Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Chippers - Callaway X Act Tank Chipper

viking

Seems like a fantastic club. I have a chipper, not this model and I love it can play it around the green and up to 80 yards out, dead straight all the time. I think this model is the best. Why did Callaway stop making it because it is legal and works great for most golfers? Lots of good videos on the web on this from Callaway and many reviews form many publications. Anyone have one or used one?

X-ACT Tank Chipper - View 2

https://au.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/odyssey-putters/x-act-tank-chippers/putters-2016-x-act-tank-chipper.html

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

Id say they probably stopped making it because they didnt sell very many of them.  Most golfers turn their nose at chippers.  I used to have a Callaway chipper and it was a nice little club.  I simply hate to carry a chipper and have a club that is kind of 1 trick pony when I could just do the same thing with a 7 or 8 iron and get the same result.

Some people like chippers though and thats cool.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

28 minutes ago, Retrogolfer36 said:

Id say they probably stopped making it because they didnt sell very many of them.  Most golfers turn their nose at chippers.  I used to have a Callaway chipper and it was a nice little club.  I simply hate to carry a chipper and have a club that is kind of 1 trick pony when I could just do the same thing with a 7 or 8 iron and get the same result.

I use mine (won it in a golf tournament, not a Callawy) for many types of shots like I said from 80 yards out even on a par 3 tee plus just off the green, always goes perfectly straight. I know many golfers egos won't allow them to use it but for us average golfers this is perfect. Al the videos from Callaway's top designer was really good and he did many types of shots, this one is unique with the marksman on it.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

I friend of mine has one of these clubs and he uses it to great success around the greens and even sometimes out of the bunker if there is not much lip to deal with. He is quite deadly with it some days and then other days not so much.

:taylormade-small: M5 9° Driver Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3 Wood VA Raijin 74 Four

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5 Wood  Fuji Ventus Blue 6 Stiff

:honma: 19° 3 Hybrid Patterson Balistic Hut30

:honma: TW-X Irons Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S

:honma:TW Wedges 54°/60° Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S

:odyssey-small: EXO Putter

A few years back I thought I needed a chipper and then I got really good with my 7 iron for bump and runs and my 60* for green side rough and bunkers. Having a chipper would have taken very valuable space in my bag.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

A few years back I thought I needed a chipper and then I got really good with my 7 iron for bump and runs and my 60* for green side rough and bunkers. Having a chipper would have taken very valuable space in my bag.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
That's my only issue with them. Why carry a chipper that's only go for very specific shots when I can do the same thing with a 7 or 8-iron? I like chippers, I really do but I hate wasting a spot in the bag for a special club when I could adapt to hitting the same shot with a club I'm already carrying. I find that I can take a fairway wood, hybrid, iron or wedge and do the same thing.
I like my fairway wood for chips out of the rough because the design of the head cuts through the grass. I like a 7-iron for chips that fly a short distance and roll for a bit. I like a wedge for a chip where I'm kind of short sided and want to kind of have the shot die shortly after the ball lands.
I do think that chipper can be good because it kind of pops the ball up in the air and it kind of dies after that and the wide sole and rounded leading edge makes it difficult to chunk it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Anybody try one or see one in use on a course?

Anyone see them as new in a retail store?

Seems like it would be the top chipper. It was for a couple of years when i did a YouTube search of top chippers. I think this wold be even better than my chipper with the marksman markings and its wider design.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:08 PM, viking said:

I use mine (won it in a golf tournament, not a Callawy) for many types of shots like I said from 80 yards out even on a par 3 tee plus just off the green, always goes perfectly straight. I know many golfers egos won't allow them to use it but for us average golfers this is perfect. Al the videos from Callaway's top designer was really good and he did many types of shots, this one is unique with the marksman on it.

It's always all about finding what works best for you.  Though, the previously mentioned stigma towards chippers is very real.  Everyone I work with/golf with considers a chipper to be a "cheat club for old men."  The same is also applied to wedges with lofts higher than 60⁰.  If you can truly turn a club intended for short shots around the green into a club that works from even further out, then that's even better!  Forget what everyone else thinks, use what works for you.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

The missus loves hers - She has an X-Tank. 

There isn't much point of her putting another long club in her bag, but the chipper gives her confidence and makes her happier on the course. 

Is it a crutch for someone who isn't very good? Sure. But we're not professionals.

I use it out on the course every now and again for the fun of it. And the are fun.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

• 3 months later...

I picked one of these up today as my chipping yips have returned with a vengeance.  I have the square strike wedge at 45 degrees however I wanted to try one with less loft and the Wilson has 37 degrees loft which is in the 7 iron range.  As for folks making fun with my "specialty club", they learned a lesson with the pocket picker aka square strike. 😉

Wilson Harmonized Chipper

wilconchipper.jpg.6a54060c82905f92ff0db824978e7e63.jpgWilson-Harmonized-Chipper (1).jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I use a Cleveland Smartsole 3 "C" wedge.  Between the big head with lots of bounce and the shorter more upright shaft, I hit that thing great. Some days I'll use it from 120 yards in. A good friend who had one previously and only used it to bump and run around the greens played with me one day and said "you need a whole bag of those". Ironically, the last month or so the one place I can't seem to use it well is around the greens (i.e. it's main purpose). I have been looking really hard at the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons, however, because they would be pretty close to having a bag full of chunky irons that fit my swing.

I understand the the "why would I carry and extra wedge when I can do the same thing with 7 or 8".  The thing is, I can't do the same thing, at least not consistently, with my other irons (TM M2's).

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

5 hours ago, elvis14 said:

I use a Cleveland Smartsole 3 "C" wedge.  Between the big head with lots of bounce and the shorter more upright shaft, I hit that thing great. Some days I'll use it from 120 yards in. A good friend who had one previously and only used it to bump and run around the greens played with me one day and said "you need a whole bag of those". Ironically, the last month or so the one place I can't seem to use it well is around the greens (i.e. it's main purpose). I have been looking really hard at the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo Irons, however, because they would be pretty close to having a bag full of chunky irons that fit my swing.

I understand the the "why would I carry and extra wedge when I can do the same thing with 7 or 8".  The thing is, I can't do the same thing, at least not consistently, with my other irons (TM M2's).

I have the S wedge and I've used it occasionally around the greens to chip, however it's money out of the sand so it's keeping it's place in my bag (for now). I had a chipper when I started playing 4-5 years ago but I moved on from it pretty quickly. It just didn't do anything for me that a 7i or 8i could already do.

re: HB Turbo irons - those got a lot of love here for how amazingly forgiving they are.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I just bought the Cleveland smart sole 4 chipper and love it.  I originally was looking for someth8ng a little closer to the Callaway in your picture.  I agree there seems to be a stigma among a certain facet of the golf world.  I think for the average schmoes out there like me, it’s a club that will help lower scores.  More people should carry them.  

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

I just bought the Cleveland smart sole 4 chipper and love it.  I originally was looking for someth8ng a little closer to the Callaway in your picture.  I agree there seems to be a stigma among a certain facet of the golf world.  I think for the average schmoes out there like me, it’s a club that will help lower scores.  More people should carry them.  

I carry one and not one bit embarrassed 🏌️♂️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

I carry one and not one bit embarrassed emoji1303.png🏌️♂️emoji466.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Same here.  BTW, thanks for your review of Cleveland launcher HB irons.  Been reading that thread lately (it's 20 pages!) and really appreciate the work you and Wedgie put in to test those sticks.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/5/2020 at 4:02 PM, russtopherb said:

I have the S wedge and I've used it occasionally around the greens to chip, however it's money out of the sand so it's keeping it's place in my bag (for now). I had a chipper when I started playing 4-5 years ago but I moved on from it pretty quickly. It just didn't do anything for me that a 7i or 8i could already do.

re: HB Turbo irons - those got a lot of love here for how amazingly forgiving they are.

After a case of the yips. I went with a chipper and soon realized, I have a full set of chippers with the HB Turbos. Thank god for these clubs. 

• 3 months later...

I just put Arccos on my clubs, and realized I've used my 58* once in 7 rounds played.  I think  a "one trick pony" chipper, over the "no trick pony" 58* may be the better call.  The only other option is a 19* 5w/3h for the 25yard gap between my 3W & 4H, but that's a shot I don't face very often, while a chip opportunity seems to come up every 2-3 holes.

My counter to the "one trick pony" comment is that a driver & putter are single use clubs as well, but if you ride that pony often enough, it deserves a spot in the bag.  

ROGUE ST MAX 9* - Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65 Graphite stiff

GBB Epic Pro Tour 15* - Matrix Radix HD 7 stiff

Cleveland Mashie 20.5* - Miyazaki 5G Stiff

PXG O211 4-G - Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Callaway Mac Daddy CB 54* & 58* - KBS shafts.

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - PXG Multi-Material M16 Putter Shaft plumbers neck 

• 2 weeks later...

Want to sound like somebody from the Jurassic Age?

Mention the Matzie "Velvet Touch" brass head chipper.

They were everywhere.

Those of us who had them had to give them up to make room for the new "LOB WEDGE."

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 10 months later...

Take this for what it's worth!

(IMO, Anyone who shoots regularly in 80's or higher should be using a Chipper!)

I have a single digit hdcp at my home course, and I use a Chipper, it's probably the 3rd most used club in my bag, behind my putter and driver. 

I have been through it all with my golf game over the years, including the chip yips. I have tried all the techniques, usually with some success for a short amount of time. Using the bounce, Putting with irons, hybrids, etc, etc. I also have tried many Chippers over the years. Cleveland Niblick, putter styles, etc. 

I currently use the mallet putter style and love it. I have two, but both are mallet putter style. 

Honestly, I can still chip pretty decent/good without a Chipper. But, that being said, I am a great chipper using the Chipper. The crazy thing is I just went back to them two months ago, and my hdcp has dropped about 2 strokes. I believe the better golfer/chipper you are, the better you will be with a Chipper. Plus, if you are not a good chipper, you can become decent/good with a Chipper. 

I play all the time with good players (70's, 80's Shooters) who cost themselves strokes around the green because they refuse to use a Chipper to help them. Especially the guys who shoot in the 80's. They make doubles and triples all the time from just around the green. They chunk it, thin it across, etc. etc. They may hit a good shot say 50 percent of the time and great shot every now and then. But all it takes is 1 or 2 doubles and you are not shooting in the 70's. A Chipper takes that score out of the equation for me, and many times still leaves birdie as an option. I have made more chips with a Chipper than I ever have with a regular club. 

I admit, I usually hit lots of greens, 10+ or so a round, when I play golf. When I miss, it is usually not that far off the green, 10 to 20 yards at most, unless I just hit a terrible shot, or weather is a factor. But, when I miss a green, I know most times the worst score I going to get is a bogey. I might chip in for birdie, many times I get it inside 5 foot for a good par look, but almost always I get it into a position I can get down in two shots for bogey at worse. 

I took out my 60 degree wedge, and just open my 54 degree wedge for lobs, sand, etc. Lets face it, 80's plus players probably should not be hitting lob wedges anyway. Very low percentage shot for them. 

I am always preaching to the guys I play with about the advantages of a Chipper, and they will see it in person, yet they still won't buy in. Even testers on Youtube will test them and say how good they work, but then add that "they" would never use one. It's hilarious really. They pull it out for the first time and start hitting good shots with them without even practicing most times. Imagine what they could do with it after some practice. 

Another thing that amazes me is guys will spend $500 on a Driver, $250 on a Putter, if they think it will make them better, but they won't spend less that $50 on a Chipper to make them better. 

Like I said before, I prefer the mallet putter style Chippers over the Square Edge, or Cleveland style. I don't hit full shots with my Chipper. The longest shot I would hit would be a 50 yard bump and run with it, and I use it a lot for those type of bump and run shots on short par 4's  and long par 5's.  Especially in the wind. My main priority to to get the ball on the green, period. 

The two Chippers I use are the Pinemeadow Chipper and the Acer Chipper. I chose them after testing many. The Pinemeadow is a little heavier and has less drag than the Acer. It also has an offset hosel vs the regular hosel for the Acer. They both are under $50!

They are also great for trouble shots under trees, punch outs, and windy or bad weather conditions. Plus, if you have a family, full time job, and only play once in a while, you don't have to practice much to use one very well. Remember I don't want to make anything higher than a bogey. You can make 7 bogeys and still shoot in the 70's! 

I'll keep using my Chipper and taking the jabs from my buddies. It's always fun to Jab them back with a Chip in!

Once again, if you can't break 80, you are hurting yourself if you don't use a Chipper! (Just my my opinion)

2 hours ago, podunker said:

Take this for what it's worth!

(IMO, Anyone who shoots regularly in 80's or higher should be using a Chipper!)

I have a single digit hdcp at my home course, and I use a Chipper, it's probably the 3rd most used club in my bag, behind my putter and driver. 

I have been through it all with my golf game over the years, including the chip yips. I have tried all the techniques, usually with some success for a short amount of time. Using the bounce, Putting with irons, hybrids, etc, etc. I also have tried many Chippers over the years. Cleveland Niblick, putter styles, etc. 

I currently use the mallet putter style and love it. I have two, but both are mallet putter style. 

Honestly, I can still chip pretty decent/good without a Chipper. But, that being said, I am a great chipper using the Chipper. The crazy thing is I just went back to them two months ago, and my hdcp has dropped about 2 strokes. I believe the better golfer/chipper you are, the better you will be with a Chipper. Plus, if you are not a good chipper, you can become decent/good with a Chipper. 

I play all the time with good players (70's, 80's Shooters) who cost themselves strokes around the green because they refuse to use a Chipper to help them. Especially the guys who shoot in the 80's. They make doubles and triples all the time from just around the green. They chunk it, thin it across, etc. etc. They may hit a good shot say 50 percent of the time and great shot every now and then. But all it takes is 1 or 2 doubles and you are not shooting in the 70's. A Chipper takes that score out of the equation for me, and many times still leaves birdie as an option. I have made more chips with a Chipper than I ever have with a regular club. 

I admit, I usually hit lots of greens, 10+ or so a round, when I play golf. When I miss, it is usually not that far off the green, 10 to 20 yards at most, unless I just hit a terrible shot, or weather is a factor. But, when I miss a green, I know most times the worst score I going to get is a bogey. I might chip in for birdie, many times I get it inside 5 foot for a good par look, but almost always I get it into a position I can get down in two shots for bogey at worse. 

I took out my 60 degree wedge, and just open my 54 degree wedge for lobs, sand, etc. Lets face it, 80's plus players probably should not be hitting lob wedges anyway. Very low percentage shot for them. 

I am always preaching to the guys I play with about the advantages of a Chipper, and they will see it in person, yet they still won't buy in. Even testers on Youtube will test them and say how good they work, but then add that "they" would never use one. It's hilarious really. They pull it out for the first time and start hitting good shots with them without even practicing most times. Imagine what they could do with it after some practice. 

Another thing that amazes me is guys will spend $500 on a Driver, $250 on a Putter, if they think it will make them better, but they won't spend less that $50 on a Chipper to make them better. 

Like I said before, I prefer the mallet putter style Chippers over the Square Edge, or Cleveland style. I don't hit full shots with my Chipper. The longest shot I would hit would be a 50 yard bump and run with it, and I use it a lot for those type of bump and run shots on short par 4's  and long par 5's.  Especially in the wind. My main priority to to get the ball on the green, period. 

The two Chippers I use are the Pinemeadow Chipper and the Acer Chipper. I chose them after testing many. The Pinemeadow is a little heavier and has less drag than the Acer. It also has an offset hosel vs the regular hosel for the Acer. They both are under $50!

They are also great for trouble shots under trees, punch outs, and windy or bad weather conditions. Plus, if you have a family, full time job, and only play once in a while, you don't have to practice much to use one very well. Remember I don't want to make anything higher than a bogey. You can make 7 bogeys and still shoot in the 70's! 

I'll keep using my Chipper and taking the jabs from my buddies. It's always fun to Jab them back with a Chip in!

Once again, if you can't break 80, you are hurting yourself if you don't use a Chipper! (Just my my opinion)

Great points.  I just ordered myself a Cleveland Smart Sole 4 chipper yesterday and can't wait to get it in.  I'm a 16 HDCP but after reviewing my stats, I'm losing 5-7 strokes a game on my shoots 60 yds and in.

I'm looking forward to gaining confidence in my chipping.

PXG Gen 4 0811X 7.5 degree Evenflow CB 50g

PXG Gen 4 0841X 3 Wood Evenflow CB 60g

PXG Gen 4 0817XF Hybrid 22 degree Evenflow 80g

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 52

Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 56

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Maxfli Tour Gloss White Golf Balls

Maxfli Tour X Gloss White Golf Balls

Personally, never really worked for me.  I just ground it out, took some lessons and became better (really more experienced) around the greens with wedges and a 7i.  A lot of personal preference, but if it works for you - go!   I saw Ping came out with something similar.  

I have 2 golden oldies.  Favorite is a 1950s or 60s Don Martin Up-n-In, bronze no grooves.  Also have a Stan Thompson stainless Closup with big grooves.  The problem with using a 6 iron or 7 iron, is the length of the shaft and the lie angle.  What club to drop?  How many clubs longer than a 5 iron do you actually use at least 3 or 4 times per round?  The chipper might be used on half your holes. 

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

The main thing with chipping, regardless if it's with a wedge/7I or even a putter is maintaining your concentration on the shot. As I/we get older, the tendency to screw the shot up, because of a loss of focus seems to be the major fault, at least for me and what I've observed from my playing companions. Now that being said, using a chipper could offer some leeway for errors, but even that will not produce desired results, if you loose your concentration.   

Total Callaway bag - except putter

Anyone CAN learn to chip with a lower lofted club, true but,,,,,,,

The new Ping ChipR is a putter with a 9iron’ish head thereby giving the opportunity to chip with the best success stance and action of a putter. At 6’ 3” and +1 irons my chipping stance is still no where near my putting stance due to club lie angle and length and makes chipping contact much more imperfect than a mishit with my putter.

Overall success of a better strike, and result is increased with the putter over a iron. Ah ha,,,, the chipper!

The oldest gentleman in our group uses a chipper, something from years gone by, and it pisses me off. Not because he uses it but because he’s darn good with it! He struggles some from high ruff with a wedge but everywhere else that chipper usually puts him in one putt, or pick up range.

I can use a wedge, 6, 7 or 8 from anywhere around the green pretty well and usually get up and down but I have no ego and ordered the new Ping ChipR. Anything to help drop 2, 3 or more strokes a round is the difference between shooting mid 80’s into the high 70’s.

We’ll see how it works out. Or not.

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft