change the numbers? Whyyyyyy? Its so they can say this 9 flies farther than your 9.  Buy it!

7 minutes ago, Moose4282 said:

People still dont get this simple concept. Your ball flight didnt change, the number on the bottom did. If you have a 38 degree will launch the same wether or not an “8” is stamped on it or a “9”. So why change the numbers? Whyyyyyy? Its so they can say this 9 flies farther than your 9.  Buy it!

Simple physics one ball flies farther than the other means they have different ball flights. Also a simple fact, 99% of golf clubs in play are not the same length. Simply put you have more control over a shorter club. Which brings me to the fact that it simply isn’t only marketing bs.

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

28 minutes ago, Moose4282 said:

People don't get this simple concept because it's apparently not that simple.  Yes, my 9i flies further than my old 9i.  In fact it flies about the same distance as my old 7i... both are 33º.  However, the ball flight did indeed change.  Yes, I'm hitting the ball the same distance as my old 7i, but I'm hitting that distance with a 9i trajectory not a 7i trajectory.  Now, who wouldn't want to hit their 9i into a green instead of their 7i??  There is more to stronger lofts on clubs than just the number on the bottom of the club.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Simple physics one ball flies farther than the other means they have different ball flights. Also a simple fact, 99% of golf clubs in play are not the same length. Simply put you have more control over a shorter club. Which brings me to the fact that it simply isn’t only marketing bs.

See still dont get it. The SAME CLUB....

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

People don't get this simple concept because it's apparently not that simple.  Yes, my 9i flies further than my old 9i.  In fact it flies about the same distance as my old 7i... both are 33º.  However, the ball flight did indeed change.  Yes, I'm hitting the ball the same distance as my old 7i, but I'm hitting that distance with a 9i trajectory not a 7i trajectory.  Now, who wouldn't want to hit their 9i into a green instead of their 7i??  There is more to stronger lofts on clubs than just the number on the bottom of the club.

“Now, who wouldn't want to hit their 9i into a green instead of their 7i??”

Except that 9 iron has the loft stronger than an 8 iron... so are you REALLY hitting a 9 iron? Or are you hitting a 7 iron disguised as a 9? 

id love to see loft stamped on the bottom- what will it hurt?? it will never happen... 

8 hours ago, dthrog00 said:

I'm just expressing my opinion.  If you disagree that's fine.

Dave

I do and that’s why I expressed mine.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 hours ago, Moose4282 said:

“Now, who wouldn't want to hit their 9i into a green instead of their 7i??”

Except that 9 iron has the loft stronger than an 8 iron... so are you REALLY hitting a 9 iron? Or are you hitting a 7 iron disguised as a 9? 

id love to see loft stamped on the bottom- what will it hurt?? it will never happen... 

Well not to many people want that. Ben hogan tried it and have now since gone back to numbers. The base majority of golfers have no idea what loft is on their irons and they don’t care. The only thing that care about is that when the pull an iron it goes the distance they expect it to. I play older guys that hit their 7i further now than they did when I started playing with them and yes it’s because the shafts are longer and the lofts are stronger. All they know is that new irons go farther and the only thing they care to know is that they can play the game still they know what club to pull for what distance even if that means they land on the green and the ball rolls off because they lasered the flag at X distance and that’s the club they are using. They don’t account for roll or where the pin is. They have all been playing golf as long as I’ve been alive yet they still play the same way every time out on the same 3 courses. When it’s all over they go in have a beer or two talk about all kinds of subjects and the meet up on the next scheduled tee time 3x/week. In the 20+ years I’ve played with them not one said the manufacturers are taking advantage of them. 

On 4/27/2020 at 4:31 PM, Grand Stranded said:

Your friends bought the wrong style of irons.

They should’ve looked into how the iron was designed. My Rogue X irons havethe strongest lofts on the market, and are designed to also hit the ball high. I used a 5 hybrid for years, in fact I recommended the club to @ole gray a few months back, that’s how much I loved mine. The Rogue X 5 iron however, is my favorite club in the set. I ditched the 5 hybrid for it. 

Quick story... this Saturday I played in my league. The A players are on white tees (myself and my opponent) the B players were a tee up. One of the B players shotthe yardage for us on a par 3. He said it was 176 for us, 140 for them. Both of us on the whites play the Rogue X, and we hit 5 irons. He was hole high, about 15 feet left of the pin, and I was about 20 feet Long directly behind the flag.

When we got to the green, one of the B players asked what we hit. We told him 5 iron. He said that couldn’t have been playing 175. His friend told him, “you were the one who used the range finder...” 🙄

The Rogue X 5-iron is hotter than a 2 dollar pistol! 💣

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

There are a lot of hills to make your stand on.

"Jacked lofts are all marketing BS and are dumb" on a forum filled with golfers who eat up data and testing designed to test actual performance probably isn't that hill. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 hours ago, Moose4282 said:

Apparently you didn't get understand the simple evaluation I did at a recent fitting, and outlined in post #9.  I compared my old 34* club with a new 30* club.  They both launched at the same angle, descended at the same angle, but the new club went further.  It seems obvious that a new 34* club will launch higher than both of the clubs I tested, a new 34* will launch higher than the old 34*.   The launch angle was significantly influenced by the change in technology, not all 34* clubs launch at the same angle.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

21 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Apparently you didn't get understand the simple evaluation I did at a recent fitting, and outlined in post #9.  I compared my old 34* club with a new 30* club.  They both launched at the same angle, descended at the same angle, but the new club went further.  It seems obvious that a new 34* club will launch higher than both of the clubs I tested, a new 34* will launch higher than the old 34*.   The launch angle was significantly influenced by the change in technology, not all 34* clubs launch at the same angle.

Comparative trajectory isn't all that big of a deal.  There have always been higher trajectory irons, and lower trajectory irons (well, possibly not if you go back to the early days of golf, LOL).  Unless you were playing the absolute highest trajectory irons available at any given moment in golf history, you could always have found another set that hit higher.  If you naturally hit a lower to mid trajectory, it can be lovely.  If you already hit the ball higher, not so much. 

My perspective is that if you're hitting your iron set too high, perhaps it's not the iron set for you and you should find something that hits the ball lower, instead of delofting the set to match an arbitrary trajectory ideal.  If you hit the ball too low, do you increase lofts, or do you find an iron set that hits the ball higher?  If you had a driver that you had trouble keeping down, would you find one in that model at 6*?  Or would you look for a driver that natively hits the ball on a lower trajectory, more suited to your game?

The club number is irrelevant in the physics of the golf shot.  The golf shot is all about launch angle, ball speed, and spin rates (stating the obvious alert).  The ideals don't change relative to the club numbers on the sole; for each swing, a 36* club will fly X distance, and in theory, it will fly that distance for that swing consistently.  Why should you be more interested in it if the club says "8" on the sole than if it says "7" on the sole?   Or even a "6".  It's the same club in each instance.  You're not going to get more out of it. 

If all these irons fly so much higher, what happens at the bottom of the set?  Shouldn't the set gap wedges be unusable by now? 

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

There are a lot of hills to make your stand on.

"Jacked lofts are all marketing BS and are dumb" on a forum filled with golfers who eat up data and testing designed to test actual performance probably isn't that hill. 

There's a certain irony to that, but perhaps not the one you think.  🙂

Personally, when Tom Wishon says "it's still a dishonest business practice to keep lowering lofts and justify it as being needed" I think I'll take him at his word.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

1 minute ago, NRJyzr said:

There's a certain irony to that, but perhaps not the one you think.  🙂

Personally, when Tom Wishon says "it's still a dishonest business practice to keep lowering lofts and justify it as being needed" I think I'll take him at his word.

So you'll take Wishon, a guy who still needs to sell a product, at his word but not other designers and R&D folks (who also need to sell a product).

Got it.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

So you'll take Wishon, a guy who still needs to sell a product, at his word but not other designers and R&D folks (who also need to sell a product).

Got it.

I haven't seen anything from other designers.  The promotional materials put out for each club aren't written by R&D.

16 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Comparative trajectory isn't all that big of a deal.  There have always been higher trajectory irons, and lower trajectory irons (well, possibly not if you go back to the early days of golf, LOL).  Unless you were playing the absolute highest trajectory irons available at any given moment in golf history, you could always have found another set that hit higher.  If you naturally hit a lower to mid trajectory, it can be lovely.  If you already hit the ball higher, not so much. 

My perspective is that if you're hitting your iron set too high, perhaps it's not the iron set for you and you should find something that hits the ball lower, instead of delofting the set to match an arbitrary trajectory ideal.  If you hit the ball too low, do you increase lofts, or do you find an iron set that hits the ball higher?  If you had a driver that you had trouble keeping down, would you find one in that model at 6*?  Or would you look for a driver that natively hits the ball on a lower trajectory, more suited to your game?

The club number is irrelevant in the physics of the golf shot.  The golf shot is all about launch angle, ball speed, and spin rates (stating the obvious alert).  The ideals don't change relative to the club numbers on the sole; for each swing, a 36* club will fly X distance, and in theory, it will fly that distance for that swing consistently.  Why should you be more interested in it if the club says "8" on the sole than if it says "7" on the sole?   Or even a "6".  It's the same club in each instance.  You're not going to get more out of it. 

If all these irons fly so much higher, what happens at the bottom of the set?  Shouldn't the set gap wedges be unusable by now? 

I was responding only to the claim that @Moose4282 made:

If you have a 38 degree will launch the same wether or not an “8” is stamped on it or a “9”.

which is simply not accurate.  I took the "number stamped on the bottom" completely out of my response in order to make it clear that his claim was inaccurate.  As far as how the new irons will influence the gaps at the short end of the bag, that's a question I have too, I don't have a ready answer.  That's something to work through, assuming I like the new clubs well enough to keep them in play.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia