TESTERS WANTED! ×

7 woods

Hoyoymac

Well thanks guys, now I'm on the hunt for a 7 wood. I hit my woods great (Driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood) suck with my hybrid ( I swap between a 4 and a 5) plus I havea few that just didn't work out for me. Good with my irons ( I start with the 5 iron)  My problem area is nothing consistent in the 180 to 195 yard range. I hit the 5 wood 200 yards and can place the ball where I need it. Sounds like a 7 wood would be the missing ingredient.

Truthfully never even thought about a 7 wood until this post.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Just bought a used Tour Edge Golf Exotics EXS 7 wood......this thread has me very hopeful.  It may be up for sale soon when I realize it's just my swing (or lack thereof)

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

I would love for a callaway to make a sub zero 7 wood. That would be awesome..

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 4 weeks later...

Update....the 7 wood performs the way I had hoped hybrids would.  I use it FAR more than I thought....even out of (most) rough.  Best attribute....forgiveness=> confidence

The best indicator of success for a new golf club in the bag is the frequency of use.

If you reach for the club often it can only mean that the performance is good enough and consistent enough to inspire confidence.  The more confidence you have in a club the more you use it. 

Glad to hear that your new Tour Edge EXS 7 wood is giving you that sense of confidence. 

Once you find a golf club that inspires confidence, and through many experiences with it, the club proves that it does what you need it to while inspiring trust that it will deliver consistently, then it tends to stay in the bag a long time.

Look into most players bags and the clubs that tend to be the oldest are the tweener clubs (fairway woods, hybrids, long irons) and putters.  It is hard to find one that works and once you find a good one that works for you it is very hard to let it go.

More clubs get exchanged from lack of use than from overuse.  With limited spots in the lineup, once you lose confidence in a club and stop using it, won’t be long before a change is made.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

Finally pulled the trigger on a 7 wood. Waited for a good deal to appear. Picked up a Cobra King F6 adjustable between a 7 to 8 leftover new for $100.  Now just waiting on delivery. Should have it next week .

My 7 wood showed up on Monday. Had a golf tournment on Wednesday. No trial time and it went right in the bag. First hole was left with 185 over water to an elevated green. Probably playing 190. 

What the heck, tried the 7 wood. Perfect shot straight at the flag, over the water on the green. 

The 7 wood was the answer to my gap in performance issue area. I got to use it three more times with very good results compared to where my hybrid would have let me down.

Thanks to everyone recommending a 7 wood in this post. Never would have thought about one!

57 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My 7 wood showed up on Monday. Had a golf tournment on Wednesday. No trial time and it went right in the bag. First hole was left with 185 over water to an elevated green. Probably playing 190. 

What the heck, tried the 7 wood. Perfect shot straight at the flag, over the water on the green. 

The 7 wood was the answer to my gap in performance issue area. I got to use it three more times with very good results compared to where my hybrid would have let me down.

Thanks to everyone recommending a 7 wood in this post. Never would have thought about one!

Very cool it worked out!

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Sounds like the start of a beautiful relationship!

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

Well due to my recent injuries I have had to revamp my equipment some. I recently replaced the shaft in my TM V-steel 7 wood that I have had for 15 years or so. I ended up putting a A flex Diamana I had laying around; LOL salvaged it out of a Nike SQ 5 wood I had. Also converted an old TM R-7 Super Quad to a UST Pro force A flex, Both are working right now for me. Now I got lazy and could not find a A flex for the V-Steel 9 wood but did find a pristine Callaway Ladies 9 wood. Added a 1 inch extension and Wola. Hit them all pretty decent and do not have to swing hard

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well due to my recent injuries I have had to revamp my equipment some. I recently replaced the shaft in my TM V-steel 7 wood that I have had for 15 years or so. I ended up putting a A flex Diamana I had laying around; LOL salvaged it out of a Nike SQ 5 wood I had. Also converted an old TM R-7 Super Quad to a UST Pro force A flex, Both are working right now for me. Now I got lazy and could not find a A flex for the V-Steel 9 wood but did find a pristine Callaway Ladies 9 wood. Added a 1 inch extension and Wola. Hit them all pretty decent and do not have to swing hard

I didn’t personally like going to the “A” flex but it was time and best thing for me.
The Ladies 9 wood w/extension great move.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

17 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I didn’t personally like going to the “A” flex but it was time and best thing for me.
The Ladies 9 wood w/extension great move.

I do not like it either but I am learning to cope with it. Really had a hard problem converting the 7 wood. I have had it for 15 years or so. Played the stock stiff TM in it for a couple of years then went to the old UST Pro Force 65 Gold Stiff. I have hit some great shots over the years with that thing including a 190 yard hole out Albatross at Legends one day. I reasoned with myself that I had not carried it for 2 years because of the shaft. Time to man up and move on. The 9 wood was a stroke of luck I was looking for a shaft for the V-Steel 9 wood and found it. WTH? I thought I had found it a couple of years ago in one of the bins at work. Had saved it because it looked never to have been hit. 

I can remember when my old man had his pacemaker put in about my age now and back in those days it was in the chest. He could not swing like he used to. He put his old trusty Macgregor Drivers up and went to a Hogan Ladies driver which he could smoke. He ended up going to the matching ladies 3 wood. About this time he was a Ram staffer and he had Ram build him a set of XS-1000 irons with ladies shafts extended to std men's length. So actually after my pride cooled and I got my brain working I took a page out of his play book

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I would love for callaway to make a sub zero 7 wood.

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

I would love for callaway to make a sub zero 7 wood.

Even though I can't play anymore, I TOTALLY agree.

The OEMs are all loathe to make high loft clubs that don't correct for slicing by being too upright or closed faced.

They don't realize that people with technically sound swings might not all be high swing-speed players.

There are seniors and juniors and women with decent, non-slice swings, but they're not apparently worthy of being catered to.

1 hour ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Even though I can't play anymore, I TOTALLY agree.

The OEMs are all loathe to make high loft clubs that don't correct for slicing by being too upright or closed faced.

They don't realize that people with technically sound swings might not all be high swing-speed players.

There are seniors and juniors and women with decent, non-slice swings, but they're not apparently worthy of being catered to.

Or some good players with high swing speeds but want to play the game slightly different.

The only problem with my having bought a used Ping G30 7-wood to try out, is that it's almost as long as my G15 4-wood.

Which means I may need to buy new woods after all, in spite of my "cranky old man" insistence that new clubs are mostly marketing!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Depending on how my back and hands are feeling:

• driver - either Ping G15 or Ping K15
  • fairway - always Ping G15 4-wood, and Ping G30 7-wood
  • irons - either Cleveland 588 Altitudes 4-PW (graphite, senior), or Taylormade Rocketbladez 5-PW (steel, regular)
  • wedges - always Mizuno MX-10 GW, and Cleveland Tommy Armour Reg.588 60°
  • putter - either Odyssey 2-ball SRT (fat WInn grip), or Cobra Optica (standard grip)

I'm just going to throw this piece of info out there. Maltby is supposedly coming out with a line of clubs that are a blend of a hybrid and fairway wood. I believe it's supposed to be targeted towards the higher woods like 5, 7, 9+ woods. These clubs may offer some playing characteristics that a lot of golfers may be interested in. 

• 1 month later...

Since my review back in June I have put the Srixon 7 wood back in the bag. But I have also acquired a 4 hybrid to go with my 3 and I use those far more than the 7 wood. The 7 comes in handy when I need to hit the ball higher, since generally I have a very low ball flight.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

• 4 months later...

It is coming up on the one year anniversary of my original post and thought I should give an update.

A year ago I was really struggling with the top end of my bag, especially with my fairway woods, hybrids and long irons. 

First and foremost, thanks again to everyone who encouraged me to make some changes, tinker with my clubs and consider buying older and even second hand clubs.  All of which I had never done before and in retrospect definitely should have.

The Tour Edge XCG7 21 degree 7 wood is still in the bag and it is now my go to club for any long fairway shot of 200 yards or more. It is also great off the tee when I need a 215 yard shot.

As mentioned in a previous update, I replaced the shaft in my Tour Edge EX10 16.5 degree 4 wood to the same shaft in the 7 wood, the Fujikura Fuel Red 60 gram Stiff and it has been a night and day difference.  The 4 wood is a monster off the tee and is longer than the 7 wood, almost driver length distance, and easier to hit a draw with.  The 7 wood though is much easier to hit off of the fairway and from tight lies.

I took out my Titleist AP3 6 iron since my last update and replaced it with a Tour Edge XCG7 28 degree hybrid with the Fujikura Red 60 Stiff hybrid shaft.  It was also bought as new old stock.  It is the first hybrid that does not want to go left on me without any adjustments.  It launches the ball super high and the ball lands softly without a lot of rollout.  It is now my 175 yard full swing club and is great for long par 3’s or when the wind is in my face and I need a little extra oomph than the 7 iron can provide.

After experimenting with the Fujikura Fuel Red 60 gram stiff shaft in my Ping G410 LST 10.5 degree driver I have gone back to the Alta CB 55 Red Stiff shaft because I get more distance with the standard shaft and similar dispersion.

Everything else in my bag has stayed the same.  

Due to Covid 19 I played more golf in the last year than ever before.  I have 215 scores entered into the GHIN system in the last 12 months and that doesn’t include everything because of scramble events, alternate shot events, and team match play events.  I have played a lot.

I reached several personal bests since I started this post.  I shot my two lowest rounds ever, a 68 and 69. I got my handicap index down to its lowest ever last fall, 3.9, although it has creeped up some over the winter. My average scores have also continued to improve to its lowest ever.  My lows have gotten lower and my high scores have gotten lower too.

It would not have happened if I hadn’t started it all by adding the 7 wood to my bag!

So, even if you are a good player, if any of you reading this are struggling to get the ball into the air with a fairway wood or long iron then you may want to try a 7 wood.   For me, It made all the difference in the world.

Best wishes to everyone for a great golf season and for continued success on the course. 

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

Great thread Hoyomac, I do not game a 7 wood, but I raised my Cobra King F8 3W from 14.5 to 16.0 and my Cobra King F8 5W from 18.0 to 20.0. Holy moly what a difference. I hit them higher and farther than before. Maybe a 7 wood is in my future.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, Hoyoymac said:

After experimenting with the Fujikura Fuel Red 60 gram stiff shaft in my Ping G410 LST 10.5 degree driver I have gone back to the Alta CB 55 Red Stiff shaft because I get more distance with the standard shaft and similar dispersion.

After my 7 wood experience, also with Tour Edge, I am doing the exact same thing.  I have the Tensei blue shaft and love it.  Bought a 3 and 5 wood to match ( and similar feel/results) and the driver should arrive tomorrow.  

I am just curious, how much distance did you lose in your driver? I am really liking all my woods feeling the same. 

Thanks

I put a 7 wood in the bag this year. I went TSi2 and have it set to the lowest lofted and most open setting. So that should put it at 20.25 degrees. I put a ventus red shaft in it and it has been great. I love the high flight I get out of it. I have hit it both off the tee and from the fairway a couple times and it has been a great add. It previously had a utility in the bag (still do actually) but it was a bit of a one trick pony. I could hit if off the fairway with a perfect lie and off the tee it was a missile launcher. But I could pretty much just hit it hard. 

The 7 wood adds some versatility to that spot. I put the utility into the next spot in my bag and it seems to serve that purpose well there. So kinda the best of both worlds. I hit the 7 wood about 10-15 yards longer than the utility in current set up. 

Need some help, advice and some ideas.
Here is my issue:
The most challenging clubs in my bag for me to hit from the fairway or rough are 4 iron, 4 hybrid, and 4 wood. Yes, I’ve been fit for all of the clubs, so not trying to start a “just get fitted” response avalanche. My trajectory on all my clubs tend to be low as I tend to de-loft the club and play with a draw most of the time.  But on these clubs they are low bullets at best.  From the tee is a different story as I can get height on them most of the time. It is rare for me to hit any of these clubs in a round more than once or twice. Mainly due to a lack of confidence with them. Most comfortable with the 4 hybrid, Titleist 818 H1 21deg.  With 16g weight cartridge set at maximum fade and I still draw the ball with it. Titleist TMB 4 iron, Tour Edge Exotics EX10 4 wood.
My current GHIN index is 8.5 and I have played 162 times in the last 12 months. So I play a lot and practice quite a bit too. Arccos Caddie says my smart distance with Driver is 242 yards. Ping G410 LST 10.5 set at small + with the Alta CB 55 Red stiff shaft. Driver swing speed is 97 MPH. 6 iron is my usual 170 - 180 yard club with good height.  5 iron is lower height than the 6 and more runout but more reliable than the trio of 4’s.
What I’m trying to solve:
I really need a 200 yard club with some height.  I can hit low runners no problem.  If I have any kind of long carry over a hazard or water I won’t try it if I can’t hit my 6 iron. 
I hit a friend’s 7 wood the other day and just smoked it with lots of height.  
What I want to know:
I’m curious anyone else using a 7 wood?  How is it working for you?  Why do you use it.   Which one are using? 

The other club I know a few guys on here love is the super hybrid from callaway. I switched to a 4 hybrid from a 4 iron for that exact shot as well and it’s worked out well so far. I would try a more compact hybrid if you’re struggling getting it out of the rough.

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

I had such good results with the Fujikura Fuel Red shaft that I had to try it in my driver and was able to get the shaft for about $50.  

When I put the Fujikura Fuel Red shaft in my driver what I found was that the extra length of the shaft and the slightly lighter weight of the club head made it play stiffer than it did in the fairway woods.  Also the Alta shaft is counter balanced and so there was a swing weight difference as well.  I played around with the head weight by getting both lighter and heavier weights to replace the standard adjustable weight and also did some experimenting with shaft length and found that after a lot of trial and error I couldn’t improve on what I already had.

The new Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red shaft is very intriguing to me, but I’m not in a hurry right now to try it because I’ve been hitting my driver pretty well. The $300 price tag is also a bit of a deterrent too.

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4