TESTERS WANTED! ×

Question: Would you rather have a HOLE IN ONE on a par 3 or an Albatross on a Par 5?

Would you rather?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have a HOLE IN ONE on a par 3 or an Albatross on a Par 5?

• HOLE IN ONE
    • ALBATROSS

On 4/25/2020 at 10:02 AM, MALyons31 said:

To be clear, I saw this discussion on social media somewhere (so I didn’t come up with this myself) but it got me thinking for sure. 
Everybody chases the hole in one. Some people hit multiple in there lifetime and some never seem to find it. The Albatross isn’t talked about nearly as much, but holing a par 5 in two shots is also I great accomplishment. 
So, my question for you, which one of the two would you rather have if you could only have one? Let me know what you think....

My ace just turn 1 year old.
https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/hole-in-one-stories/posts/my-first-time-1337288980

With that being said, I would still love to get more aces during my lifetime, but if I have to choose just one, I would take the Albatross.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I have made an Albatross so I would go with a Hole in One.  I wish I had realized how rare an Albatross was when I made it, but I was 16 when it happened.  The Albatross was a bit "aided" though.  It was a 510 yard par 5, there was a cartpath that ran across the fairway at about 260 out.  My drive hit the cartpath and I ended up with a 330 yard drive.  Second shot 5 iron rolled up and in.  Also, I have been close 2 a hole in one on a couple of occasions and in a group where someone else made one twice so it seems more elusive at this point.

In my bag (for now):

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 9.5 deg- HZRDUS Smoke 60G Stiff

3-wood: :titelist-small: TS3 15 deg- HZRDUS Smoke 70G Stiff

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H1 19 deg- Atmos HB Tour Spec- 85G

Irons: :callaway-small: Rogue Pro CF18 5iron - AW- True Temper XP105 Stiff

Wedge #1: :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws - 54-10S- Dynamic Gold 115

Wedge #2 :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws - 58.08C- Dynamic Gold 115

Putter: :odyssey-small: Triple Track Ten - 34.5 inch Stroke Lab

Bag: :callaway-small: 2020 Org 14

Ball: still being settled on, but most likely the Bridgestone B-X, also testing 2020 Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1x (my go to for several years)

Hole in 1! Luckily I have an albatross under my belt. It was an awesome feeling but not on the level i think I would have when i someday hit that hole in 1. 

What's In My Bag...

Driver:  Looking for a new one.....

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small:  Great Big Bertha Fairway 2015, 14°, Aldila Rouge Silver 60 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Epic 18° Hybrid

Irons:  :callaway-small: 2015 XR Pro: 5-PW, KBS Tour-v90, Golfpride MCC Plus 4 Grips

Wedges:  :callaway-small:  MD3 Wedge in 50°(GW), 54°(SW), and 58°(LW), True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: Odyssey Works #1 Versa with a Superstroke mid-slim 2.0 counter weight grip

Ball:  :callaway-small: Chrome Soft or :bridgestone-small:

Shoes: Puma Disc Ignite & Skechers Elite

Bag: 2016  :callaway-small: Hyperlite 5

On 4/25/2020 at 12:02 PM, Kenny B said:

I've got 3 aces, but I'll never have an albatross since I can't reach par 5's in two shots.  So, I'll take another Hole In One!!

Most even the short par 5s, less than 500 yards are not reachable by me either, but I keep hope.

My Reviews:

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

On 4/25/2020 at 8:59 PM, Siamese Moose said:

I have three albatrosses,  but no hole in one. I would trade all three for a hole in one. No one gives you a plaque for an albatross. Nobody asks you how many albatrosses you've had. (OK, some golf hardcore people might.) There's an excitement level for a hole in one that I have not experienced with my shots. God willing,  I'll get to find out if that's true.

If you have three albatross, I imagine you’re a pretty dang good golfer. I completely understand what you mean about people not asking you about them. But honestly, I’m far more wowed at the fact you have 3 albatross than HIOs. I feel like to get an albatross, you’re hitting close to a 200 yard approach shot and sinking that junk. That’s amazing. I feel like most of the time people are hitting hole in ones on like 140-150 yard par 3s. Not trying to take away from that, I’m just saying, hitting 2 great shots being a tee shot and a 200 yard approach and sinking it is absolutely nuts...congrats by the way. 

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Right Handed

Handicap: 18

Driver: Taylor Made Sim MAX D-type 9.5 / VA composites Vylyn Shaft 65G Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals / KBS C-Taper Shafts Regular

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Since the tradition is to buy the drinks for a HIO and an albatross is rarer, what's the "reward/penalty" for an albatross?  Just asking in case I'm playing with someone who gets one.  😆

Not sure of the answer my self, now I am curious and furiously googling it.

My Reviews:

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Since the tradition is to buy the drinks for a HIO and an albatross is rarer, what's the "reward/penalty" for an albatross?  Just asking in case I'm playing with someone who gets one.  😆

We're going straight-to-da-club... in Vegas.

Which is why my playing partners, in recognition of the substantial liability; discourage the practice of laying up, by referring to it as "laying down".

Playing partner: "Are you seriously laying down right now, DLK?"

DLK: (sheepishly hangs head) "Yeah, I'm the worst"

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Hole in one only because I'm very unlikely to see an albatross go in. I wanna see that sh*t go in so I can Tiger fist pump from the tee box. Maybe do a cartwheel or two, or maybe even:

Were Going Streaking GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

6 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Hole in one only because I'm very unlikely to see an albatross go in. I wanna see that sh*t go in so I can Tiger fist pump from the tee box. Maybe do a cartwheel or two, or maybe even:

I didn't know this would be my answer until I read your reasoning. The celebration is ABSOLUTELY the best part. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

1 minute ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I didn't know this would be my answer until I read your reasoning. The celebration is ABSOLUTELY the best part. 

Yeah, not seeing it go in is kinda... lame? Not lame per se, but definitely less exciting than seeing it dunk, or that drama while it's rolling towards the cup. I've hit a flagstick from like 220 out and wouldn't have known if it weren't for my friends playing in the group ahead of us.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

22 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I hope you get to see yours when it happens.  I didn't see my first one, but the other two were very memorable.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

33 minutes ago, yungkory said:

This is what happened to my buddy on his hole in one. We looked for his ball for a solid 5 min absolutely bewildered as to where it could have gone because we knew he had hit a good shot that should have been on the green. Eventually we  made it back onto the green and found it in the bottom of the cup.

Edited by ChitownM2

Making my only hole-in-one was special. I want to experience that again!

:ping-small: G410, 9°, Tensei Orange 70-S
:adams-small: Tight Lies, 16°, Bassara 55-S
:adams-small: Idea Tech Boxer a40S 4 hybrid, Tour AD 65-R
:callaway-small:  X-20 Tour 4I-PW, Project X 5.5
:mizuno-small: MP-T4 50°, True Temper
:cleveland-small: 588 56°, stock
:nike-small: SV 60°, stock
:scotty-small: Newport 2 Notchback, Flat Cat grip
vice.png.4b217c198888a58207ae8084550b589d.pngPro balls

On 4/25/2020 at 10:02 AM, MALyons31 said:

To be clear, I saw this discussion on social media somewhere (so I didn’t come up with this myself) but it got me thinking for sure. 
Everybody chases the hole in one. Some people hit multiple in there lifetime and some never seem to find it. The Albatross isn’t talked about nearly as much, but holing a par 5 in two shots is also I great accomplishment. 
So, my question for you, which one of the two would you rather have if you could only have one? Let me know what you think....

I voted hole in one.  I did get my first HIO last year (Crossing's in Durham, hole 12, island green) and it was with a witness.

It's VERY rare that I reach a par 5 in 2 or drive the green on a short Par 4 but I have admit it would be really cool to get a Albatross as well.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

Heres one for you that still bugs me to this day.   A course that I used to play at regularly had this one hole that was an short par 5.  I had made numerous Eagles there before.   One day they decided to change the hole into a long par 4.  One month after the change, I bombed a drive down the middle, left myself about 195 Yards uphill to the back pin.  I hit a laser 5 iron that never left the pin, hit the front of the green and rolled straight up the green and dropped into the hole.  For an Eagle.  One month earlier it would have been an albatross.  Still makes me mad to this day, lol.

I have had 2 holes in one, one on a Par 3 and the other on a par 4.

The par 4 was pure arse. Hole was 1st and Victoria 255m (275yds) I hit my 3 wood and got it slightly thin, we seen it hit a tree behind the green,  we saw it bounce off the tree but lost it in the air. When we got to the green we could not find it, I was on my way back to the tee when one of the guys yelled that it was in the hole.

I have had  at least 3 Albatross but considering I used to hit my drives 300M meant I was hitting is some cases 4, 5 and even 6 irons into the green.

I also would like to point out that the last time I had any of these was 20+ years ago when I was on <4 handicap. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Hole in one. This is what you are trying to do. An albatross is just dumb luck.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Well I selected Albatross. My Dad has gotten both and I have neither. I think Hole in One is statistically more common but is much more iconic. The story of Double eagle is just a little better.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Hole in one just to shut my buddy up. He has one, I don't.

I got so fed up with it that I negotiated with him to only be able to tell me when we cross a state line.
Mistake. Now he just watches the flight tracker on planes and wakes me up to tell me.
"Hey Mike, did I ever tell you about my hole-in-one..." 

16 hours ago, Titleist87 said:

Hole in one. This is what you are trying to do. An albatross is just dumb luck.

... I have 2 Albatross's and zero HIO's. I would disagree that an Albatross involves some luck, but isn't dumb luck as you have to hit 2 really good shots. A HIO can be one really, REALLY bad shot that finds the hole. My cousin has 4 HIO's and I saw 2 of them. One was a topped 5 wood down a hill and over a little creek, hopping up on the green and rolling in the hole. He could not have hit a worse shot. The 2nd was a good 40 yd slice with wind aid on a 159 yd par 3. Started so far left of the hole and landed in the light rough beside the green then bounced, rolled and went in the side of the cup. So plenty of dumb luck HIO's. That said, many decent players to Tour Pro's are aiming right at the flag on a par 3 so that shot is more skill if hit well. My guess is nobody, even Tiger/Rory/DJ aims for the hole with their second shot on a par 5. On both of my Albatross's I was just aiming for the green and hit 2 really good 3 woods that landed short, rolled on and found the hole.

... OTOH I have aimed right at the flag on a par 3 thousands of times in my golf career and still don't have a HIO. The Golf Gods even let me know they are well aware of my quest but for whatever reason will not allow me to ever actually achieve it. I hit a poor shot on a par 3 that came up a little short, spun off the green and into the water. On my 3rd shot, I holed out for a par. So one swing and in the hole on a par 3 but not a HIO. I thought I could hear the sound of glasses touching and faint laughter from the skies when that 3rd shot found the bottom of the cup. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have 2 Albatross's and zero HIO's. I would disagree that an Albatross involves some luck, but isn't dumb luck as you have to hit 2 really good shots. A HIO can be one really, REALLY bad shot that finds the hole. My cousin has 4 HIO's and I saw 2 of them. One was a topped 5 wood down a hill and over a little creek, hopping up on the green and rolling in the hole. He could not have hit a worse shot. The 2nd was a good 40 yd slice with wind aid on a 159 yd par 3. Started so far left of the hole and landed in the light rough beside the green then bounced, rolled and went in the side of the cup. So plenty of dumb luck HIO's. That said, many decent players to Tour Pro's are aiming right at the flag on a par 3 so that shot is more skill if hit well. My guess is nobody, even Tiger/Rory/DJ aims for the hole with their second shot on a par 5. On both of my Albatross's I was just aiming for the green and hit 2 really good 3 woods that landed short, rolled on and found the hole.

... OTOH I have aimed right at the flag on a par 3 thousands of times in my golf career and still don't have a HIO. The Golf Gods even let me know they are well aware of my quest but for whatever reason will not allow me to ever actually achieve it. I hit a poor shot on a par 3 that came up a little short, spun off the green and into the water. On my 3rd shot, I holed out for a par. So one swing and in the hole on a par 3 but not a HIO. I thought I could hear the sound of glasses touching and faint laughter from the skies when that 3rd shot found the bottom of the cup. 

Sam, that reminds me of my barber.  He has been an avid golfer for most of his life and still plays to a low single digits as a mid 70 year old.  His wife has multiple HIO's---I cant remember the number to his none.  His one hope is carding one before time wins the battle. 

With all of that said, do you guys think it would improve the odds if you hit knock down shots with longer irons into the shorter par 3's to get a little more rollout instead of full short irons?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

A HIO can be one really, REALLY bad shot that finds the hole. My cousin has 4 HIO's and I saw 2 of them. One was a topped 5 wood down a hill and over a little creek, hopping up on the green and rolling in the hole. He could not have hit a worse shot. The 2nd was a good 40 yd slice with wind aid on a 159 yd par 3. Started so far left of the hole and landed in the light rough beside the green then bounced, rolled and went in the side of the cup. So plenty of dumb luck HIO's. That said, many decent players to Tour Pro's are aiming right at the flag on a par 3 so that shot is more skill if hit well. My guess is nobody, even Tiger/Rory/DJ aims for the hole with their second shot on a par 5. On both of my Albatross's I was just aiming for the green and hit 2 really good 3 woods that landed short, rolled on and found the hole.

I completely agree tho only hole in one I actually saw hit a sprinkler head off the right of the green bounced 90* and rolled 40' across the green and went in.

My Dad's was 525 yards and with driver 3 wood they were both great shots but obviously had a little luck going in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I would rather have a hole in one just because I can probably see it go in and celebrate with whoever I’m playing with/or by myself in the moment. Yes, I know I can walk up and find the golf ball in the hole and then celebrate, but takes away from the dramatics or watching it go in. 

I do believe it is harder to get an albatross then a hole in one depending on the length of a par 5. Some par 5’s, you can get driver-7 iron into the green, which almost acts like a par 3 distance in terms of shot into the green. Like some have said, luck definitely plays into shots and more so than ever on par 3’s.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

... Here is another variable for better players and high index players when it comes to Albatross vs HIO. If shooting your lowest score was your goal, would you rather play 18 par 5's or 18 par 3's? I remember charting my rounds in LA back in the late 90's and was shocked to see how poorly I played the par 3's compared to the par 5's. I can't remember the exact #'s but it was something like 39 under on the par 5's and 21 over on the par 3's. Considering iron play was probably my greatest strength at that time, I was a little surprised by those #'s. Then I saw a stat and again can't remember exact #'s but for his career Tiger was something like 1,121 under on par 5's and 31 over on par 3's. 

... My wife is a good golfer that shoots in the mid to low 90's and she would always rather play a par 3 than a par 5.   

... would you rather play 18 par 5's or 18 par 3's?

Speaking generally, Doesn’t every hole have the par 3 aspect?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Speaking generally, Doesn’t every hole have the par 3 aspect?

... Par 3's, especially from 175-225 are lengths a better golfer will never see on a par 5 and few par 4's. Then combine that with many par 3 greens are more severe than par4/5's and more than a few have areas with just about impossible up and downs. More slope and undulation, more water, deeper bunkers, thicker rough and no bail out area. There is plenty of recovery opportunities on a par 5 and a lot of par 4's. Hit a poor tee shot on a par 4 and you can still advance the ball short of the green which gives you a straight forward up and down opportunity.  Or putt it in the bunker and another up and down chance. Par 5's can give you 2 chances at recovery from a poor shot. 

... But hit a poor tee shot on a par 3 and there is no chance at hitting a shot that puts you in a good position for an up and down. Sure, there are misses on some par 3's where you have a good look at a chip or a bunker without a steep lip but more often than not a bad shot leaves you in the water, thick rough, plugged in a bunker or short sided to a green with a lot of slope. Par 3's are a challenge and apart of the game, and I have played some breath taking par 3 holes, but if courses got rid of them completely I would not complain. 🤪

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Here is another variable for better players and high index players when it comes to Albatross vs HIO. If shooting your lowest score was your goal, would you rather play 18 par 5's or 18 par 3's? I remember charting my rounds in LA back in the late 90's and was shocked to see how poorly I played the par 3's compared to the par 5's. I can't remember the exact #'s but it was something like 39 under on the par 5's and 21 over on the par 3's. Considering iron play was probably my greatest strength at that time, I was a little surprised by those #'s. Then I saw a stat and again can't remember exact #'s but for his career Tiger was something like 1,121 under on par 5's and 31 over on par 3's. 

... My wife is a good golfer that shoots in the mid to low 90's and she would always rather play a par 3 than a par 5.   

I definitely would rather play 18 par 5’s instead of 18 par 3’s IF playing for lowest score. My GIR is much higher for Par 5 than 3. If I needed practice, I would definitely play 18 par 3’s. 

You can get away with a tee shot/second shot in the rough where as you hope you have a good lie in the rough on a par3. 

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama