Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Question for the Ben Hogan gamers

AmishJason

To all the Ben Hogan gamers on here, how did you fit yourself for shafts?  Would going to a golf store and going through the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer process be enough?  

The nearest Club Champion to me is 8 hours away and at that distance I could go the extra little bit and go all the way to Ft. Worth.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

1 hour ago, dthrog00 said:

I don't have Ben Hogan clubs, but they do have a demo program you can try that have their standard shafts available (Tour 90, Tour V, Dynamic Gold, Recoils).

Dave

I have a pair of the Edge irons through the Demo program, but I was only able to choose between the KBS TOUR V and Recoil 760/780 shafts.  

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Oh ok, I just pulled up the PTX Pro and it had all of them listed.  I wonder why it is different one iron to the next? 

Ben Hogan golf seems like a company that makes nice stuff although I've never tried it.  Everything looks good and those who buy them seem to really like them.

Dave

I'm pretty pleased with the Edge Irons so far.  There were only two options for Demo clubs, but there are several for purchasing them.

• 4 weeks later...

Being in my mid-50's and my body not being able to deal with the constant vibration of steels shafts anymore, I went to all graphite (Driver - LW) about 5.5 years ago so it made my shaft choice pretty easy.  Only one graphite choice (Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap) and luckily it has been a good fit for me.  As far as for woods, I knew from previous experience that Project X and Tensei shafts were not very good fits for me to I went with UST Helium in driver, 3W and 5W.  They turned out to be OK but I changed them out for shafts I already had to get better performance for me. 

I'd think any good shaft fitting would do the trick.  From a shaft fitting perspective, there's likely  not much to choose from with a different brand head on the end of the stick (Hogan vs. Mizuno).  If a set is very strong lofted, a softer shaft might gain some launch angle, but a shaft fitting in general would provide the answers, I'd think.  Personally, I use both clubhead speed as well as shaft loading.  Shaft loading reveals tempo and transition from backswing to downswing, while clubhead speed would factor into things like "toe droop" during the swing.  If the shaft gets too soft, and the toe drops excessively during a full swing (requiring a more upright lie angle), half swings can end up with too upright a lie angle.  I generally choke up a little on the half swings to restore the dynamic lie angle at the lower velocities.