Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Chippers - Callaway X Act Tank Chipper

viking

It has arrived,

My ChipR arrived today and right to the practice green. Let me say I rarely putt from off the green, typically a 6 iron from the fringe then 8 and 7, distances depending. I neverI felt this club was mandatory but just wanted a more consistent “go to” club for chipping, eliminating indecisiveness between club selection.

First impression, the head is heavy but didn’t produce the roll out I assumed for the head weight. I usually put a good amount of spin on short shots and the ChipR will spin accordingly to strike. Got the Alta CB shaft at +1” with +1/32 grip and it aligns just as my putter does with a nice quality feel and look. Probably will put on a CP2 Midsize grip as with my other clubs just for feel consistency.

Could only spend 20 minutes chipping and it will take some practice to get the stroke grooved for desired speed. The club is “aim-and-shoot” accurate! On 45ish foot chips I came up short but within the 3/5 foot range, once again speed/spin control. Longer chips were typically short but fear of “going way long” was the issue. Shorter 12/18 foot chips were pick-ups, just inches from the hole. Didn’t chip one in but did have a few edge burners. For me that’s turning a maybe par into a “pick it up, nice par”.

It is awesome from heavy, buried crabgrass lie’s and pops the ball right out just the same as from a smooth froghair lie without extra effort. Once I figure out what the loft will give me it’ll become a proficient, consistent and confident addition. Bottom line, it’s a keeper until it proves not to be!

Should probably spend a bit more practice time with it but it’s In the bag for tomorrow’s round! Success under fire. 😉 

“Adventure Before Dementia “

PING G425 4-UW/SW Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex / ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5* / 3W 14*/ 5W 17.5* / 3hyb. 19* / 9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD 4J Prototype / 1968 Anser / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone RX - TreoSoft

• 2 months later...

Absolutely love mine. Had it only a few days but during each of the two rounds I've used it and am quite confident it has "saved" me each time. 

I'm not hugely confident with those short chips from 2 to 5yds off the green, especially now the weather is turning wet...and that 1st cut can get sticky. 

It's not only eliminating scuffed or thinned chips...it gets me right up to "gimme" range so is also eliminating putts. 

Extra weight in the bag? I have an electric trolley so no issue.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2020 at 5:22 PM, viking said:

Anybody try one or see one in use on a course?

Anyone see them as new in a retail store?

Seems like it would be the top chipper. It was for a couple of years when i did a YouTube search of top chippers. I think this wold be even better than my chipper with the marksman markings and its wider design.

I saw one today at the PGA Tour Superstore.  Is Odyssey making these again?

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x