Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Same Brand vs. Better Performance?

Same Brand vs. Better Performance?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. When choosing clubs, do you prefer to have clubs from the same or related manufacturers or is it based primarily on performance?

• Brand
    • Performance

I must admit, as I'm buying new clubs I feel myself drawn to clubs of the same brand as my favorite clubs (in this case, my irons). Do you all lean more towards brand continuity or performance when choosing new clubs?

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I think most players can find really solid clubs from any good manufacturer.  Given that I've (presumably, I know that's an assumption) had good perfoemance from my current clubs, I'd probably look first at replacing them with clubs from the same manufacturer.  But I'm not married to any clubmaker, I've gone from MacGregor to Mizuno to Titleist with my irons, Calloway to Titleist to Calloway with driver.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

For me its all about performance.  I couldnt care less what the brand is as long as the club performs.  Im all Tommy Armour now but thats all because they are great clubs that are a great value.

I pretty much all of my current clubs on sale and they were about half the price of what I would have spent on anything comparable from any of the name brand, non-GG/DSG brands.

Honestly, if it werent for TA, Id probably be playing Pinemeadow, Top-Flite or Wilson Harmonized clubs because I feel like those perform as well as anything mainstream and cost a fraction as much.

Edited by Retrogolfer36

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I’ve done both. I’ve played same brands for multiple releases but have changed because unlike the looks and or potential performance of another brand and club type. There’s not right or wrong way to go about it and staying with one brand can help consistency in play or feeling from release to release 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1