TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are your on course expectations after a fitting?

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hopefully you will keep us informed on you long term results from your driver fitting.

Will do. I shouldn’t have said anything until after at least 20 rounds...that’ll be months from now.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Will do. I shouldn’t have said anything until after at least 20 rounds...that’ll be months from now.

It was fine to say something and I appreciate that you did. My question was asked simply because I read a lot of people saying their fitting didn’t work for them so I was curious what their expectations were once they got back on the course.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but your initial response was really very telling. Even though you know better, You expected good results every time you play. Since there are so many variable improvement can only be measured over time and many rounds. The same discussion could be applied to lessons or technology and what is the expected improvement.

Again, your initial gut response was great. We (myself included)are immediate gratification type people.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It was fine to say something and I appreciate that you did. My question was asked simply because I read a lot of people saying their fitting didn’t work for them so I was curious what their expectations were once they got back on the course.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but your initial response was really very telling. Even though you know better, You expected good results every time you play. Since there are so many variable improvement can only be measured over time and many rounds. The same discussion could be applied to lessons or technology and what is the expected improvement.

Again, your initial gut response was great. We (myself included)are immediate gratification type people.

Actually I most certainly didn’t expect good results every time I play at all. I’ve played long enough to know every round is different and the scoring SD is wide. I keep stats on every round, have for years. I was just surprised to have two unusually good rounds followed by one unusually bad (worse than any of the last 25 rounds played with my previous stock driver). Both outside my normal good and bad range. But again, I should’ve waited for at least 20 rounds before saying anything.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

6 minutes ago, Middler said:

Actually I didn’t expect good results every time I play at all. I’ve played long enough to know every round is different and the scoring SD is wide. I keep stats on every round, have for years. I was just surprised to have two unusually good rounds followed by one unusually bad (worse than any of the last 25 rounds played with my previous stock driver). But again, I should’ve waited for at least 20 rounds before saying anything.

Do you track dispersion in any way? You talked about missing fairways and that the fitted driver is no better or no worse at that. Curious how you track that?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I expect to leave with a set up tailored to my swing. When I do a fitting I plan on buying as long as performance is optimized.

Also, I know Trackman is nice, but I'll only do a fitting where I can see the ball flight and not just rely on monitors.

Last year I was looking for new irons and went to golf galaxy. I know my distance and my 7iron is roughly 165 on a solid hit. On their monitors the 7i was flying 190+roll. Not just the newer one, but my decade old TMs as well. I can't trust it.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Do you track dispersion in any way? You talked about missing fairways and that the fitted driver is no better or no worse at that. Curious how you track that?

Thanks for asking but let’s end the hijack so the OP can get answers to his questions. I’ll say more in a separate thread after 20-25 rounds if there’s anything of interest.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

If we use the analogy of the Indian or the arrow, I expect the arrows to be sharpened and shaped to the ideal conditions for me to have the greatest success on the course. Or to receive an honest assessment if my current arrows are perfectly tuned to me.

After that, it's up to me to consistently work and practice to see improvements in score.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Thanks for asking but let’s end the hijack so the OP can get answers to his questions. I’ll say more in a separate thread after 20-25 rounds if there’s anything of interest.

It was a simple question about how you track and is relevant to the OP imo. Hopefully you share this in whatever thread you decide to post your results in. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I think I also have the unrealistic expectation that I will be able to have a super nerdy conversation about shafts, clubheads, lie angles, etc.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I plan to get fitted for a full bag at some point this season with the intent of buying new irons and a driver immediately since most of my bag is ~12 years old. Fairway wood & a hybrid are a maybe depending on where budget ends up for the first 2; otherwise I may try to pick up the latter when new stuff comes out next year and I can score a deal.

As far as the fitting itself, I'm expecting the fitter to take my shortlist of clubs and get me the right head/shaft combo that will allow me to keep working on my game without fighting equipment that isn't right for me.  My current irons are standard length & 1° upright which was determined from nothing more than a lie board while hitting into a net at GG back when I purchased them. My driver is also a regular flex shaft and I'm pretty sure that along with my lie angles is incorrect. I'm not expecting to see a dramatic drop in scores just from changing equipment, but I am hoping that it brings a little bit of consistency to my misses. 

Edited by ChitownM2

My expectation is that I come away with clubs that fit my swing and don't fight with my swing.  For example, I don't buy clubs that often and was fit for the first time about 11-12 years ago.  I found I needed my irons to be bent two degrees flat.  All of a sudden, I found that I was hitting irons solidly on swings where I had previously topped a ball or hit it thin.

Also, I found that I really liked my hybrids (at the time Ping 15s).  But, then about 3-4 years ago, I started slowing down at work, playing more, taking lessons, etc., and as my swing improved, I found that the Ping Hybrids really had too much of a draw bias for my new swing.  Got Titleist hybrids about two years ago and had them fitted to me and now it is easier for me to hit the ball straight.

But, a few years ago I went to Club Champion to get fit for a putter and got one that they recommended and seemed ok based on the very short putts I was doing there.  I got the putter on the course and played with it for about a year and always hated it.  I went back to my old putter, which was an older Odyssey blade putter that was too long for me but was otherwise comfortable.  I am left handed and thus have difficulties finding putters to try.  Did some research and found the ping iphone app and found that I had a strong arch stroke (the putter Club Champion had fit me to was face balanced).  Eventually bought a new toe hang blade putter and am much happier with it and as I take putting lessons it seems to work better and better.

So, again, what I am looking for in a fitting is a golf club that I feel comfortable with, that helps and does not fight my swing and that continues to work as I take lessons and improve my swing.

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

Club Champion touts a Golf Digest study in which eight of the nine participants saw their games improve by an average of 1.7 strokes per play, their drivers gain 21 yards, and their irons gain 13 yards. Those improvements don’t mean you’re going to go pro anytime soon, but can be big deal, depending on how seriously you take your game.

It’s for each of us to decide if 1.7 strokes per round (average) is worth $350 plus $ hundreds in custom shafts, some got more than 1.7 strokes, some got less... 

I’m gaming a driver custom fit and built for me by Club Champion in March. I’ve only played 4 rounds with it so far (course was closed until a few weeks ago). I didn’t expect to gain distance and I didn’t. My ball speed and smash factor was almost the same with every driver head and shaft I tried including the stock Rogue I walked in with. There was a difference in dispersion on the launch monitor, but some of that is chance and some the shaft - hard to know how much of each. There’s no obvious difference in FW dispersion in my first 4 rounds but I need to give it 20-25 rounds before drawing ANY conclusions on FW% or scoring. 

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I changed the title of the topic as more people are providing their expectations for the fitting.   This post is about once you get those new perfectly fit clubs (doesn't matter if you bought them from the fitter or sourced them yourself),  what improvements are you expecting and even more,  how are you measuring those improvements?  I see lots or people saying that their fitting didn't work so tell us your evaluation criteria that lead you to the conclusion that the fitting didn't work.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I changed the title of the topic as more people are providing their expectations for the fitting.   This post is about once you get those new perfectly fit clubs (doesn't matter if you bought them from the fitter or sourced them yourself),  what improvements are you expecting and even more,  how are you measuring those improvements?  I see lots or people saying that their fitting didn't work so tell us your evaluation criteria that lead you to the conclusion that the fitting didn't work.

This is what I’m curious to read about especially for anyone talking dispersion.

Except for driver and fairway woods, my fittings haven't changed in the last six years.  When I get new clubs which means I have built them myself, I expect them to have uniform yardage gaps, predictable flight trajectory, predictable curvature, similar feels (swing), and gravy if they go longer & or straighter.  I understand that they will feel different and if they fly as good or better I don't care what they feel or look like.  How I test:  I use a GCQuad to confirm dispersion, launch, distance gaps, & off distance performance.  I also confirm lie angles with a marker.  Once done I confirm their performance on the course and make any adjustments as needed.  I also check my loft/lies 2-3 times per year.  I have zero expectation that the clubs will make me play better. If I can control them and they are predictable, then the scoring is all on me.  

Background: Before March 2020, My driver that I  used for 12 years was a Taylormade Burner, 50 g, Regular Flex. I basically just bought this at a store. My problem with this driver was that I have a higher swing speed (108-112) that resulted in me guessing when that driver head was going to make impact with the ball. I know that mainly had to do with the shaft, but still.

I decided to finally get fitted for a driver. Using a track man and many driver heads and shafts, I ended up with a Ping G410 Plus, 75 g, Extra stiff flex driver. This club fit my golf swing, slight fade, a lot better than my old driver. I have played about 9-10 rounds so far. I can already tell a difference in the feel of the golf club coming through at impact. I know what my miss will be if I don’t come through like I intend to. 

With my old driver, I was all over the place, missing left and right. Now, I know that I can be more confident with my shot shape by taking the angle I want and if I miss, I know it’s typically fading a little more than I would like. I use the 18 birdies app for every round and one of the statistics is Fairways hit. I have already seen this stat increase from my last 10 rounds total. Getting fit for this driver has allowed me to focus on the swing path I want and not hope the club comes around in time to send the golf ball in the direction I want. Obviously I’m still working and tinkering with this new driver has I have gone from a 50g to 75g shaft, but I have definitely noticed the improvement in my dispersion of shots. I would like to think I’m hitting it further too, but I’ve also been hitting the weigh room, so it could be that.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

I got fit for my 919 Forged irons in February, after gaming MP-H4s for 6 years.  I got fit for the H4s, but after maybe 2 years total playing golf.  They had reg flex Dynalite Gold shafts in them, and even as long as 3 years ago I was starting to see my shot balloon.  I'd gotten better and my clubs were no longer a fit.  My 919's have Project X 6.0s, and I'm hitting a much more penetrating ball flight with no ballooning.

Point is...well, a couple points.  One, in my opinion, the greatest "goodness" of a fitting is found in getting you into the proper shaft far more than the clubhead.  (Again, just my opinion.)  Two, as to the OPs question about what I expect on the course after a fitting, I'd say to know that I'm the best possible conditions to hit good shots.  In other words, my clubs are best suited to allow me to deliver a strike, rather than a hindrance.  In my case, it's worked.  I use an app to track my stats, and my GIR is up since I started gaming the new sticks. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I have yet to purchase a fully fit bag of clubs, but when I eventually do my expectations are that I have a more predictable and consistent ball flight, that I improve efficiency via improved strike location (for similar swings), and that I'm able to go at the ball a bit more. With my current setup, I don't feel like a can really go at the ball without losing control of the club face. I can swing fast, but I really have to manage tempo - especially with the driver, fairway, and hybrid.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour