MALyons31

Question: Would you rather have a HOLE IN ONE on a par 3 or an Albatross on a Par 5?

Would you rather?  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have a HOLE IN ONE on a par 3 or an Albatross on a Par 5?

• HOLE IN ONE
    • ALBATROSS

Our Sponsors

I have one hole in one, but have always thought the albatross was cooler.  Sure, most golfers ask about number of hole in ones.  The people who truly get it understand how much more rare and difficult it is to have an albatross.  

Put it this way, how about just combining the two and get a hole in one on a Par 4.  Happy Gilmore had one.  It's just so much easier than putting, I should try to get the ball in one hole every time.

Virginia : [laughs]  Oh, I hope he *wins*. He's a publicist's *dream*. I mean, a guy who could drive the ball *that* far - oh, he could *really* draw a crowd.

Shooter McGavin : [under his breath]  You know what *else* could draw a crowd? A golfer with an arm growing out of his ass.

• Haha 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

2 hours ago, MALyons31 said:

But did you make the putt?! 😆 

No man! It hit the stick and bounced out 😇

• Haha 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Since I have never had a hole in one, I have to go that route. I could see if you had a few already then the albatross would be tempting. 

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S
  • Irons: :srixon-small: U85 4I AD DI 95S, Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :ping-small:: Glide 3.0 52, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
  • RH in Phoenix, AZ

Hole in One... as much as both carry shots carry luck, the likelihood of holing out with a mid-high lofted club with skill far outweighs the sheer luck with that off a 3wood-mid iron.

I would take a hole in one because that is what I am attempting to do.  I feel like an albatross just happens as a result of being able to reach the green in two.  When I am 240-255 out, my intent is not getting an albatross. My intent is to get it on the green for an eagle or easy birdie.  I dont have one yet either though...😢

I had my first ever decent chance at an albatross the other day. Was 160 yards out from the green on my second shot on a 468 yard par 5.

My approach in felt great! Felt like I struck it really well and it looked like it was tracking right for the stick. I thought "OH BABY, its going to be right on it!" Then out of nowhere, it just fell out of the sky and was 20 yards short...Still not sure what happened. It was deflating lol

• Like 1

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Right Handed

Handicap: 18

Driver: Taylor Made Sim MAX D-type 9.5 / VA composites Vylyn Shaft 65G Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals / KBS C-Taper Shafts Regular

Hole in One... as much as both carry shots carry luck, the likelihood of holing out with a mid-high lofted club with skill far outweighs the sheer luck with that off a 3wood-mid iron.

What if your albatross was holed with a 9 iron from 170 yards out?

Now that I finally have a hole in one, I’m still more proud of my albatross: it required a 335 yard drive and a well struck, perfectly aimed 9 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Love 1

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

On 6/16/2020 at 3:25 PM, Micah T said:

What if your albatross was holed with a 9 iron from 170 yards out?

Now that I finally have a hole in one, I’m still more proud of my albatross: it required a 335 yard drive and a well struck, perfectly aimed 9 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Exactly, that’s what I’m sayin!

• Like 1

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Right Handed

Handicap: 18

Driver: Taylor Made Sim MAX D-type 9.5 / VA composites Vylyn Shaft 65G Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metals / KBS C-Taper Shafts Regular

Having had both, my preference is an albatross. I have seen plenty of lucky holes in one, and there probably are lucky albatrosses, but at least one shot of an albatross has to be pretty good.

• Like 1

Truth is I would take either but I really want a hole in one very much. All the golf I have played in 40+ years and not one. Got friends that are the epitome of weekend golfers/hackers and two of them have like 2 or 3 apiece. I digress. Hole in One is what I want. 

• Like 1