What are your on course expectations after a fitting?

Unfortunately, as this thread has shown, many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to fittings. You’re rarely going to see a sizable immediate jump in performance. It will not drop your scores over night and take you from a 18 to a 10 handicap. A fitting is a tool to rate your equipment and raise your potential. It gives you knowledge to help you improve. That’s it! What you do with that information will determine if you improve or not. Their is no magic, you have to put in the work to get better. Like most things in life, you only get out what you put into it.

For me, getting my delivery data, ball flight data and the fitters thoughts and ideas is what I’m looking for. I leave with piece of mind that my equipment is not holding me back and I can go to work on my swing with better knowledge about my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On MGS there are always topics being started that ask about what clubs or shafts they should play or should they get fitted.    There are always the answers that you should get fitted, just play what

If I am paying more than $100 for a fitting for a single club category (ex. irons, driver, etc.), I expect the fitter to have a strong knowledge of different components. I have been disappointed in al

Like most the newbies, expecting nothing less than a miracle.   After the fitting with the "new or adjusted" golf clubs, we should play golf like the pros we see on televised tournaments.  

No better or worse, I thought of that. Sure some were light rough easily played, but others were off in the weeds left and right - no different than ever with my stock driver. My question is why did I drive so much better the two weeks before. I thought I was on to something, but not sure anymore...
Timing, swing "effort", minor change of plane, tempo, hip sway instead of hip turn, grip change, shoulder opening just a shade more and/or not opening as much.......

Etc,etc,etc. Even the pros have a hard time grooving it every time. That becomes even more difficult for a normal guy who's playing once a week.

So, in response to OP, most consistent, knowing I'm going to spray a few, but lesson the damage on the spray. Distance and straight balls is why I get fit, regardless of club

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I had got series of Golftec lessons, it included a fitting. I had suspected that my driver was really bad for me, but having someone do the numbers of spin, launch, strike pattern showed how bad. Then just demoing a few drivers and showing what I got from one head to another. Getting a well fit club let me work on certain parts of the swing instead of fighting the ill-fit driver too

• Like 1

WITB

G400 10.5 

M2 3HL

Titleist 818 3 and 4 hybrid 

Ping G15 5-gap

Vokey SM7 54 degrees 

Vokey SM6 58 degrees 

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

58 minutes ago, LeftyRM7 said:

Unfortunately, as this thread has shown, many people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to fittings. You’re rarely going to see a sizable immediate jump in performance. It will not drop your scores over night and take you from a 18 to a 10 handicap. A fitting is a tool to rate your equipment and raise your potential. It gives you knowledge to help you improve. That’s it! What you do with that information will determine if you improve or not. Their is no magic, you have to put in the work to get better. Like most things in life, you only get out what you put into it.

For me, getting my delivery data, ball flight data and the fitters thoughts and ideas is what I’m looking for. I leave with piece of mind that my equipment is not holding me back and I can go to work on my swing with better knowledge about my game.

Maybe I phrased the original question poorly, but this is more along the lines of what I was looking for.   Assume you have the best fitter and he puts you into perfect equipment.   Do you expect more greens, more fairways, to shoot 5 strokes lower every round, improved handicap, or something else? Do you expect the improvements every round or just improved averages over time.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Maybe I phrased the original question poorly, but this is more along the lines of what I was looking for.   Assume you have the best fitter and he puts you into perfect equipment.   Do you expect more greens, more fairways, to shoot 5 strokes lower every round, improved handicap, or something else? Do you expect the improvements every round or just improved averages over time.  

I have no expectations my scores will drop. That still requires me to execute golf shots. The fitting just gives me the best match to my swing to try and accomplish that

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I am planning to get a fitting done within the next 6-8 months. My Irons are from model year 2010 so I think new iron technology will lend itself to some increased distance  and hopefully increased forgiveness and consistency. In general though I view a fitting as another tool or modality in the quest for playing better golf. The same as taking lessons and practicing, I believe a good fitting is just another component a player has to get more performance out of their game.  I hope to improve my handicap but definitely not expecting that from a fitting...but I am hoping for that from my lessons!

14 hours ago, Middler said:

Relax. I wasn’t looking for an argument, and didn’t think I’d have to explain. If you’re 5 degrees off line and hit it 320 yards you’ve probably missed the fairway. If you’re 5 degrees offline and hit it 175 yards you’re probably still in the fairway. I thought everyone who plays golf understood that...

And again touring pros play tighter courses than most of us. We’re not comparable, apples and oranges.

What does your 5* theory have to do with the amount of fairways you hit.  In your original post, you said you had two good days of driving and one less than good.  I took your statement to mean that you find it unacceptable to hit fewer fairways with a driver that was to improve the bell curve.  I'm asking you to look at the 'consistency' a PGA Tour player achieves day to day, therefore the actual number of fairways is not relevant.  They display a large range of volatility, therefore so should you.  As an example, the same would hold true for scoring.  Professional players have a season scoring range between 12-18 shots (I believe the average is 16 shots) during a given year.  (65 low round & 83 high round)  Therefore, if your low round is 85, your high round is likely between 97-103 or slightly higher since we are not as good as professional golfers.  

Recognizing patterns of the best players is precisely the reason some players are better than others and the same holds true at all levels of the game.  Some are smarter about the game due to nature or nurture.  If a player has poor expectations, they tend to get frustrated easily over the normal variability of the game.   Want to guess whether the hardheaded or open minded players tend to be better? 

BTW, your 5* theory works in a sterile world, however, it doesn't really work in a practical sense.  The reason is that great drivers on tour range between starting their golf ball 3* left or right of their target line and use curvature to maintain a predictable cone. On tour the cones are about 50 yards wide with equal balls left and right of a centered target.  The players who aren't as good still average roughly 50 yards but have greater dispersion on the outliers.  Most amateur golfers also have roughly a 50 yard wide cone but often display outliers that are further off line.  That said, the reason why tour players are more successful is they know how to target or place that cone in play and amateurs do not.  Amateurs tend to place only half of the cone in a receptive area and pros tend to place the entire cone in receptive area.  Studying shotlink data provides clues how the best play and can be useful in helping amateur golfers of all levels become more successful at the game.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, cnosil said:

I‘d hope for improved scoring over time, mostly eliminating the occasional high scores from poor tee to green play (putting and chipping are another category). IOW a smaller SD in scoring, a new normal distribution. A 5 stroke improvement would be wonderful, but I think 2-3 strokes is more realistic. 

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
11 minutes ago, edteergolf said:

What does your 5* theory have to do with the amount of fairways you hit.  In your original post, you said you had two good days of driving and one less than good.  I took your statement to mean that you find it unacceptable to hit fewer fairways with a driver that was to improve the bell curve.  I'm asking you to look at the 'consistency' a PGA Tour player achieves day to day, therefore the actual number of fairways is not relevant.  They display a large range of volatility, therefore so should you.  As an example, the same would hold true for scoring.  Professional players have a season scoring range between 12-18 shots (I believe the average is 16 shots) during a given year.  (65 low round & 83 high round)  Therefore, if your low round is 85, your high round is likely between 97-103 or slightly higher since we are not as good as professional golfers.  

Recognizing patterns of the best players is precisely the reason some players are better than others and the same holds true at all levels of the game.  Some are smarter about the game due to nature or nurture.  If a player has poor expectations, they tend to get frustrated easily over the normal variability of the game.   Want to guess whether the hardheaded or open minded players tend to be better? 

BTW, your 5* theory works in a sterile world, however, it doesn't really work in a practical sense.  The reason is that great drivers on tour range between starting their golf ball 3* left or right of their target line and use curvature to maintain a predictable cone. On tour the cones are about 50 yards wide with equal balls left and right of a centered target.  The players who aren't as good still average roughly 50 yards but have greater dispersion on the outliers.  Most amateur golfers also have roughly a 50 yard wide cone but often display outliers that are further off line.  That said, the reason why tour players are more successful is they know how to target or place that cone in play and amateurs do not.  Amateurs tend to place only half of the cone in a receptive area and pros tend to place the entire cone in receptive area.  Studying shotlink data provides clues how the best play and can be useful in helping amateur golfers of all levels become more successful at the game.  

Yawn. We agree to disagree. Let’s not further hijack the OP’s thread.

• Snell MTB-Black
I‘d hope for improved scoring over time, mostly eliminating the occasional high scores from poor tee to green play (putting and chipping are another category). IOW a smaller SD in scoring, a new normal distribution. A 5 stroke improvement would be wonderful, but I think 2-3 strokes is more realistic. 

Hopefully you will keep us informed on you long term results from your driver fitting.

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hopefully you will keep us informed on you long term results from your driver fitting.

Will do. I shouldn’t have said anything until after at least 20 rounds...that’ll be months from now.

• Like 1
  • Snell MTB-Black
Will do. I shouldn’t have said anything until after at least 20 rounds...that’ll be months from now.

It was fine to say something and I appreciate that you did. My question was asked simply because I read a lot of people saying their fitting didn’t work for them so I was curious what their expectations were once they got back on the course.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but your initial response was really very telling. Even though you know better, You expected good results every time you play. Since there are so many variable improvement can only be measured over time and many rounds. The same discussion could be applied to lessons or technology and what is the expected improvement.

Again, your initial gut response was great. We (myself included)are immediate gratification type people.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

It was fine to say something and I appreciate that you did. My question was asked simply because I read a lot of people saying their fitting didn’t work for them so I was curious what their expectations were once they got back on the course.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but your initial response was really very telling. Even though you know better, You expected good results every time you play. Since there are so many variable improvement can only be measured over time and many rounds. The same discussion could be applied to lessons or technology and what is the expected improvement.

Again, your initial gut response was great. We (myself included)are immediate gratification type people.

Actually I most certainly didn’t expect good results every time I play at all. I’ve played long enough to know every round is different and the scoring SD is wide. I keep stats on every round, have for years. I was just surprised to have two unusually good rounds followed by one unusually bad (worse than any of the last 25 rounds played with my previous stock driver). Both outside my normal good and bad range. But again, I should’ve waited for at least 20 rounds before saying anything.

• Like 1
  • Snell MTB-Black
6 minutes ago, Middler said:

Actually I didn’t expect good results every time I play at all. I’ve played long enough to know every round is different and the scoring SD is wide. I keep stats on every round, have for years. I was just surprised to have two unusually good rounds followed by one unusually bad (worse than any of the last 25 rounds played with my previous stock driver). But again, I should’ve waited for at least 20 rounds before saying anything.

Do you track dispersion in any way? You talked about missing fairways and that the fitted driver is no better or no worse at that. Curious how you track that?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I expect to leave with a set up tailored to my swing. When I do a fitting I plan on buying as long as performance is optimized.

Also, I know Trackman is nice, but I'll only do a fitting where I can see the ball flight and not just rely on monitors.

Last year I was looking for new irons and went to golf galaxy. I know my distance and my 7iron is roughly 165 on a solid hit. On their monitors the 7i was flying 190+roll. Not just the newer one, but my decade old TMs as well. I can't trust it.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

Take Dead Aim

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Do you track dispersion in any way? You talked about missing fairways and that the fitted driver is no better or no worse at that. Curious how you track that?

Thanks for asking but let’s end the hijack so the OP can get answers to his questions. I’ll say more in a separate thread after 20-25 rounds if there’s anything of interest.

• Snell MTB-Black

If we use the analogy of the Indian or the arrow, I expect the arrows to be sharpened and shaped to the ideal conditions for me to have the greatest success on the course. Or to receive an honest assessment if my current arrows are perfectly tuned to me.

After that, it's up to me to consistently work and practice to see improvements in score.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH - Aldila Synergy Blue 50 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        :taylormade-small: TP5x

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Thanks for asking but let’s end the hijack so the OP can get answers to his questions. I’ll say more in a separate thread after 20-25 rounds if there’s anything of interest.

It was a simple question about how you track and is relevant to the OP imo. Hopefully you share this in whatever thread you decide to post your results in. 

I think I also have the unrealistic expectation that I will be able to have a super nerdy conversation about shafts, clubheads, lie angles, etc.

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

I plan to get fitted for a full bag at some point this season with the intent of buying new irons and a driver immediately since most of my bag is ~12 years old. Fairway wood & a hybrid are a maybe depending on where budget ends up for the first 2; otherwise I may try to pick up the latter when new stuff comes out next year and I can score a deal.

As far as the fitting itself, I'm expecting the fitter to take my shortlist of clubs and get me the right head/shaft combo that will allow me to keep working on my game without fighting equipment that isn't right for me.  My current irons are standard length & 1° upright which was determined from nothing more than a lie board while hitting into a net at GG back when I purchased them. My driver is also a regular flex shaft and I'm pretty sure that along with my lie angles is incorrect. I'm not expecting to see a dramatic drop in scores just from changing equipment, but I am hoping that it brings a little bit of consistency to my misses. 

Edited by ChitownM2