Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Swing Checkpoints

After going through a bit of a funk where I was hitting the ball terribly, I realized I have very little natural talent to reproduce my swing without being completely analytical about it. So I sat down and wrote up a list of checkpoints in my swing and it helped me get back to normal, which isn't great but still decent. My 5 iron (27*) goes about 170.

Checkpoints:

• Right foot placed back to promote draw
    -- for driver, more weight on back foot
    -- not so far out that you can't put your weight on the foot
  • Club faced a little closed to promote draw
  • Very light grip using fingers and heel of the left hand, not palms
  • Head stays still
  • Both knees still bent at top of swing
  • Club weight felt on thumbs at top of swing
    -- this is where my previous problem was, if I follow this step, my clubface is properly open at the top of my swing
  • Pause at top long enough for club to rebound from back swing
  • Hips start downswing
  • Feel club lag behind hands
  • Feel snap as wrists straighten and turn over at the bottom of the swing
  • Ball goes up high when hitting down on the ball
  • Should feel very smooth when impacting the ball
  • Divot should be in front of the ball

Anyone else have a good checkpoint in their swing? Alternatively, feel free to tell me I'm doing something wrong :).

• 2 weeks later...

After going through a bit of a funk where I was hitting the ball terribly, I realized I have very little natural talent to reproduce my swing without being completely analytical about it. So I sat down and wrote up a list of checkpoints in my swing and it helped me get back to normal, which isn't great but still decent. My 5 iron (27*) goes about 170.

Checkpoints:

• Right foot placed back to promote draw
    -- for driver, more weight on back foot
    -- not so far out that you can't put your weight on the foot
  • Club faced a little closed to promote draw
  • Very light grip using fingers and heel of the left hand, not palms
  • Head stays still
  • Both knees still bent at top of swing
  • Club weight felt on thumbs at top of swing
    -- this is where my previous problem was, if I follow this step, my clubface is properly open at the top of my swing
  • Pause at top long enough for club to rebound from back swing
  • Hips start downswing
  • Feel club lag behind hands
  • Feel snap as wrists straighten and turn over at the bottom of the swing
  • Ball goes up high when hitting down on the ball
  • Should feel very smooth when impacting the ball
  • Divot should be in front of the ball

Anyone else have a good checkpoint in their swing? Alternatively, feel free to tell me I'm doing something wrong :).

Big problem with "keeping the head still." If you watch a face-on view of top golfers, most move their head during the swing. I don't like the concept of a "pause." The club/shaft will recover all on it's own. You do not have to wait for it. Finally, when I am swinging well, the LAST thing I need to feel is any artificial manipulation of the hands or wrists. If my set-up is solid and I make a good pivot, the hands follow the kinematic sequence all on their own.

I like the rest of the list, and it may well work for you. I would hesitate to have others borrow those items I have mentioned.

Big problem with "keeping the head still." If you watch a face-on view of top golfers, most move their head during the swing.

I'll pay more attention to this, thanks for the tip.

I don't like the concept of a "pause." The club/shaft will recover all on it's own. You do not have to wait for it.

My problem is that if I don't pause for a split second, my club is still moving up in the swing when I start the downswing (at least that's my perception). I'll pay more attention to this though.

Finally, when I am swinging well, the LAST thing I need to feel is any artificial manipulation of the hands or wrists. If my set-up is solid and I make a good pivot, the hands follow the kinematic sequence all on their own.

I like the rest of the list, and it may well work for you. I would hesitate to have others borrow those items I have mentioned.

I should probably clarify. I actually don't artificially do anything with my hands and wrists. However, if I swing with my arms, it sure feels different and I can tell the clubhead is not lagging behind my hands.

Thanks for the feedback!

My problem is that if I don't pause for a split second, my club is still moving up in the swing when I start the downswing (at least that's my perception). I'll pay more attention to this though.

Well, this is where the pros should weigh in, but what you are describing is considered beneficial by many golfers. The phenomena you describe is called float-loading, which permits you to "store" even more lag and hit the ball further. You might want to check out Brian Manzella, Mike Jacobs, John Graham, or Lag Erickson, all of whom have instruction-oriented websites that discuss this in great detail.

Well, this is where the pros should weigh in, but what you are describing is considered beneficial by many golfers. The phenomena you describe is called float-loading, which permits you to "store" even more lag and hit the ball further. You might want to check out Brian Manzella, Mike Jacobs, John Graham, or Lag Erickson, all of whom have instruction-oriented websites that discuss this in great detail.

Good point. I'll try it out and see if I gain some yards! Thanks again.

" Keeping the head still " is one way of describing it. I find it more productive to keep my eye on the ball until after the club has passed through the ball.

If I try to keep my head still, I end up doing so by stiffening my neck or some other muscles in and around the head. I find it more relaxing to keep my eye on my most immediate way point which happens to be the ball. The follow through is what pulls my head up and hopefully looking down the line at my ball flying towards the target.

The only other thing I like but try not to do consciously, is to feel as if my hands are only guiding the club by just barely keeping touch with it. That's not really the case but it helps me keep a light relaxed hold on the club as I swing.

As much as possible, I like to have all my swing plans made and settled before I take my address position at the ball and stop thinking by the time I address the ball.

Shambles

Archived