TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft length vs weight

I'm planning to build another shaft for my RBZ Stage 2 driver. The current shaft is 50g and the shaft I'm planning to put in a new tip is 69 grams. How much shorter will the 69 gram shaft need to be to maintain the same swing weight?

A quick google search found the following info:  

The balance point of the shaft, particularly certain graphite models, may change the final swingweight by several points. A lower balance point will increase the swingweight; higher balance points lower it.

A change in the head weight by 2 grams will yield a 1-swingweight change in the club. Heavier heads increase swingweight; lighter ones decrease it.

A change in shaft weight of 9 grams will yield a 1-swingweight change in the club. Lighter shafts decrease swingweight.

A change in grip weight of 5 grams will change swingweight by 1 point. Lighter grips increase swingweight; heavier ones decrease it.

A 1⁄2" change in the length of a club causes a 3-swingweight point change. Lengthening a club increases swingweight; making it shorter lowers it.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

A quick google search found the following info:  

1. All Swingweights are based on the raw weights of the club's components. The shaft is not to be cut to length in order to pre-calculate swingweight.

2. The balance point of the shaft, particularly certain graphite models, may change the final swingweight by several points. A lower balance point will increase the swingweight; higher balance points lower it.

3. A change in the head weight by 2 grams will yield a 1-swingweight change in the club. Heavier heads increase swingweight; lighter ones decrease it.

4. A change in shaft weight of 9 grams will yield a 1-swingweight change in the club. Lighter shafts decrease swingweight.

5. A change in grip weight of 5 grams will change swingweight by 1 point. Lighter grips increase swingweight; heavier ones decrease it.

6. A 1⁄2" change in the length of a club causes a 3-swingweight point change. Lengthening a club increases swingweight; making it shorter lowers it.

Based upon that, and assuming the balance points of the two shafts are identical, I get the following:

1. extra 19 grams will increase swingweight just slightly more than 2 points (e.g. D3 => D5+)
  2. Shortening the 69g shaft by 1/3" would reduce SW by 2 points, so 3/8" should reduce the additional SW by about 2.25 SW points.

I have a SW scale, so just looking for a starting point. I can load everything up and cut increments until I get to the desired SW. I note one review indicated the stock RBZ Stage 2 had a SW of D6, but I don't recall it being that high. I generally play around D4, so will need to weigh everything before I get started. If it is D6, then I'll probably end up shortening the shaft a bit more - which I'm okay with. 

25 minutes ago, cycleguy55 said:

Based upon that, and assuming the balance points of the two shafts are identical, I get the following:

1. extra 19 grams will increase swingweight just slightly more than 2 points (e.g. D3 => D5+)
  2. Shortening the 69g shaft by 1/3" would reduce SW by 2 points, so 3/8" should reduce the additional SW by about 2.25 SW points.

I have a SW scale, so just looking for a starting point. I can load everything up and cut increments until I get to the desired SW. I note one review indicated the stock RBZ Stage 2 had a SW of D6, but I don't recall it being that high. I generally play around D4, so will need to weigh everything before I get started. If it is D6, then I'll probably end up shortening the shaft a bit more - which I'm okay with. 

Based on that information I would say yes.   Your best option would be to install the shaft and then tape the grip to the end of the shaft and start measuring/cutting until you get what you want.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Based on that information I would say yes.   Your best option would be to install the shaft and then tape the grip to the end of the shaft and start measuring/cutting until you get what you want.  

That was my plan. If I go too light I can always hot melt the head later, but that's Plan B, as I'd rather not do that unless I need to.

Is it the same shaft brand and model? If it's not, it's likely the shaft has a different balance point and then that could change swing weight one way or another as well 

Also, I'd play the length at the length you're used to. If it feels too heavy then it only costs you $10 for another grip 

If you shorten the shaft and don't like the length, then it's not going to cost the price of a shaft to fix. 

Don't get so hung up on 2 swing weight points, especially if you're already in that d3-d5 range 

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Is it the same shaft brand and model? If it's not, it's likely the shaft has a different balance point and then that could change swing weight one way or another as well 

No doubt. I'll be watching for that when I swing weight it. The replacement shaft is a UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight Regular, while the original shaft is a RocketFuel original Stiff shaft. I'm getting older and swing speed has dropped a bit, so I'm trying a (theoretically) softer shaft as well as get a more boring ball flight as I typically hit a high spinny ball that balloons and doesn't play well in the windy conditions. I bought the V2 TF shaft a few years ago and now going to try one out in both the RBZ Stage 2 (9.5 deg) and an R11S (9 deg).

I agree with @jlukes, I'd match the length first and then if you don't like the swing weight you can try a heavier grip or a counter balance. I wouldn't want to constantly be messing with the length of my driver as it will probably lead to more problems than whatever benefit you are thinking you will get from changing shafts.

2 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I agree with @jlukes, I'd match the length first and then if you don't like the swing weight you can try a heavier grip or a counter balance. I wouldn't want to constantly be messing with the length of my driver as it will probably lead to more problems than whatever benefit you are thinking you will get from changing shafts.

I've played a shorter driver before, at 44.5", so I'm not concerned about that at all.

1 hour ago, cycleguy55 said:

I've played a shorter driver before, at 44.5", so I'm not concerned about that at all.

Understood.  Based on your original post, you said you were looking to build "another" shaft for your driver, which I took to mean that you might play both depending on conditions or something else. If that was the case, I'd want the shaft lengths to match, especially if I was playing one shaft one day and then the next round playing the other. 

If you're making a permanent switch then getting it to your desired swing weight may be more important than the length depending on what you are trying to achieve.

17 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Understood.  Based on your original post, you said you were looking to build "another" shaft for your driver, which I took to mean that you might play both depending on conditions or something else. If that was the case, I'd want the shaft lengths to match, especially if I was playing one shaft one day and then the next round playing the other. 

If you're making a permanent switch then getting it to your desired swing weight may be more important than the length depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Good point. I probably should have used "replacement" rather than "another".