TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno ST190: Slow swing player.

Gemba2

First some background.  Age 65.  I swing in the 90 mph range give or take.  I was playing a Ping G15 driver but was hoping for a little more distance/ consistency and figured some newer technology might help.

I bought the ST190 off Ebay.  Stock ATMOS Red regular shaft. (Great shape, $152 dollars)

Initial thoughts:

ST190 looks really nice.  I immediately noticed it felt lighter, although I think swing weight is D3 like Ping.  Shaft is  supposedly 3/4" shorter than the Ping.

Range:  I took it to the range before my first round for a tryout.  First 6 balls all found the center of the face.  (Was a little surprised how easy it felt to swing.  Always felt I had to work at getting the Ping to where I needed it to be.)  For distance, Mizuno flew slightly longer than my Ping.  Seemed to end up where I was trying to hit more often than the Ping also.  Encouraged, I took it out on the course yesterday.  *Note:  Range is considerably elevated so I really can't tell how long it goes.  Just know it went further than the Ping.

1st round:  1st hole I hit a low drive off the towish area.  Not the first time that ever happened!  When I got to the ball I realized it had travel father than that same miss with the Ping had in the past.  Second hole  I found  the middle of the face.  Ball had a nice mid flight launch and finished with some great distance.  I'm not talking 20 or 30 yards longer than the Ping, but certainly a noticeable difference.  The rest of the round was pretty typical day.  Had good drives, not so good drives, and one WTF happened to that one?  Overall I would have to say the Mizuno was worth every penny.  Good drives were longer and tended to go more where I was looking for them to go.  Misses, both heal and toe, flew pretty straight, and again went further than past missed shots on the same holes.

In closing I would like to say I'm still still in the "honeymoon" stage with this club, but I didn't see or feel anything the least bit disturbing.  I have read some reviews that players weren't thrilled with the sound of the ball strike. Maybe because I don't swing hard enough, or my hearing is going, or I just don't care about that sort of thing, but I had no problem with the sound.  Having been fitted for and discovering I couldn't be more "average" when it comes to golf irons, I would still recommend before buying one of these you at least try one  at the store/shop, (if one is open near you).  In my case, since I am "average", I just bought the stock model.  Seems to fit me fine.  And with an 18.2 index I'm not sure there's much a new, (expensive), shaft is going to do to help with my inconsistencies.  Still have to fix the swing first.

Hopefully,if I remember, (another age reference), after a couple/few more rounds I will post an update .  Haven't even touched the adjustments yet. 😉  Golf is still happening here in GA. 

5/14 Update:

I've played multiple rounds with the club now and I only like it more.  Swings easy.  I can really feel where the head is through the swing.  Played today and only missed a couple fairways.  Lots of hits in the center of the face which really added some distance.  Again, I'm not a bomber off the tee but having some extra yards on the shot usually helps.

It took a few rounds to really settle in.  I ended up raising the loft 1 notch.  Think it's at 11.5 now.  I tend to hit down a bit  so the change gets my drives up a little..  I'd call it mid height with a lot of roll.  Works well with the courses I play here in N. Georgia.

That's it for the update.  I couldn't be happier with the Mizuno

Edited by Gemba2
UPDATE:

@Gemba2  Best of luck with the ST190.  I've liked the looks and considered the ST200, but at a fitting last fall, the fitter said that he couldn't significantly improve any of my clubs so I saved some money!!  Maybe when I get tired of my driver, I'll give the Mizuno a try.  Love their MP-20 HMB.  I'm 72 and almost the same swing speed.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good luck with your journey! I’ve enjoyed my ST190 (albeit a different profile); Mizuno has definitely put out a much more competitive line top-to-bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2019

Driver - [NEW] Mizuno ST190, Atmos Black 6x, adjusted to 8.5 degrees

3 Wood - Callaway Alpha 816, Graphite Design AD-DI 7x - 15 degrees

Hybrid - Callaway XR OS, Graphite Design AD-DI 7x - 18 degrees

Irons - Adams CMB, KBS C-Taper - 4 iron - GW

Wedges - Scratch, KBS C-Taper - 53, 58

Putter - Taylormade TP Ardmore Red Limited Edition - 34 inches 

Enjoy the new club. Picked up an ST190 recently as well. It's been great for me so far even with the stock shaft. As far is sound is concerned, I think it's great. I like a good muted sound and when you really catch it, it produces a nice loud crack and very little "ting". 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Nice.  Mizuno woods are highly underrated, IMO.  Everyone knows they make great irons but most dont seem to be aware that their woods are quite good as well.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X