TESTERS WANTED! ×

7 woods

Hoyoymac

Need some help, advice and some ideas.

Here is my issue:

The most challenging clubs in my bag for me to hit from the fairway or rough are 4 iron, 4 hybrid, and 4 wood. Yes, I’ve been fit for all of the clubs, so not trying to start a “just get fitted” response avalanche. My trajectory on all my clubs tend to be low as I tend to de-loft the club and play with a draw most of the time.  But on these clubs they are low bullets at best.  From the tee is a different story as I can get height on them most of the time. It is rare for me to hit any of these clubs in a round more than once or twice. Mainly due to a lack of confidence with them. Most comfortable with the 4 hybrid, Titleist 818 H1 21deg.  With 16g weight cartridge set at maximum fade and I still draw the ball with it. Titleist TMB 4 iron, Tour Edge Exotics EX10 4 wood.

My current GHIN index is 8.5 and I have played 162 times in the last 12 months. So I play a lot and practice quite a bit too. Arccos Caddie says my smart distance with Driver is 242 yards. Ping G410 LST 10.5 set at small + with the Alta CB 55 Red stiff shaft. Driver swing speed is 97 MPH. 6 iron is my usual 170 - 180 yard club with good height.  5 iron is lower height than the 6 and more runout but more reliable than the trio of 4’s.

What I’m trying to solve:

I really need a 200 yard club with some height.  I can hit low runners no problem.  If I have any kind of long carry over a hazard or water I won’t try it if I can’t hit my 6 iron. 

I hit a friend’s 7 wood the other day and just smoked it with lots of height.  

What I want to know:

I’m curious anyone else using a 7 wood?  How is it working for you?  Why do you use it.   Which one are using? 

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

I am currently using just 3 wood lofted to 16.5 degrees so please take my advice with little reservation. 

From your description it sounds like you are the perfect type of golfer for fairway woods. Generally speaking fairway woods are better for sweepers/people with  shallow angle of attack. If you deliver little dynamic loft and play a draw, you can only benefit from clubs with lower and more rearward CG - fairway woods and hybrids that are by design and size close to fairway wood (for example Titleist 818 H1 you currently play).

Personally I am quite the opposite so I prefer utility irons and hybrids that are closer to an iron.

For more info I suggest you watch the video TXG released called ''Why in the bag? Jose Angel Jimenez''. Jose has still quite decent swing speed but because he has very round and shallow swing, he is very good fairway wood player. I think fairway wood should be better for you because hybrids tend to be more upright and generally slightly more draw biased than fairway woods. Unless you choose bonded hosel fairwa woods I suggest you rather choose lower lofted fairway wood and loft it (hence opening face angle) up using hosel settings. 

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

It doesn’t matter what other people use. If it fits in your game and gives you the performance you are looking for, by all means game it. I carry a 3 and 5 wood, and if a 7 was better for me than a 4/5i I would have no shame in playing it. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I sorta switch back and forth between a old TM V-Steel 7 wood and an old Adams Boxer 19* hybrid. For me it is sorta love hate on both. I have had that old 7 wood some 15 years and have hit some great shots over the years with it. As I have aged I have had to switch shafts 3 times. I got it it was darn near new and it had a stock TM Stiff in it. That shaft separated at the head and I put a UST Pro Force Gold 65 in it. A couple of years ago it got too stiff for me so I ended up putting a stock TM regular in it. One just has to find a club that works for them

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

13 minutes ago, John W Sutch said:

Have 2 seven woods in the garage. Currently play 3 and 5 woods then drop to 4 hybrid. Through trial and error is what works for me............at this time.

Trial and error that is where you find it---- Never Ever be afraid to experiment. Experimentation is a huge part of fun of the game for me now

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

The Heavenwood is the club that's lasted the longest in my bag. Easy to hit off the deck, and very easy to get up there launch-wise and land soft. I gladly bag that instead of a hybrid.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've never really contemplated a 7 wood, but perhaps I should. I'm more accurate with my 5 wood than my 4 iron or 4 hybrid, so a 7 wood could be good for my game.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I too play a 7 wood. It's actually a Taylormade '17 M2 High Launch 5, but it's 21*. I've just always had problems with hybrids. It fits nicely between my 18* 5 wood and my 5 Iron.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

I dont play a 7-wood but I probably should.  I love my 5-wood and absolutely smoke the ball with it but I sometimes struggle to get height with my 5-iron.  Ive tried a 4H but I suck with hybrids.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

The past few days I’ve done some internet searching and found a couple of decent deals on some used clubs to try.  A Tour Edge XCG-7 in 21 deg with a Stiff Fujikura Fuel 60 shaft and a Titleist 818 H1 in 25 deg with a Mitsubishi CK 60 Red Regular are on their way.  

Grand total for this experiment: about $150 including a couple of head covers, tax & shipping.

I appreciate the comments and advice on doing some experimentation on my own as I’ve been fitted several times now for clubs and it has done wonders for my Driver, irons and wedges. Not so much for my fairway woods and hybrids though.  

Looking forward to seeing if I can get the extra height needed on my shots from the fairway and rough for the long carries over hazards that are giving me trouble.

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

Alright you bunch of enablers, you talked me into it.  After reading this thread, I decided to see if I could find a nice, cheap 7-wood on Ebay and I found a Ping G10  7-wood 22* with an r-flex shaft.  It says that its a, "soft regular" but whatever.  The best part of all, it only cost me about $35.

The only problem is that after that, I stumbled upon a vintage Ping Anser, brass head for $35, so intead of just spending $35, I ended up spending $80. LOL

Im excited about it though.  I need a reliable 180 yard club that I can hit high shots with and this one should be it.  About the Anser, well, I used to have an Anser that was one of the last years where they were 100% made in the US and I let my father borrow it one day and its had a home in his bag ever since.  Id always wanted to pick up another Anser that was 100% made in the US like that one was but just never got around to it.  Well, Ive got one now.  It looks like that putter will need to be cleaned up a bit but it doesnt look to have bag chatter, which is half the battle, especially on a vintage club.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

27 minutes ago, Hoyoymac said:

The past few days I’ve done some internet searching and found a couple of decent deals on some used clubs to try.  A Tour Edge XCG-7 in 21 deg with a Stiff Fujikura Fuel 60 shaft and a Titleist 818 H1 in 25 deg with a Mitsubishi CK 60 Red Regular are on their way.  

Grand total for this experiment: about $150 including a couple of head covers, tax & shipping.

I appreciate the comments and advice on doing some experimentation on my own as I’ve been fitted several times now for clubs and it has done wonders for my Driver, irons and wedges. Not so much for my fairway woods and hybrids though.  

Looking forward to seeing if I can get the extra height needed on my shots from the fairway and rough for the long carries over hazards that are giving me trouble.

Glad to see Im not the only one.  I hate to drink alone.

1 hour ago, Hoyoymac said:

I can't recommend a 7wood enough.  I'm a slower swing speed than you--aboit 87-89 driver

Last year I was fit at PING for the long game.  And I ended up with a G410 7 and 9 wood.  The 7 wood is my money club.  I can hit it with confidence anywhere from 165 to 180 Depending on full swing or choking down a bit.  I may actually drop the 9 w In favor of a 5 wood, as my 5 hybrid gets me about 160.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

My number look a lot like yours. My 200 club is a 5 wood. I do have a 7 wood in the bag too, but that's my 180 club. I don't carry a 5 iron as I'm too inconsistent with it but the 7 wood is money. Goes 180, straight, and fairly high. For me, a great club into the green which a 5 iron would never do (in my hands).

I also use it for holes where I need a certain spot off the tee box due to potential hazards with longer clubs off the tee.

Should also mention I have a heavenwood and a divine 9 also though they are not in the bag now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

6 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

You beat me to it! Assuming you got it from 3Balls, I had it in my cart over the weekend but bought some new wedges locally instead.  Hope it works for you.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

If that Tour Edge does not work, I might suggest looking at older 7 wood heads.  Your game sounds quite a bit like mine and what I needed was more spin.  Unfortunately most of the newer heads have gone lower spin.  I have had a 2007 Burner 7 wood in my bag for years and I just cannot find anything better (not sure why I try).

Used to rock a 7W when I started to actually get into golf, replacing a 3Hy. Loved it. Had the height characteristics, and didn't hook it (nearly as often) as the hybrid or iron. Hit it the same distance, just flight characteristics were different.

A good video you might want to watch from the boys at TXG.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

On 4/26/2020 at 8:19 PM, JDHolmes said:

My number look a lot like yours. My 200 club is a 5 wood. I do have a 7 wood in the bag too, but that's my 180 club. I don't carry a 5 iron as I'm too inconsistent with it but the 7 wood is money. Goes 180, straight, and fairly high. For me, a great club into the green which a 5 iron would never do (in my hands).

I also use it for holes where I need a certain spot off the tee box due to potential hazards with longer clubs off the tee.

Should also mention I have a heavenwood and a divine 9 also though they are not in the bag now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That sounds like the boat Im in.  I dont get a ton of carry with my 5-iron and Im kind of inconsistent with it and I really need a reliable 180-yard club.  Supposedly my 7-wood is going to be here today and Im pretty pumped about it.

I've never considered a 7w but know plenty who play them.  I really like the ball flight and distance my G400 3w and 5w yield.  I'm finding the 5w getting about half the use of the 3w and that may be due to the courses/yardages I play combined with the fact that I really love hitting irons more.  My 5w typically gets me 170-185 yards which is my 5i range.  I bought the 3w first, to fill the gap my old PE2 2i/3i offered... and liked it so much I decided to add another fairway wood (never played higher than 3w before).  Until I can no longer hit mid irons with confidence, I don't see a 7w in my quiver.

I see many in the thread have opted for the buy used and trial path.  That's what is so fun about our sport.  There is so much inventory of quality used clubs in the right configuration to choose from.  Worst that can happen is you resell and maybe lose $25 in shipping costs.  Best thing is that you find a new trusted friend for quarters on the dollar. 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Look what came in the mail today!  This beauty looks brand new.  There is one tiny little ding on the very edge of the crown that looks like a manufacturing issue because there is paint over it.  Other than that if this club was hit more than 3 times I would be surprised.  The head cover is brand new as far as I can tell. $56.15 for the club and head cover including tax and shipping.  I’m excited to hit it tomorrow!

F3710FEC-4585-45BF-B067-0E1CF38CA148.jpeg

EA0ED333-C3B9-436F-86F9-D387F4C20B80.jpeg

238FC37C-4D7B-40A6-90B8-7FEE86B359FA.jpeg

9ADFCF07-0F38-4972-B3C9-1AEA61A3F35B.jpeg

E717F755-527B-4ED8-992B-C25A2AB87035.jpeg

486E8A01-629F-47D1-ABEC-0628DFCFB2DC.jpeg

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

7 woods can work great for some, they are good for a high approach shot to the green. I think you run into trouble if it starts ballooning.  I think hybrids are better for the average guy.

Dave

Wow those Tour Exotics look great.  I used to play a 7-wood back in the day (Cobra with a significant offset).  I still have it in the garage, haven't hit it in years.  I ended up taking it out of the bag because I discovered that I hit hybrids better.  Hope the OP finds a 7-wood he's happy with.  Having confidence in what you are hitting makes such a difference.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

Took my new club to the range and was very happy.  Took it to the course and used it four times today, all with good effect.  It’s early I know, but this could be the beginning of something for me.  Still got lots to learn about how and when to hit the club for different situations and how far it will normally carry.  Waiting on the 5 hybrid to arrive either today or Monday.  Pretty excited so far.

Yeah, it has a few more marks on it too from my range session.  But, now it feels like it is mine.

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

Look what came in the mail today!  This beauty looks brand new.  There is one tiny little ding on the very edge of the crown that looks like a manufacturing issue because there is paint over it.  Other than that if this club was hit more than 3 times I would be surprised.  The head cover is brand new as far as I can tell. $56.15 for the club and head cover including tax and shipping.  I’m excited to hit it tomorrow!

F3710FEC-4585-45BF-B067-0E1CF38CA148.thumb.jpeg.111249e88f048a65f76d5e806eef7d2a.jpeg
EA0ED333-C3B9-436F-86F9-D387F4C20B80.thumb.jpeg.f602a55ca36f45ac84a90baead490cc8.jpeg
238FC37C-4D7B-40A6-90B8-7FEE86B359FA.thumb.jpeg.abe0ab409145e09955363f3446a548b6.jpeg
9ADFCF07-0F38-4972-B3C9-1AEA61A3F35B.thumb.jpeg.acedb7f02d2fe0218004c3abd44fc2de.jpeg
E717F755-527B-4ED8-992B-C25A2AB87035.thumb.jpeg.c9a40fdb96fee01d9eb1ce2c8538c0ee.jpeg
486E8A01-629F-47D1-ABEC-0628DFCFB2DC.thumb.jpeg.d6582892bbd9e5584e57f9f010016668.jpeg

Nice pickup , good luck w it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Another delivery today.  My new to me Titleist 818H 25 deg. hybrid with the Mitsubishi Tensei CK Red 60 R flex shaft.  Again looks brand new and the head cover is brand new.  Will put it in play tomorrow!

D17BE7F1-EEC4-4C3C-89A4-4CF1AD32D7BF.jpeg

CF484285-586C-4586-B452-50E0C6DA5A16.jpeg

F882AC8F-567F-411E-9469-3483F43A63B1.jpeg

592212B2-D003-4A47-8E33-8C8DC53979CB.jpeg

85724EE4-4BB9-44E5-B335-2CF6780D0131.jpeg

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

• Guests
Guest Delete

Try this. Get your Hybrid. Put the ball about where you put your 7 iron. Aim a bit left. Open the face a hair. And take a divot. 

The flight should start just left of your target and fade back or just go straight at it. 

Why to try it?

1. Opening the face adds loft = height.

2. Taking a divot puts the impact higher on the face = higher launch, lower spin, more carry. 

3. Simplifies swing characteristics = swing like you are swinging an iron.

My guess is you might be doing two things preventing you from achieving a good strike. You said the clubs are fit for you. And you are a good golfer so it might be this. 

1. Trying to lift the ball to get a higher flight which only creates a thin shot.

2. Either stopping your rotation to early in the swing or flipping the club which both can cause the thin, closed face at impact. 

16 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

Another delivery today.  My new to me Titleist 818H 25 deg. hybrid with the Mitsubishi Tensei CK Red 60 R flex shaft.  Again looks brand new and the head cover is brand new.  Will put it in play tomorrow!

D17BE7F1-EEC4-4C3C-89A4-4CF1AD32D7BF.jpeg

CF484285-586C-4586-B452-50E0C6DA5A16.jpeg

F882AC8F-567F-411E-9469-3483F43A63B1.jpeg

592212B2-D003-4A47-8E33-8C8DC53979CB.jpeg

85724EE4-4BB9-44E5-B335-2CF6780D0131.jpeg

I dont mind that hybrid because its kind of got a bigger head like a wood.  

5 hours ago, TimoTe said:

Try this. Get your Hybrid. Put the ball about where you put your 7 iron. Aim a bit left. Open the face a hair. And take a divot. 

The flight should start just left of your target and fade back or just go straight at it. 

Why to try it?

1. Opening the face adds loft = height.

2. Taking a divot puts the impact higher on the face = higher launch, lower spin, more carry. 

3. Simplifies swing characteristics = swing like you are swinging an iron.

My guess is you might be doing two things preventing you from achieving a good strike. You said the clubs are fit for you. And you are a good golfer so it might be this. 

1. Trying to lift the ball to get a higher flight which only creates a thin shot.

2. Either stopping your rotation to early in the swing or flipping the club which both can cause the thin, closed face at impact. 

That wouldnt work for me because I block most hybrid to the right.  That certainly may work for someone who says hybrids are a hook machine for them but not for me.  I'll just stick with a 7-wood.