TESTERS WANTED! ×

Whistling Straits vs. Pebble Beach

JKim2

Trying to plan a trip and would like to hear any recommendations. It’s either a Wisconsin trip including Whistling Straits, Blackwood Run, and Erin Hills or California including Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with whatever was cheaper.  Either place is good, golf wise, but you can probably save a ton of money passing on Pebble Beach.

And honestly, if I had the time and the money, I'd just hit up all of these places, owned by these guys...  https://dreamgolfresorts.com/

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

For the money I like Whistling, play all 4 courses and you can even sneak up to Erin Hills for a 5th round of great golf.  While in Kohler visit the Kohler museum, incredible,  we did it between rounds and it is just amazing.  The American Club is also a great place to stay, for the money you can't beat it.  

On 4/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, JKim2 said:

Trying to plan a trip and would like to hear any recommendations. It’s either a Wisconsin trip including Whistling Straits, Blackwood Run, and Erin Hills or California including Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay. Thanks!

At least the CA leg you could stay in the same hotel and knock all 3 rounds out in 2 days

910 D3, M3 3w, PXG 0211 4"h", Adams CMB 5-G, Vokey 6 52/56, PXG Dagger

On 4/24/2020 at 11:27 AM, Mr. 82 said:

I'd go with whatever was cheaper.  Either place is good, golf wise, but you can probably save a ton of money passing on Pebble Beach.

And honestly, if I had the time and the money, I'd just hit up all of these places, owned by these guys...  https://dreamgolfresorts.com/

My brother played Bandon last summer, said it was the greatest golf experience he's ever had, and the price of admission is worth every penny. I want to go there badly.

910 D3, M3 3w, PXG 0211 4"h", Adams CMB 5-G, Vokey 6 52/56, PXG Dagger

My brother played Bandon last summer, said it was the greatest golf experience he's ever had, and the price of admission is worth every penny. I want to go there badly.

Thanks. I’ve got a Bandon trip booked for Feb 2021. Can’t wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been to all 3, yeah I’m lucky.  Pebble is Pebble, nuff said but you’ll pay for the experience.  Bang for your buck Koehler is better.  Resort is super, golf excellent and food/drinks much cheaper.  Stop at Sand Valley and/or Erin on your way up or back.  But Pebble is still Pebble.  Depends on if this is bucket list stuff or just an amazing golf trip.  Bandon is the same as Koehler in terms of experience, well run resort, great golf, reasonable food.  Last year was the first time in 7 yrs I didn’t go to Bandon.  Went to Koehler instead.  

Would recommend all 3, can’t go wrong, but I go back to if this is a bucket list trip or not.  Going to Pebble this fall with a buddy from Ky, as this is his BL trip.

Ping G410 LST

Callaway Mavrik 4 wood

Callaway MAVRIK 3/4 hybrid

TM P790 5-AW

Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58

If you are coming to Wisconsin for the Kohler courses check out Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes in Central Wisconsin - developed by Bandon Dunes' Mike Kaiser.  If you have a little extra time almost across the street from Sand Valley is Lake Arrowhead's 2 courses, Lakes original and Pines.  Not nearly the cache of the other names but very nice.   Then head down to Erin Hills.  There are some other gems, but that would be a pretty good week. Fly into MKE and drive to Kohler for Whistling, Irish, River and Meadows (stay at the American Club) and then SV and MD (stay on-site) and then Erin and fly back.

Enjoy. 

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

If you are coming to Wisconsin for the Kohler courses check out Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes in Central Wisconsin - developed by Bandon Dunes' Mike Kaiser.  If you have a little extra time almost across the street from Sand Valley is Lake Arrowhead's 2 courses, Lakes original and Pines.  Not nearly the cache of the other names but very nice.   Then head down to Erin Hills.  There are some other gems, but that would be a pretty good week. Fly into MKE and drive to Kohler for Whistling, Irish, River and Meadows (stay at the American Club) and then SV and MD (stay on-site) and then Erin and fly back.
Enjoy. 

Awesome. Thank you for the advice. The plan is to drive to Chicago and drop the wife and kids off with relatives then hit the links. LOL

Been to Pebble and that place is great! everything in that area is all about golf. I love being on the coast but never been to Wisconsin.

Other course to try in the area

-Bayonet

- Poppy Hills

- Pacific Grove

Driver: Titleist Titanium 983K, 10.5, Aldial Green 85-X

FW: Nike Covert VRS 2.0, 15, Kuro Kage 70G

Hybrid: Adams A4 3H, 18,  Rayon Javlnfx h80

Iron: JPX 900 Forged 4-5 JPX 900 Tour 6-PW, Project X 5.5

Wedges:SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 60 D Grind

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot 9, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

Ball: Titleist Prov1x

• 1 month later...

If you're going to do the Wisconsin/Kohler trip, don't forget to consider adding in a round at The Links Course at Lawsonia in Green Lake, WI. It's a Top 100 public course, and a round with cart will never cost more than $100.

You can actually get there early in the morning on a weekday, and pay $125 to play the course unlimited all day with cart. I played it in May, and it's amazing. A total throwback in golf course architecture and design.

It's just about 1 hr. 30 min. away from Whistling Straits...about half way between Kohler and Sand Valley.

I've attached some pictures...the first is from the Par-3 7th tee. The hole is famous for having a train boxcar buried under the green.

No7Lawsonia.jpg

LawsoniaBack9.jpg

LawsoniaRock.jpg

Edited by sroel908
Added photos

What's In My  :nike-small: Xtreme Sport IV Carry Stand Bag:

:srixon-small: ZX5 Driver (9.5*)

:cobra-small: Baffler XL 3 Wood

:taylormade-small: Burner Rescue 3 Hybrid

:cobra-small: F8 5 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Irons (5-PW)

:Sub70: 286 Forged Wedge: 50* and 54*, JB Forged Wedge: 58*